Author Topic: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc  (Read 33697 times)

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
This stems from dudes cooment about saying Zion is the worst
Coz he is a Nike robot or something to that affect

Zion seems to love skateboarding good at he seems like a happy enough dude
I don’t think that u can really believe in this core shit ..

You’d have to be crazy to think that the majority of core pros from the 90’s would not of jumped
Through fucking hoops to be Gett paid by Nike addidas etc..

Imagine if Nike addidas talent scouts were down at emb in 90-95 waving contracts
At those crusty kids .. they would of thought getting corporate sponsorship was the biggest scam ever
Free shoes money from the brands they were already buying stealing hustling whatever..

And haha if u were a skater owned brand your riders probably stealing all ur product back than anyway for money
I would love to know what skaters would of said no to that shit..

Why is taking these companies money so bad exactly
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:00:44 AM by Nth syd bear »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:12 AM »
Skaters repeatedly said no to Nike, as they were obviously just trying to exploit skating’s image to sell shoes. I can remember 2 separate attempts where Nike tried to break into skateboarding and no one took them seriously. Skating had gone me through hard times, and was suspicious of anybody from the outside.

And once upon a time, people gave a shit about sweatshop labor, Nike had a terrible reputation in the 90’s.

Why is taking corporate money so bad? Because the vast majority of the money is made by shortchanging workers, especially in factories overseas. The ones that actually do the real work and make the shoes. (And this goes for pretty much most large shoe companies, Vans included). 

Your corporate salary is only available because someone else below you is getting ripped off.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:11:44 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Money Talks. Zion is far from the worst.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
I heard he's a Zionist.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
I heard he's a Zionist.

I think you’re Wright.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -478
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »

You’d have to be crazy to think that the majority of core pros from the 90’s would not of jumped

Imagine if Nike addidas talent scouts were down at emb in 90-95 waving contracts
At those crusty kids .. they would of thought getting corporate sponsorship was the biggest scam ever
Free shoes money from the brands they were already buying stealing hustling whatever..

And haha if u were a skater owned brand your riders probably stealing all ur product back than anyway for money

Taking the money isn’t bad. I just find it obvious Zion was groomed to be a “ great” skateboarder. I’m all about taking the money. There’s just something disengenous about Zion and his come up to me. Also his cheeks upset me. But thanks for making a thread about my opinions .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Skaters repeatedly said no to Nike, as they were obviously just trying to exploit skating’s image to sell shoes. I can remember 2 separate attempts where Nike tried to break into skateboarding and no one took them seriously. Skating had gone me through hard times, and was suspicious of anybody from the outside.

And once upon a time, people gave a shit about sweatshop labor, Nike had a terrible reputation in the 90’s.

Why is taking corporate money so bad? Because the vast majority of the money is made by shortchanging workers, especially in factories overseas. The ones that actually do the real work and make the shoes. (And this goes for pretty much most large shoe companies, Vans included). 

Your corporate salary is only available because someone else below you is getting ripped off.
that’s a fair comment about sweatshops .. I know Nike attempt at skating choad era was a joke but that was later.. I’m talking late 80’s early 90’s when people were already skating in them
Why the fuck would of someone like jovontae turner who was already apparently on 3 different teams
Without the other sponsors knowing take shoes money from Nike.
Do u think if puma had said to rick Howard we see you like skateboarding in our puma baskets here’s a big cheque and all the shoes clothes for you and your freinds family
Any maybe you can design your own puma one day.. ummm no thanks I’m waiting for two pairs of Ertnies a month and no money.. no thanks I don’t want to get paid so I can skate all day and not have to worry about bills.

Another way of looking at it and I might be unpopular for saying this
I buy Nike outside of skateboarding always have always will.

If skaters don’t buy Nike . Nike loses interest in skateboarding. Nike stops paying skateboarders
Smaller brands can’t afford to pay all the skaters. Skaters get jobs. Less skating is done.
Skateboarding suffers..

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:55:35 AM by Nth syd bear »

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
Imagine if Nike did what they did to hockey, to skateboarding. They bought Canstar in 1995 which was the parent company of Bauer hockey and just pretended it was still Bauer hockey until 2005 they got cocky and renamed it "Nike Bauer"..later they sold it in 2008 and it went back to Bauer Hockey.

That would be like if Nike bought Soletech? What would you guys say about that? The difference is Nike already has shoes for days and doesn't need to buy anyone out because they can just bully everyone out of competition.

ManMelt

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Taking the money isn’t bad. I just find it obvious Zion was groomed to be a “ great” skateboarder. I’m all about taking the money. There’s just something disengenous about Zion and his come up to me. Also his cheeks upset me. But thanks for making a thread about my opinions .

I’m not sure what being “groomed” to be a great skateboarder means? And how was his rise disengenous? To me it just seems like he got progressed quickly and has a ton of natural ability.

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Nike is the best company in terms of respecting workers ... It's been said enough times, they were not ok with this in 2005 maybe but now they are 100% good on this.

Seeing the quality of the shoes made by lakai,emerica,huf,supra,vans ( wearout super fast, lack of glue ) ... I guess they actually work with the cheap factories, which are using child labor.

You can downvote how much you want but you know it's the reality, people are skating nikes because of
1/ quality 2/ good marketing (team,videos etc)

Nahhhh Vans is definitely making shoes on par with sport brand quality these days

Even some g6 emericas I’ve skated have been just as good as Vans and sport brand vulcs

Last pair of shoes that were done before I got a hole in the sole were some Nike’s actually. Fauxing tape came unglued from the sole

Not to say that Nike, Adidas, NB aren’t making some great stuff. They are, but the quality isn’t really any better than Vans, or some of the better core shoes.

Fools just be getting tricked by the branding. Like you see Nike and you instantly assume quality, but you can find core shoes that are just as good

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oops um anyway if what Zion is being groomed to be good at skateboarding
Whatever that quite means I assume they did a good job coz he sure is good at skateboarding

Anyway sorry to turn your opinion into a thread it just made me think

That why some people so salty about Nike it just seems so fitting to me
I always loved Nike sneakers and skateboarding ..they pay sooooooooo many skateboarders
And make it possible to achieve so much awesome skateboarding.. I don’t know I kinda like it
Although as fast as the design of majority of  skate shoes both core and corporate is pretty bad to be fair.. I’d love to give it a crack,, I don’t think I could possibly dissapointment given the opportunity I would put my money where my mouth is on that and I am not a over confident person by any means but I do look at the majority of skate shoes and smh
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:29:19 AM by Nth syd bear »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
Just saw Neen’s Whole Foods commercial. Getting that Bezos flow.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »

because corporate brands are fair weather friends. the hypothetical situation at emb you described never happened because there wasn’t enough profit to be made off skateboarding at the time. they didn’t care enough to keep skateboarding alive when it was almost dead but they’ll gladly parasitize it when it’s fat.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
that’s a fair comment about sweatshops .. I know Nike attempt at skating choad era was a joke but that was later.. I’m talking late 80’s early 90’s when people were already skating in them
Why the fuck would of someone like jovontae turner who was already apparently on 3 different teams
Without the other sponsors knowing take shoes money from Nike.
Do u think if puma had said to rick Howard we see you like skateboarding in our puma baskets here’s a big cheque and all the shoes clothes for you and your freinds family
Any maybe you can design your own puma one day.. ummm no thanks I’m waiting for two pairs of Ertnies a month and no money.. no thanks I don’t want to get paid so I can skate all day and not have to worry about bills.

Another way of looking at it and I might be unpopular for saying this
I buy Nike outside of skateboarding always have always will.

If skaters don’t buy Nike . Nike loses interest in skateboarding. Nike stops paying skateboarders
Smaller brands can’t afford to pay all the skaters. Skaters get jobs. Less skating is done.
Skateboarding suffers..

smaller brands can't afford to pay skaters because everyone is buying nikes over their shoes. nike loses interest in skating = smaller brands aren't smaller anymore = can afford to pay skaters. plenty people were making bank off shoes before nike came along
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
I think another aspect to Nike hate is that they manufactured an artificial authenticity in skateboarding, and skateboarding largely fell for it.

Think about all the underrated and underappreciated skaters that work for years to build a scene. Then imagine some wealthy person newly interested in skating swoops in and throws money at some skaters they found out about. They make a fucking movie starring those ppl using dad's studio connections, then steal the spotlight as a "skater" or "skate rat". How would you, the skater who's been pushing the city for years, feel?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess it would be  easy for someone to pick what your saying apart but, really -I think your basically right.   Skateboarding is an art and the Zion dude gets no rewatches from me.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

The Dope

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

smaller brands can't afford to pay skaters because everyone is buying nikes over their shoes. nike loses interest in skating = smaller brands aren't smaller anymore = can afford to pay skaters. plenty people were making bank off shoes before nike came along

Vans had a monopoly on "made for skateboarding" shoes for decades and squandered it. They also notoriously dropped people when they got hurt in ways that would require significant recovery time. Instead, they put all that money in their pocket.

Because Vans didn't innovate, people wore court shoes made by sporting goods companies – see all the old photos of pros wearing Jordan 1s, Natas' Converse Dr. J's, Mike V's Adidas Patrick Ewings, etc. Eventually other skate brands like Vision Street Wear and Etnies came into existence and proved there was an unserved market.

(for clarification, I'm an old who is genuinely asking)

Which "core" shoe brands are independently owned these days? Not Vans (DVF Outdoors), not Lakai (Altamont Capital), not Supra (K-Swiss), Straye? Filament? Globe?
Which independent, skater-owned "core" shoes do you wear?

Diane Von Furstenburg is definitely not interested in taking a loss in order to be around when the skateboarding fad dies again, I know that much for sure.

Sole Tech?? aka Etnies, eS, Emerica? I love my accel slims, even chris cole is wearing them now.

https://www.soletechnology.com/Pages/company-about-timeline.aspx

The Dope

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Vans had a monopoly on "made for skateboarding" shoes for decades and squandered it. They also notoriously dropped people when they got hurt in ways that would require significant recovery time. Instead, they put all that money in their pocket.

Because Vans didn't innovate, people wore court shoes made by sporting goods companies – see all the old photos of pros wearing Jordan 1s, Natas' Converse Dr. J's, Mike V's Adidas Patrick Ewings, etc. Eventually other skate brands like Vision Street Wear and Etnies came into existence and proved there was an unserved market.

(for clarification, I'm an old who is genuinely asking)

Which "core" shoe brands are independently owned these days? Not Vans (DVF Outdoors), not Lakai (Altamont Capital), not Supra (K-Swiss), Straye? Filament? Globe?
Which independent, skater-owned "core" shoes do you wear?

Diane Von Furstenburg is definitely not interested in taking a loss in order to be around when the skateboarding fad dies again, I know that much for sure.
[close]

Sole Tech?? aka Etnies, eS, Emerica? I love my accel slims, even chris cole is wearing them now.

https://www.soletechnology.com/Pages/company-about-timeline.aspx

Quote from the link.

Unsure of how his etnies America licensing agreement will be affected, Pierre launches Emerica, short for etnies America. All etnies shoes sold in Fall 1995 are shipped as Emerica shoes in Spring 1996.

Emerica is recognized as a more raw, simple and straight-ahead skate shoe brand than etnies.

Rautureau Apple puts the etnies brand up for sale. Nike, among others, expresses interest, but Pierre gains the full rights.

The etnies Surf team is launched.

Pierre creates Sole Technology, Inc. to be the parent company of the etnies, éS, Emerica and ThirtyTwo brands.

Sole Technology is named Rookie Manufacturer of the Year by Action Sports Retailer magazine.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
Fuck Steve Berra

IHOP

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 01:55:48 PM »
Skateboarding existed without shoes made specifically for skateboarding for a very long time, and if all the shoe companies go out of business, people will still skate.

Is buying shoes from a company that exploits skaters that you don't know better than buying shoes from a company that exploits factory workers you don't know? BTW, both kinds of companies exploit the factory worker. Free markets are no place for morality.

I would almost argue core shoe companies exploit a skater more, low pay and no real benefits or compensation other than "keeping it core" or for the love.  when nike exploits you they pay you enough to put some money in the bank not just scrape by.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
"Let's be honest"

Translation:

"Here's a highly contested opinion that i'd like to present as truth"

IHOP

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »

How did neen become the sober/health food guy in skating when theres reynolds and kenny anderson and countless other outspoken healthy lifestyle skateboarders.  Neen never interested me and his new schtick interests me even less.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How did neen become the sober/health food guy in skating when theres reynolds and kenny anderson and countless other outspoken healthy lifestyle skateboarders.  Neen never interested me and his new schtick interests me even less.

Spenny's probably my pick for that title, mostly because he smokes.

The Dope

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Marketing 101, Neen is easy as hell to market plain and simple

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
Nike's marketing is terrible, you can tell it's thought by people who have never skated.
Remember the ad that went like Alex Olson skates every damn day, then a week after it came out dude said in an interview that he hadn't skated in 6 or 7 months (after filming for Fully Flared, right when he got on the swoosh)? Haha.
I started skating because skateboarding was not football or hockey or tennis or anything like that and they're trying to make it like that. Skate when you want to go for a skate, on a curb, in a skatepark, anywhere, how you want to, not when it's training time with your coach and your team. Kids using that silly Skate Every Damn Day hashtag on every single Insta post... I find it kinda stupid. They fall for the corniest, most unreal shit and don't even think about it. Oh well.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
I don't like the swossh logo because it's old and boring and on fucking everything, I'm sick of looking at it and I don't speak Grecian so the word itself bugs me

cloudy

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
Nike's marketing is terrible, you can tell it's thought by people who have never skated.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it says previously nike so of

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2018, 02:38:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

it also says currently nike.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

it also says currently nike.

well which is it