Author Topic: Iceland, Denmark, France  (Read 2972 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
    • tumblr avatar image
Iceland, Denmark, France
« on: September 06, 2018, 02:03:03 AM »
Heading to these three places in about two weeks with my lady. Should have a little time to skate. Anyone got any info on good spots to eat, skate shops, some skate spots, anything else that is worth checking out. Any places to avoid?
Thanks in advance

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Iceland, Denmark, France
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Reykjavík:

Ingólfur Square is the goto spot for the locals, at least it was when I was last there. Smooth flat ground and random obstacles.

Hallgrimskirkja has fun banks out front. I had soft wheels, not sure how hard wheels would fare.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLWaizHDk8f/?taken-by=swarmlife

There's a diy in the city as well.  I forgot to check it out. It may or may not still be around.
https://www.skateboard.com.au/skateparks/iceland/reykjavik-diy/

The best thing about Iceland are the glaciers, the hot springs, the waterfalls, the hikes, and just being made to feel super small. Rent a car (make sure you have insurance on your credit card, or get full coverage) and just drive as far as you can. We drove to Hellnar and that place was fucking rad. Just crazy cliffs and waves crashing. Camping laws are super lenient out there.

Hotspring tips:
Seljavallalaug - man made pool that collects hot spring water. We hit it up in the middle of the night with headlamps. It's warm and super trippy / eery to swim down into.

Reykjadalur - hot spring river. Amazing 45 minute hike or so. Worth it.

Blue lagoon is eh, whatever.

The remote hot springs are way sicker. https://hotpoticeland.com/

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
Definitely rent a car in Reykjavik (it's a small city anyway, no real point in going to Iceland if you're going to just stay there); small truck if you plan on going on route 0 (the 'touristic' road that loops around the entire island), big truck if you plan on venturing into the main lands (the paths are super fucked though, you might find yourself on awful terrain, risky cliffs, having to drive through lakes etc. so be careful with insurance). A few years back I had a short window of time in Iceland with my girlfriend at the time so we drove from Reykjavik to Vatnajökull through the southern part of route 0 and it was amazing, plenty of shit to check out on the way from waterfalls to small villages to beaches with colors and sceneries that completely change every 30 minutes and pretty much no one else on the road (depending on when you're going I guess). In Reykjavik try out that place where they serve soup in a bowl of bread (then you get to eat the bread), and C Is For Cookie is a chill café to bring your girl too.

In France try going to Paris and Bordeaux.

Denmark, I couldn't say much as I've only been to Copenhagen once, but it's super close to Malmö.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:56:59 PM »
tkp is right about ingólfur square in Reykjavik, that place is dope. I stayed in a hotel across the street and skated with some locals there. Also saw some guys filming lines in the street downtown later in the day. There's actually a pretty good skate scene there for the northernmost capital city in the world and being on a tiny island. The shop is cool too. The guy who runs it is sick and really nice. There's a good chance it'll be raining when you're there and honestly if you're in Iceland don't spend all your time skating because there really is so much to see outside of Reykjavik. Rent a car and experience the power of nature like you never have before. You can't help but feel insignificant against the elements, even in the summertime. If you go alongside the south coast, you'll notice much of it actually looks almost identical to Hawaii, despite the looming vatnajökull glacier in the distance. Never been to Copenhagen but that's definitely where you should get the bulk of your skate time in. Have fun

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »
Reykjavík:

Ingólfur Square is the goto spot for the locals, at least it was when I was last there. Smooth flat ground and random obstacles.

Hallgrimskirkja has fun banks out front. I had soft wheels, not sure how hard wheels would fare.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLWaizHDk8f/?taken-by=swarmlife

There's a diy in the city as well.  I forgot to check it out. It may or may not still be around.
https://www.skateboard.com.au/skateparks/iceland/reykjavik-diy/

The best thing about Iceland are the glaciers, the hot springs, the waterfalls, the hikes, and just being made to feel super small. Rent a car (make sure you have insurance on your credit card, or get full coverage) and just drive as far as you can. We drove to Hellnar and that place was fucking rad. Just crazy cliffs and waves crashing. Camping laws are super lenient out there.

Hotspring tips:
Seljavallalaug - man made pool that collects hot spring water. We hit it up in the middle of the night with headlamps. It's warm and super trippy / eery to swim down into.

Reykjadalur - hot spring river. Amazing 45 minute hike or so. Worth it.

Blue lagoon is eh, whatever.

The remote hot springs are way sicker. https://hotpoticeland.com/

sick thank you for the info! I appreciate it. That little diy looks pretty mellow. Def going to hit that up! thanks again!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
Definitely rent a car in Reykjavik (it's a small city anyway, no real point in going to Iceland if you're going to just stay there); small truck if you plan on going on route 0 (the 'touristic' road that loops around the entire island), big truck if you plan on venturing into the main lands (the paths are super fucked though, you might find yourself on awful terrain, risky cliffs, having to drive through lakes etc. so be careful with insurance). A few years back I had a short window of time in Iceland with my girlfriend at the time so we drove from Reykjavik to Vatnajökull through the southern part of route 0 and it was amazing, plenty of shit to check out on the way from waterfalls to small villages to beaches with colors and sceneries that completely change every 30 minutes and pretty much no one else on the road (depending on when you're going I guess). In Reykjavik try out that place where they serve soup in a bowl of bread (then you get to eat the bread), and C Is For Cookie is a chill café to bring your girl too.

In France try going to Paris and Bordeaux.

Denmark, I couldn't say much as I've only been to Copenhagen once, but it's super close to Malmö.

yea me and my girl are renting a car. We got a "off road" style car to go into the mountains. Def going to try out that cafe. Thanks for the info!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
I'll be in Copenhagen from Oct. 7th until at least the 15th. I'm definitely planning on heading to Malmo at least once. DM me if you wanna link up.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 12:41:20 AM »
I'll be in Copenhagen from Oct. 7th until at least the 15th. I'm definitely planning on heading to Malmo at least once. DM me if you wanna link up.

damn I will just miss you. Just leaving right now from Iceland. Only in Denmark for a 2 full days. Any places your checking out?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:22 AM »
Went to Iceland for our honeymoon. What a place. We ate fish and chips pretty much every night, as every spot was superb. We did the drive to Glacier Lagoon which was amazing and terrifying as you really begin to see the untamed part of Iceland as you drive on ice roads with the sea on both sides. However, I'll never forget it. I forget the name of the art museum, but its right in downtown Reykjavik. It was nice to see the art influence in this part of the world as while what we saw was incredibly dark, it reflected the genuine and pure aspects of the country. Take advantage of their happy hour too. Buy one beer, get one free.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 11:28:47 PM »
Went to Iceland for our honeymoon. What a place. We ate fish and chips pretty much every night, as every spot was superb. We did the drive to Glacier Lagoon which was amazing and terrifying as you really begin to see the untamed part of Iceland as you drive on ice roads with the sea on both sides. However, I'll never forget it. I forget the name of the art museum, but its right in downtown Reykjavik. It was nice to see the art influence in this part of the world as while what we saw was incredibly dark, it reflected the genuine and pure aspects of the country. Take advantage of their happy hour too. Buy one beer, get one free.

Yup we went to Glacier Lagoon also! super sick. We did a lot of driving around and site seeing. It rained and the wind was like 30 miles per hour.. But we had so much fun!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »
yes, Iceland is nuts.

so where are you going in Frog-land ? It's pretty big compared to Iceland or Denmark.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:45:18 AM »
yes, Iceland is nuts.

so where are you going in Frog-land ? It's pretty big compared to Iceland or Denmark.

Iceland was beautiful. I shot about 4-5 rolls of film that I still gotta get developed. In France we stayed in a airbnb downtown and did all of the touristy things. Lots of fun. Only spent about 3 full days so def wanna go back sometime soon.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 01:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote
yes, Iceland is nuts.

[close]

Iceland was beautiful. I shot about 4-5 rolls of film that I still gotta get developed. In France we stayed in a airbnb downtown and did all of the touristy things. Lots of fun. Only spent about 3 full days so def wanna go back sometime soon.

I suppose you mean 'Paris' and not France ? man I know many of my countrymen who'd be so pissed at people mistaking the capital for the country haha........... ;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 02:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yes, Iceland is nuts.

[close]

[close]

I suppose you mean 'Paris' and not France ? man I know many of my countrymen who'd be so pissed at people mistaking the capital for the country haha........... ;D

Yes... that’s what I meant.

The_Rock_Obama

• Rep: -40
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
I’ve been to all three multiple times with my family. My dad owns a house in Denmark, as well as France. Honestly, Iceland sucks ass. As for the other two, I’d pretty much rather be at home. I’ve been getting dragged on vacations around the world since I can remember, pretty over it at this point.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
I’ve been to all three multiple times with my family. My dad owns a house in Denmark, as well as France. Honestly, Iceland sucks ass. As for the other two, I’d pretty much rather be at home. I’ve been getting dragged on vacations around the world since I can remember, pretty over it at this point.
Man, I guess we should listen to the guy with several homes in noncontiguous countries in Europe who hates vacations in beautiful countries.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
You’re already my least favorite poster here. Stoked for you to get mugged your first week in your $3,000 apartment in NYC

sk84s8n

• Rep: -53
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Iceland is a funny place.  I hitchhiked around the entire island, and every single tiny town had at least a shitty 1/4 pipe, even if there were no skaters!  Akeryry or however you spell it has some cool spots, but I imagine you have already gone on your trip.  I hope if you went to Denmark you went to cristiania and skated their DIY and their bowl, as well as everywhere in Copenhagen is pretty fun too!

slippy

• Rep: 82
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You’re already my least favorite poster here. Stoked for you to get mugged your first week in your $3,000 apartment in NYC

Since Gip's been MIA for a while he's the necessary evil keeping slap together
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2023, 06:05:45 AM »
Looks like I am going to Iceland
Is that DIY still there? any good curbs?
ONTARIO CANADA