Author Topic: Cory Kennedy doing 4 years  (Read 69432 times)

kentrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -199
Re: Cory Kennedy doing 4 years
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
the system is so fucked up. .10 aint shit.  first time offense shouldn't have gotten jail time at all.  i could see maybe some community service, but that's totally fucked up in my eyes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:53:35 PM by kentrock »

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
the system is so fucked up. .10 aint shit.  first time offense shouldn't have gotten jail time at all.  i could see maybe some community service, but that's totally fucked up in my eyes.

Maybe, if someone didn’t die.  That’s a whole different ballgame.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
.10 isn’t even drunk at all.  Doesn’t matter in the eyes of everyone, it seems.  I got a DUI like an idiot and my BAC was .25.  Luckily I didn’t hurt anyone, but just the thought of it makes me feel like shit.  It was his driving that caused the accident, not his drunkness.  P-Stone may have even lived had he had his seatbelt on.  Either way, it’s fucked up.  RIP P-Stone and Godspeed to Cory.

I can't believe I'm weighing in on this as it's been beaten to death, but .1 is definitely too tipsy to be driving. Tolerance or not. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about and is an idiot/deluded.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:15:24 AM by Burt Ward »
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:10 AM »
Expand Quote
.10 isn’t even drunk at all.  Doesn’t matter in the eyes of everyone, it seems.  I got a DUI like an idiot and my BAC was .25.  Luckily I didn’t hurt anyone, but just the thought of it makes me feel like shit.  It was his driving that caused the accident, not his drunkness.  P-Stone may have even lived had he had his seatbelt on.  Either way, it’s fucked up.  RIP P-Stone and Godspeed to Cory.
[close]

I can't believe I'm weighing in on this as it's been beaten to death, but .1 is definitely too tipsy to be driving. Tolerance or not. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about and is an idiot/deluded.
yeah, I was biting my tongue on that post fo'sho. Get an Asian at .1 and see how absolutely maggot some of them can be. Even for 0.05, it depends on the person. I'm lucky to drink once a month these days so me after 2 beers in a car would be potentially quite dangerous. Complain all you like but zero tolerance laws seem to be the way to go imho

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2018, 12:40:53 AM »
It would make sense for drinking and driving to be illegal.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2018, 12:51:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s not.  That’s like a couple of beers. That’s not drunk, my man. Slightly impaired, but not drunk.  People go to dinner and have a couple glasses of wine/beer/sake and you could potentially blow over the legal.08.  You can take a sip of listerine and blow over the limit.  Either way, you’re in the wrong with anything in your system. He shouldn’t have been behind the wheel, and it’s known he drove recklessly in the past.  I know what I’m talking about, I’m a goddamn RN in a neurological ICU.  Not making excuses here, just saying he wasn’t wasted.  He drove recklessly and had a tragic accident.  A life was lost, but it was his driving behavior that caused that.  And P-Stone would have potentially lived had he had a seatbelt on, but that’s a non issue at this point.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:02:57 AM by Dark Knight »

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2018, 01:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s not.  That’s like a couple of beers. That’s not drunk, my man. Slightly impaired, but not drunk.  People go to dinner and have a couple glasses of wine/beer/sake and you could potentially blow over the legal.08.  You can take a sip of listerine and blow over the limit.  Either way, you’re in the wrong with anything in your system. He shouldn’t have been behind the wheel, and it’s known he drove recklessly in the past.  I know what I’m talking about, I’m a goddamn RN in a neurological ICU.  Not making excuses here, just saying he wasn’t wasted.  He drove recklessly and had a tragic accident.  A life was lost, but it was his driving behavior that caused that.  And P-Stone would have potentially lived had he had a seatbelt on, but that’s a non issue at this point.

I'm not saying that either you'll notice. I said tipsy. i.e, intoxicated enough to not be fully on the ball. I hate laws as much as the next guy who thinks they're tough cos they ride a skateboard, but the limit here in Australia is .05 and I think that's spot on. .05 as a general rule is 2 standard drinks the first hour and one thereafter. Less for women and small cunts. Now I'm a seasoned drinker/recovering alcoholic, and the few times I've drunk since quitting my O.T.T boozing ways, I can feel two drinks effecting me. I would not recommend driving after three in an hour although I have several times and felt like a total shitcunt the next day.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2018, 01:52:53 AM »
I feel you.  Not trying to downplay this at all.  People are making it seem he was Boulala wasted when this happened, which isn’t the case.  Just a tragic accident.  Could’ve happened sober or not.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:43:06 AM by Dark Knight »

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
i still think one of an important fatal factor is that the seat belt wasnt on? does anyone know the "exact" course of the accident? Even the "smallest" crash can be fatal, when not wearing a seat belt, that's a crucial thing

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2018, 05:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You are a fucking idiot.
The facts are staring you in the face and yet you keep digging.
PS - your glorious nursing career? It doesn't mean anything in this discussion. The driver was impaired and his actions killed a man. So guess what, he's in prison. Take the L, kook.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2018, 05:20:26 AM »
I’m not making excuses at all, man. I’m just saying that .10 is hardly drunk. Impaired, yes. People are making it seem like he was black out wasted. He shouldn’t have been behind the wheel, of course. I never advocated that. Don’t make it out to seem like it’s more than it isn’t. Just my own opinion, and you can shit on it all you want but I think his driving was the issue. He had gotten multiple moving violations prior to this, and considering he was driving on roads he knows he probably felt comfortable driving a bit reckless. And had P-Stone been wearing a seatbelt this’d just be another crazy story to be told over a bonfire. Just shitty all the way around. I wasn’t there, none of us were, so who knows? He just wasn’t as trashed as people make him out to be.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:12:58 AM by Dark Knight »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2018, 06:13:57 AM »
well he's in jail now so I guess it doesn't matter. but from that video its nice to know that his sentence was reduced from 8-10 years to 4 based on testimonials from p-stones family. I think that says a lot right there.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
I love Cory's skating and his personality but why should I feel bad that you're being punished? Somebody lost their life because you were reckless and stupid. It's all very sad. A man is dead in the grave because you made stupid decisions. He had family and friends and loved ones. And now he's dead. He's fucking dead but in 4 years you can kickflip on the street. I hope you learn from this Cory and grow as a person. Best wishes to you.

The people saying stuff like "he already feels bad enough, this is too much" are dumb as fuck.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

feedmeseymour

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not saying that either you'll notice. I said tipsy. i.e, intoxicated enough to not be fully on the ball. I hate laws as much as the next guy who thinks they're tough cos they ride a skateboard, but the limit here in Australia is .05 and I think that's spot on. .05 as a general rule is 2 standard drinks the first hour and one thereafter. Less for women and small cunts. Now I'm a seasoned drinker/recovering alcoholic, and the few times I've drunk since quitting my O.T.T boozing ways, I can feel two drinks effecting me. I would not recommend driving after three in an hour although I have several times and felt like a total shitcunt the next day.

I don’t feel like reading any of this but I think it’s great Batman and robin are going back and forth.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2018, 06:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t feel like reading any of this but I think it’s great Batman and robin are going back and forth.
Agreed.

berries and a twig

• Rep: -7
  • fucking steak
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2018, 07:15:56 AM »
I wanna know what the inmate popular opinion is in jail on DUI homicide, will he have his on cell due to he’s b class celeb status? Every inmate will already know what he’s in for.

Thoughts?
Shouldn’t it be “Cory Kennedy off Nike”?  Pretty sure there’s a way to edit titles of threads.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2018, 08:57:55 AM »
I was reading about Sam Kinison's death the other day and he died from a head-on collision with a drunk driver who only received a sentence of 1 year of probation and 300 hours of community service.

Anyhow, 4 years in prison is rough but pales in comparison to the lifetime psychological prison sentence he also has to deal with.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

interesting. this kinda of changes the framework of the discussion.

That said, this kinda sums it up, from PStones wife

"But Maigetter's widow, Anna Cobb, spoke for the prosecution.

“One day, you’re going to have kids and you’re going to understand the depths of this. I know you didn't mean to do it and I love you,” she said.""
[close]

This right here confirmed a lot of the feelings I already had about this case.  She may care for cory, but she isnt cool with the situation at all, she wants repercussions and him to be held accountable, which is how skateboarding should be treating it.  Of course he is a great person but you cant live without consequences, especially when the widow agrees.  "this isnt what preston would have wanted" doesnt hold much weight considering preston also drunk drove constantly.  obviously not the same, but a drug addict wouldnt want another drug addict persecuted. 

Heart goes out to cory, hope he can serve his sentence in peace and come out the same person he was before.  Skateboarding will be waiting with open arms.

I think this is a fair take, but one thing I can't help but shake is the conditions of prisons as a whole. The idea of justice being served is to ultimately rehabilitate somebody so that they can be conditioned for society, and it seems in most cases that's not really what happens. Most people come out of jails worse than they were going in and struggle to hop back in with the tide of society, especially for someone like Cory with an eccentric profession that may not be there when he gets out.

Cory messed up and there should be consequences, but the prison system is a pretty fucked place. I think we as a society should strive to greater means to actually rehabilitate people, and I say that as a general take and not because we're talking about a talented skateboarder.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
I’m not making excuses at all, man. I’m just saying that .10 is hardly drunk. Impaired, yes. People are making it seem like he was black out wasted. He shouldn’t have been behind the wheel, of course. I never advocated that. Don’t make it out to seem like it’s more than it isn’t. Just my own opinion, and you can shit on it all you want but I think his driving was the issue. He had gotten multiple moving violations prior to this, and considering he was driving on roads he knows he probably felt comfortable driving a bit reckless. And had P-Stone been wearing a seatbelt this’d just be another crazy story to be told over a bonfire. Just shitty all the way around. I wasn’t there, none of us were, so who knows? He just wasn’t as trashed as people make him out to be.

it’s not drunk but it’s enough to delay judgement by even a second or two which is more than enough time to make a mistake on a turn like that. you and a lot of people in herecan’t seem to wrap your heads around that. every millisecond counts you’re in. e position he was and whether .1 is “drunk bro” or not, it’s apparently enough to take a life.
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There you have it, Dark Knight. Case closed everyone.

Here Come The Lame Jets

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

“One day, you’re going to have kids and you’re going to understand the depths of this. I know you didn't mean to do it and I love you,” she said.""
[close]

This right here confirmed a lot of the feelings I already had about this case.  She may care for cory, but she isnt cool with the situation at all, she wants repercussions and him to be held accountable, which is how skateboarding should be treating it.  Of course he is a great person but you cant live without consequences, especially when the widow agrees.  "this isnt what preston would have wanted" doesnt hold much weight considering preston also drunk drove constantly.  obviously not the same, but a drug addict wouldnt want another drug addict persecuted. 

Heart goes out to cory, hope he can serve his sentence in peace and come out the same person he was before.  Skateboarding will be waiting with open arms.
[close]

I think this is a fair take, but one thing I can't help but shake is the conditions of prisons as a whole. The idea of justice being served is to ultimately rehabilitate somebody so that they can be conditioned for society, and it seems in most cases that's not really what happens. Most people come out of jails worse than they were going in and struggle to hop back in with the tide of society, especially for someone like Cory with an eccentric profession that may not be there when he gets out.

Cory messed up and there should be consequences, but the prison system is a pretty fucked place. I think we as a society should strive to greater means to actually rehabilitate people, and I say that as a general take and not because we're talking about a talented skateboarder.

Prison is about punishment not rehabilitation. Sentence length is determined by elected officials (judges/prosecutors) who run for office promising stiffer sentences than their predecessor. I am sure Cory would learn his lesson after a month in prison, but that would not reflect well on the judge who will be up for election in the near future.

kentrock

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe, if someone didn’t die.  That’s a whole different ballgame.

it wasn't intentional, and it not like he held a gun to his head, it was a fucking accident.  for cory kennedy to be blamed for his death is bs.

kentrock

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I love Cory's skating and his personality but why should I feel bad that you're being punished? Somebody lost their life because you were reckless and stupid. It's all very sad. A man is dead in the grave because you made stupid decisions. He had family and friends and loved ones. And now he's dead. He's fucking dead but in 4 years you can kickflip on the street. I hope you learn from this Cory and grow as a person. Best wishes to you.
[close]

The people saying stuff like "he already feels bad enough, this is too much" are dumb as fuck.

you think you're going to make him feel worse about it by locking him up?  I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't think that is the only goal of prisons, especially in the United States. I would say, in Cory's case, a lot of it is just as a deterrent to everyone else to make them think twice about driving drunk themselves. While not applicable in this case, you also have the idea of frontier or old testament justice in states that believe in the death penalty. So, while rehabilitation is a goal, it is not the only supposed goal of prisons or even the primary one.

Seriously, Cory is one of my favorite skaters. I hope he can come back at a similar age as Guy's comeback and wow the industry again. But, even if he feels absolutely terrible and is unlikely to do it again, that isn't the only purpose of his sentence.

kentrock

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
p-stone wouldn't have wanted him to go to jail.  they just wanted to fuck up his life and career

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Laws are laws

You dont get to break them because your homies ok with it
Gentleman ninja warlock

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
Laws are laws

You dont get to break them because your homies ok with it

p-stone wouldn't have wanted him to go to jail.  they just wanted to fuck up his life and career

another thread where the dynamic between posters astounds me!

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »
i was in jail w/ a bulgarian trucker who killed 4 people behind the wheel. he said it wasn't his fault but he had cocaine in his piss or some shit so they hit him w/ 4 yrs. some would say he got off light but he served them in county not state so he had to do the whole shit.
if he was in rawlins he would've been w/ more heavy hitters but paroled halfway through.
also i think state prison had smoking back then.
he got beat up by a smaller kid, a college wrestler in for bad checks, originally from VA.
he was able to forgive himself since he was suffering, i think that's the only benefit of being forced to suffer the deprivations of jail.
you're actually suffering asides your own thoughts and you wanna get free and it's absurd because you're not making amends, you're not being tortured on the rack, it's just slow burn for punishment's sake.
doing time is something, i hope to never go back.
all you peopple out for justice, i hope you get to experience it, might change your tune.

IHOP

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This situation doesnt really warrant a discussion about our broken prison system.  Someone died from drunk/impaired driving, and the driver was sentenced to 4 years. That is relatively fair considering the hundreds of people serving life for non violent drug charges, or the black 15 year old charged as an adult and locked up for 5 years after stealing a pair of jordans, or so many other cases that make no lick of sense.

As other people said already, the us prison system isnt really to rehabilitate, its punishment and deterent.  How would you rehabilitate someone in with 2 strikes who drunk drove and crashes into another car killing them?  Just send them to rehab?  Again, there are a lot of people sitting in prison who shouldnt be right now, but I think impaired driving involving a death should face some form of punishment, regardless of wether it was a friend or not.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
but bro the judge. she just hates skaters and doesn’t wanna see him succeed!!