Author Topic: Quality of skater owned brands vs corps  (Read 2406 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 75
Quality of skater owned brands vs corps
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
I watched the Marc Johnson nine club episode, and Roger said that corp brands are better quality then skater owned brands. Hence why so many skate Nike, Vans and Adidas.
Is there some truth to this?

I grew up skateboarding the E's (Es, Emerica and Etnies), and had 2 pairs of Reynolds Lows when they came out. First pair was good, but 2nd was terrible. After this ive always used Nike or Adidas.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:55:41 AM by Vintagebody »

shit_for_brains

Re: Quality of skater owned brands vs corps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
This stupid shit again

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
Nike is Fucking Garbage.

ungzilla

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »
go to heck

thebacker

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
states are quality

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
Have you felt how thin the suede is on a blazer low?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
I watched the Marc Johnson nine club episode, and Roger said that corp brands are better quality then skater owned brands. Hence why so many skate Nike, Vans and Adidas.
I wonder why someone who is sponsored by a corpo-brand would say that the quality was better?  ::)

had 2 pairs of Reynolds Lows when they came out. First pair was good, but 2nd was terrible. After this ive always used Nike or Adidas.
You probably skated the black/white first (premium suede version) and then skated a different color (reg. suede).

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wonder why someone who is sponsored by a corpo-brand would say that the quality was better?  ::)

Not sure who Roger is sponsored by. Is he even sponsored?

Yes I did have another colorway, but it wasent just how the suede was, but the whole shoe tiself felt stiffer and more uncomfertable.

Expand Quote
had 2 pairs of Reynolds Lows when they came out. First pair was good, but 2nd was terrible. After this ive always used Nike or Adidas.
[close]
You probably skated the black/white first (premium suede version) and then skated a different color (reg. suede).

Not sure who Roger is sponsored by. Is he even sponsored?

Yes I did have another colorway, but it wasent just how the suede was, but the whole shoe  felt stiffer and more uncomfertable. And yes, I know shoes are stiffer when new, but we're talking after some weeks of skating.

Ive also tried Blazer Lows, its my current shoe and its very good but doesnt last long...
Which is kinda why I made this thread. I used to love Emerica Reynolds shoes (2s and 3s), as he is my fav skater. Kinda tempted to try the reissues, but that experience I had with the reynolds lows kinda put me away.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:30:09 PM by Vintagebody »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
What does Nike have to do with dead bodies?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »
the workers in the corpo sweatshops are mesmerized by the big brand logos and put more effort into their stitching and gluing. the workers in the core factories are like what the hell is emerica and don’t even try. they just eye the clock till lunch and the end of their shift.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 02:17:12 AM »
Corps have better materials and better R&D and experience in making products on certain specific things

Like Nike has years of experience in making a solid shoe so when they make shoes they’ve already gone through the r&d of how to keep them stiff, lasting and all that

The sole tech guys were only experienced in knowing what a skater would want in a shoe but not completely understanding of the construction of a shoe like the corps
yes

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »
so much depends on what actual shoe you are talking about and how you skate. A dunk is going to last longer than the bruin and if you only skate tranny and never flip your board your shoes might last longer than a tech ledge lizard.

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »
i've had several pairs of vans pro skate and the sole will just totally seperate from the foxing in the first 10 hours. those are some $100 ass shoes in canada. i know that vf corp has a dumb amount of money but vans still blow. boom, scientifically proven corpo ≠ quality

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
I've taken in so many nike sb on warranty it's ridiculous, adidas and vans too, and people here are like "I had one pair of lakai's 5 years ago that had shitty suede, I'm never buying lakai again!"

What the fuck?

My buddy had the black blocks gt blazer, sole came off first session, got a new pair, the sude ripped a huge hole on the inside of the foot first or second session. He also tore an ollie hole in a pair of suede cons ctas in less than an hour, but sure, nike's quality is superb!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:16:11 AM by bbk »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55:21 PM »

I got a cheap pair of Proper Conquistas...  I was curious because I can’t remember hearing anyone talk about them at all.

They are kind of interesting... they look much more like bowling shoes than the picture would suggest, which may be a huge plus if you like bowling shoes.

They aren’t the most comfortable things in the world (they might need to be broken in more?)

The crazy part about them is how much suede they use.  They are like armored tanks. It’s super thick and is doubled around the ollie hole, toe and heel.

Anyone else tried them?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »

I got a cheap pair of Proper Conquistas...  I was curious because I can’t remember hearing anyone talk about them at all.

They are kind of interesting... they look much more like bowling shoes than the picture would suggest, which may be a huge plus if you like bowling shoes.

They aren’t the most comfortable things in the world (they might need to be broken in more?)

The crazy part about them is how much suede they use.  They are like armored tanks. It’s super thick and is doubled around the ollie hole, toe and heel.

Anyone else tried them?

Weirdly I don't think anyone here has but the guy who runs it posts here sometimes, it's the "footwear that works" thread or something.

I want a pair, but they're not really in the UK yet. Interested in how they work out!
Total newbie

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:07:49 PM »
I've taken in so many nike sb on warranty it's ridiculous, adidas and vans too, and people here are like "I had one pair of lakai's 5 years ago that had shitty suede, I'm never buying lakai again!"

What the fuck?

My buddy had the black blocks gt blazer, sole came off first session, got a new pair, the sude ripped a huge hole on the inside of the foot first or second session. He also tore an ollie hole in a pair of suede cons ctas in less than an hour, but sure, nike's quality is superb!

Thank you for supplying additional examples of what I've been saying for so long...

Nike is Fucking Garbage

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »

Brguy

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 05:09:55 AM »
Where I live is always best to buy local small brands that won't charge you an eye for a skinny shoe that won't last a month.