Author Topic: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc  (Read 33712 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Koston said things went wrong but in what way? How do you know he got fucked over? There are no details other than he wasn’t happy with the situation. What if it’s because the other guys wanted an even split but he thought he deserved more than them? How do you know it was Mike and Rick doing the fucking and not the other way around?

I don’t idealize any company but there are are ones whose influence I think is better for skating.
[close]
I do not know every specific detail, but it doesn't sound like they got paid off well at all. How do you explain the MJ situation though. We have both accounts on that one, and in my eyes Crailtap is way more in the wrong than the right there. They had a completely unreasonable ask of MJ and then expected him to hold up that bargain, because they were desperate to unload his shoes but couldn't pay him. I'd say what was asked of MJ is worse than Nike dropping a guy who got a 4 year jail sentence. I grew up on and loved Crailtap videos, and Cory is one of my favorite current skaters, but that doesn't make me oblivious. I don't blame a company for wanting out of selling a guy who just got sentenced to jail for a significant period of times contract, and I don't think a board brand and shoe brand are really all that comparable. I'm curious if we'd see that same loyalty if they had a monthly minimums deal with him on Lakai.

I just don't get why you give companies a pass where riders have been wronged by other skaters, or how companies wronged this community by your standards get a pass. Look, Nike is a corporation and they aren't great. But, I haven't heard of them fucking over anyone who rides them on their contracts. They may have morality clauses that gives them outs, but that is pretty understandable. Do you think guys like Jamie Thomas, Pierre André Senizergues, Tim Gavin, and Rick Howard cared all that much when they were cashing checks from Zumiez at the expense of local shops. No, they only ranted about "core interests" once the corporate giant started fucking over their bottom lines.
[close]

MJ was not imposed upon in any way. He didn't have to go to Adidas immediately. He could've stuck around a bit longer at a company who sponsored him for that long. As for the "core" companies you mentioned, there was no reason for these people to rant about "core interests." (Is that a real quote. Who said it? Why is it in quotes?) The dichotomy didn't even exist until nike and the others entered the picture. You can't rant about something that doesn't exist yet.

On a side note: It's crazy that skateboarders came up with a pejorative - "core" - for their own scene. That's pretty fucked up. But people will do anything to justify selling out, including smear campaigns and treachery and rewriting history.
[close]
If Lakai isn't paying you, and someone is willing to pay you that week? Who knows when the offer from Adidas would disappear, they may have wanted him for the premier, and then if he turned them down went to the next person on the list. There was a deadline on that video.

These companies, that now cry about big corporations killing them, were helping kill off the DIY or stick to your own community standards you seem to value dearly by selling heavily to corporate accounts with their products. Do you think selling in bulk to mall shops which happened before Nike entered the picture was good? That was fucking over skaters by selling to corporate interests. Nike got into skateshops because shops were feeling the crunch caused by this, and early on Nike offered exclusivity, and was very selective in accounts in regards proximity.
[close]

Skate shops started disappearing mostly because of online ordering. Anyway, you’re getting me all wrong. I don’t expect businesses to not act like businesses and I’m not trying to pick the lesser of two evils, which seems to be the gist of your guys’ argument when you’re not talking about how all businesses are immoral. I don’t care about morals. I care about skateboarding and supporting the businesses that will leave it in the best shape possible in the future and give skaters the most sovereignty. There’s no way a company like nike isn’t going to try to dictate how things should be done. Skateboarding is not a business. So businesses and their amorality don’t matter to skateboarding. No one is owed a living because they can skate well and that’s always been the understanding until recently when skaters started treating it like a business and a pro sport and feeling entitled to shit.
[close]
I'd would like to think that the pros and skaters I love watching are getting properly compensated. And, you hear way too much about shady shit going on before Nike caused the decline of brands because of their business model. You hear bad shit about Circa, which led to Jamie moving on and starting Fallen.

While Nike is a bit like dealing with the devil, and they have done shops dirty in recent years (and what converse is implementing in Canada is scary). But, I do think aspects of NikeSB bring in money that otherwise wouldn't enter the skate industry. Through the hypebeast aspect of NikeSB shoes and people who never skate buying them. If that helps pay guys who are in their 40's good money such as BA, Lance, Koston, or sponsoring lesser known kids on smaller to help them make good money such as the Polar or 917 guys they pay, I'd think that's a good thing.

I respect your idealism. I just think that is probably impossible to implement or have last. So, I'll enjoy guys getting hooked up and able to make a great living, and produce footage. That happened before, but even if skateboarding was left uninvaded, I think exactly what you fear would of just happened. Podium or Sole Tech would just be our Nike, with significant influence.

I don’t think I’m being idealistic. That would mean there’s an inevitable path skateboarding must go down, which to certain people means a stadium or arena sport ruled by leagues and corporations. This outcome is not a foregone conclusion. As long as skaters are in control, skating is whatever we want it to be. What I am is not completely cynical. That is the ultimate old dude attitude.

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
There is no doubt that corp companies were a short term gain for shops and some people in the industry. I've heard shop owners from around the world say, "The NikeSB craze saved my shop." The question is was this the best solution or the easiest solution? What did we do to skateboarding as a whole by bringing these companies in?

Shit, I'd argue temporarily (and possibly just for show) some of the big companies were more skate companies than our so called "core" companies. This is true of the board companies and the shoe companies. In the early 2000s, Bod Doyle was on some big anti-shop board crusade (I'm pretty certain Jamie Thomas was part of this crusade as well). My thought as a buyer--who had to worry about the bottom line and how to pay for the skaters that the shop sponsored--was "Fuck you. I won't sell blanks, but we need our shop boards. We actually make money on our shop boards and the kids can't just go buy it online from someone else. Why the fuck should I pay $37 for a pro board and then sell it for $40 when I can buy a shop board for $17 and sell it for $30 or $35? I want to support the companies, but maybe you can support the shops?"

When Pierre had his article in the LA Times bragging about his yacht I lost a ton of respect for Sole Tech, especially when it was rumored that he wouldn't invest a dime of his own money into the company. When it was rumored the chief was remodeling his beach front house while the dudes on the team slept in the warehouse I lost what tiny shred of respect I had left for Blackbox (I can't bring myself to throw away my KCDC/Zero co-lab board, but I have no intention on hanging it up ever again). We didn't just get suckered by Nike and Adidas, we were looking for new companies to support the scene because the old core companies weren't doing it.

Today, I can't think of single shoe company that I want to give my money to. I hate all of them. The big companies are using us to increase their stock price and the "core" companies are pumping out trash.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:08:46 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »

Today, I can't think of single shoe company that I want to give my money to. I hate all of them. The big companies are using us to increase their stock price and the "core" companies are pumping out trash.

I have never understood all this "core companies are pumping out trash" bunch of bs. I've been skating and wearing  'core' skate shoes for over 30 years, and I've only ever had a couple pairs that had a legitimate issue or were uncomfortable. A couple pairs amongst hundreds. The Nikes I currently have and the Converse I had a couple years ago did/do not feel one iota better, in fact, the Converse were floppy pieces of shit that I had to stop skating right away because they had no support. Those are made by Nike, correct?

I see skaters with thrashed Nikes that are falling apart just the same as thrashed Huf's etc... people jocking the corpo sports brands have just been fooled by marketing and peer pressure. Ain't no better.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Koston said things went wrong but in what way? How do you know he got fucked over? There are no details other than he wasn’t happy with the situation. What if it’s because the other guys wanted an even split but he thought he deserved more than them? How do you know it was Mike and Rick doing the fucking and not the other way around?

I don’t idealize any company but there are are ones whose influence I think is better for skating.
[close]
I do not know every specific detail, but it doesn't sound like they got paid off well at all. How do you explain the MJ situation though. We have both accounts on that one, and in my eyes Crailtap is way more in the wrong than the right there. They had a completely unreasonable ask of MJ and then expected him to hold up that bargain, because they were desperate to unload his shoes but couldn't pay him. I'd say what was asked of MJ is worse than Nike dropping a guy who got a 4 year jail sentence. I grew up on and loved Crailtap videos, and Cory is one of my favorite current skaters, but that doesn't make me oblivious. I don't blame a company for wanting out of selling a guy who just got sentenced to jail for a significant period of times contract, and I don't think a board brand and shoe brand are really all that comparable. I'm curious if we'd see that same loyalty if they had a monthly minimums deal with him on Lakai.

I just don't get why you give companies a pass where riders have been wronged by other skaters, or how companies wronged this community by your standards get a pass. Look, Nike is a corporation and they aren't great. But, I haven't heard of them fucking over anyone who rides them on their contracts. They may have morality clauses that gives them outs, but that is pretty understandable. Do you think guys like Jamie Thomas, Pierre André Senizergues, Tim Gavin, and Rick Howard cared all that much when they were cashing checks from Zumiez at the expense of local shops. No, they only ranted about "core interests" once the corporate giant started fucking over their bottom lines.
[close]

MJ was not imposed upon in any way. He didn't have to go to Adidas immediately. He could've stuck around a bit longer at a company who sponsored him for that long. As for the "core" companies you mentioned, there was no reason for these people to rant about "core interests." (Is that a real quote. Who said it? Why is it in quotes?) The dichotomy didn't even exist until nike and the others entered the picture. You can't rant about something that doesn't exist yet.

On a side note: It's crazy that skateboarders came up with a pejorative - "core" - for their own scene. That's pretty fucked up. But people will do anything to justify selling out, including smear campaigns and treachery and rewriting history.
[close]
If Lakai isn't paying you, and someone is willing to pay you that week? Who knows when the offer from Adidas would disappear, they may have wanted him for the premier, and then if he turned them down went to the next person on the list. There was a deadline on that video.

These companies, that now cry about big corporations killing them, were helping kill off the DIY or stick to your own community standards you seem to value dearly by selling heavily to corporate accounts with their products. Do you think selling in bulk to mall shops which happened before Nike entered the picture was good? That was fucking over skaters by selling to corporate interests. Nike got into skateshops because shops were feeling the crunch caused by this, and early on Nike offered exclusivity, and was very selective in accounts in regards proximity.
[close]

Skate shops started disappearing mostly because of online ordering. Anyway, you’re getting me all wrong. I don’t expect businesses to not act like businesses and I’m not trying to pick the lesser of two evils, which seems to be the gist of your guys’ argument when you’re not talking about how all businesses are immoral. I don’t care about morals. I care about skateboarding and supporting the businesses that will leave it in the best shape possible in the future and give skaters the most sovereignty. There’s no way a company like nike isn’t going to try to dictate how things should be done. Skateboarding is not a business. So businesses and their amorality don’t matter to skateboarding. No one is owed a living because they can skate well and that’s always been the understanding until recently when skaters started treating it like a business and a pro sport and feeling entitled to shit.
[close]
I'd would like to think that the pros and skaters I love watching are getting properly compensated. And, you hear way too much about shady shit going on before Nike caused the decline of brands because of their business model. You hear bad shit about Circa, which led to Jamie moving on and starting Fallen.

While Nike is a bit like dealing with the devil, and they have done shops dirty in recent years (and what converse is implementing in Canada is scary). But, I do think aspects of NikeSB bring in money that otherwise wouldn't enter the skate industry. Through the hypebeast aspect of NikeSB shoes and people who never skate buying them. If that helps pay guys who are in their 40's good money such as BA, Lance, Koston, or sponsoring lesser known kids on smaller to help them make good money such as the Polar or 917 guys they pay, I'd think that's a good thing.

I respect your idealism. I just think that is probably impossible to implement or have last. So, I'll enjoy guys getting hooked up and able to make a great living, and produce footage. That happened before, but even if skateboarding was left uninvaded, I think exactly what you fear would of just happened. Podium or Sole Tech would just be our Nike, with significant influence.
[close]

I don’t think I’m being idealistic. That would mean there’s an inevitable path skateboarding must go down, which to certain people means a stadium or arena sport ruled by leagues and corporations. This outcome is not a foregone conclusion. As long as skaters are in control, skating is whatever we want it to be. What I am is not completely cynical. That is the ultimate old dude attitude.
Take the example of World Industries. A company ran by a former skater with a bunch of influential skaters involved. Eventually it was sold to coporate interest being sold to Globe in 2002, a year after Globe became a publically traded company.

Eventually, these companies will grow to a level that appeals to outside interests, and how are we to stop these skaters from eventually cashing in?

I also think you are overplaying the Olympic aspect of it. A bunch of that is pushed by former skaters like Drydek, or the people who own the boardr. I would think for Nike and Adidas, they see skateboarding as more popular due to the fashion aspect, and who that appeals to.

fulloffact

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have never understood all this "core companies are pumping out trash" bunch of bs. I've been skating and wearing  'core' skate shoes for over 30 years, and I've only ever had a couple pairs that had a legitimate issue or were uncomfortable. A couple pairs amongst hundreds. The Nikes I currently have and the Converse I had a couple years ago did/do not feel one iota better, in fact, the Converse were floppy pieces of shit that I had to stop skating right away because they had no support. Those are made by Nike, correct?

I see skaters with thrashed Nikes that are falling apart just the same as thrashed Huf's etc... people jocking the corpo sports brands have just been fooled by marketing and peer pressure. Ain't no better.

Huf sold 90% of the brand to some Japanese investment company last year...
https://hypebeast.com/2017/11/huf-tsi-holdings-acquisition-90-percent-stake

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
it really doesn't matter overall, in my experience the people who complain about corporate sponsors in skateboarding are those most likely to not financially support their local shop or routinely ask for free stuff

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
it really doesn't matter overall, in my experience the people who complain about corporate sponsors in skateboarding are those most likely to not financially support their local shop or routinely ask for free stuff

I'm not so sure about this. It doesn't even make logical sense.

I had a meeting with one of the execs at a core company and his exact words were, "We focused on price point instead of quality for too long and lost some support." This seems like a decent piece of evidence that the core companies pumped out poor quality shoes.

Moreover, from my experience, I've found that Lakai is always terrible. I've tried so hard to like their shoes but they are terrible. I'm constantly bummed with my Sole Tech shoes and so on.

But, I'd bet the numbers are out there somewhere. Just like Bones did the tests on wheel durability someone is sitting on the the numbers for shoe durability. Moreover, there has to be someone who comes on slap that actually designs shoes and can point at the materials the various companies use and each company's tolerance for mistakes in the production process. Quality isn't simply subjective with a little thought we can make it objective and testable.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »

I had a meeting with one of the execs at a core company and his exact words were, "We focused on price point instead of quality for too long and lost some support." This seems like a decent piece of evidence that the core companies pumped out poor quality shoes.

Moreover, from my experience, I've found that Lakai is always terrible. I've tried so hard to like their shoes but they are terrible. I'm constantly bummed with my Sole Tech shoes and so on.

But, I'd bet the numbers are out there somewhere. Just like Bones did the tests on wheel durability someone is sitting on the the numbers for shoe durability. Moreover, there has to be someone who comes on slap that actually designs shoes and can point at the materials the various companies use and each company's tolerance for mistakes in the production process. Quality isn't simply subjective with a little thought we can make it objective and testable.

I'd love to see an objective comparison, I have no problem being wrong. If Reebok made shoes for skating that were better than 'core' companies, I might try them, but I simply don't like the look of almost any sport brand shoes. 'Core' brands do a better job when they rip off the sport brands, in my opinion.

I will correct myself though, and say that, sadly, I did find Lakai shoes to be junk. Very uncomfortable and somewhat cheap feeling.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
I learned kickflips in Dukes,and those lasted me a long ass time. If anything,those need to come back.
  Lakai's never worked for me,I'd blow out the sole before anything else usually. Emerica and e'S were always good to me.
 I've never owned a pair of the swoosh or cons. I had some crazy Gonz Adidas for free in the early 2000s that were super light and durable,but they just weren't my style. I only skate in Vans now, mostly because that's what I started with. While a lot of these big shoe companies can make good videos, most of their shoes don't make me want to pull out my wallet. Let alone the marketing angle is usually bland (to me) as ads are either a clusterfuck or something you'd see in a non skate mag.
At this point I feel like Nike and co were just the catalyst for how professional skating is today, while the energy drinks and conglomerate sponsers are pushing the sport cookie cutter angle(Olympic prep or not) into the mainstream while having the flipside being skating is EXTREME
Quality is different for everyone,not just the fact we all like something different, and look for a certain something in a shoe. We all skate different,some dude's heavy foot flick could fuck his dunks up quicker than his featherlight foot buddy's flick. Stupid example,but whatever.

Rant over.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd love to see an objective comparison, I have no problem being wrong. If Reebok made shoes for skating that were better than 'core' companies, I might try them, but I simply don't like the look of almost any sport brand shoes. 'Core' brands do a better job when they rip off the sport brands, in my opinion.

I will correct myself though, and say that, sadly, I did find Lakai shoes to be junk. Very uncomfortable and somewhat cheap feeling.

This is far from scientific but offers a fair amount of info in a single place. http://www.weartested.com/

I can't remember if it was DC or Sole Tech but I remember that some company tried to "scientifically" prove their shit was better than everyone else. They had a machine that made the ollie motion over and over again. They put it on display at ASR or displayed a video about it. (It might have been DC marketing their super-suede or maybe it was Sole Tech right around the G2 technology days when they were promoting themselves as scientific and technologically advanced.)

Also, I tried looking up an academic article on shoe construction. I can't even understand what the hell they are saying in the abstract of this article: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2012.723819.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:53:51 PM by TheLurper »

ManMelt

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
Quality issues aside, the Corpo shoe brands are doing a lot more for skating than Core brands. Paying riders, sending them on trips, sponsoring events, providing contest purses, getting their rider’s coverage, and pumping out huge amounts of content. Look at some of the week-long events that surrounded Away Days and Cons Purple.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
Quality issues aside, the Corpo shoe brands are doing a lot more for skating than Core brands. Paying riders, sending them on trips, sponsoring events, providing contest purses, getting their rider’s coverage, and pumping out huge amounts of content. Look at some of the week-long events that surrounded Away Days and Cons Purple.

I'm really close to calling you a hoeboy but I'm not going to. all those events and all that content is all budgeted into their system by some numbers guy. and its all geared to promoting skateboarding and creating more skateboarders for them to sell shoes too my guy. you were this close buddy.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »
the corporate companies get their suede, canvas and rubber stitched and glued together in asia better than the core brands do. they also introduced the idea of tours and videos to skateboarding. thank you. where would we be without you.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2018, 02:34:17 AM »
Quality issues aside, the Corpo shoe brands are doing a lot more for a select few skaters than Core brands.

Fixed it
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2018, 04:26:20 AM »
they aren't skateboarders. fuck them!

feedmeseymour

« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2018, 04:33:17 AM »
Oh word a thread about nike not being core, very refreshing stuff.

testing 123

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
once again adidas is overlooked

ManMelt

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm really close to calling you a hoeboy but I'm not going to. all those events and all that content is all budgeted into their system by some numbers guy. and its all geared to promoting skateboarding and creating more skateboarders for them to sell shoes too my guy. you were this close buddy.

I’m not sure I see a point here. Yes, it is someone’s job to handle budgets. And yes, they hope to sell more products. That’s how ANY business works.
Are you 17 years old or did you just want to use the word hoeboy?
This isn’t ‘Nam, there are rules.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hate to break it to you but all companies want to 'shift more product' in the end.
Even the 'core' ones... Also Lakai, Huf, Brixton etc. all get funds from corporate companies. Read Transworld Business once in a while, although some are under transition again.

People forget a company in skateboarding always revolves around marketing. Even most decks are made in the same factories or woodshops. The only difference are the graphics and the way they are marketed. Quite insane actually right? But, marketing is very important...

People saying on here saying that big companies are out of touch with skating are far from correct. I know for a fact that Kaspar of Nike has always been a GREAT skater, was involved with the inception of Nike Sb and that he had a reeeeeally big hand in their comeback to skating in the 00's. They're smart enough to hire the right people...

My issues with it are the following (directed to core and corporate companies):
- Core brands these days aren't really up there quaity - and researchwise in my opnion. They used to push boundaries in the late 80's with highly teched out airwalks. Than carried out the progression in the 00's with shoes that had great protection, panelling airpockets etc (all influenced by nike, let's be honest). And those skateshoes were were worth the money in my opinion. Then everything went down qualitywise and we got thin generic uninspired vulcs that blew out instantly. 
- At the same time skateboarding itself grew in popularity and that era was literally an open door for companies like adidas and Nike, because I'm sure they smelled money and thought they could 'offer' more...
- If money is to made somewhere bigger companies are going to come in and make a superior product for the same price (or slightly cheaper) as the 'core brands'. They snuck in, and we ate it up. And they can do that since it's an open market. No one was at the door saying 'sorry, skaterowned only'.
- The only answer we could give was to not buy their products, but Nike, adidas etc have proven in the past that they just make great product. So the trust that new skateshoe companies always have to earn was already subconsciously there. Because who hasn't owned a pair of nike and adidas while growing up?
- Skaters will definitely be divided into two groups: superstars and regular skaters. When they skate for big companies they will earn a lot of money while 95% of the pro's will have to be happy with a 2000 dollar paycheck or a job on the side...
- The corporate companies have so much money they'll be slowly controling where we skate. Not for us real skaters, we skate wherever we want. But those companies are sponsoring parks/plaza's/events that will be televised/streamed and that's were the public will think skateboarding belongs. Even more so than in the past...

Also, you know what's going to be interesting?

The olympics, as much as I think it sucks, I'm pretty sure NO core brands will have the budget to pay for advertising there. I'm wondering how all that will pan out in the end...

The only good thing about corporate brands in this skateworld is that they're paying 'some' skaters good money and that their shoes are pretty great most of the time.

Other than that I think core companies layed out the groundwork and they just stole the plans...

When skateboarding isn't hot anymore we'll be dropped like a bag of shit. And I can't wait until that day comes.

It's actually VERY similar to the music industry. Small labels discover the great bands, and the bigger labels, steal them, offer them more money and drop them when they don't sell enough. It will happen with skating as well, mark my words.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:53:54 PM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No shit.  Do you want some "Core skateboarder" handling the money in your business or a person with a degree, or at least a solid understanding of accounting principles.  No one has ever said, "We just found this sick 17 year old am straight out of the hood in LA with no high school degree.  He'll be taking over CFO duties. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
I learned kickflips in Dukes,and those lasted me a long ass time. If anything,those need to come back.
amen!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
I'd add this, while the olympics is pretty stupid and I'll have no interest in it for skating. I've heard having skateboarding in it, may allow for the government in some countries to fund indoor year-round skateparks in some areas and other initiatives that are positive for the skate community. In Toronto, that would be a pretty big deal, as indoor park gets killed in the summer because no one goes, and then people start getting in on homie prices. That generally leads to the demise of any indoor park.

DONKEYSAUCE

• Rep: -5
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
Corporations have been sponsoring skateboarding for 40+ years. It might be lame, but ultimately it doesn’t fucking matter.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2018, 11:04:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No shit.  Do you want some "Core skateboarder" handling the money in your business or a person with a degree, or at least a solid understanding of accounting principles.  No one has ever said, "We just found this sick 17 year old am straight out of the hood in LA with no high school degree.  He'll be taking over CFO duties.

my guy, you got me twisted my guy. the point I'm making is that corpo brands aint just giving back to skateboarding just because, they are doing it to create a bigger market for them to keep controlling. don't come at me like that again you fuckin hoeboy. when it comes to business i know what im talking about. I'm allergic to broke boys.

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
Nike and Adidas won. It is good they are paying their skaters well. After I skated at the LA Courthouse I was a little turned around, because resurrecting that spot is an amazing things and Nike was behind that. Levis has also done some good funding and support of local spots.

We all just have to hope they decide to continue to invest in the skateboarding sub-category, because their strategy has been to decimate the smaller brands with mandatory minimum orders for skate shops and throwing money at professionals to get them to jump ship on smaller brands.

They make good shoes for skating. They aren't peddling crap, so there is that.

I just totally hate that kids might interpret the Nike swoosh as a skate logo. Why, oh why would a kid purchase a Nike t-shirt when you could directly support an exclusively skate brand by sporting their logo on your body. Maybe I'm just hyper aware of what logos I am paying to advertise with my clothing.

In the meanwhile, I'll keep buying Accels while I can. Love that shoe. I'm just sad I can't get them at the skate shop since they were forced to spend their entire budget on Adidas due to unreasonable mandatory minimums and had to cut Sole Tech.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
Nike and Adidas won. It is good they are paying their skaters well. After I skated at the LA Courthouse I was a little turned around, because resurrecting that spot is an amazing things and Nike was behind that. Levis has also done some good funding and support of local spots.

I'm not sure how big of a role Nike really played in that. The real hero in this story is Alec Beck. Nike only planned to have a single day event. Think of an event similar to the Philly X-Games. "Look at how awesome this spot is, but don't think you'll ever be able to skate here." https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/interview-alec-beck-liberating-courthouse-slo/

DC really tried to save LOVE park by coming up with a plan and offering to write a check. Nike did not do the same work DC did. They just got lucky that Alec was on the case and Synder was great at whining about homeless people being treated better than him. But, that being said, it is too bad the Sole Tech, Lakai, etc., weren't in the position to get lucky. It'd be nice if they were a little more involved in the scene.

Note: It bums me out that Synder is one of Dyrdek's lackeys and his brother is the absolute worst skate "academic" ever. I saw Aaron's brother bragging about his Primitive hoodie and who he knows at the Pushing Boarders Conference and I almost lost my shit.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:33:18 AM by TheLurper »

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Does anyone know what the deal is with pros or well known ams that rep the fuck out of nike/adidas but are not listed on the team? I feel like they go overboard if it was strictly a flow situation, are they getting a small salary?

For example,

Adidas: Chris Roberts, That McClung, LIL SCHMATTY

Nike: 917 guys

Future Barney

• Rep: -35
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »
I don’t fault skaters who ride for Nike and the likes; I wish they weren’t involved in skateboarding. I also wish that there was a skate shoe brand that manufactured in America rather than exploit workers in other countries for cheap labor...

More_Gas

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
I don’t fault skaters who ride for Nike and the likes; I wish they weren’t involved in skateboarding. I also wish that there was a skate shoe brand that manufactured in America rather than exploit workers in other countries for cheap labor...

new balance

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
just do it hoebro, the agent negotiating yo deals