Author Topic: A look inside Marc Johnsons quirky mind  (Read 3681 times)

quimtime

Pigeon

Re: A look inside Marc Johnsons quirky mind
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:27:11 PM »
It's like Fully Flaired but 100 times more impressive.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

gub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
Heard his Adidas contract’s 3 yrs... up next spring

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »
wow marc, those are some deep cuts bro.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
There seems to be a theme of washed up pros from Fully Flared making drugged-up edits. I like Pops' better.

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »
Can I get those 6 minutes back with the purchase of a b and c board?

Mr. Fink

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »
Dammit, Marc! I love you, dog. We just want footage. Please.

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:41:59 PM »
Sooo Tripppie bro!

ArtVandelay

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:50:00 PM »
So is Neil Blender on the team err whut?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 12:51:07 AM »
There seems to be a theme of washed up pros from Fully Flared making drugged-up little tables. I like Pops' better.

I feel like MJs on to something but he's not quite there yet. I woulda told him, as a friend, to lose the Twin Peaks footage. I kinda love that instagram thing more now where he's just dropping plates. It's like a press release for the nervous breakdown he's having.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 01:11:06 AM »
Nah that was cool, like a mood board for the company. Maybe the next edit will show him skating..

Crailtap would never do stuff like this so after all he was right about them not being the right place for his creative ideas..

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 02:02:48 AM »
I think that by hyping these people up in the first place skateboarding fans owe a certain amount of respect to those with inflated egos as we are the ones who inflated them.

Marc has given so much to skateboarding its painful to see people dismiss him as a lunatic so quickly. He might not know how to vocalize what he's trying to tell people (or warn people about) but there is definitely something there.
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 04:04:16 AM »
   If you edit KRS! into anything non ironically your lost at life.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 04:58:34 AM »
If Marc Johnson had spent as long a time thinking as he had skateboarding - then he would be an articulate intellectual. But he didn't - so he isn't.

sms_b

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 07:28:20 AM »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:59 AM »
I think that by hyping these people up in the first place skateboarding fans owe a certain amount of respect to those with inflated egos as we are the ones who inflated them.

Marc has given so much to skateboarding its painful to see people dismiss him as a lunatic so quickly. He might not know how to vocalize what he's trying to tell people (or warn people about) but there is definitely something there.

The magazines, skate media, companies, and other pros are hyping these people up. That's why they run and cry when they get made fun of on here or pretend they've never heard of SLAP. Specifically because we are not hyping them up.

He wouldn't be considered and dismissed as a lunatic if he didn't act like a lunatic.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »

yeahhhhh but if you own a company and ur doing all the art direction for it, its sort of important to know how to vocalize what ur thinking effectively. since he left enjoi, it seems like he lost his special mojo to do that. enjoi's art direction was pretty simplified and nothing ever felt this heavy handed. the last few things he's made basically have no restraint and are unhinged. thats not good storytelling. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:08:44 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
thought that was a fun little edit .. nothing loony at all really
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 08:40:09 AM »
uuuuuuuh what?

MASTiF

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
IDEAS

shit_for_brains

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »
Really liking the Miami Dolphins colorway of mocking MJ

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
This would be great in theory if any of it was original, but it’s not. All he did was compile other people’s work and (barely) reinterpret/recontextualize it. Straight hack shit of stuff one loves mashed together in the hopes of conveying a greater meaning, but it’s not there. Like yeah, KRS-One, Blender, Fucktards, Twin Peaks, etc. are all great...but that doesn’t mean you can string them all together without a single piece of your own work in the mix and make it have “meaning”.

Really uninspired execution.

Funnily to me this is exemplary of the fact that he is an “ideas man”, because he certainly has them, but he deserpately needs others to execute them for him. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but I just wish he would get off his high horse, mostly stick to skating while working collaboratively with other who are far more capable of executing ideas tastefully.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
A LOT of people really want to see the likes of Poppalardo and Johnson skate more. Of course they will never be at the pinnacle of their personal ability ever again but it definately doesn't mean it wouldn't or couldn't still be great. Different but great. even if they interwove it with all this internet collage sludge - most people would celebrate.

Seems the disgruntled pro will now retire to the peripherals and communicate with an industry they resent
through obscure youtube collages masquerading as art.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
i wonder if we can get this flagged for stealing from david lynch/twin peaks?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »

Way more credit than this deserves, the problem was never that it was "too crazy". This vid is alright, but highly derivative, especially considering how many times Pontus has pointed to Blender in recent years as inspiration for his projects. Best thing mj could do is get out of california and the states altogether, go somewhere and actually experience something outside his realm of familiarity. Move to Japan maybe? Somewhere with a language barrier that forces him reconsider things. Can't think of a more credible place for a new mj part than the next Evisen video. Dude could fuck up those little tile drop-down spots if he stopped thinking and put his body to it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Way more credit than this deserves, the problem was never that it was "too crazy". This vid is alright, but highly derivative, especially considering how many times Pontus has pointed to Blender in recent years as inspiration for his projects. Best thing mj could do is get out of california and the states altogether, go somewhere and actually experience something outside his realm of familiarity. Move to Japan maybe? Somewhere with a language barrier that forces him reconsider things. Can't think of a more credible place for a new mj part than the next Evisen video. Dude could fuck up those little tile drop-down spots if he stopped thinking and put his body to it.

I would very much fuck with something like an MJ in Japan part. Also I like Pops' weird ride on grind skating. I feel like skating needs some people who get to have weird late periods like musicians can. But they gotta keep skating at least a little bit. Even Pontus has the good sense to put in 2% art and to keep the rest skating. He also seems to get footage regularly.

Also Dill is an actual human Blender quote machine.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.