Author Topic: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding  (Read 12600 times)

NJFly318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Jenkem article about head injuries and CTE in skateboarding
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The older you get, especially with loved ones who rely on you, the less you care about being judged and the more you care about your own self and safety.
[close]
Yeah, this.
[close]
pretty much. I skate with my 3 yo all the time and I make him wear a helmet so I figure I should lead by example too no?
It's not like I'm impressing anyone with my skating skills at this age anyway, more just out there to have some fun and roll with him

Me too, I skate with my son all the time and I’m not setting the world on fire anymore. Shook my whole family’s world when I slipped out by missing locking in  a frontside grind and landing on the back of my head.
TBI and 4 days in a trauma unit, luckily the only lasting issue is no longer being able to smell, is no joke. Slipped out while warming up doing a trick that I’ve done literally thousands of times. At my age I’ll just wear the helmet. I don’t preach to kids but I’ll tell them what happened if they ask about me wearing a helmet.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I don't wear a helmet because it's not wavy, but I'm not going to sit here and act like not wearing one is safer. You might as well be justifying cigarettes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:41:28 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

ohmygodbees

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
I'm sure no one here gives helmet-less street skating a second thought, but does anyone else feel weird when you see people skating big, concrete transition totally padless? Unless they're super good at falling and stuff, dudes like Pedro Barros, Ben Raybourn, Willy Lara etc. must take ridiculous hits
Even though it's not transition, and I love the guy,  this to me is one of the worst slams I always remember. Ugh.
  https://youtu.be/aKunbEacMHQ

ohmygodbees

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
It's weird because i never wear one skateboarding, but snowboarding i wear it pretty often unless its street or DIY shit.
The difference for me is being able to kick your board away and learning how to bail properly, where snowboarding you have your feet locked into your board.
I was doing cab 2 frontboard and i caught my heel edge on the rail and flew backwards and smashed my head on the hard ass snow. Wouldn't catch me trying that on a skateboard tho lol

basically skateboarding has this art of bailing properly which makes helmets almost pointless unless you're sending it.

I never even feel weird putting on a helmet to go snowboarding... I know I'm gonna usually try and hit some off course, back country shit so to speak, come close to trees, cutting my own lines, so it makes sense to wear one.

But I will forever feel awkward putting one on to skate anything.To hit your head in skating is kinda pretty tough to do,  even if you're not a pro at falling.

Snowboarding is usually so much faster and even though I have never done it before,  not even learning at first, have I ever caught an edge and got tossed, but I do expect to go damn near head over heels at some point every time I go. Not ever in skating.

When I was 14 I would secretly wear my soccer ankle guards skating on days after my ankles took a thrashing.  LMAO, Low key, I've always secretly wondered if anybody else ever did this, but would never,  never ask. Hahaha
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:05:44 PM by ohmygodbees »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »

This is a false comparison, and not very ‘logical’, because of the sheer number of people riding cars and spending time in them is astronomically higher than the number of people who skate.

Think of the number of people who drive, and the amount of time they spend behind the wheel. It’s not even comparable. If the numbers were equal, I suspect you’d see a WAY higher head injury ratio in skateboarding.

Personally over my life I’ve spend probably 100x more time behind the wheel than on a skateboard, both well over 20 years, but I’ve never had any of the injuries, much less head bumps, that I’ve had in skating

Do you seriously believe driving is safer than skateboarding?
If you live in the states, your chances of dying in a car accident are slightly over 1 in ten thousand.
You think 1 in 10 000 skateboarders die as a result of an injurybsuatained during skateboarding? And yes, i'm talking about comparable times apent behind the wheel vs. Time spent on 4 wheels.
And that's not even getting into the numbers of non-fatal hrad injuries due to car accidents. The numbers aren't even close.
Furthermore, unless you drive for a living, or have a serious commute, the average skateboarder spends more time skating than mist oeiple spend driving.
My argument is based on the premise that driving is more dangerous than skating, and the stats support that idea.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
Either way, helmet or no, can we please agree to call it a helmet and not a brain bucket, skid lid, etc...I'd rather have CTE than have to hear people try to make a helmet sound cool by using nerd slang, thank you!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote

This is a false comparison, and not very ‘logical’, because of the sheer number of people riding cars and spending time in them is astronomically higher than the number of people who skate.

Think of the number of people who drive, and the amount of time they spend behind the wheel. It’s not even comparable. If the numbers were equal, I suspect you’d see a WAY higher head injury ratio in skateboarding.

Personally over my life I’ve spend probably 100x more time behind the wheel than on a skateboard, both well over 20 years, but I’ve never had any of the injuries, much less head bumps, that I’ve had in skating
[close]

Do you seriously believe driving is safer than skateboarding?
If you live in the states, your chances of dying in a car accident are slightly over 1 in ten thousand.
You think 1 in 10 000 skateboarders die as a result of an injurybsuatained during skateboarding? And yes, i'm talking about comparable times apent behind the wheel vs. Time spent on 4 wheels.
And that's not even getting into the numbers of non-fatal hrad injuries due to car accidents. The numbers aren't even close.
Furthermore, unless you drive for a living, or have a serious commute, the average skateboarder spends more time skating than mist oeiple spend driving.
My argument is based on the premise that driving is more dangerous than skating, and the stats support that idea.

Do I believe driving is safer? Absolutely.

Because of the speed and power of driving, when something goes wrong it goes REALLY wrong, which accounts for a high fatality rate.

But even so, do I believe that 1 in 10,000 skaters die from skating? I definitely could. I don’t see anything particularly extreme in that number. But I’d be happy to see some stats, if you have any to back up your assertion.

But are we measuring how dangerous something is by fatality? Twisted ankles? Neither of those are particularly fair comparisons, due to the nature of the activities.  We can, but those are different threads.

This thread is about brain trauma, and you brought up the driving thing, saying that skaters are not as likely to receive head injuries as vehicle passengers.

So let’s stick with that.

And we could do an informal poll here on SLAP, and I guarantee you there will be more head injuries here due to skating than driving.

By the way, you claim ‘stats support my idea’, but you only give vehicle stats, only for fatalities. Not for head injuries, and no data on time spent in a car. And most importantly, none for skating. Where are those?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:01:53 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

thomas kook

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »
i love it when there is a thread about some genuinely interesting topic that is relevant to every single one of us and yet  people still manage to make it about themselves and their boring ass dicsuccion about whether skating or driving a car is more risky? oh well rip chris benoit

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2018, 02:55:19 AM »
Been skating for 18 years, all of them low-impact and I am still having the time of my life. When the time comes to skate transition exclusively, I will don a helmet. Knock on wood, I have never even been close to hitting my head, as I always take things slowly (freak accidents aside).

Stevie built an amazing career (and legacy) for himself not hucking once, so it really is up to every skater with PRO ambitions to consider if the risks are worth the reward. I cannot relate to star/rail hucker parts anyways, so they can go the way of the dodo IMO.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:10 AM »
rip chris benoit
Life gave him one too many benoit chops, so he had to crippler crossface his family, then himself.

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2018, 05:56:28 AM »
I was gonna post the gif of that kid doing a pop-shuv at Pulaski, in a helmet, and leave it at that but then I actually read the article and while I wouldn't necessarily want to see a ton of helmet heavy footage, the discussion concerning CTE is definitely something that, as per this article, hopefully continues and gets explored more.
*no pop, shuv
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

chiefqueef420

• Rep: -6
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
All this talk about hitting your head jinxed me. I haven't hit my head in probably 6 months, and have never hit it significantly. This morning I went for fakie front board (half cab board to fakie), a go-to warm up trick of mine, on a small flatbar. Missed the board, blinked right as I missed so I couldn't spot my landing well, and went straight to my left knee and cheek bone/temple.
i pop my shields and sprinkle some sand in there. i want to make sure i approach that ledge as slow as possible so i dont slip out on my 5050s

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
rip chris benoit
[close]
Life gave him one too many benoit chops, so he had to crippler crossface his family, then himself.
I'd wager it was the flying headbutt that did him in.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
More interesting question: Do yall niggas think OJ Simpson has that shit?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »

YES
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »

I think that murder was totally a psychotic CTE breakdown that he himself didnt know he was having till he was doing the murders

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

By the way, you claim ‘stats support my idea’, but you only give vehicle stats, only for fatalities. Not for head injuries, and no data on time spent in a car. And most importantly, none for skating. Where are those?

I'll try to make this quick then stop polluting the thread.
I've met with people from various brain injury societies (organizations pushing for skateboard helmet laws), and they have told me that they don't have statistics concerning head injuries or fatalities in skateboarding. I believe them, and I believe you too when you say you don't have them, which is why I said that stats support my idea that driving is more dangerous. I can show you convincing numbers that tell you how dangerous driving is, whereas arguments made about the dangers of skateboarding are anecdotal, or "common sense". We can sit here all day and talk about where we were the day Phil Shao died, or seeing Muska knock himself out on the cyclops rail at Slam city Jam in '99, but personally, I like it when I turn the key and the car starts- in other words, science isn't the same as opinion. Again, I would never tell someone they shouldn't wear a helmet, nor do I think it's wrong.
What I'm trying to point out is that conversations about head injuries in skating, (protective gear, etc.) should be informed by analysis rather than just emotional value judgements, because eventually these conversations turn into public policy.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
tossing my 2 cents in here:

I've been wearing my helmet for all skating ever since my son was born. Part for the wife, part for him, part so when he later (potentially) started skating, since he'd have to wear one, I didn't want to get called out as a hypocrite.

It feels awkward and "nerdy" for a bit, but that passes. And if anybody actually tries to make fun then they are most likely a colossal kook, so fuck 'em.

SPB!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
sup mikev

helmets are smart, skateboarders are dumb

Jimbo Jones

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I might be getting a bit off topic, but has anyone else here dealt with concussions? I’ve been dealing with post concussion syndrome over the past year as a result of three mTBIs, and it’s been absolutely miserable.
[close]
Dude, a “year?” I’ve been dealing with PCS for two months. This shit fucking sucks. Fatigue, cognitive issues, irritability, sensitivity to sound and light, headaches... Fuck this shit. Stopped skating for a month and rested all the time. Symptoms got way better. Skated once, tried to do a back 3 and got dizzy. Went right back to headaches and all that other shit all over again. Back to square one. Fuck
Yeah you need to ease back into exercise, if you overexert yourself right out the gate you’re likely to have a relapse of symptoms. Sorry to hear about your injury, id recommend eating clean, staying sober, and doing things like meditation and light exercise to minimize stress. Best of luck with your recovery.

Jimbo Jones

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »
Although they certainly can help mitigate the damage from hitting your head, helmets can’t prevent all concussions. Both of the mTBIs I’ve sustained skating were the result of whiplash.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Although they certainly can help mitigate the damage from hitting your head, helmets can’t prevent all concussions. Both of the mTBIs I’ve sustained skating were the result of whiplash.
acting like a maniac will give you whiplash.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »
I list almost 2 years of my memory from a car wreck at 19 yrs of age. I've been skating 30+ years, a large part in crusty east coast ramps that pitched you 6-8 ft straight to flat when you'd get the mail holding the coping on. I just shaved my head last week for the first time in decades. My wife just said of my, the back of your head is.... scars everywhere. She has been telling me I have cte, mostly just because I repeat myself VERY often, and argue I've never said things before. Only thing I noticed is I can't remember numerical sequences, and have trouble with mathmatics, which I was strong in my youth. Time is also very blurry. 
What I'm trying to say is now Jenkem and Slap are both taking about this possibility, maybe it's time for me to not be so argumentative about it. But I believe you must die before they can biopsy your brain to see if CTE is the issue.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
It's weird because i never wear one skateboarding, but snowboarding i wear it pretty often unless its street or DIY shit.
The difference for me is being able to kick your board away and learning how to bail properly, where snowboarding you have your feet locked into your board.
I was doing cab 2 frontboard and i caught my heel edge on the rail and flew backwards and smashed my head on the hard ass snow. Wouldn't catch me trying that on a skateboard tho lol

basically skateboarding has this art of bailing properly which makes helmets almost pointless unless you're sending it.
[close]

I never even feel weird putting on a helmet to go snowboarding... I know I'm gonna usually try and hit some off course, back country shit so to speak, come close to trees, cutting my own lines, so it makes sense to wear one.

But I will forever feel awkward putting one on to skate anything.To hit your head in skating is kinda pretty tough to do,  even if you're not a pro at falling.

Snowboarding is usually so much faster and even though I have never done it before,  not even learning at first, have I ever caught an edge and got tossed, but I do expect to go damn near head over heels at some point every time I go. Not ever in skating.

When I was 14 I would secretly wear my soccer ankle guards skating on days after my ankles took a thrashing.  LMAO, Low key, I've always secretly wondered if anybody else ever did this, but would never,  never ask. Hahaha

Yeah I have done that and knocked myself out before snowboarding and I was wearing a helmet, I've also knocked myself out playing hockey, another sport that needs a helmet, I've never knocked myself out skateboarding though

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:29 AM »
I didn't wear helmets much skating my first go-around ('87-'93).  Biggest I went was a 9 stair, and spent a lot of time on mini ramps - no pools or vert.

I started up again five years ago at 40 and wear one most of the time now.  If I'm dicking around in a parking lot, no.  But if I'm skating a concrete park I strap one on.

A couple months ago I was getting a new helmet for my 7 year old and noticed they had a few "Certified" helmets on the shelf and mostly non-certified.  I asked about it and the shop employee told me that the non-certfied ones provided no brain protection.  I did a bit of research and realized the Triple-8 Sweatsaver I had been wearing for years was pretty much useless.  I bought an S1 Lifer helmet that actually absorbs impact.

I hadn't hit my head in years although I have had a couple concussions in the past. Yesterday I was at the skatepark trying a new line which necessitated hauling ass.  I mis-timed a pump bump at speed and ate shit hard.  When my head hit the concrete I heard the foam cracking.   Headache, a little dizzy and a sore neck.  I do think that if I had my old helmet on I would have been much worse, and if I had no helmet I would have been laying on the concrete bleeding.

This is the testing showing the actual g-force reduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVizAB6kSo

This is the park I ate it at, which is pretty damn fun (when the scooter kids are in school) and you can haul ass.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BltEoRPBtCM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
i've been thinking lately that the level of the gnarly side of skating has gotten to the point that those guys might want to put a helmet on. like when you see vert guys selectively wearing pads, they can tell when they need the helmet or knees.

the slam with foy seemed like that was probably in the level of gnar that a helmet would make sense. i could imagine street parts working if the guys were doing similar thing and putting on helmets for the really gnarly steep stuff. i think it's unfortunate that some really talented guys are going to get seriously fucked while the culture and industry figures it all out. it's obvious that skaters are taking way more risks than ever before though and i seriously hope seeing people get knocked out like in that deathwish part doesn't become the norm.

Harry in Your Pocket

• Rep: -20
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
I wear a helmet when I ski. I wear a helmet wen I ride my road bike. I didnt wear a helmet when I skate.

I’ve had 2 concussions over the last 3 years. The last one I hade about 8 months of post concussion disorder. I work in IT. I can’t lose this job it’s how I take care of my family.

Had to slow down. Don’t do anything more than push now. Never could do much Skating either, which might explain the concussions.

My only goal now is to skate(a bit and safely) on my birthday, June 21st 2021. I’ll be 50 and it’s also go skateboarding day.

Don’t fuck with your brains. Most skateboarders are already way to fucking stupid as it is. You guys can’t afford to lose any more brain function.