Author Topic: SkateHoarders: John Rattray  (Read 1934 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
SkateHoarders: John Rattray
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:36:01 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRszuUytKsg

Whole bunch of weirdness in here.  Still my preferred Zero team rider.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: SkateHoarders: John Rattray
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:44:25 PM »
For some reason this one bummed me out. I usually love the skatehoarders series but I'm not sure what we saw qualified as a hoard per se. I mean that was a big stack of boards in the basement but I feel like you might just wind up with something like that if you were a pro for a while.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:13 AM »
Yea not really sure I'd qualify that as hoarding, but I'll take any coverage of John Rattray I can get. Also him talking about the Zero graphics made me feel kind of uncomfortable.

cloudy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
For some reason this one bummed me out.

Also him talking about the Zero graphics made me feel kind of uncomfortable.

oh man, i'm glad i wasn't the only one. he seemed so bummed on all the zero graphics. from what i could see, he only had one zero board actually hanging on the wall. i'm not saying that dudes need to have all of their pro models on display, but i would think that, especially for how long he was on zero, he would have at least some of his teammates' boards hanging up. he was definitely more stoked on discussing the antihero sarcasm series boards. it seems like maybe that's a closer fit with his personality. i remember being so hyped on his part in dying to live because it was such an outlier from all the other parts in the vid. perhaps that was representative of his entire tenure on zero.

i thought these quotes were pretty telling of his opinion on zero's art direction. that and the fact that most of them were being pulled out by his son from a stack of boards lying on the ground, as opposed to hanging up on the wall along with the boards from antihero, toy machine, habitat, wknd, alltimers...

"i mean, obviously, it's like a creepy, creepy horse, cus it's zero, so it has to be a bit scary. um, that, that was the vibe."

"this - look at that peacock. this is based on a tea towel from my mum's house. i think ben horton maybe sketched this up and made it into a creepy peacock for a zero graphic."

in response to his son asking if he liked a particular zero graphic based on a gravestone from a cemetery in barcelona - "yeaaah, i quite like it. it's a bit, it's a bit scary though. i don't know if i like scary graphics these days. or ever. but...i don't know, it's cool."

"this is, uh, you know, it's one of those graphics that they did because they're like, how do we market this dude? where's he from? scotland. oh, well, we'll do something scottish. so you get some sort of crest. and there you go. that's how it works."

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

oh man, i'm glad i wasn't the only one. he seemed so bummed on all the zero graphics. from what i could see, he only had one zero board actually hanging on the wall. i'm not saying that dudes need to have all of their pro models on display, but i would think that, especially for how long he was on zero, he would have at least some of his teammates' boards hanging up. he was definitely more stoked on discussing the antihero sarcasm series boards. it seems like maybe that's a closer fit with his personality. i remember being so hyped on his part in dying to live because it was such an outlier from all the other parts in the vid. perhaps that was representative of his entire tenure on zero.

i thought these quotes were pretty telling of his opinion on zero's art direction. that and the fact that most of them were being pulled out by his son from a stack of boards lying on the ground, as opposed to hanging up on the wall along with the boards from antihero, toy machine, habitat, wknd, alltimers...

"i mean, obviously, it's like a creepy, creepy horse, cus it's zero, so it has to be a bit scary. um, that, that was the vibe."

"this - look at that peacock. this is based on a tea towel from my mum's house. i think ben horton maybe sketched this up and made it into a creepy peacock for a zero graphic."

in response to his son asking if he liked a particular zero graphic based on a gravestone from a cemetery in barcelona - "yeaaah, i quite like it. it's a bit, it's a bit scary though. i don't know if i like scary graphics these days. or ever. but...i don't know, it's cool."

"this is, uh, you know, it's one of those graphics that they did because they're like, how do we market this dude? where's he from? scotland. oh, well, we'll do something scottish. so you get some sort of crest. and there you go. that's how it works."

What do you want from the guy?  He's human and has his very own opinion.  Also dude those graphics were all shit -it's what it is man.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

cloudy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What do you want from the guy?  He's human and has his very own opinion.  Also dude those graphics were all shit -it's what it is man.

i think the problem was that with most of those zero boards, it wasn't him that was prompting the conversation about them, it was his son pulling them out from the stack on the floor. he was genuinely enthusiastic about the boards he had on display, which is what i like hearing from these skate hoarder episodes. seems like the point of the series is, you have a collection of things you like, and you're happy to share them.

that's not to say that i'm disinterested in hearing whether or not former pros liked their graphics, i just don't think that skate hoarders is the best forum for that discussion. it'd be like if we got a tour of chad bartie's crib and he was just pulling out one devil man/wet willy/flame boy board after the other and being like, yeah, this was kind of world industries' thing at the time - i wasn't really into it, but, whatever.

Issy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
"SkateHoarders

Transworld Skateboarding

Go inside your favorite skaters' homes and see what they've collected over the years."

Pretty Serious

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
John has an annoying kid who is too big to be carried around like a toddler, there I said it.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i think the problem was that with most of those zero boards, it wasn't him that was prompting the conversation about them, it was his son pulling them out from the stack on the floor. he was genuinely enthusiastic about the boards he had on display, which is what i like hearing from these skate hoarder episodes. seems like the point of the series is, you have a collection of things you like, and you're happy to share them.

that's not to say that i'm disinterested in hearing whether or not former pros liked their graphics, i just don't think that skate hoarders is the best forum for that discussion. it'd be like if we got a tour of chad bartie's crib and he was just pulling out one devil man/wet willy/flame boy board after the other and being like, yeah, this was kind of world industries' thing at the time - i wasn't really into it, but, whatever.

Your completely right but then I'd rather have my perverse pleasure seeing him be anti social  than seeing the square peg in the square hole again, cause the internet promotes 'appropriate' shit cause that's what makes the most sense to the most people which means the most views.   
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »
John has an annoying kid who is too big to be carried around like a toddler, there I said it.

I gotta agree. Maybe he couldn't let the kid run around or lock him in his room without there being mayhem. Idk. Sucks John isn't pro though.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »
I assume he has a cushy corp job in the industry and his partner is American? But I'm always surprised how someone from European descent that is intelligent and cultured chooses to stay in the US after the skate career is over.

cloudy

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
I assume he has a cushy corp job in the industry and his partner is American? But I'm always surprised how someone from European descent that is intelligent and cultured chooses to stay in the US after the skate career is over.

nike money for sure - good for him!

in light of his skate hoarders commentary, funny that his cv includes a blurb for "worked closely with the graphics department on art for signature boards"

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »
I used to use the sleeve of Dying to Live to hide my secret tape of late-night Cinemax shows.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd actually love that.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Not Local

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »

B/C the Uk offers a better standard of living....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ??

verylowimpact

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

B/C the Uk offers a better standard of living....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ??

Guess I have no idea but I know personally if I had a European passport, the US is the last place I would be. To each their own I guess.

Not Local

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
I've lived in three different countries including the UK and we're all fucked. Trump, Brexit, rise of the neo-right everywhere blah blah. There's pros and cons to wherever you live but the grass is always greener innit?

verylowimpact

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »
I've lived in three different countries including the UK and we're all fucked. Trump, Brexit, rise of the neo-right everywhere blah blah. There's pros and cons to wherever you live but the grass is always greener innit?

True. True.