Author Topic: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding  (Read 12601 times)

Elderly Gentleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding
« on: August 28, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/08/28/skateboarders-worried-cte/

I read this article and it really got me to thinking about how "uncool" it is in skating to wear a helmet.  I know Mike V made the commitment to wear a helmet every time he skates back in 2015, but he's not exactly the most relevant skater nowadays.

I wear a helmet a lot when I skate (mostly because it's required at the park that I most frequently skate at).  After a while, I found one that was pretty comfortable (it did take some getting used to though).

If a helmet company put out a skate video where all the skaters wore helmets the whole time (street skating as well as transition) would you even bother watching it?  Even it they were ripping?

I'm old so my opinion on it isn't relevant and would never affect the opinion of the younger generation so I wanted to get other people's views on it.

What if a major brand agreed to pay their skaters higher salaries and gave them full medical but required all of their skaters to wear a helmet whenever they skated; would they be kooked out of the industry?  Probably.  Just wanted to hear some opinions on it. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
I thought the more you hurt yourself the more "core" you are.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
I could watch Vert/ Park skaters wearing helmets and it wouldn't bother me a bit.
As far as street skating goes - if Pros feel like they need a helmet to do a street trick they shouldn't be doing the trick. I don't care if the whole massive stairs/ rails thing goes away either. It's basically been done anyway.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
olympics 101

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
I'm with Ed on this one, until say Nyjah has an incident CTE related then maybe changes will happen. Only the big corpo boys might help with medical bills or some type of insurance,but thats a reach. Any skater making enough should get insurance,I have it and hate paying for it,but it has come in handy with lowering the cost on what could have been very expensive medical bills

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

hmmmokay

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
I was gonna post the gif of that kid doing a pop-shuv at Pulaski, in a helmet, and leave it at that but then I actually read the article and while I wouldn't necessarily want to see a ton of helmet heavy footage, the discussion concerning CTE is definitely something that, as per this article, hopefully continues and gets explored more.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
A lot of the real bad issues with the NFL players don't arise until later in life like early onset dementia and stuff. I'd imagine some of the big rail/transition/vert guys get concussed as much as some NFL players, maybe not the same kind of repetitive minor hits that football players experience throughout practice and games every week.

The gnar street skating used to be the only thing that got me really hyped as a kid but as I get older the more and more I appreciate watching low impact stuff. Some people get real hyped when an aging pro puts out footage doing the same tricks he used to do on spots almost as big as the ones he used to do them on, but I think it's almost sad in a way. Like you should age gracefully and learn to skate mini ramps or curbs or something.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:15:57 PM by ChronicBluntSlider »

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
I could watch Vert/ Park skaters wearing helmets and it wouldn't bother me a bit.
As far as street skating goes - if Pros feel like they need a helmet to do a street trick they shouldn't be doing the trick. I don't care if the whole massive stairs/ rails thing goes away either. It's basically been done anyway.

I get what you're saying and I can certainly agree with that.  If they're doing ledge tricks or flatground or just ollieing over stuff at normal speed then a helmet does seem a bit excessive.  I wouldn't be bummed if someone was wearing a helmet doing tre flips down a 15 stair though.  But I also agree with you on the massive drop stuff.  I'm kind of over all that too and it doesn't get me hyped to skate at all.

I get way more hyped to skate watch someone doing some cool tech ledge or flatbar tricks and some cool mini ramp tricks than I ever have watching someone huck themselves down a 12 stair. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:20:42 PM by Elderly Gentleman »
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
I'm sure no one here gives helmet-less street skating a second thought, but does anyone else feel weird when you see people skating big, concrete transition totally padless? Unless they're super good at falling and stuff, dudes like Pedro Barros, Ben Raybourn, Willy Lara etc. must take ridiculous hits

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
Helmets don't prevent CTE. They just trick you into thinking it's OK to hit your head. Turns out it's not.
Basically, if you aren't comfortable doing a trick without a helmet, you shouldn't do it with a helmet either.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
taking repeated hits to the head even WITH a helmet will get you CTE.  NFL helmets are probably 10X as strong as a skateboard helmet and the problem is prevalent.  Pretty sure they're not even rated, like I'm sure a football helmet or motorcycle helmet is. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
I can't even skate with a hat on so a helmet is out of the question

I have had several concussions (not all skate related) and am fairly certain I'm going to be out of my gourd later in life

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
luckily i've never hit my head skateboarding. i agree with shylow, just skate within your ability and don't try stupid shit.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

calvinsdream

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »
A lot of the real bad issues with the NFL players don't arise until later in life like early onset dementia and stuff. I'd imagine some of the big rail/transition/vert guys get concussed as much as some NFL players, maybe not the same kind of repetitive minor hits that football players experience throughout practice and games every week.

The gnar street skating used to be the only thing that got me really hyped as a kid but as I get older the more and more I appreciate watching low impact stuff. Some people get real hyped when an aging pro puts out footage doing the same tricks he used to do on spots almost as big as the ones he used to do them on, but I think it's almost sad in a way. Like you should age gracefully and learn to skate mini ramps or curbs or something.

http://youtu.be/GrEEhvJGTC0

Huff Gas

• Rep: 15
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
I thought the more you hurt yourself the more "core" you are.
I'm so core I can't skate.
I love Reynolds whole foot in the man, gaystyle.

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
It's weird because i never wear one skateboarding, but snowboarding i wear it pretty often unless its street or DIY shit.
The difference for me is being able to kick your board away and learning how to bail properly, where snowboarding you have your feet locked into your board.
I was doing cab 2 frontboard and i caught my heel edge on the rail and flew backwards and smashed my head on the hard ass snow. Wouldn't catch me trying that on a skateboard tho lol

basically skateboarding has this art of bailing properly which makes helmets almost pointless unless you're sending it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
ok, i am fucked.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
I'm sure no one here gives helmet-less street skating a second thought, but does anyone else feel weird when you see people skating big, concrete transition totally padless? Unless they're super good at falling and stuff, dudes like Pedro Barros, Ben Raybourn, Willy Lara etc. must take ridiculous hits

That shit freaks me out too but I am admittedly old. I can see how butt sliding versus knee sliding could allow you to preserve your knees longer but I can't say that I get more stoked on tranny tricks that are padless vs padded. Maybe Cards padless 540s but I think  that's more because of the spontaneity of the thing. Riley Hawk tried the loop recently with a helmet but no pads and he fell to flat coming out of it. Would anyone have thought less of him if he was wearing full pads?

In response to an earlier comment, some skate helmets are definitely rated ala bike and motorcycle helmets. If you wear one, it will make you look extra weird because they are fucking huge. I think most of the ones people wear aren't rated though.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
I might be getting a bit off topic, but has anyone else here dealt with concussions? I’ve been dealing with post concussion syndrome over the past year as a result of three mTBIs, and it’s been absolutely miserable.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
I had 3 concussions as a young teenager (only one skating) and i have no doubt they affected me longterm

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
I've had at least 3 concussions from skating. The 3 for sure ones were with a helmet on. I was having a drink with an old buddy a while back and we were reminiscing about the glory day of skating together in high school. One of my slams came up. He said "I remember that, I had to drive you home" I had to thank him again because before that conversation, I had no idea how I got home that night. It sucks to think about but, between the head bonks and drinking, if i make it to 70, i think my brain might be toast.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:09:36 AM by friendly dave »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
Big segments of skating wear helmets, vert and downhill. Both deal with high speeds, where even a small mistake can mean a broken skull.

And especially in downhill, where it’s more to prevent fatality than concussion, helmet wearing is the opposite, you get treated like a dick for NOT wearing one.

When I first started learning downhill with a crew, that was the first rule. Wear one or ride somewhere else. And they all ‘regular’ skates too, usually without helmets.

I learned it’s necessity, no one likes rushing to a pool of blood around someone’s head because he was too ‘cool’ to wear a bucket. I learned that the hard way when I held a downhill clinic and I wasn’t strict enough with the rules.

He came to, but was fucking sick to my stomach scared that this guy didn’t have someone to check on him and make sure he woke up in the morning. Lots can go wrong with skull injuries.

Bringing this back to street skating, I usually don’t wear one either when I skate ‘normally’, because I’m not going anywhere near as fast and you fall differently because of it.

Now, if I skated like a pro with the speed they are hitting stuff and variables of not locking into grinds and shit? That’s taking your life into your own hands.

Sure, we love to see bravissimo, recklessness, and cheating death, but are we at a point in the size tricks being pulled require us to acknowledge the risk?

Or are we happy to continue to celebrate daredevils?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
I just had a baby, and she's 5 months old. My street skating is always just slappys and curbs so nothing crazy, I've never been a rail chomper,  so I mostly ride parks and  transition. I fall all the time so I'm probably going to start wearing a helmet, I just need to find a comfortable one. It's not just me anymore, I have a little tiny human relying on me now. It's a weird feeling to have.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
about a decade ago in BMX Mike Aitken almost died when he got in a pretty serious crash without a helmet. It sent shockwaves of awareness through BMX and had a fairly large impact to the point that I rarely see BMX kids at the park without helmets anymore

I would bet in due time skateboarding will have it's own Mike Aitken story.. dudes are just charging 13 foot bowls and shit without any caution. You can only run out of something you see coming.

The older you get, especially with loved ones who rely on you, the less you care about being judged and the more you care about your own self and safety. I wouldn't dare ride a bike without a helmet anymore, but in my early 20s we used to bomb giant hills on our way to and from the bar with no care at all..

That being said, that figgy clip was incredible
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:38:50 PM by sharkin »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
I've only had two concussions and I hope it doesn't turn me into Phelps

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
I got one from concussion skating a pole jam, it hurt and I felt just mad lame. Hopefully I'm not fucked from just one, but who knows.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
about a decade ago in BMX Mike Aitken almost died when he got in a pretty serious crash without a helmet. It sent shockwaves of awareness through BMX and had a fairly large impact to the point that I rarely see BMX kids at the park without helmets anymore

I would bet in due time skateboarding will have it's own Mike Aitken story.. dudes are just charging 13 foot bowls and shit without any caution. You can only run out of something you see coming.

The older you get, especially with loved ones who rely on you, the less you care about being judged and the more you care about your own self and safety. I wouldn't dare ride a bike without a helmet anymore, but in my early 20s we used to bomb giant hills on our way to and from the bar with no care at all..

That being said, that figgy clip was incredible

I think Dave Mirra committing suicide and then doctor's confirming he had CTE is also definitely a factor. I see a lot of littles at the skatepark with a helmet too. I started around their age and would have never fucked with a helmet but then that's probably progress.

That Figgy clip is as gold as the full cut he's wearing.

Edited cuz I am stoopid
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:31:59 PM by jakeumms »
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »
Dave Mirra ^
Mat Hoffman is alive and well.. alive.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
Dave Mirra ^
Mat Hoffman is alive and well.. alive.

Thanks. I got confused :(