Author Topic: SF - Not skate spots  (Read 1819 times)

ige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
SF - Not skate spots
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
Going to San Fransisco for 3 days. Not bringing my skateboard, but thought i would still ask the skaters what are the best bars and food places to hit up? The only interesting food spot currently on my list is Tommys Joynt. Heard Andy Roy loves that place :D

Thanks!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
Re: SF - Not skate spots
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:22 AM »
Z&Y Restaurant - Szechuan food . Usually have to show up and put your name down on a list, but it can move pretty fast. Right next to the China Banks.

El Metate - The pineapple salsa is what's up, sometimes it's other assortments of fruit in there.

Pancho Villa Taqueria - 16th and Mission. Cheap fast mexican food.

Mr. Banh Mi, Balboa Street - Cheap vietnamese sandwiches, super good. If you had a board you could bomb Balboa down to the beach afterwords.

Tu Lan - Vietnamese. Snack skateoards recently dropped a tribute board to this spot.

Yamo - Burmese

--

I'm not much of a drinker, so I can't really help you on the bar tip. Skaters seem to flock towards Kilowatt in the mission. Surfers / skaters like The Riptide in the Outer Sunset.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
Going to San Fransisco for 3 days. Not bringing my skateboard, but thought i would still ask the skaters what are the best bars and food places to hit up? The only interesting food spot currently on my list is Tommys Joynt. Heard Andy Roy loves that place :D

Thanks!

But why? You are gonna regrettttt ittttt.

ige

• Rep: -74
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:29 AM »
The main reason is the place im coming from - Europe. My luggage is not big enough for a board/deck and trans-Atlantic flights don't let you carry your board on board as "carry on". Well, maybe they would, but i am already using a backpack as a "carry on" so i doubt i'm interested in hustling with the staff.

I'm actually going to NY as well (for the third time) and every time i promise, that next time i'll bring my board... But i am always traveling with my girlfriend so just kind of hasn't happened. Plan B would be to bring my trucks and just buy a board in SF and give it to some kid after my stay. We'll see!

Not Local

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
Nonsense. You can take your trucks off and put them in your bag and carry the deck.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:43:24 PM »
Nonsense. You can take your trucks off and put them in your bag and carry the deck.

You'd think so and I think you're right for Europe. But be careful with this logic in other countries. I won't speak for non-latin american continents, but I've definitely almost had to pay to check in trucks in Mexico just this past summer. I sort of sweet talked the ladies who were working into thinking they were roller skate attachments so that I wouldn't have to wait in line again and I got to go through. This shit is so wack, they should just let us carry our skates on planes. Injustice.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:58:03 AM »
such oppression

Not Local

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'd think so and I think you're right for Europe. But be careful with this logic in other countries. I won't speak for non-latin american continents, but I've definitely almost had to pay to check in trucks in Mexico just this past summer. I sort of sweet talked the ladies who were working into thinking they were roller skate attachments so that I wouldn't have to wait in line again and I got to go through. This shit is so wack, they should just let us carry our skates on planes. Injustice.

Mate, sorry to hear that. I take my Euro-centric words back. I've only travelled with a board between North America and Europe the last few years.

thebacker

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:06:26 PM »
El castillito is a must stop for burritos. And is right by the deluxe shop

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mate, sorry to hear that. I take my Euro-centric words back. I've only travelled with a board between North America and Europe the last few years.

Starting from the US or Canada you can bring your board on no problem (unless it is Spirit, who likes to charge extra for everything).

In Europe the official rule is no skateboards on the plane. I've been able to get mine by a few times, but at this point I've resigned myself to checking my board. I have a hardshell suitcase and I just jam the board into it. It sucks to pay for baggage, but it also makes life just that much easier not to have to argue with the security people.

I had my shit stolen by security in Cuba. That suuuucked. I told them "I came down here I gave away 5 completes to the locals" and the dude didn't care. My board went to his office and was never to be seen again.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?