Author Topic: AN INTERVIEW WITH MIKE SINCLAIR, SKATEBOARDING’S MOST FAMOUS TEAM MANAGER  (Read 16557 times)

rejectpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
Fluffy

Violator

• Rep: 73
Good interview, seems like a great guy. Needs to watch his back around the snuggle bandit though  ;)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
good quick read.

True Blue is one of my favorite videos and it's sucks to know that dekline was profitable, but not profitable enough to be worth the work.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Juicy tidbits in there.

• When I saw Blake Carpenter’s stuff early on I didn’t think he was that good."
  • "Tum Yeto isn’t able to give per diems, so if I see someone on a trip struggling, then we’re either gonna share something or I’ll buy him lunch cause we’re not gonna leave anyone out there dying."
  • "I do know that Dekline didn’t go out of business because of a bigger company. It was profitable when they pulled the plug, but it just wasn’t worth their time, it was so small."

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Not as satisfying as his free lunch.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
"You a pig"-  Forrest Edwards

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I do know that Dekline didn’t go out of business because of a bigger company

- lol  -

Samuel Gorgompus

Surprised he didn’t talk about Leticia on Foundation.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Damn I wish that was longer. It'd be nice to have TMs getting interviewed more often, they've got a good perspective on the industry that's between the skating side and the business side.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
I think it’s super lame that Tum Yeto doesn’t pay those dudes per diem. “Hey just set your life aside for a month to go across the country with us and put yourselves in harms way, but we aren’t going to feed you. You’ll have to figure that shit out on your own.” Fuck that. Have a smaller team that you can actually take care of. The latest chromeball states it best in the sense of skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. Nike does that and I am happy for anyone afforded that opportunity. Foundation has a rad team. Oddity is IMO the best full length to come out in recent memory. It bums me out to know those dudes aren’t really taken care of.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
I think it’s super lame that Tum Yeto doesn’t pay those dudes per diem. “Hey just set your life aside for a month to go across the country with us and put yourselves in harms way, but we aren’t going to feed you. You’ll have to figure that shit out on your own.” Fuck that. Have a smaller team that you can actually take care of. The latest chromeball states it best in the sense of skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. Nike does that and I am happy for anyone afforded that opportunity. Foundation has a rad team. Oddity is IMO the best full length to come out in recent memory. It bums me out to know those dudes aren’t really taken care of.

it's not like they aren't getting paid per diem and the owner is out driving around in a ferrari you dipshit.  there's a reason..
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
For me it's crazy that Tum Yeto crew is killing themselves without any contract or food... It was also mentioned before that the Foundation team has only board incentives.

I don't think that they aren't that small, also if you can't afford 15 guys on your team better have 5 and pay them...

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
Expand Quote
[close]

it's not like they aren't getting paid per diem and the owner is out driving around in a ferrari you dipshit.  there's a reason..

Oh yeah I forgot how important it is for Templetits creepy photos of innocent bystanders to be published in a book. It’s not like I think the heads at Tum Yeto are killing it. I think it’s dumb to have such a large team to where if you had half the dudes you could afford to actually take care of them. You dipshit.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Why doesn't he hook any Foundation dudes up with Nike connections?

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh yeah I forgot how important it is for Templetits creepy photos of innocent bystanders to be published in a book. It’s not like I think the heads at Tum Yeto are killing it. I think it’s dumb to have such a large team to where if you had half the dudes you could afford to actually take care of them. You dipshit.

you are probably also one of those people that think decks can stay $50 for ever
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
For me it's crazy that Tum Yeto crew is killing themselves without any contract or food... It was also mentioned before that the Foundation team has only board incentives.

I don't think that they aren't that small
, also if you can't afford 15 guys on your team better have 5 and pay them...

I don't think that you shouldn't have not dropped out of English class.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
For example, I still feel that shop decks are making Tum Yeto smaller and smaller. People don’t see how the shop blank or the random local company that has 50 boards for sale will mean there aren’t gonna be any more demos coming through town or your favorite pro isn’t going to get paid by the board company in the future

this fucking argument again. i can only speak for shops in canada, but if a shop buys a board from a distro for $47.50 (low end average) to $54 (high end average) and sell the board for $80-85, no one is making money on selling pro decks.

thats why shop boards exist, so the store can afford to lose money on pro branded product. make it more profitable to sell branded stuff or shut up.

im surprised he didnt say he praised primitive for selling direct to customer or something.

him bitching about random local companies is fucking stupid, if you arent selling enough boards because a smaller brand is taking your share of the market that means you arent doing your job.

the local brands boards are probably cheaper than what tum yeto is selling decks to shops for.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
That interview was boring.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Good interview, seems like a great guy. Needs to watch his back around the snuggle bandit though  ;)

Yikes
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

fs overkrook

Dylan Witkin

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image

I agree, this is dog shit treatment. Borderline exploitation. I wouldn't accept this kind of deal in my professional life. Shows how bad skaters are at looking out for themselves
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
Sinclair looks great in that photo. Really going for the King Kong Bundy look.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]
Dylan Witkin

that one actually wasn't through Sinclair.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Coolhats

Expand Quote
[close]

I agree, this is dog shit treatment. Borderline exploitation. I wouldn't accept this kind of deal in my professional life. Shows how bad skaters are at looking out for themselves

Definitely a bummer, but I assume it’s gotta be because Foundation simply doesn’t have the money. They probably pay for plane tickets or van and hotel rooms, stuff like that.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Definitely a bummer, but I assume it’s gotta be because Foundation simply doesn’t have the money. They probably pay for plane tickets or van and hotel rooms, stuff like that.

I guess I just don’t have a firm grasp on the economics of skateboarding circa 2018.

I mean I realize that there is an oversupply of available talent so skaters aren’t in a great negotiating position but when the higher ups insist that there is no money available in a company that does business in 50 states and multiple countries and that everyone, top to bottom is just scraping by it is baffling.

Fucking pizza places do better business and their owners and employees are better off if this line is true.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

if my employer told me i had to take a month long road trip, but i had to pay for all my own food and expenses along the way, i would find another job. i'm not a 17 year old kid going on a skate trip with my friends, i'm an adult with bills and shit.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

if my employer told me i had to take a month long road trip, but i had to pay for all my own food and expenses along the way, i would find another job. i'm not a 17 year old kid going on a skate trip with my friends, i'm an adult with bills and shit.
Have you seen KOTR lately? Foundation is basically a group of kids. They totally look like they have a great time together though. It blows they don't get paid per diem on trips,but no one has dipped to another team...so what's the incentive for staying?

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.

It's interesting to me that a guy like Terp (or even John Fitzgerald) is fully on Nike but Cole Wilson has no shoe sponsor. And I'm not throwing shade on Terp or Fitz because I've always loved them both. Just saying Cole deserves way better by comparison.