Author Topic: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding  (Read 12610 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
Re: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
The older you get, especially with loved ones who rely on you, the less you care about being judged and the more you care about your own self and safety.

Yeah, this.

I'm just babbling here, but I think there's a level of social conditioning with this as well. Stories of wisdom are never romanticized and told widely because they're basically boring. Stories of redemption and overcoming incredible odds are what people like to hear. And honestly I think we look to fictional characters for inspiration a lot more often than we should. Anyway my point is that it seems like people get sparked off bullshit way too much and make the wrong choices and skateboarding, like everything else, isn't immune to that.

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
I see stars when I fall and DO NOT hit my head which is disconcerting. I think my brain is just rattling around or something.

There already have been a few well publicized deaths of skaters who weren't doing anything super "risky" but those have largely been shrugged off (Shokus, Georgie Tsushima, Eric Costello [helmet unbuckled, fell off while rolling in]). Plenty of localized random deaths.

Maybe when a big name goes more people will wear them? Maybe it's like condoms and people would rather accept the risk and feel good in the now?

Not Local

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
I've started wearing a lid more often in bowls/ on bigger tranny but I just can't bring myself to do it for the low-impact type of street skating I do at the age of 43. Most of my head bonks have been due to slipping out or landing badly on transition. Even when I was trying 'big' stuff in the streets, I was able to avoid a head smash. So much of the appeal of skateboarding is the freedom of it being just you, the board and the streets... as dumb as that sounds... But the level of risk these days... its only a matter of time before a high level pro kills/ paralyses themselves...

IHOP

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
im down for people wearing helmets, but personally when i skate a park where a helmet is required i feel like i am going to eat shit because i have that thing on my head.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Welp, this thread gave me serious anxiety.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 10:16:34 PM »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:30:27 PM by fulltechnicalskizzy »

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
I got a bad concussion a few years ago and it ruined my life. Back truck hung up on a small box and I caught the corner. That’s all it takes sometimes.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 12:00:35 AM »
i have hit my head more often being out at
night drinking and shit, than while skating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 12:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
The older you get, especially with loved ones who rely on you, the less you care about being judged and the more you care about your own self and safety.
[close]
Yeah, this.
pretty much. I skate with my 3 yo all the time and I make him wear a helmet so I figure I should lead by example too no?
It's not like I'm impressing anyone with my skating skills at this age anyway, more just out there to have some fun and roll with him

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

sms_b

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 03:53:38 AM »
You mess with the bull you get the horns.

Also, if you think a helmet is going to stop you from getting a brain injury (it will stop you from cracking your skull or worse, opening that fucker up or having something stick into it) you know jack shit about the brain.

Think of the brain as within a sack of goo, surrounded by a wall of concrete. Smash it hard enough the goo doesn't work as it should, and the brain compacts against the concrete and develops a bruise or worse, bleeds as a result. Impact causes the trauma and acute trauma can be lessened by a helmet.

Funny how the two examples they draw from, BMX riders and football players, both wear helmets. 

We better all go back to low-impact freestyle, then we can all die of old age and cancer.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 05:04:53 AM »
I've had several concussions (3 in the last year ) all from skating transition,  but the one that's probably got me ticking like a time bomb was hitting a car bombing a hill 15 years ago. Back of the head straight to the curb. 4 brain hemorrhages and a year of rehab before I had my life back. I'd better be nice to my kids, they'll probably be full time carers before they can vote haha

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »
i get some weird schadenfruede enjoyment from the fact helmets don't prevent this. to all the finger wagging nannies, your helmet head ass kid is gonna end up just as regular as hair blowing in the wind jerry gurney.
isn't it ironic?
don't ya think?
also, cheap excuse for gravdiggaz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9XwDJdrK80

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:11 AM »
Big segments of skating wear helmets, vert and downhill. Both deal with high speeds, where even a small mistake can mean a broken skull.

And especially in downhill, where it’s more to prevent fatality than concussion, helmet wearing is the opposite, you get treated like a dick for NOT wearing one.

When I first started learning downhill with a crew, that was the first rule. Wear one or ride somewhere else. And they all ‘regular’ skates too, usually without helmets.

I learned it’s necessity, no one likes rushing to a pool of blood around someone’s head because he was too ‘cool’ to wear a bucket. I learned that the hard way when I held a downhill clinic and I wasn’t strict enough with the rules.

He came to, but was fucking sick to my stomach scared that this guy didn’t have someone to check on him and make sure he woke up in the morning. Lots can go wrong with skull injuries.

Bringing this back to street skating, I usually don’t wear one either when I skate ‘normally’, because I’m not going anywhere near as fast and you fall differently because of it.

Now, if I skated like a pro with the speed they are hitting stuff and variables of not locking into grinds and shit? That’s taking your life into your own hands.

Sure, we love to see bravissimo, recklessness, and cheating death, but are we at a point in the size tricks being pulled require us to acknowledge the risk?

Or are we happy to continue to celebrate daredevils?
I lost a friend who fell off his skateboard on a hill with no helmet. On a related note,  skating while drunk is the worst idea: You not only are more likely to slam, but the blood thinning effect of alcohol can make you hemorrhage if you do.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:33:53 PM by Knox Harrington »

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »
I've only had two concussions and I hope it doesn't turn me into Phelps

we're all living our lives in skating desperately hoping we don't become phelps

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
I thought the more you hurt yourself the more "core" you are.

Gotta pay to play :'(

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
i have hit my head more often being out at
night drinking and shit, than while skating.

Wear a full cut out to the bars. 

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
I get that it might be a huge problem for some professional skaters, but is it really such a big issue for the average skateboarder? I have been skating for more than 18 years. I have split my head open once and I have had plenty of injuries in my knees and ancles, but I have never had a concussion. None of my skate buddies have ever had a concussion from skating either. I mostly skate parks and street spots, sometimes bigger tranny and ledges and I never wear a helmet. I think generally skating without a helmet is not a problem, unless you skate vert ramps and big bowls or you skate handrails or big gaps.
You might also suffer a freak accident and get concussed doing a 180 on flat, which is as likely to happen as getting concussed, because you are walking down a set of stairs.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »
I get that it might be a huge problem for some professional skaters, but is it really such a big issue for the average skateboarder? I have been skating for more than 18 years. I have split my head open once and I have had plenty of injuries in my knees and ancles, but I have never had a concussion. None of my skate buddies have ever had a concussion from skating either. I mostly skate parks and street spots, sometimes bigger tranny and ledges and I never wear a helmet. I think generally skating without a helmet is not a problem, unless you skate vert ramps and big bowls or you skate handrails or big gaps.
You might also suffer a freak accident and get concussed doing a 180 on flat, which is as likely to happen as getting concussed, because you are walking down a set of stairs.

I kinda agree that the avg skater who has at least some sense for risk-assessment probably isn't at much more risk than avg athletes in other activities.

But how did you "split your head open" without being concussed?

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »
Ive been thinking about this quite a bit lately.  About two months back I was at a local park and watched a skilled skateboarder hit his head really badly 50-50ing a foot-high flat bar.  His board slipped out under him, both of his feet went behind the bar so that His ankleswere locked into the top of the bar and slingshotted him headfirst into the concrete.  Out cold, blood everywhere, came to making horrible morning sounds, eventually getting a ride to the hospital.

Again, this dude was a good skateboarder, who wasn’t doing “stupid shit” he wasn’t “prepared for,” he just got a little to comfy and a perfectly shitty sequence of events had him getting a substantial head injury.  I’ve never seen someone that good get hurt that badly on something that small, and it definitely opened my eyes a bit

There’s no logical reason not to wear a helmet on a board.  It’s a culture thing, and a lot of outsiders would probably see it as a cultural problem endemic to skateboarding.  I’m not saying everyone should/has to wear a helmet, but I do think it’s a conversation worth having, especially once some of our childhood idols start going out like pro wrestlers and football players.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
Ive been thinking about this quite a bit lately.  About two months back I was at a local park and watched a skilled skateboarder hit his head really badly 50-50ing a foot-high flat bar.  His board slipped out under him, both of his feet went behind the bar so that His ankleswere locked into the top of the bar and slingshotted him headfirst into the concrete.  Out cold, blood everywhere, came to making horrible morning sounds, eventually getting a ride to the hospital.

Again, this dude was a good skateboarder, who wasn’t doing “stupid shit” he wasn’t “prepared for,” he just got a little to comfy and a perfectly shitty sequence of events had him getting a substantial head injury.  I’ve never seen someone that good get hurt that badly on something that small, and it definitely opened my eyes a bit

There’s no logical reason not to wear a helmet on a board.
  It’s a culture thing, and a lot of outsiders would probably see it as a cultural problem endemic to skateboarding.  I’m not saying everyone should/has to wear a helmet, but I do think it’s a conversation worth having, especially once some of our childhood idols start going out like pro wrestlers and football players.

okay, I'll have this conversation. there's even less of a "logical" reason not to wear a helmet every time you ride in a car, something that causes way more head injuries and death than all the hangups on 3-foot quarterpipes and 20-stair handrails in the world combined. Ask yourself and every other "responsible", "well-intentioned" person why they don't wear a helmet in their car, why they don't make their kids wear helmets in the car, and why they don't pester their neighbours about wearing helmets while driving, then come back and tell me what you find out. Otherwise, I just consider it an insulting, naive imposition, to insinuate that my behaviour is somehow illogical or irresponsible, that my decisions are more superficial than someone else's, just because theirs are in line with mainstream practices.
Sorry Hypnotoad, this is a pet peeve of mine and I'm not trying to blast you specifically, i've just heard way too much crap about it being a "cultural thing" or "cool", as though these weren't factors in everything we do.
In all seriousness, the reasons people don't wear helmets driving are basically the same as in skateboarding, it's some combination of personal freedom, risk vs. convenience, and coolness does factor into it heavily. The main differences are that driving is way more dangerous and there's a huge financial incentive for car companies not to do anything that takes away from the "coolness" of the automobile and its association with personal freedom.

Anyone who wants to wear a helmet should do so whenever and wherever they like and I would never put anybody down for it. But people trying to argue that it is "logical" need to take a look at themselves and then fuck off.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
okay, I'll have this conversation. there's even less of a "logical" reason not to wear a helmet every time you ride in a car, something that causes way more head injuries and death than all the hangups on 3-foot quarterpipes and 20-stair handrails in the world combined. Ask yourself and every other "responsible", "well-intentioned" person why they don't wear a helmet in their car, why they don't make their kids wear helmets in the car, and why they don't pester their neighbours about wearing helmets while driving, then come back and tell me what you find out.

Cars have airbags and seatbelts.

And per your argument, just driving your car around would be akin to riding your cruiser board to go to the store. Actually skating shit would be closer to racing a car, during which everyone wears helmets, harnesses, and other safety gear.

I can't see street helmets ever being a thing, but if anyone were to do it, I feel like Gonz could be a major influence. That motorcycle helmet that he wears when skating tranny seems pretty distinctive and it wouldn't be the weirdest accessory that NY skaters have adopted in recent years.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kinda agree that the avg skater who has at least some sense for risk-assessment probably isn't at much more risk than avg athletes in other activities.

But how did you "split your head open" without being concussed?

I tried to kickflip Bs 50-50 a ledge and I only landed on the tail with my backfoot on the ledge and the board was catapulted in the air and hit me between the eyes and split my forehead open. I don't think I was concussed. I didn't feel dizzy after the initial hit by the board and I did not have a head ache. I had to go to the ER to get stitches, though.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote
okay, I'll have this conversation. there's even less of a "logical" reason not to wear a helmet every time you ride in a car, something that causes way more head injuries and death than all the hangups on 3-foot quarterpipes and 20-stair handrails in the world combined. Ask yourself and every other "responsible", "well-intentioned" person why they don't wear a helmet in their car, why they don't make their kids wear helmets in the car, and why they don't pester their neighbours about wearing helmets while driving, then come back and tell me what you find out.
[close]

...and would still be safer if you wore a helmet: therefore not wearing a helmet in a car is "illogical" (in the sense in which that word is used in the argument concerning skateboarding), because it reduces your risk of potential injury. If I get t-boned going through an intersection, talking on the phone about what kind of toilet paper to pick up, my chances of survival are better if the window is smashed not by my skin and skull, but by a thin layer of plastic and foam.

just driving your car around would be akin to riding your cruiser board to go to the store. Actually skating shit would be closer to racing a car, during which everyone wears helmets, harnesses, and other safety gear.

most likely place for a car accident is within 25 miles of your house, distracted by the fact that you drive there everyday and you just want to get that toilet paper and get home again.
You point out that some types of driving are more risky and have naturally evolved a set of safety precautions that go along with them: to me that's the same as skating, wherein helmets and pads are a normal part of vert and bowl skating. Skateboarders are just as able to assess risk as anyone else, no one needs to tell me to wear a helmet skating vert, no one needs to tell me to wear a helmet period, because skateboarding has evolved its practices based on the same criteria as other activities ie. risk assessment and practicality as well as appearance. Some of it is about safety and some of it is about looking cool, just like it is for any one of you who don't want to be the person at the stop light wearing a protec behind the wheel.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Big segments of skating wear helmets, vert and downhill. Both deal with high speeds, where even a small mistake can mean a broken skull.

And especially in downhill, where it’s more to prevent fatality than concussion, helmet wearing is the opposite, you get treated like a dick for NOT wearing one.

When I first started learning downhill with a crew, that was the first rule. Wear one or ride somewhere else. And they all ‘regular’ skates too, usually without helmets.

I learned it’s necessity, no one likes rushing to a pool of blood around someone’s head because he was too ‘cool’ to wear a bucket. I learned that the hard way when I held a downhill clinic and I wasn’t strict enough with the rules.

He came to, but was fucking sick to my stomach scared that this guy didn’t have someone to check on him and make sure he woke up in the morning. Lots can go wrong with skull injuries.

Bringing this back to street skating, I usually don’t wear one either when I skate ‘normally’, because I’m not going anywhere near as fast and you fall differently because of it.

Now, if I skated like a pro with the speed they are hitting stuff and variables of not locking into grinds and shit? That’s taking your life into your own hands.

Sure, we love to see bravissimo, recklessness, and cheating death, but are we at a point in the size tricks being pulled require us to acknowledge the risk?

Or are we happy to continue to celebrate daredevils?
[close]
I lost a friend who fell off his skateboard on a hill with no helmet. On a related note,  skating while drunk is the worst idea: You not only are more likely to slam, but the blood thinning affect of alcohol can make you hemorrhage if you do.

This. Skating while drunk is always a bad idea, and at night! Slammed my tailbone at night while drinking one time, it fucking sucked.

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

...and would still be safer if you wore a helmet: therefore not wearing a helmet in a car is "illogical" (in the sense in which that word is used in the argument concerning skateboarding), because it reduces your risk of potential injury. If I get t-boned going through an intersection, talking on the phone about what kind of toilet paper to pick up, my chances of survival are better if the window is smashed not by my skin and skull, but by a thin layer of plastic and foam.

Expand Quote

just driving your car around would be akin to riding your cruiser board to go to the store. Actually skating shit would be closer to racing a car, during which everyone wears helmets, harnesses, and other safety gear.

[close]

most likely place for a car accident is within 25 miles of your house, distracted by the fact that you drive there everyday and you just want to get that toilet paper and get home again.
You point out that some types of driving are more risky and have naturally evolved a set of safety precautions that go along with them: to me that's the same as skating, wherein helmets and pads are a normal part of vert and bowl skating. Skateboarders are just as able to assess risk as anyone else, no one needs to tell me to wear a helmet skating vert, no one needs to tell me to wear a helmet period, because skateboarding has evolved its practices based on the same criteria as other activities ie. risk assessment and practicality as well as appearance. Some of it is about safety and some of it is about looking cool, just like it is for any one of you who don't want to be the person at the stop light wearing a protec behind the wheel.

Crashed my car on the same road 50 feet from my house multiple times and had the worst bails just doing a bs 5050 on a QP to get speed for the actual next trick.

This is why skateboarding is so amazing because no matter how comfy someone looks on the board they're always hyper aware of what they're trying.

Also everyone saying pros need to wear helmets will be the same people crying when they see guys like zion & foy wearing red bull helmets.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 02:22:10 PM »
Some people will never wear helmets.  No matter what.  I know people who refuse to go to certain parks because helmets are required and even though they really want to try the bowl/ramp/rail there, they refuse because of this requirement.

My main curiosity was if a relevant or popular skater (someone a little more relevant and respected with the current scene than Mike V) were to decide to start always wearing a helmet, or if a safety equipment brand like Rector or Triple 8 put out a full length video of street skating but all of the riders were wearing helmets, would they be accepted for it or kooked for it by the majority?
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
I might be getting a bit off topic, but has anyone else here dealt with concussions? I’ve been dealing with post concussion syndrome over the past year as a result of three mTBIs, and it’s been absolutely miserable.
Dude, a “year?” I’ve been dealing with PCS for two months. This shit fucking sucks. Fatigue, cognitive issues, irritability, sensitivity to sound and light, headaches... Fuck this shit. Stopped skating for a month and rested all the time. Symptoms got way better. Skated once, tried to do a back 3 and got dizzy. Went right back to headaches and all that other shit all over again. Back to square one. Fuck
ableSkateMag.com

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote

There’s no logical reason not to wear a helmet on a board.
  It’s a culture thing, and a lot of outsiders would probably see it as a cultural problem endemic to skateboarding.  I’m not saying everyone should/has to wear a helmet, but I do think it’s a conversation worth having, especially once some of our childhood idols start going out like pro wrestlers and football players.
[close]

okay, I'll have this conversation. there's even less of a "logical" reason not to wear a helmet every time you ride in a car, something that causes way more head injuries and death than all the hangups on 3-foot quarterpipes and 20-stair handrails in the world combined. Ask yourself and every other "responsible", "well-intentioned" person why they don't wear a helmet in their car, why they don't make their kids wear helmets in the car, and why they don't pester their neighbours about wearing helmets while driving, then come back and tell me what you find out. Otherwise, I just consider it an insulting, naive imposition, to insinuate that my behaviour is somehow illogical or irresponsible, that my decisions are more superficial than someone else's, just because theirs are in line with mainstream practices.
Sorry Hypnotoad, this is a pet peeve of mine and I'm not trying to blast you specifically, i've just heard way too much crap about it being a "cultural thing" or "cool", as though these weren't factors in everything we do.
In all seriousness, the reasons people don't wear helmets driving are basically the same as in skateboarding, it's some combination of personal freedom, risk vs. convenience, and coolness does factor into it heavily. The main differences are that driving is way more dangerous and there's a huge financial incentive for car companies not to do anything that takes away from the "coolness" of the automobile and its association with personal freedom.

Anyone who wants to wear a helmet should do so whenever and wherever they like and I would never put anybody down for it. But people trying to argue that it is "logical" need to take a look at themselves and then fuck off.

This is a false comparison, and not very ‘logical’, because of the sheer number of people riding cars and spending time in them is astronomically higher than the number of people who skate.

Think of the number of people who drive, and the amount of time they spend behind the wheel. It’s not even comparable. If the numbers were equal, I suspect you’d see a WAY higher head injury ratio in skateboarding.

Personally over my life I’ve spend probably 100x more time behind the wheel than on a skateboard, both well over 20 years, but I’ve never had any of the injuries, much less head bumps, that I’ve had in skating 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:50:38 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea