Author Topic: switch delusion  (Read 3698 times)

nooky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
switch delusion
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
you know how when you first pick up a golf club or a concrete trowel theres the immediately intuitive way of holding it, and then theres the counter intuitive but 'correct' way of holding it?

I feel like skating 'switch' is the same thing but no one talks about it. the intuitive way of skating maybe isn't the best looking way. case in point - switch flips when done well are so much cleaner looking than regular flips. the way people naturally skate with their shoulders parallel to the board when skating switch is way more aesthetically pleasing than the way people skate chest forward regular. what do u think?

i guess its just that skating switch is hard as fuck so skating naturally progressed on the easier lines.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
Re: switch delusion
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
I don't know what the fuck you talking about but this is switch below.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »
I'm thankful that someone finally has the balls to address skateboarding's dirtiest secret.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »

dudes real good. that edit was such trash

GinosGroceries

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
This is an interesting concept.
If skating switch is in fact "correct," then I don't think it's a matter of people not talking about it, rather it's that people don't realize it.

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Yeah and Roger Federer should be swinging his racket with his left arm, huh?
So switch is regular and regular is switch. GENIUS!!!!!!
All right handers need to begin writing with their left hand immediately in the wake of this discovery.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I've only played golf 3 times (because it's boring as fuck), but I found I felt just as comfortable swinging either way. Neither felt more comfortable or correct.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
But if you can't do the trick in your natural stance but can do it "switch" does it count as switch?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »
But if you can't do the trick in your natural stance but can do it "switch" does it count as switch?
Mike Mo couldn't do regular 3 flips for quite some time but had them on lockdown switch, so I guess a switch 3 flip is...double switch?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
I think this is why some tricks, like frontside pop shove its, are easier switch. you keep your shoulders parallel better switch.

Get the strap

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
I think this debate always leaves out the fun factor that some people have more fun doing a trick a certain way therefore seems easier. It's not that something is harder per se you have to consider the skater thinks a certain trick is wack if it's not done switch or vice versa....or they mastered it regular before they started filming and then started skating switch to be sicker and only film it switch, nothing to do with awkwardness of attempting the trick, more about style and attitude.

I'm not a fan of the debate to scientifically debunk switch skating...maybe scientifically addressing your actual stance I can get down with, but I don't think to this day there is a defining reason about goofy or regular foot. But for switch, nah switch is switch, nollie is nollie, fakie is fakie, which IMO, historically, is based off of style and attitude.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Mike Mo couldn't do regular 3 flips for quite some time but had them on lockdown switch, so I guess a switch 3 flip is...double switch?

Whoa! That makes only 3 people I can think of who 360 flip better switch: Jamal Smith, Johnny Layton, and I guess young Mike Mo.

I find it interesting how many people are better at switch flips. I think someone else here has also mentioned that pretty much no one has a sloppy switch backside flip - like ppl are either amazing at them or can't do em at all.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was pretty stylish

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Whoa! That makes only 3 people I can think of who 360 flip better switch: Jamal Smith, Johnny Layton, and I guess young Mike Mo.

I find it interesting how many people are better at switch flips. I think someone else here has also mentioned that pretty much no one has a sloppy switch backside flip - like ppl are either amazing at them or can't do em at all.
I wanna say it was creager ( maybe Guy) who brought that argument up in an interview a long time ago.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »
When I could do switch flips and nollie flips, they felt really, really comfortable at times - some of the most solid feelings ever, actually.

I've only played golf 3 times (because it's boring as fuck), but I found I felt just as comfortable swinging either way. Neither felt more comfortable or correct.

Me too. It's really weird, I always hesitate and guess whenever I rent a club for the driving range. They give me looks, I give them looks, fun times.

3 people I can think of who 360 flip better switch: Jamal Smith, Johnny Layton, and I guess young Mike Mo.

Also Jereme Rogers. Ali Boulala learned kickflips switch before regular as well.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

add Kyle Nicholson to the list

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This guy is the embodiment of Venice park and I mean that in the worst way possible

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »
the way people naturally skate with their shoulders parallel to the board when skating switch is way more aesthetically pleasing than the way people skate chest forward regular. what do u think?
It depends, but definitely not in transition from what I've seen. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »
This maybe should be in the conspiracy thread but "Switch" was popularised by people who were that berated that they pushed Mongo they switched their stance.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 03:02:06 AM »
Btw has anyone noticed how stevie williams, who used to have pretty much nothing but switch footy, lately seems to be posting mostly regular tricks on instagram?

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
Btw has anyone noticed how stevie williams, who used to have pretty much nothing but switch footy, lately seems to be posting mostly regular tricks on instagram?

He can be lil stevie again. Just skatin not tryna impress nobody. Doin it for the LUV AND FOR THE CULTURE.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
AvE also

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
AvE also

Guy Mariano

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »

tricks obviously good but man i hate looking at that venice park