Author Topic: Are skate video festivals the next thing?  (Read 4222 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Are skate video festivals the next thing?
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
For a while I've been wondering what PALS thought of this new type of events that keeps popping up, and / or how far they were detached from them, provided that they had even heard about them.

I guess a lot of whether or not you get exposed to them has to do with where you're located geographically. A lot of those initiatives are undertaken by locals from areas that normally don't get too much exposure, so I'd totally understand the concept sounding foreign to people from more popular cities for skateboarding.

In Europe www.vladimirfilmfestival.com started 8 years ago as an annual DIY event, for the first couple of editions it was strictly grassroots taking place in a small village in Croatia but over the years it's developed into this massive thing being attended by people from the world over. It's attracted the likes of Zach Chamberlin, Richard Hart, Colin Read, Yoan Taillandier, Connor Kammerer, Grey Skate Mag / Free Skate Mag / Solo, the LLSB guys, Will Harmon and a bunch of people from the UK (Dom Henry, Luka Pinto), France, Australia, Singapore, Costa Rica, Germany, Slovenia, the Rios crew from Hungary, and makes for a week packed with photo exhibitions and various activities in addition to the video projections (in spectacular settings) and of course the daily street skateboarding with tons of people exchanging. The program for this year is going to be announced real soon and is supposedly bigger than ever by far.

Since then other initiatives have been popping up such as Sergej Vutuc's Roundabout in Germany (albeit a much smaller thing) or Ivan Skate Fest in Slovenia, some in more luxurious locations also managed to play their cards right and get funding by corporate brands to redirect what still remains a culturally substantial event, ie. http://www.mimpifilmfest.com.br in Rio De Janeiro - their image is corny because they double up as a surf film festival in order to get bigger sponsors than if it were just a skate thing, but the skateboarding side is interesting.

Here's an interview with the guy who runs the Mimpi festival in Brazil: http://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/mimpi-ruido-premiere

Here's an interview with Nikola Racan who runs Vladimir in Croatia (the most authentic and passion-driven one in my opinion): https://www.greyskatemag.com/2016/10/nikola-racan-interview/

Here's a doc I made last year about Vladimir if you want to try and catch the vibe: http://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/vladimir-premiere

The whole point of these events is to try and get people from all over the world to connect, meet up, skate and exchange about their respective cultures, usually it is a lot of creatives who use the opportunity to link up and the skateboarding is super intense because during the day there's so many people skating. The mere possibility of such events happening nowadays I think owes a lot to the Internet (and low-cost flights) so I thought it could be rad to bring them up on this message board and who knows, they could make for good opportunities for PALS meet-ups too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:35:12 AM by silhouette »

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
Re: Are skate video festivals the new thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
A skate video festival would probably be a good place to hook up with hipster chicks

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
there’s a skateboard film festival in LA that’s been going on the last few years. always been wanting to drive down to attend.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »
there’s a skateboard film festival in LA that’s been going on the last few years. always been wanting to drive down to attend.

When? I'm upset I'm barely finding out about this
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When? I'm upset I'm barely finding out about this

they do it at cha cha lounge, though it seems like they haven’t had one this year yet.

https://www.instagram.com/independent_skate_film_fest
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
there’s a skateboard film festival in LA that’s been going on the last few years. always been wanking to drive down to attend.

when and wear is it?  i would be totally stroked to go to this. 

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »
Expand Quote
there’s a skateboard film festival in LA that’s been going on the last few years. always been wanking to drive down to attend.
[close]

hopefully it’s cumming soon, gotta push harder for it.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:31:10 AM »
Its like I could say I hope not but logically just don't go, sounds exahusting to me however.  I take my time with videos I want to see, a bunch Ive never heard of...while probably rad...would put me to sleep.

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 02:56:59 AM »
Who gets to hit the Vert button?
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:52:59 AM »
Sounds cool to me. If there was one in Houston i would go.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »
I think with level of corporatism happening in skating it's great to see the creatives in the skate world taking things into their hands and creating something that's genuine and truly for others.

I'm going to be at Vladimir this year and and it sounds like one giant nerdy hang out for those that really love the art forms and the artists within skating - no ego or pretention attached to it. They started out super small doing outdoor skate video screenings during their summers because they were bored and now it's grown into this bigger operation. I'm pretty excited to go hang out in this Croatian fishing village and see what it's all about. I've heard they've purposely shied away from seeking out skate company sponsors which is a cool(and not easy) route to take.

We've really got to respect anyone that undertakes these kinds of events, big or small. It's important that communities do this type of thing for themselves. Yes it costs money, yes it takes a lot of time, organization and effort but I think the payoff(not talking monetarily, because these things don't pay) is pretty great in the end.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 04:44:58 AM »

Yeah I've seen about it on IG, there's a been big annual one in Paris for a few years too but in all honesty while those are still good initiatives and such cultural happenings are always a constructive thing to have, to me they look a more disconnected from the local and indie scene throughout the world, quite possibly because so much of the industry is based there, the 'mainstream' scene is the local scene. Whilst some of the others events I've mentioned really are mostly platforms for indie filmmakers, artists, am's and more independent media people to all get together and exchange rather than just a public broadcasting of stuff that's probably hot on YouTube already anyway and sterile jerking off of egos yearning for awards.

Not bagging those festivals, I've been to Mimpi in Rio de Janeiro which looked pretty blown out from the outside too (surf crowd and whatnot) but to my greatest pleasure I actually met dozens of unique skateboarders from vibrant local scenes I would have never heard of there. Hence why, like I was saying, I think all of them are essentially a positive thing to have (so far) - makes people put down their phones and leave the skatepark for a bit. Maybe in the future some kind of network between some of the likeminded festivals in the different countries should connect, I know that's the will of many as those festivals are fundamentally ran by idealists who crave communication and a lot of them want to push the concept by interacting and working with even more people.

I really wonder what the LA one is like now, though, and how it's curated. As it's situated in the hotbed of the industry I'm tempted to have the preconceived idea that the indie scenes throughout the globe aren't represented there (let alone physically) and that the exchange is less exotic and passionate, but I very well might be wrong on that, it's still exchange anyway.

Silhouette, can you stop posting ? thanks

If you're going to try and come at me you're going to have to do a lot better than with an account with 5 posts pertaining to Ryan Sheckler, Nike and Habitat in 2018, gadget.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 04:46:46 AM »
I think with level of corporatism happening in skating it's great to see the creatives in the skate world taking things into their hands and creating something that's genuine and truly for others.

I'm going to be at Vladimir this year and and it sounds like one giant nerdy hang out for those that really love the art forms and the artists within skating - no ego or pretention attached to it. They started out super small doing outdoor skate video screenings during their summers because they were bored and now it's grown into this bigger operation. I'm pretty excited to go hang out in this Croatian fishing village and see what it's all about. I've heard they've purposely shied away from seeking out skate company sponsors which is a cool(and not easy) route to take.

We've really got to respect anyone that undertakes these kinds of events, big or small. It's important that communities do this type of thing for themselves. Yes it costs money, yes it takes a lot of time, organization and effort but I think the payoff(not talking monetarily, because these things don't pay) is pretty great in the end.

100% with you on everything. Looking forward to seeing you at Vladimir! The location and the experience are out of this world. You'll love it.

Smithy

• Rep: 1
  • SmithySmitherson
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
Kinda feel like saying "no" just because it was a question thread. But also cause that is so far beyond were I live also.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Re: Are skate video festivals the next thing?
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »
Kinda feel like saying "no" just because it was a question thread. But also cause that is so far beyond were I live also.

Reactions like yours are interesting to me and the reason why I started the thread (didn't make it a question thread for no reason). To me the disparities in how differently people with one same basic passion (skateboarding) will relate to completely different things stemming from said passion is rather fascinating.

Those indie festivals are culturally interesting phenomenons in the present times because a lot of them are mostly DIY and all of them are people organically trying to exchange local substance, ideas and crafts that are way more true to the misfit nature of skateboarding than most everything else that's being marketed out there. They make for temporary places where the industry doesn't dictate the production, and the videos presented there are much more interesting, meaningful and again, true to the original skate culture than sterile commercials that might as well play in malls (when they're not specifically designed to).

They are a type of very niche organized rebellion which to me is another sign of the current times where skateboarders are just fucking over the fossilizing of what used to be their industry, a lot of them feel disconnected from its public representation to the point where some think fuck it, skateboarding doesn't have to be theirs, we could build our own dimension from the ground up.

Hence why I was saying depending on where one is based and how hot the scene is in their area (or how detached they are from it), their approach to those festivals will vary a lot. If you've spent your life immersed in some kind of hot bed where whoever does something decent gets due shine and then some, it's easy to see why you wouldn't need such events. But if instead you're used to under- or misrepresentation, seeing your peers work like maniacs on projects that never make it on mainstream media because advertising en masse is taking up all the space or if you're remotely sensitive to the independent scene(s) and curious as to what quality video offering the next guy might be fine-tuning from his neck of the woods, basically if you're a deep skate nerd you'll see them as a blessing.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
I've never been to a skate video festival but I'm sure I would love it.
Anyone have been to Paris Surf & Skateboard Film Festival ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
If they combined a film event with an already existing event like glory challenge or Copenhagen pro that would be so sick.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
I've never been to a skate video festival but I'm sure I would love it.
Anyone have been to Paris Surf & Skateboard Film Festival ?

Never went, but I follow them and get the newsletters and everything, and the preconceived idea I have of it is that it sounds pretty serious and kind of blown out, almost like a mainstream event with heavy curating headed towards that direction. Then again I'm not sure who's in charge of it and going there may (or may not) change my mind, maybe it's just passionate people who were smart and organized enough to play their cards right from the start or maybe it's corporate but I know I have a tender spot in my heart for more raw, authentic initiatives such as Vladimir that I don't have for pseudo-intellectual Vice crowd-oriented happenings. In reality, although the basic concept is the same for those festivals, every single of them is so different, and representative of the state of the scene of wherever they pop up in. Somehow the most interesting places are the ones with the least industry presence.

A round trip ticket to Pula in Croatia to attend Vladimir is stupid cheap from pretty much anywhere in western Europe, say less than 100€ round trip and the guys offer absolute bargains on drinks, food and accommodation there. Plus there's a Palomino pop-up store every year. Can't wait till they finally announce the program for the upcoming edition three weeks from now, supposedly it's going to be their biggest year.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
we should do a SLAP festival, i imagine it to be something like gathering of the juggalos except with more complaining and we all know how magnets work.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
Seems like there are more and more people finding ways to monetize skate media these days, by putting academic and/or popular (human interest) spins on it. If this trend keeps up, the conference/festival format will probably continue to grow in popularity for the same reasons it does in other industries: as a place to hawk your wares, network, and meet like-minded people.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Program of this year's edition of Vladimir (in three weeks) just went up:
https://vladimirfilmfestival.com

27. 9.  / Thursday
Fažana

Brioni Hotel

19:00
Photo and video exhibition
Dornelândia

Photo exhibition
Sarah Parson Texas

Skate market
Palomino
Low life
Simple skateboards
Dumb skateboards
Absurd skateboards
Marko Zubak

20:00
Skate video projections

Feng Shui
Daniel Ferreira

Josh Cox and Joe Sivell
Chris Morgan

Waltz
Spencer Legebokoff

Teddie
George Toland

Kasarna

23:00
Photo exhibition
Peter Fettich

28. 9. / Friday
Fažana

Piazza Grande

Street food stand
REPeat

Photo exhibition
Tom Wilk

Skate video projections:

Mustapha
Tom Wilk

Yalla Yalla
Absurd skateboards

Don’t worry Gordo, the universe will get us there
Jackson Davis

Hawaiian Peel
Keanu Robson

Dumb ape tour
Dumb skateboards

Brothers
Nino Jurlina

Kasarna

Branimir after party
DJ Figlio

29. 9. / Saturday
Pula

Kino Valli

Photo exhibition
Louisa Menke

Get used to it
Blam studio

20:25
Photosynthesis
Marcus Craven

20:30
Expedition to I-ran
Original Copy

Kaštel

21:30
The Skatrix (installation)
Rick Charnoski, Coan Buddy Nichols

Galerija Cvajner

Photo exhibition
Will Jivcoff

30. 9. / Sunday
Fažana

National park Brijuni

18:00
Brijuni boat ride

20:30
Amazing Race
Jucie Huhtala

20:40
Absurd at the Azov Sea
Absurd skateboards

21:00
This is not the new Grey Area Video: Neverwhere
Kuba Kaczmarczyk

Kasarna

After party w/ BBQ

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
Its like I could say I hope not but logically just don't go, sounds exahusting to me however.  I take my time with videos I want to see, a bunch Ive never heard of...while probably rad...would put me to sleep.

kinda agree to an extent. i think itd be a fun party, but its kinda hard to digest full videos at a premiere, let alone multiple ones in a night. i like the concept though

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kinda agree to an extent. i think itd be a fun party, but its kinda hard to digest full videos at a premiere, let alone multiple ones in a night. i like the concept though

Oh yes those festivals are definitely draining and leave you unable to watch another skate video for weeks (... or hours), I have to say it depends on the program a lot though. Watching generic skate videos back to back sounds impossible but when it's stylish, creative indie stuff full of new spots and new styles and most everybody involved in the project is present and you just skated street with them two full days in a row, it's a lot more exciting and gives the whole experience a whole new meaning.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Beat meat to it

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
so did anyone on here come to this year's Vladimir that I somehow failed to recognize?

festival was dope. Six Stair three-dimensional installation was tight. the Brits dominated the video screenings, the Lovenskate video was dope, George Toland's "Teddie" was amazing. Jim Craven new piece. that animated tribute to Photosynthesis by Marcus Craven. lots of cool stuff from the Italian Dumb Skateboards crew too, the Croatian full-length "Brothers" from Simple Skateboarders is a new personal favorite and instant classic. and of course the new Grey Area video. Louisa Menke has the loveliest voice in skateboarding.

ended the event with a surprise 60-question skate trivia quiz and the winning team earned the right to be forced to sing a karaoke version of "Toxic"

great times skating too

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
wrote a recap of the new Vladimir for Free Skate Mag, with photos by Joel Peck: http://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/10/06/vladimir-film-festival-2018-recap/

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
Thanks sil, look forward to reading.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »
No

Free max b
FREE MAX B

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
Imagine being sexually assaulted to a Ty Evans production :(