Author Topic: bearings constantly fucking up.  (Read 3205 times)

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
Re: bearings constantly fucking up.
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 11:03:01 AM »
Thoughts on spacers and/or are they worth it? I know some bearing sets come with but anywhere separately

If the bearings come with them I use them. Have had G2/G3  Bronsons this past year and used the spacers and seemed to be fast and work well. Before that though I always used Reds with no spacers obviously. Just picked up some Bronson Raws for my new setup but they don't have spacers so idk if they'll be on par with the other Bs.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
Most spacers don’t sit correct on wheels, they don’t connect at all or mush out in a week and you get all that aluminium dust into your bearings.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I need some advice and/opinions on the matter. I’d say for the past 2 years or so, no matter what bearings they are, they are almost completely shit after a month. at first I just thought it was the brand. I got Bronson bearings, they lasted all of 3 weeks. next was some indy Abel 7’s a little over a month. and now I’ve gone through two sets of reds in just over a month. they’ll feel good for awhile, then my wheels won’t spin, and I think my acmes are slipping. but I kisses the nut all the way, and the bearings just don’t spend. anyone else have this problem?
[close]

Typical Slap. First reply "buy Reds".  ::)
[close]

Well damn I read the post too fast. I saw the Bronson and Indy got distracted.

To come back to this though...

OP, what the heck is going on?

-Bronson - 3 Weeks
-Indy - Month+
-2 SETS OF REDS IN A MONTH?!

How much are you skating? How cold is it? What are you skating? How much dirt and dust do you roll through?

When you say these bearing "don't last" you mean they lock up?

Don't tighten the nuts all the way. You gotta be able to jiggle that wheel a bit, like johnes said. Bring a skate tool on the session in case one locks up and you need to loosen it a bit.

There is very likely something wrong with your trucks or maybe wheels as Yesterday's pointed out. 

I hope you are saving all these bearings. Do they spin in your finger?

Sorry for the bearing issues. Sounds infuriating. There has got to be another variable unless you have just had the absolute worst bearing luck imaginable. Are you buying from licensed retailers? Maybe these are bootleg?

I live in Florida. it’s cold here right now, but not for long periods of time. I skate probably 3 days a week, nothing crazy, just skatepark usually. don’t ride through dirt. and yea, they just stop rolling and make that hideous sound bearings make when they are fucked up. I definitely don’t have bootleg bearings though, because I buy everything from skatewarehouse. I thought maybe it was my trucks, idk? 🤷🏼‍♂️
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 12:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I need some advice and/opinions on the matter. I’d say for the past 2 years or so, no matter what bearings they are, they are almost completely shit after a month. at first I just thought it was the brand. I got Bronson bearings, they lasted all of 3 weeks. next was some indy Abel 7’s a little over a month. and now I’ve gone through two sets of reds in just over a month. they’ll feel good for awhile, then my wheels won’t spin, and I think my acmes are slipping. but I kisses the nut all the way, and the bearings just don’t spend. anyone else have this problem?
[close]

Typical Slap. First reply "buy Reds".  ::)
[close]

Well damn I read the post too fast. I saw the Bronson and Indy got distracted.

To come back to this though...

OP, what the heck is going on?

-Bronson - 3 Weeks
-Indy - Month+
-2 SETS OF REDS IN A MONTH?!

How much are you skating? How cold is it? What are you skating? How much dirt and dust do you roll through?

When you say these bearing "don't last" you mean they lock up?

Don't tighten the nuts all the way. You gotta be able to jiggle that wheel a bit, like johnes said. Bring a skate tool on the session in case one locks up and you need to loosen it a bit.

There is very likely something wrong with your trucks or maybe wheels as Yesterday's pointed out. 

I hope you are saving all these bearings. Do they spin in your finger?

Sorry for the bearing issues. Sounds infuriating. There has got to be another variable unless you have just had the absolute worst bearing luck imaginable. Are you buying from licensed retailers? Maybe these are bootleg?
[close]

I live in Florida. it’s cold here right now, but not for long periods of time. I skate probably 3 days a week, nothing crazy, just skatepark usually. don’t ride through dirt. and yea, they just stop rolling and make that hideous sound bearings make when they are fucked up. I definitely don’t have bootleg bearings though, because I buy everything from skatewarehouse. I thought maybe it was my trucks, idk? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ok.. I'm kinda an oil nerd so I'll take a shot at this..

Do you have slippy axles?
Lateral loads from landing primo are really bad for bearings.
The plastic cage stuff seems better than metal crap cages though.

Bearings in straight? No wobbly wheels?
I've got a bearing press. Love it.

Florida. Humid, raining.. you rolling thru puddles?
Just the humidity is potentially bad for rust, add in salty air..
Put it this way, guys with really nice classic cars don't usually store them right by the beach.

I'd try using cheap (spray) lube regularly. Or breaking down and resorting to a waterproof gel or grease lube.
Penetrating oil for cheap lube. I like PB Blaster. Royal Purple Maxflim is more high end.
Triflow seems easy to find.
3-in-1 is 20wt? Kinda thick. Motor oil would be cheaper and have more additives..
Chain oil, sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, cable oil..
NOT WD40 unless you just wanna wash out water.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 01:12:47 AM »
I usually get reds. I pop off the shields, put em in and then forget about them and they're good to go. I'll break one every half a year or so, I'll usually have a set or two on back up and replace em one by one as they break. A set or two will last me for years.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 06:23:18 AM »
People “going through” bearings here - are you also going without speed rings, spacers, shields and cross threading your axle nuts? How much play on your (slipped, presumably) axle? 4 inches? Some kind of bigfoot/man?

Something is not right here...

boom. Thats my thinking

In the winter i feel its best to run a dry bearing. Street Salt plus sewing machine oil doesn't equal speed
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

satan

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 11:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
People “going through” bearings here - are you also going without speed rings, spacers, shields and cross threading your axle nuts? How much play on your (slipped, presumably) axle? 4 inches? Some kind of bigfoot/man?

Something is not right here...
[close]

boom. Thats my thinking

In the winter i feel its best to run a dry bearing. Street Salt plus sewing machine oil doesn't equal speed
It's not the salt dust mixing with oil that makes the bearings slow. It the oil being thicker at colder temps. And if it's got additives like motor oil some of them need temp to "activate".
I'd worry more about salt, rust, longevity.
I mentioned it in another thread, machine shop spindle oil is a good option. That's what Indy uses on their better bearings. Shell Morlina? Iirc it's ISO 10. Could also look for ISO 5 or ISO 2 (thinnest).
Or a racing motor oil. 2wt, 0w-2. Or the 0wt weirdness..
Krytox oil or grease is another option but expensive.

edit: forgot about another option
Dry lubes like the stuff for bike chains. I think they're like a liquid wax that contains PTFE (teflon).
Don't wanna use anything with graphite, that reacts with water and corrodes steel.
The moly DFL stuff is like paint so you'd wanna disassemble to coat bearings.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:24:36 AM by satan »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:15 AM »
Reading threads like this hurts a little.
Ive never just thrown out bearings unless they all metal like the old Germans were.

So im thinking about asking everyone to send the bearings they throwing out so i can strip them down rebuild and give them to people who cant afford new shit.

Also why do people ride the cages out some times?

Ive seen this a bunch now. That plastic needs to be protected. Dont ride inside out. Thetrs no benefits at all.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

satan

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
I doubt there's many shootists on slap but gun oil should also work for bearings. The moly dry film lubes look interesting too.
The oil that comes with hair clippers is pretty thin and should work. I actually use speed cream on my clippers, but very rarely. You guys treating your bearings the same way? jk..

https://www.krytox.com/en If you're curious
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5261314/lube-off-the-mostly-ultimate-lubricant-comparison-for-locks-latches#Post5261314
Good oil forum. Vid is tough to get thru tho.
Lock cleaner/lube

https://www.twincambearing.com/about/re-new-program/
Bearing rebuilds. They reuse the balls but everything else is new?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
I doubt there's many shootists on slap but gun oil should also work for bearings. The moly dry film lubes look interesting too.
The oil that comes with hair clippers is pretty thin and should work. I actually use speed cream on my clippers, but very rarely. You guys treating your bearings the same way? jk..

https://www.krytox.com/en If you're curious
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5261314/lube-off-the-mostly-ultimate-lubricant-comparison-for-locks-latches#Post5261314
Good oil forum. Vid is tough to get thru tho.
Lock cleaner/lube

https://www.twincambearing.com/about/re-new-program/
Bearing rebuilds. They reuse the balls but everything else is new?

just got some bearing lube today. thank you for the tips!
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

satan

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 01:46:22 AM »
Hope it works out well for you.

Here's a crazy tiny oil
Phillips 66 Phillips 66® Ultra-Clean Spindle Oil ISO Grade 2
https://www.phillips66lubricants.com/product/ultra-clean-spindle-oil/