Author Topic: Cory Kennedy doing 4 years  (Read 69426 times)

nopes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
Re: Cory Kennedy doing 4 years
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
I’m curious what people that think he shouldn’t have any jail time think should happen to people that drink and drive and end up killing someone.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
.10 isn’t even drunk at all.  Doesn’t matter in the eyes of everyone, it seems.  I got a DUI like an idiot and my BAC was .25.  Luckily I didn’t hurt anyone, but just the thought of it makes me feel like shit.  It was his driving that caused the accident, not his drunkness.  P-Stone may have even lived had he had his seatbelt on.  Either way, it’s fucked up.  RIP P-Stone and Godspeed to Cory.
[close]

I can't believe I'm weighing in on this as it's been beaten to death, but .1 is definitely too tipsy to be driving. Tolerance or not. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about and is an idiot/deluded.
[close]

It’s not.  That’s like a couple of beers. That’s not drunk, my man. Slightly impaired, but not drunk.  People go to dinner and have a couple glasses of wine/beer/sake and you could potentially blow over the legal.08.  You can take a sip of listerine and blow over the limit.  Either way, you’re in the wrong with anything in your system. He shouldn’t have been behind the wheel, and it’s known he drove recklessly in the past.  I know what I’m talking about, I’m a goddamn RN in a neurological ICU.  Not making excuses here, just saying he wasn’t wasted.  He drove recklessly and had a tragic accident.  A life was lost, but it was his driving behavior that caused that.  And P-Stone would have potentially lived had he had a seatbelt on, but that’s a non issue at this point.

let's revisit that one. literally everything you said after that means nothing to me because of how dumb this sentence is. A "sip of listerine" will never having you blowing .08. You're a nurse in the ICU and you think this ignorant shit? Come on.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

interesting. this kinda of changes the framework of the discussion.

That said, this kinda sums it up, from PStones wife

"But Maigetter's widow, Anna Cobb, spoke for the prosecution.

“One day, you’re going to have kids and you’re going to understand the depths of this. I know you didn't mean to do it and I love you,” she said.""
[close]

This right here confirmed a lot of the feelings I already had about this case.  She may care for cory, but she isnt cool with the situation at all, she wants repercussions and him to be held accountable, which is how skateboarding should be treating it.  Of course he is a great person but you cant live without consequences, especially when the widow agrees.  "this isnt what preston would have wanted" doesnt hold much weight considering preston also drunk drove constantly.  obviously not the same, but a drug addict wouldnt want another drug addict persecuted. 

Heart goes out to cory, hope he can serve his sentence in peace and come out the same person he was before.  Skateboarding will be waiting with open arms.
[close]

I think this is a fair take, but one thing I can't help but shake is the conditions of prisons as a whole. The idea of justice being served is to ultimately rehabilitate somebody so that they can be conditioned for society, and it seems in most cases that's not really what happens. Most people come out of jails worse than they were going in and struggle to hop back in with the tide of society, especially for someone like Cory with an eccentric profession that may not be there when he gets out.

Cory messed up and there should be consequences, but the prison system is a pretty fucked place. I think we as a society should strive to greater means to actually rehabilitate people, and I say that as a general take and not because we're talking about a talented skateboarder.
[close]

This situation doesnt really warrant a discussion about our broken prison system.  Someone died from drunk/impaired driving, and the driver was sentenced to 4 years. That is relatively fair considering the hundreds of people serving life for non violent drug charges, or the black 15 year old charged as an adult and locked up for 5 years after stealing a pair of jordans, or so many other cases that make no lick of sense.

As other people said already, the us prison system isnt really to rehabilitate, its punishment and deterent.  How would you rehabilitate someone in with 2 strikes who drunk drove and crashes into another car killing them?  Just send them to rehab?  Again, there are a lot of people sitting in prison who shouldnt be right now, but I think impaired driving involving a death should face some form of punishment, regardless of wether it was a friend or not.

I think a conversation about someone going to prison is just as good a time as ever to discuss prison. There’s a reason they’re called CORRECTIONAL facilities.

I just don’t think criminal justice is as black and white as most people like to behave, and in no way am I saying that Cory facing consequences is unfair. I just think a big potpourri of criminals of varying degrees is a strange concept if you really think about it. The idea of a facility housing someone who committed manslaughter, stabbed their wife, raped a child, or even just sold weed altogether in (more or less) the same conditions is just odd to me.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
i was in jail w/ a bulgarian trucker who killed 4 people behind the wheel. he said it wasn't his fault but he had cocaine in his piss or some shit so they hit him w/ 4 yrs. some would say he got off light but he served them in county not state so he had to do the whole shit.
if he was in rawlins he would've been w/ more heavy hitters but paroled halfway through.
also i think state prison had smoking back then.
he got beat up by a smaller kid, a college wrestler in for bad checks, originally from VA.
he was able to forgive himself since he was suffering, i think that's the only benefit of being forced to suffer the deprivations of jail.
you're actually suffering asides your own thoughts and you wanna get free and it's absurd because you're not making amends, you're not being tortured on the rack, it's just slow burn for punishment's sake.
doing time is something, i hope to never go back.
all you peopple out for justice, i hope you get to experience it, might change your tune.

Yeah yeah, crime good, justice bad, we get it. Focus your account again and don't come back.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »
I’m curious what people that think he shouldn’t have any jail time think should happen to people that drink and drive and end up killing someone.

he wasn't even drunk.  i could have happened to any sober person too.  it was a fucking accident!!!  should everyone that has an accident go to prison???
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:07:00 PM by kentrock »

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
You don’t think the alcohol factored into the accident at all?

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
i was in jail w/ a bulgarian trucker who killed 4 people behind the wheel. he said it wasn't his fault but he had cocaine in his piss or some shit so they hit him w/ 4 yrs. some would say he got off light but he served them in county not state so he had to do the whole shit.
if he was in rawlins he would've been w/ more heavy hitters but paroled halfway through.
also i think state prison had smoking back then.
he got beat up by a smaller kid, a college wrestler in for bad checks, originally from VA.
he was able to forgive himself since he was suffering, i think that's the only benefit of being forced to suffer the deprivations of jail.
you're actually suffering asides your own thoughts and you wanna get free and it's absurd because you're not making amends, you're not being tortured on the rack, it's just slow burn for punishment's sake.
doing time is something, i hope to never go back.
all you peopple out for justice, i hope you get to experience it, might change your tune.
[close]

Yeah yeah, crime good, justice bad, we get it. Focus your account again and don't come back.
if i could save crime in a bottle, the first thing that i'd liek to do
is smash alan in that face w/ the bottle of crime
the 2nd thing i'd like to do is gouge your face w/ the leftover shards of that bottle.
lucky for you i can't save crime in a bottle and lucky for me, you're not an authority and i don't focus on your command.
where ever did you get the idear that i'm pro crime? i just don't think there's such a thing as 'justice'. there's punishment in america and also recidivism and job security for dumb ass guards and the investors in private prisons companies like CCA and Wackenhut. then there's the sinecure position for the 'tough on crime' right wing and let's not let lefties off the hook since bill clinton made 3 strikes and was rockefeller [he of the harsh crack laws] a democrat? someone wikipedia that.
i'm not sure what the appropriate response would be but putting bad people in cages tends to make them worse, makes their social milieu worse for sure [white power gangs, anyone?].
some euro countries have a more progressive prison system than we do. then there's alternatives, ck has money. take that, and call it 'justice'. or have him survive on bainbridge isle w/ primitive tools and come back to society having learned something. i think that's how australia was started. volunteer doing something rad for unfortunate people? idk there's lots of other stuff you can do besides live in a bathroom for 4 yrs.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

he wasn't even drunk.  i could have happened to any sober person too.  it was a fucking accident!!!  should everyone that has an accident go to prison???
if they have alcohol in their system, then yes, they should at least be tried in a court of law. P-Stone didn't have a seatbelt on either which I can't even fathom as a father. Anyway, they both made mistakes and now Cory has to pay for his choices. The whole "his suffering alone is enough, he shouldn't have to go to jail" would NOT fly in any other case and/ or if Cory was just some random person (which he is in the eyes of the law).

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

billyerlife

« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Imagine it was the person you've loved for 20 years, the mother or father of your children, would your reaction be the same?"Oh yeah, he killed the person I've loved for 20 years when he was drunk driving, but whatever, accidents happen! He was barely drunk anyway!" Of course not, because your argument is terrible.

Cory crashed the car going way too fast on a road he knew well. Cory did so after drinking enough to be legally drunk. You seem to be arguing he should take no blame, does that really not seem crazy to you? I am not suggesting he is a monster at all, I feel bad for the kid, but to argue that this was strictly an accident, with no one to blame?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you understand thats what the charge of manslaughter is right? "the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Anybody who reads this has been warned.  Don’t drive drunk.  Don’t drive tipsy.  Your choices have an impact and consequences.  Equivocate all you want, but we all know that drunk driving kills.  And if you’re the type who drinks and drives on the regular then I suggest you just kill yourself now and save potential heartbreak for the family and friends and loved ones of the people you might hurt.  That’s too harsh but whatever, fuck off. 

Pretty Serious

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
Great example of our medieval justice system at work.  Bad choices, horrible consequences, now young man must go spend an arbitrary amount of time trying not to be extorted, raped and/or beaten.  As mentioned, there's a long list of worse people doing less time for worse things. 

Cory as a celebrity role model to youth would've been better sentenced to 4 years of recounting his mistakes at high school auditoriums and house arrest.  I understand the victim's need to feel justice, but in 3-4 years it's not like she's going to be like "ok, we're fair and square now". 

Guessing that judges have little mercy to show for skateboarders in general let alone the sponsored ones.  In a better world, his right to a trial by jury should've landed him at the mercy of slap.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2018, 08:14:52 PM »
Why does everyone think he’s gonna get raped or beat up? He’ll probably be in a low security prison in washington and be pretty safe if he stays low key. Still horrible to spend years in prison but i don’t think it’s gonna be some lockup extended stay shit

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
Anybody who reads this has been warned.  Don’t drive drunk.  Don’t drive tipsy.  Your choices have an impact and consequences.  Equivocate all you want, but we all know that drunk driving kills.  And if you’re the type who drinks and drives on the regular then I suggest you just kill yourself now and save potential heartbreak for the family and friends and loved ones of the people you might hurt.  That’s too harsh but whatever, fuck off.

I also support more suicide.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Guessing that judges have little mercy to show for skateboarders in general let alone the sponsored ones.
skaters deserve special treatment in the court of law?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kentrock

« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you understand thats what the charge of manslaughter is right? "the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."

the system is fucked.  he didnt say, hey, im going to kill p-stone tonight.  he had no intention it turning out how it went down.  i can see community service or something, but not prison. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:26:49 PM by kentrock »

kentrock

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
Great example of our medieval justice system at work.  Bad choices, horrible consequences, now young man must go spend an arbitrary amount of time trying not to be extorted, raped and/or beaten.  As mentioned, there's a long list of worse people doing less time for worse things. 

Cory as a celebrity role model to youth would've been better sentenced to 4 years of recounting his mistakes at high school auditoriums and house arrest.  I understand the victim's need to feel justice, but in 3-4 years it's not like she's going to be like "ok, we're fair and square now". 

Guessing that judges have little mercy to show for skateboarders in general let alone the sponsored ones.  In a better world, his right to a trial by jury should've landed him at the mercy of slap.

the victims need for revenge, not justice.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »
Fuck, I know better than to look at the comments on any news article, but holy shit the commenters here are out for blood.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/10/01/skateboarder-cory-kennedy-gets-4-years-in-prison-for-fatal-dui-crash.html

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IHOP

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
Fuck, I know better than to look at the comments on any news article, but holy shit the commenters here are out for blood.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/10/01/skateboarder-cory-kennedy-gets-4-years-in-prison-for-fatal-dui-crash.html

I was curious why there was so many right wing commenters then realized it was a fox news article, surprised they picked it up.

kentrock

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was curious why there was so many right wing commenters then realized it was a fox news article, surprised they picked it up.

prolly assholes like that on the jury

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if the Olympic's have made skateboarding a legitimate sport "in the fair and balanced no spin zone" or if this was just an opportunity for them to get riled up over a crime (that involves an non-traditional young offender). My guess is the latter. Honestly, I'm just amazed how hateful people get in the comments section. It is amazing how people bend a situation to fit a preconceived notion of the world and run with it at full speed.

As for Cory's punishment, there isn't a right answer. Cory fucked up. If he weighs 140-ish, .10 puts him at 3 to 4 drinks, not to mention the weed (source https://www.businessinsider.com/drinks-before-driving-if-bac-is-05-2013-5). But to quote P-Stone's mom, “Preston would have wanted that his friend and colleague, Cory, never be imprisoned for his actions but, as an alternative, for Cory to take responsibility and to give back to the community.”

I don't have any clue what the repercussions for something like this should be. I zero faith in American prisons, but I don't have much faith in rehab either. Honestly, the only thing I've seen actually change people's behavior is integrating them back into a community and increasing their moral obligations to those around them. Prison and rehab don't really do this all that well.

But, outside of the offender, punishing affects the community. Outside of the simple fact that punishing someone can feel really good (revenge), can we allow someone to make decisions that result in the death of another person and then go on with no punishment? I don't know. Something about that feels pretty wrong.

But, it seems the only thing any of us could do at this point might be to contribute to P-Stone's family's gofundme (https://www.gofundme.com/preston-maigetter-memorial-fund) and have some sympathy for Cory (write the dude a letter). Also, maybe learn from the situation. I'd imagine a fair amount of dudes on here have done some stupid shit behind the wheel of a car, maybe the only positive thing from this whole situation can be to remind the rest of us that it might be worth it just to pay for the taxi rather than lose one of our friends.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:46:20 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There was no jury. He plead guilty before one was even formed. It never went to an actual trial. He plead to an agreement with the DA with a sentencing recommendation.

Do you just have hot-takes on this case without actually understanding what happened?

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So you realize that there is no jury when the defendant takes a plea deal, and goes straight to sentencing. It's just the judge

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »

I have an uncle that almost killed a little girl while he was drunk driving. That was in the mid 90s, that fucker hasn't changed. I had to move my car once after I had two beers and that made me feel bad.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:39 AM »
Cory as a celebrity role model to youth would've been better sentenced to 4 years of recounting his mistakes at high school auditoriums and house arrest. I understand the victim's need to feel justice, but in 3-4 years it's not like she's going to be like "ok, we're fair and square now.

I'm sure doing this after serving time will be a little more impactful. Sorry but telling a bunch of high school kids not to drink and drive because you can kill a friend and end up on house arrest doesn't really teach accountability.

Here Come The Lame Jets

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Cory as a celebrity role model to youth would've been better sentenced to 4 years of recounting his mistakes at high school auditoriums and house arrest. I understand the victim's need to feel justice, but in 3-4 years it's not like she's going to be like "ok, we're fair and square now.
[close]

I'm sure doing this after serving time will be a little more impactful. Sorry but telling a bunch of high school kids not to drink and drive because you can kill a friend and end up on house arrest doesn't really teach accountability.

"They are making me come talk to you guys, so don't drink and drive or you might end up in the same situation!"
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

kentrock

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have an uncle that almost killed a little girl while he was drunk driving. That was in the mid 90s, that fucker hasn't changed. I had to move my car once after I had two beers and that made me feel bad.

i hope cory comes back the same person he was and prison doesn't fuck him up.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This so much. Teaching kids accountability is probably one of the biggest problems with the US. Too many parents who only care about being the "cool parent" instead of teaching their kids not to be little cunts. Too many single mothers trying to raise their kids on their own, having to work two or more jobs to feed and cloth their kids so they aren't around enough to raise them. Too many parents who have all the money in the world, so they just throw it at their kid instead of spending time with them. Too many fathers who knock a women up, then tuck their tail and run because they can't keep doing their hoodrat shit with their hoodrat friends.

I think these are issues the US needs to look at before any meaningful, lasting changes can be made to our society. Humans babies are born with compassion. But it seems that more often than not when parents aren't around (whether you're rich or poor) the sense of compassion eventually withers away.

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
I hope he stays strong and that time flies for him. Good luck Corey! x

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

the system is fucked.  he didnt say, hey, im going to kill p-stone tonight.  he had no intention it turning out how it went down.  i can see community service or something, but not prison.

what do you think the punishment for getting a dui should be?