Author Topic: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc  (Read 33684 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Just saw Neen’s Whole Foods commercial. Getting that Bezos flow.
[close]

How did neen become the sober/health food guy in skating when theres reynolds and kenny anderson and countless other outspoken healthy lifestyle skateboarders.  Neen never interested me and his new schtick interests me even less.

They had a biggest heelflip contest for the title of "Sober/health food guy in skating."

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How did neen become the sober/health food guy in skating when theres reynolds and kenny anderson and countless other outspoken healthy lifestyle skateboarders.  Neen never interested me and his new schtick interests me even less.
[close]

They had a biggest heelflip contest for the title of "Sober/health food guy in skating."

So Neen obviously won that.

In reality, he put that shit out there and used his social media presence to arrange bigger and bigger endorsement deals. Dude has a youtube channel about eating well by making your own food along with other general health and nutritional information. Also, he has mostly avoided the nutritional BS that a lot of his YT food and fitness competitors peddle on the regular. That takes initiative, follow through and due diligence and helps make him someone who has a take people respect. That's influence that corporations wanna capitalize on.

On another note, Hey Rattray...put the goddam trick on the ads please. I'm tired of guessing what the skaters you guys are featuring might be doing. "Well I mean I guess it kinds looks like a kickflip?"
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Pigeon

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Marketing 101, Neen is easy as hell to market plain and simple
His dreads make him look like he prefers organic produce.

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
This stems from dudes cooment about saying Zion is the worst
Coz he is a Nike robot or something to that affect

Zion seems to love skateboarding good at he seems like a happy enough dude
I don’t think that u can really believe in this core shit ..

You’d have to be crazy to think that the majority of core pros from the 90’s would not of jumped
Through fucking hoops to be Gett paid by Nike addidas etc..

Imagine if Nike addidas talent scouts were down at emb in 90-95 waving contracts
At those crusty kids .. they would of thought getting corporate sponsorship was the biggest scam ever
Free shoes money from the brands they were already buying stealing hustling whatever..

And haha if u were a skater owned brand your riders probably stealing all ur product back than anyway for money
I would love to know what skaters would of said no to that shit..

Why is taking these companies money so bad exactly

Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skaters repeatedly said no to Nike, as they were obviously just trying to exploit skating’s image to sell shoes. I can remember 2 separate attempts where Nike tried to break into skateboarding and no one took them seriously. Skating had gone me through hard times, and was suspicious of anybody from the outside.

And once upon a time, people gave a shit about sweatshop labor, Nike had a terrible reputation in the 90’s.

Why is taking corporate money so bad? Because the vast majority of the money is made by shortchanging workers, especially in factories overseas. The ones that actually do the real work and make the shoes. (And this goes for pretty much most large shoe companies, Vans included). 

Your corporate salary is only available because someone else below you is getting ripped off.
[close]
that’s a fair comment about sweatshops .. I know Nike attempt at skating choad era was a joke but that was later.. I’m talking late 80’s early 90’s when people were already skating in them
Why the fuck would of someone like jovontae turner who was already apparently on 3 different teams
Without the other sponsors knowing take shoes money from Nike.
Do u think if puma had said to rick Howard we see you like skateboarding in our puma baskets here’s a big cheque and all the shoes clothes for you and your freinds family
Any maybe you can design your own puma one day.. ummm no thanks I’m waiting for two pairs of Ertnies a month and no money.. no thanks I don’t want to get paid so I can skate all day and not have to worry about bills.

Another way of looking at it and I might be unpopular for saying this
I buy Nike outside of skateboarding always have always will.

If skaters don’t buy Nike . Nike loses interest in skateboarding. Nike stops paying skateboarders
Smaller brands can’t afford to pay all the skaters. Skaters get jobs. Less skating is done.
Skateboarding suffers..
[close]

smaller brands can't afford to pay skaters because everyone is buying nikes over their shoes. nike loses interest in skating = smaller brands aren't smaller anymore = can afford to pay skaters. plenty people were making bank off shoes before nike came along

From what I understand, this is what happened when Nike tried to break into surfing. All of a sudden they were paying out what others couldn’t, ideas of what a paycheck should be changed, companies downsized, and then after fucking it up Nike pulled the plug and left.

Nike also pulled out of snowboarding when it wasn’t profitable ‘enough’ so don’t kid yourselves that Nike gives a shit about anything other than exploiting our scene.

As for the ‘Nike treats it’s workers great’ comment, they still use Bangladesh, which 1- is the bottom of the fucking barrel as far as workers rights are concerned, and 2- I don’t know of any other skate shoe companies over there.

As a bare minimum I make sure none of my stuff is made there, I don’t know about every company, but I can’t think of anywhere else. Non-skate Vans maybe?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

tobal

• Rep: -12
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
I think Nike is here to stay.
 And this :
« For those who want to knock Nike, skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. But we didn’t do it. So you can’t be mad at a brand that comes in with an elevated sense of how professional skateboarders should be treated. » Kelly Bird.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
To which I say bullshit. He is comparing sports with massive, massive fan bases that can support over-inflated salaries.

Skateboarding was traditionally like 3rd tier baseball leagues, and had probably similar incomes.

And to make skateboarding palatable for the masses, you had to create circus events and street league.

You could say corporate influence has allowed a few select skaters to do well, but at the expense of the culture of expression. The corporations will dictate what you can and can’t express.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:01:19 PM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike's marketing is terrible, you can tell it's thought by people who have never skated.
[close]

[close]

it says previously nike so of
[close]

it also says currently nike.
[close]

well which is it

I'm going to bet he's at Nike still. When I moved roles within my company, my LinkedIn did the same thing.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:58 PM »
Cucktard is fucking killing it in this thread
 And this :
« For those who want to knock Nike, skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. But we didn’t do it. So you can’t be mad at a brand that comes in with an elevated sense of how professional skateboarders should be treated. » Kelly Bird.
Then all the pros cry when the company that knows how “to treat these dudes like professionals” ditches a pro for his Nazi connections. Go corporate, live by their rules. Unless you’re Daryl Angel.

Also, they may not pay the same today, but I’m pretty sure guys like Muska, Koston, and plenty of others did pretty damned well on their independent shoe deals.

And I get the Zion hate, but I’m coming around on him. It takes much more than just a trainer to be able to do shit like perfect ollie 540’s on tiny quarterpipes. He obviously loses points for the red bull hat
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

bo bice

• Rep: 76
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »
 And this :
« For those who want to knock Nike, skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. But we didn’t do it. So you can’t be mad at a brand that comes in with an elevated sense of how professional skateboarders should be treated. a corporate budget that literally dwarfs all other skate shoe companies combined» Kelly
Bird.

Yeah cuz Rickk and Mike are keepin the millions to themselves

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
Skateboarding existed without shoes made specifically for skateboarding for a very long time, and if all the shoe companies go out of business, people will still skate.

Is buying shoes from a company that exploits skaters that you don't know better than buying shoes from a company that exploits factory workers you don't know? BTW, both kinds of companies exploit the factory worker. Free markets are no place for morality.

Interesting.
So Nike having so completely and successfully embraced free market values is thereby deeply immoral, and it might be assumed that smaller, less economically successful companies are less successfully immoral.
That's what you meant, right?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Also, Kelly Bird is full of shit.
Baseball had over a fucking century and a half AT MINIMUM to get to the point it had an organization and professional teams.

Saying skateboarding only had 30, and that’s not fast enough to be as big is definitely corporate American thinking.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »

You’d have to be crazy to think that the majority of core pros from the 90’s would not of jumped

Imagine if Nike addidas talent scouts were down at emb in 90-95 waving contracts
At those crusty kids .. they would of thought getting corporate sponsorship was the biggest scam ever
Free shoes money from the brands they were already buying stealing hustling whatever..

And haha if u were a skater owned brand your riders probably stealing all ur product back than anyway for money

"Not of" . what the fuck is that? Is that some sort of meme or do people actually think it's that instead of the contraction 've?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Skaters repeatedly said no to Nike, as they were obviously just trying to exploit skating’s image to sell shoes. I can remember 2 separate attempts where Nike tried to break into skateboarding and no one took them seriously. Skating had gone me through hard times, and was suspicious of anybody from the outside.

And once upon a time, people gave a shit about sweatshop labor, Nike had a terrible reputation in the 90’s.

Why is taking corporate money so bad? Because the vast majority of the money is made by shortchanging workers, especially in factories overseas. The ones that actually do the real work and make the shoes. (And this goes for pretty much most large shoe companies, Vans included). 

Your corporate salary is only available because someone else below you is getting ripped off.
Every shoe sold for skateboarding is working with some shady shit overseas. The only company in skateboarding that actually makes a product in the United States is New Balance, who to the best of my knowledge do not make their state line here. Do you honestly think Sole Tech and Lakai work with places that have better reputations than the Nike factories and can produce a cheaper product?

Nike due to what happened to their reputation due to sweatshops actually became much more stringent on who they did business with.

Look, I'm fine with people saying they don't like the idea of shareholders and people like Phil Knight getting rich off of buying NikeSB product. But, don't try to frame it as a morality issue regarding the treatment of third world workers. Hell, fucking Crailtap abandoned a using a company like PS Stix to make cheaper boards, and I'm supposed to trust what they do with Lakai? Dwindle under Globe sent their production to China too.

You want to bitch about morality in using outsource Labor, go buy a pair of these New Balances you think are skatable.

https://www.newbalance.com/made-in-the-usa/

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:42:23 PM by DannyDee »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Every shoe sold for skateboarding is working with some shady shit overseas. The only company in skateboarding that actually makes a product in the United States is New Balance, who to the best of my knowledge do not make their state line here. Do you honestly think Sole Tech and Lakai work with places that have better reputations than the Nike factories and can produce a cheaper product?

Nike due to what happened to their reputation due to sweatshops actually became much more stringent on who they did business with.

Look, I'm fine with people saying they don't like the idea of shareholders and people like Phil Knight getting rich off of buying NikeSB product. But, don't try to frame it as a morality issue regarding the treatment of third world workers. Hell, fucking Crailtap abandoned a using a company like PS Stix to make cheaper boards, and I'm supposed to trust what they do with Lakai? Dwindle under Globe sent their production to China too.

You want to bitch about morality in using outsource Labor, go buy a pair of these New Balances you think are skatable.

If an ethical skate shoe exists, I would wear it.

In the 90’s, DC approaches the Beastie Boys with some shoes, but they refused to wear them until they did some research, and found out that DC’s Korean factory was in fact fairly progressive, with paid holidays and transport to work and back, and the subsequently wore the shoes for a bit.

I suspect that ended as they got bigger, and got bought out by quicksilver or whiever.

There are levels of shittiness, and you are correct, ALL shoe companies use sweatshops. That is an unfortunate and predictable effect of capitalism. But it IS LED by companies LIKE NIKE who, for the sake of astronomical profits, take their manufacturering out of the US to countries with almost zero labor standards.

And of course, who can compete with that? Everyone else is pulled down in an effort to compete. And it becomes a race, and now you have Nike timing workers to hundredths of a second to see how fast they can make shoes. And the only way the pretend to stop, is if someone makes a big enough stink.

Nike is too big, to entrenched, too beholden to its shareholders demand for rising profits to do anything else, don’t fucking kid yourselves that they are anything but.

So to summarize, yes, all shoe companies are complicit in exploitation  to varying degrees.
But NIKE leads the way by miles.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:59:37 PM by cucktard »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
Look at the way Crailtap is treating Cory Kennedy versus nike. That says enough right there. If nike could have its way, skateboarding would be turned into a stadium sport like football or baseball where anyone outside of college or the pros would be completely marginalized, and it would be completely controlled by leagues and large corporations. The way skating is now, skaters are still in control of their own destiny.

"Businesses are immoral." Then you could justify pretty much anything they do, right? Why care about workers' rights, or sweatshops, or unions, or fair pay, or anything like that? Looking at things through this lens, it doesn't matter what businesses do because it's in their nature to exploit. I urge you guys to never complain about not getting paid enough or not having insurance or anything like that since that's just business. Yet, you're arguing these companies are better because they treat their riders better. So, on one hand you're arguing that all businesses are immoral, but on the other you're presenting a moral argument that people who skate for nike get treated better. Which is it? Are you saying we shouldn't care about how amoral capitalism is, since that is in its nature, but we should care about which businesses treat their workers better? Sounds like moralizing to me.

Skateboarding is not a business but the businesses that have a hand in the scene have an affect on skateboarding and could turn it into something pretty shitty if you get complacent about it. It's already getting pretty kooky judging by the ethos, stupidity and self-centeredness of a lot of the new influx of skaters who are only doing it because it's the hot shit right now. You guys are also fair weather friends who would turn your backs as quickly as nike will when it starts raining.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2018, 07:10:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If an ethical skate shoe exists, I would wear it.

In the 90’s, DC approaches the Beastie Boys with some shoes, but they refused to wear them until they did some research, and found out that DC’s Korean factory was in fact fairly progressive, with paid holidays and transport to work and back, and the subsequently wore the shoes for a bit.

I suspect that ended as they got bigger, and got bought out by quicksilver or whiever.

There are levels of shittiness, and you are correct, ALL shoe companies use sweatshops. That is an unfortunate and predictable effect of capitalism. But it IS LED by companies LIKE NIKE who, for the sake of astronomical profits, take their manufacturering out of the US to countries with almost zero labor standards.

And of course, who can compete with that? Everyone else is pulled down in an effort to compete. And it becomes a race, and now you have Nike timing workers to hundredths of a second to see how fast they can make shoes. And the only way the pretend to stop, is if someone makes a big enough stink.

Nike is too big, to entrenched, too beholden to its shareholders demand for rising profits to do anything else, don’t fucking kid yourselves that they are anything but.

So to summarize, yes, all shoe companies are complicit in exploitation  to varying degrees.
But NIKE leads the way by miles.
Nike doesn't lead the way by miles. If you are talking about the 1990's, yes, they did. But, due to public backlash, they have fixed their practices to a large extent. I remember Vanity Fair, the group that owned Vans scored significantly worse with monitoring agents.

Following protests in the late 1990s over unsafe working conditions, low wage rates, excessive overtime, restrictions on employee organizing, and negative environmental impacts, Nike began shifting from a reactive to a proactive mode. During the 15 years covered in this case, Nike made significant changes in its sustainability practices, including moving its Corporate Responsibility team much further upstream in the organization, where it could have a greater impact on decisions by providing input early in the process.

The company also developed multiple indexes that measured its sustainability practices and those of its independent contract manufacturers. The indexes had metrics for measuring the relevant impacts of product waste, water, chemistry, labor, and energy. Nike’s critics said many labor issues had not been resolved, but Nike made progress in that area through collaboration with governments, NGOs and labor unions, and through management compliance trainings. If a contract factory did not score high enough on the company’s sustainability and labor ratings scales, Nike would impose sanctions on the factory or even drop it from the supply chain. These actions took Nike off the top of most activists’ target lists.

Now, allegations have resurfaced, but its more due to them being the biggest game in town. Oversight will rarely be perfect.

If you want more ethical companies in skateboarding, the best company to probably put your money into is New Balance. But, due to the durability of skate shoes, and the cost of first world manufacturing, I doubt we will see it anytime soon on a large scale. People simply won't pay those prices for the NB shoes I posted due to the fact they can't justify paying $170 bucks that often on skateshoes.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2018, 07:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Not of" . what the fuck is that? Is that some sort of meme or do people actually think it's that instead of the contraction 've?
haha your attempt to correct my poor grammar has left me puzzled 😕
I’m sorry my poor use of the English language seems seems to have offended you and I do apologise

Back to Nike I appreciate the replies to me there is no right
Or wrong answers sometimes it seems the fuck Nike attitude seems to have misdirected hate
Like... fuck Nike... grrrr they tried it sucked.... more money... they’ll leave if skateboarding isn’t popular..

Big deal guess what skater owned brands leave skateboarding when
Skateboardings popularity dies down. They go out of business

Nike Sb program has been going quite sometime now.. You see people forget Nike exsists with or without skateboarding..  so if Sb was loosing money why would they keep it afloat forever

On a side note if I’m a put on a pair of non skate shoes today
I honestly don’t think I own anything that isn’t Nike addidas or Reebok and I got quite a lot of sneakers..

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
to be one of the largest and most valuable companies this planet has ever seen you gotta be willing to be cut throat. if you are not willing to be cut throat then you'll forever be a broke boy and in effect result to hoeboy behavior towards boys who were willing to be cut throat. the choice is yours

KingKook

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
I want a top shelf shoe for $70.
I dont care where the rubber comes from.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
Look at the way Crailtap is treating Cory Kennedy versus nike. That says enough right there. If nike could have its way, skateboarding would be turned into a stadium sport like football or baseball where anyone outside of college or the pros would be completely marginalized, and it would be completely controlled by leagues and large corporations. The way skating is now, skaters are still in control of their own destiny.

"Businesses are immoral." Then you could justify pretty much anything they do, right? Why care about workers' rights, or sweatshops, or unions, or fair pay, or anything like that? Looking at things through this lens, it doesn't matter what businesses do because it's in their nature to exploit. I urge you guys to never complain about not getting paid enough or not having insurance or anything like that since that's just business. Yet, you're arguing these companies are better because they treat their riders better. So, on one hand you're arguing that all businesses are immoral, but on the other you're presenting a moral argument that people who skate for nike get treated better. Which is it? Are you saying we shouldn't care about how amoral capitalism is, since that is in its nature, but we should care about which businesses treat their workers better? Sounds like moralizing to me.

Skateboarding is not a business but the businesses that have a hand in the scene have an affect on skateboarding and could turn it into something pretty shitty if you get complacent about it. It's already getting pretty kooky judging by the ethos, stupidity and self-centeredness of a lot of the new influx of skaters who are only doing it because it's the hot shit right now. You guys are also fair weather friends who would turn your backs as quickly as nike will when it starts raining.
When was the last time Nike asked a dude they couldn't live up to their end of a contract on, to stay until his shoe dropped for that season? Crailtap did that to Marc Johnson, then lambasted him on the way out because he didn't turn down an opportunity so they could get one last payoff. When did Nike fuck over two long-time friends by selling a brand without consulting them and not paying them for what they were led to believe they had ownership in (Koston and Guy).

Look, I like that Crailtap is keeping Cory on. But, also don't act like they are equal situations. Cory's Nike salary is much bigger than simple board royalties from Crailtap. Cory violated a contract and simply can't perform his job. Big difference in the obligation to pay someone a 6 figure salary, then simply 2 dollar with each board you sell with their name.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
nike pulled out of surfing and snowboarding when they weren't profitable because they're a shoe company.
who the fuck wears nikes in the ocean? or in their bindings?
sad to say for skate owned shoe companies but nike will never find it unprofitable to sell skaters shoes as long as you titheads keep buying them.
i don't like any multinationals but adidas did tell isreal to shit in their hat and wear it so for that i respect them.
i only wish puma would do the same.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
When was the last time Nike asked a dude they couldn't live up to their end of a contract on, to stay until his shoe dropped for that season? Crailtap did that to Marc Johnson, then lambasted him on the way out because he didn't turn down an opportunity so they could get one last payoff. When did Nike fuck over two long-time friends by selling a brand without consulting them and not paying them for what they were led to believe they had ownership in (Koston and Guy).

Look, I like that Crailtap is keeping Cory on. But, also don't act like they are equal situations. Cory's Nike salary is much bigger than simple board royalties from Crailtap. Cory violated a contract and simply can't perform his job. Big difference in the obligation to pay someone a 6 figure salary, then simply 2 dollar with each board you sell with their name.

How do you know what his contract situation is with the two companies? How is he breaking his nike contract but not his Crailtap contract? So, are you saying Crailtap doesn't care Cory is breaking his contract with them, or that the Crailtap contract is somehow more lenient? If that's the case, can't Nike also just not care, or maybe write him a new contract? I don't see what's stopping nike from continuing to sell his shoes the way Crailtap is continuing to sell his boards.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
I wonder if there is a golf forum with overweight salty old white men complaining
About what Nike and other corporate brands are doing to there “core” brands

I only golf in callaways bro....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:32:18 PM by Nth syd bear »

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »
Golfers don't care about stuff like this. They just want to wear tight pants and neon polos and do corny arm pumps when they sink a putt.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
Golfers don't care about stuff like this. They just want to wear tight pants and neon polos and do corny arm pumps when they sink a putt.

Haha the imagery of that comment made me chuckle

So maybe skateboarders are a bit too emotionally invested in this shit than??
Perhaps

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How do you know what his contract situation is with the two companies? How is he breaking his nike contract but not his Crailtap contract? So, are you saying Crailtap doesn't care Cory is breaking his contract with them, or that the Crailtap contract is somehow more lenient? If that's the case, can't Nike also just not care, or maybe write him a new contract? I don't see what's stopping nike from continuing to sell his shoes the way Crailtap is continuing to sell his boards.
Well for one Crailtap doesn't have contracts on boards. But, Nike could, but he simply can't fufill his contract, and I don't blame any company for wanting out of a deal, where a guy can't live up to his contract due to an illegal act committed.

I just find it funny the irony in saying crailtap supports Cory, then ignoring the unreasonable ask of Crailtap to MJ, who was huge in building that brand, then also ignoring how they fucked over Guy and Koston in the sale to Altamont.

Personally, I'd rather work for the company that would fire me for getting convicted of drunk driving and am unable to fulfill my contract. Compared to working for a brand that would constantly reduce my pay without notice, and then when they realized it wasn't going to work, asked me to stay on under the guise of friendship so they can make bank off of inventory that would be dead (which they ordered to be made) but can't pay. Or, a company that led me to believe I had ownership in things, and then when the company was sold, weren't able to pay me out.

ballintoohard

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Every time I see Neen I think it's Fred Armisen filming a Portlandia sketch about Whole Foods.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha the imagery of that comment made me chuckle

So maybe skateboarders are a bit too emotionally invested in this shit than??
Perhaps
Deep emotions for our shared passion losing it's innocence

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house