Author Topic: Gilbert Crockett - We Rarely Get Stuff This Cool  (Read 3609 times)

rejectpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Gilbert Crockett - We Rarely Get Stuff This Cool
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/gilbert-crockett-s-we-rarely-get-stuff-this-cool-video/

That was a cool watch, having a shop with my mum would be so cool!

I liked his outlook on skating with his friends who don’t make a living skating!

I know it wasn’t anything standout but Gilbert looks good on a skateboard
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: Gilbert Crockett - We Rarely Get Stuff This Cool
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
I actually had the opportunity to go to Cee Blues a couple weeks back. No Gil, but his mother was there and was super nice. Bought some salt shakers, a shop shirt, a crewneck, and my wife even got some shirts. The store is set up really well and all of the stuff in there is interesting and is obviously hand selected to be there. A lot of places have tried to do this whole vintage sell and half the time its just random stuff that honestly is not cool or desirable. Cee Blues definitely has a Western and Military theme in terms of what clothing they have, again adding to the cohesiveness of the store.

Oh! The prices are beyond fair as I honestly felt that they were not trying to capitalize on this growing trend. I'll certainly be heading back.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »
pretty cool.  I went to a restaurant a couple blocks down the other day and noticed this store.  I didn't go in though.  i'll try to stop by sometime

how ballsy was that back 180 nose manual in front of that car? haha
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:41:12 PM by straight fucking edge »
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »
This was sick. Richmond is about 6 hours from me, and I got the opportunity to shoot for the ESPN X-Games site at a Lost Bowl BMX jam up there several years ago. That back yard is gnarly. Cool city, with some interesting history (not all of it good) and very decent places to eat. This was a nice watch for sure.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
Not the biggest fan of this dude but when he said the part about LA, I knew exactly why moving away from it would get him stoked on skateboarding again. For certain types of people, my proud shitty skateboarding self included, the farthest you get from LA skate culture, the radder and cooler it feels. The older I get and look back, there is something special in those far away from the industry ignorant curated bubbles you create in your little skateboard worlds.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
Richmond is such a cool city with the sickest spots and I'm super bummed that the one time I visited, I didn't bring my board. I wish it wasn't on the other side of the country as me and I could visit again. And buy some stuff off Gilbert's mom, I would probably fan out just meeting her lol

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
what the fuck is up with the weird censorship

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »
Dug the comment about skating around / with people who don't do it for a living (or work in the industry).

Considering I grew up 2 1/2 hours south of Richmond, I do regret not ever visiting it on a skate trip. We would always just blast up to DC, Philly, or NYC.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
I actually think a lot about his move back to Richmond. I live in LA now and work in the film industry, but I'm from Kansas City and have lived in Kentucky and Alabama for a little while. I feel like somehow, this work that I used to feel really jazzed about and privileged to do, is just a little less fun out here. Everyone is expecting something and competing with each other. When I was just making movies because I liked it, it all felt a lot more organic and like I could really make choices that just felt good to me. Out here it feels like you're balancing what you love with 20 other people's expectations of what you should be doing.

I think a career in skateboarding is a lot like a career in any creative field (usually starts as a creative passion, you get noticed if you're good enough, you can move to LA and be very productive and make a lot of money, etc.). But there's definitely something a little soul-sucking about this city that was constructed entirely as a backdrop for creative commerce.

Gilbert seems like a great dude.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
I actually think a lot about his move back to Richmond. I live in LA now and work in the film industry, but I'm from Kansas City and have lived in Kentucky and Alabama for a little while. I feel like somehow, this work that I used to feel really jazzed about and privileged to do, is just a little less fun out here. Everyone is expecting something and competing with each other. When I was just making movies because I liked it, it all felt a lot more organic and like I could really make choices that just felt good to me. Out here it feels like you're balancing what you love with 20 other people's expectations of what you should be doing.

I think a career in skateboarding is a lot like a career in any creative field (usually starts as a creative passion, you get noticed if you're good enough, you can move to LA and be very productive and make a lot of money, etc.). But there's definitely something a little soul-sucking about this city that was constructed entirely as a backdrop for creative commerce.

If it makes you feel any better, most people in LA don’t give a shit about the film industry.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
I find it adorable that he and his mom operate that little shop.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it makes you feel any better, most people in LA don’t give a shit about the film industry.

Sure? Maybe I misspoke -- I know that the vast majority of people living here aren't part of the industry, but when it's the world you work in and see day-to-day (as skateboarding is for Gilbert Crockett), it becomes pretty inextricable from your experience in the city.

IHOP

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sure? Maybe I misspoke -- I know that the vast majority of people living here aren't part of the industry, but when it's the world you work in and see day-to-day (as skateboarding is for Gilbert Crockett), it becomes pretty inextricable from your experience in the city.

ya most people in LA give a shit about the skateboard industry even less?

Definitely agree with what you are saying, the fun of actually creating gets muddied by expectations and pressure of the 200 other people around you doing the same thing.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, but most people who live in LA that skateboard, give a shit about this corny ass skate industry. Which is basically the equivalent of Hollyweird in our world, isn't it.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
i enjoyed this

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
I liked the shy girlfriend cameo, that shit is key.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
its nice to see a skater who isnt regular

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 07:15:37 AM »
Cut the bullshit - how many stars? (out of 10)

I actually had the opportunity to go to Cee Blues a couple weeks back. No Gil, but his mother was there and was super nice. Bought some salt shakers, a shop shirt, a crewneck, and my wife even got some shirts. The store is set up really well and all of the stuff in there is interesting and is obviously hand selected to be there. A lot of places have tried to do this whole vintage sell and half the time its just random stuff that honestly is not cool or desirable. Cee Blues definitely has a Western and Military theme in terms of what clothing they have, again adding to the cohesiveness of the store.

Oh! The prices are beyond fair as I honestly felt that they were not trying to capitalize on this growing trend. I'll certainly be heading back.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 01:58:57 PM »
Richmond is such a cool city with the sickest spots and I'm super bummed that the one time I visited, I didn't bring my board. I wish it wasn't on the other side of the country as me and I could visit again. And buy some stuff off Gilbert's mom, I would probably fan out just meeting her lol

as someone who lives in richmond da fuck are you talking about? we make do with what we have, there ain't no 'sickest' spots around these parts
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Coolhats

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

as someone who lives in richmond da fuck are you talking about? we make do with what we have, there ain't no 'sickest' spots around these parts

one man's trash...

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »

This is funny.