Author Topic: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc  (Read 33701 times)

SkateChimney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -29
Re: Let’s be honest about corporate sponsorship Nike etc
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »
Being into wrestling is way worse than anything Nike has done to skateboarding

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
boycotting Nike AFTER you buy their products isn't really boycotting them tho

Tell that to the angry white folks that hate Kaepernick right now, they out here cutting swooshes OF their clothes and shoes....... sad!

Pigeon

« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it literally is
Yeah it is. It’s a loss of an actual customer. Someone like you would never buy Nike, so you have no effect on their sales.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
I was at two nike stores on Monday.  White people aren’t going to stop buying Nike anytime soon. 
Neither am i if I can get two pair of Janoskis for $44.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »
those posts that Monkey posted are kind of what I was talking to.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

it literally is
[close]
Yeah it is. It’s a loss of an actual customer. Someone like you would never buy Nike, so you have no effect on their sales.
I get that, but one could argue that that their initial financial support was what funded the thing that is now pissing them off no?
I guess I should have said, "getting angry over your Nike purchases and destroying them AFTER you've already given them money doesn't really achieve much in the scheme of things". You are right though, I never have/ never will purchase anything from Nike so I have little effect on their overall sales. In the big picture though I doubt Nike gives a fuck, the money will keep rolling in and they got tonnes of free publicity over this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:11:34 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2018, 10:08:27 PM »
Dude buying 6 pairs of all black Monarchs a year made me laugh out loud

wheee!

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »
Dude buying 6 pairs of all black Monarchs a year made me laugh out loud
I was dying at that  ;D

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
Cool move by Nike with Kap. New commercial has Kap, Nyjah and Lacey. Will be on TV tomorrow. Nike ain’t dumb though, they calculated they will win more than lose from this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWlutUDCEX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=136iexapqaakr

Voice of the Minotaur

• Rep: 3
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
My problem with Nike is that they blatantly ignored skateboarding for so many years, they never saw it as a worthy investment and they continued fueling big money into Basketball and Baseball.
The same year that their horseshit video came out "Nothing but the Truth" was the same year that Fully Flared came out, and skaters all bought Fully Flared DVD's and a pair of Nikes. Seemed that way from my perspective anyway.
Not trying to chime in and lament the way things have gone down and the demise of skater owned shoe brands, but just wanted to point that out.
Funny having another thread about Adidas closing accounts because people aren't spending enough with them, any of the shops want to post that letter?
Here's an interesting read from Free Skate mag interviewing ex Nike rider and shop owner David Mackie from Liverpool and how Nike pretty much put him out of business.

http://www.freeskatemag.com/2017/01/13/dave-mackey-a-new-approach-to-the-skater-owned-shop/

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »
My problem with Nike is that they blatantly ignored skateboarding for so many years, they never saw it as a worthy investment and they continued fueling big money into Basketball and Baseball.
The same year that their horseshit video came out "Nothing but the Truth" was the same year that Fully Flared came out, and skaters all bought Fully Flared DVD's and a pair of Nikes. Seemed that way from my perspective anyway.
Not trying to chime in and lament the way things have gone down and the demise of skater owned shoe brands, but just wanted to point that out.
Funny having another thread about Adidas closing accounts because people aren't spending enough with them, any of the shops want to post that letter?
Here's an interesting read from Free Skate mag interviewing ex Nike rider and shop owner David Mackie from Liverpool and how Nike pretty much put him out of business.

http://www.freeskatemag.com/2017/01/13/dave-mackey-a-new-approach-to-the-skater-owned-shop/
He was pretty clear that it wasn't nike that put him out of business. He said that they, specifically their accounting (he said legal) department, didn't have the compassion to allow him to keep his business running in debt. He said it kept growing larger and larger and he couldn't stop it.

IMO, the skate shop problem isn't with footwear companies putting shops out of business, it's e-commerce killing retail. He says it at the end of the story "Nobody shops ten ‘til six now, they shop online or on their lunch break, nobody walks into stores anymore so you have to give them a reason to be in your store." That's what's killing malls across the world too We got storefronts in major metros boarded up, with no one moving in, all because we can get what we need without ever getting off our computers.

Maybe board companies need to look at adjusting the prices of their hardgoods so that the shops can make enough to keep their doors open? Different wholesale prices for retail accounts vs. online accounts? There's gotta be some unconventional thinking, if we want skate shops to survive though.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2018, 11:20:20 PM »
I fucking love all the talk about "keep politics out of sport." Like any other aspect of life, sport is always intertwined with politics.

I mean holy shit it is insane how the NFL wraps itself in conservative politics to attract conservative viewers. It regularly draws on nationalistic and militaristic images. It regularly invokes traditional values (i.e. women must be supportive but remain on the side lines looking pretty, men must tough, we must thank God for absolutely everything, we must obey authority, and so on). The real problem here is that their echo chamber has been infiltrated by someone who is pointing something out that they don't want to hear.

Hell, the USA boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow because we didn't like the fact that the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. We used a sporting event as an opportunity for political speech. Also, fans are silly enough to interpret international contests as representations of their country's political and economic system. "Oh, well America wins the most medals at the Olympics because our political/economic system is the best."

Not to mention events of the more distant past where whites needed their great white hope to beat up the black boxer. I mean how ever will society function if we can't block black athletes from proving our dumbass racial stereotypes wrong.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:23:33 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:52 AM »
^^^good stuff^^^
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea