Author Topic: MIKEY TAYLOR GENTRIFYING NEIGHBOURHOODS.  (Read 27927 times)

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: MIKEY TAYLOR GENTRIFYING NEIGHBOURHOODS.
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
It's somewhat difficult to get into dental school, you have to be smart enough to handle the pre-requisite courses.

Mikey Taylor would be the owner of a few cryotherapy/reiki massage joints.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
It's somewhat difficult to get into dental school, you have to be smart enough to handle the pre-requisite courses.

Mikey Taylor would be the owner of a few cryotherapy/reiki massage joints.

Stable boy

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »
I'm a bitch and don't want to get personally involved in this but would be kinda funny if someone alerted the anti-gentrification groups of this.

https://www.instagram.com/latenants/

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
I'm a bitch and don't want to get personally involved in this but would be kinda funny if someone alerted the anti-gentrification groups of this.

South Central right now is pretty gnarly with this. Literally every corner there's "We'll buy your house for cash" signs. Plenty of people have bit and sold now everyone is moving out and people that are renting have slowly been forced to move more east. It has however made the neighborhood a bit less dangerous it seems. Its bittersweet to say the least.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

South Central right now is pretty gnarly with this. Literally every corner there's "We'll buy your house for cash" signs. Plenty of people have bit and sold now everyone is moving out and people that are renting have slowly been forced to move more east. It has however made the neighborhood a bit less dangerous it seems. Its bittersweet to say the least.

Same thing is still happening in Culver City. Heavy development in a hood that was family owned 5 years ago. I'll check out that insta. I love kicking back at real estate investors.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm foreseeing a 'straight outta Compton' yoga studio or coffee shop that beefs with the Lennox competition

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2018, 08:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Same thing is still happening in Culver City. Heavy development in a hood that was family owned 5 years ago. I'll check out that insta. I love kicking back at real estate investors.
Living in Culver now..
It's insane to see $3500 a month studios, but a block down Venice I would be scared to walk alone at night.
It's getting impossible to find anything affordable west of downtown now days, and downtown is just as bad.

That being said, I would love to invest in Mikey's company if that meant I can make money from not doing anything.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Living in Culver now..
It's insane to see $3500 a month studios, but a block down Venice I would be scared to walk alone at night.
It's getting impossible to find anything affordable west of downtown now days, and downtown is just as bad.

That being said, I would love to invest in Mikey's company if that meant I can make money from not doing anything.

Something has to give here. I feel there has to be a massive debt crash coming in the next 20 years. I don't understand how the real estate market has climbed to such insane heights when wages still suck and we are being saddled with more and more student loan debt. The median household income for California is 64K per year (household is such a weird term since it could mean a single person, two married people, a whole family, a retired person, etc.). Shit even more amazingly, the median household income for LA county is 57K per year. How in the fuck is a household paying 3K for rent when they can't be taking home more than $3,300 each month? How are they paying for a car, which AAA estimates at an average monthly cost of $700 each month?

I honestly don't get it. I got lucky and I have a decent job, but I live in a shithole, I walk from point A to point B in a city "where you need a car," and I can barely put a few dollars in the bank each month. How are other people affording 3K for rent, a car, going out for drinks, new clothing, the doctor, dentist, etc.? What am I missing here?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
I'm in the northeast and it's happening here as much as anywhere else. From what I've heard the Boyle Heights protestors are particularly confrontational bc of what they've already seen happen to other neighborhoods on the eastside.
https://www.instagram.com/defendboyleheights/

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Living in Culver now..

[close]

Something has to give here. I feel there has to be a massive debt crash coming in the next 20 years. I don't understand how the real estate market has climbed to such insane heights when wages still suck and we are being saddled with more and more student loan debt. The median household income for California is 64K per year (household is such a weird term since it could mean a single person, two married people, a whole family, a retired person, etc.). Shit even more amazingly, the median household income for LA county is 57K per year. How in the fuck is a household paying 3K for rent when they can't be taking home more than $3,300 each month? How are they paying for a car, which AAA estimates at an average monthly cost of $700 each month?

I honestly don't get it. I got lucky and I have a decent job, but I live in a shithole, I walk from point A to point B in a city "where you need a car," and I can barely put a few dollars in the bank each month. How are other people affording 3K for rent, a car, going out for drinks, new clothing, the doctor, dentist, etc.? What am I missing here?
Credit cards

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Credit cards
That is a scary thought.

It seems that our grandparents were born in poverty but died in wealth, and we were born into wealth but we will die in poverty.

To some extent it has already started (https://jacobinmag.com/2018/09/senior-citizens-bankruptcy-austerity-social-security).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:29:11 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »
in that video mikey sounds like grade-a socal clueless jerk that would with right in with the hills

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Living in Culver now..

[close]

[close]
Credit cards

The thing with gentrification in south central right now is sellers are getting greedy. They only want to buy low and quickly sell as high as they can which right now the average 3 bedroom normal house that’s been remodeled is going for between 500-650k. There’s a couple of listings that are going beyond that but are staying on the market for a lot longer or they eventually drop the price because the area isn’t technically gentrified yet, it’s still the hood.

Also I’m married which makes just normal living in LA a lot more doable with a second income. I still have friends that stay with their parents because they simply can’t get a job on their own that pays enough for a place, plus bills, and transportation. It’s honestly insane, at this point you need to make pretty much over 100k to live a normal comfortable life with kids here. It’s unfortunately inevitable, you have to adapt or get lost.

MaddAddam

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »
I think we're all not addressing the elephant in the room... why is prod out skating with a hawk head topped silver walking cane?

About 1 minute 40 seconds in to that video
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:34:20 AM by MaddAddam »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »
^^ prod can turn an injury into a business opportunity:

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2018, 06:29:28 AM »
I live in Orange County,cities all over me that used to be shit are getting gentrified or have been. Downtown Santa Ana has been a major one the last ten years,but theres still one of largest homeless communities right down from all the hip and chic.

I'm knocking on wood paying my cheapish rent,at least for the area. Yet with all the concerns you have and pointed out Monkey I feep the same,it's a bitch keeping up with the Jones' and even if you don't want to, it's how one basically survives out here.

I have a good chunk of family in South Central, they either live in the ghetto acting the same, but put on a front for the  cousins that live with their parents,yet have a glamorus lifestyle with a newer car and trendy ass clothes. Some of them have kids and they're still mysteriously living this awesome life,  while I'm cashing in change to gas. Hence why I said credit cards Lurper. If you can swipe it you can't front it...for a little bit haha.

It sucks to believe all those articles saying 'Millenials don't have retirement' but judging by how I see people getting by it's true for the most part. I have only a few friends with jobs that include a pension or 401k type plan. Everyone else just spends til' they're dead,and that used to be me but now Im saving,finally.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:46:45 AM by Francis Xavier »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2018, 06:40:23 AM »
Definitely one of those guys that I can’t even look at.  I just hate his face.  Ranks just below John Hill on overall slappablility.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Also there is reverse white flight where for half a century America was this anomaly where rich people were moving out of big cities to the provinces—or suburbs—out of pretty overt racism considering minirities synonymous w crime. I also think the book “capital in the 21 century” elucidates some of this showing pretty clearly that capital consistently grows faster then income and so basically if you come from inherited wealth and just keep collecting capital as if life was monopoly you basically have to be regular to blow it, while if you earn an income for a living the vast majority of people are just going to scrape by unless you are Lebron James or the Uber guy or something. The meritocracy is all but dead right now. Like 4 of the 10 richest people in the country are wal mart heirs who haven’t worked a day in their life. Also I’ll just add I think that downtown is the most disgusting. I imagine many of the yuppies down there rent but the confluence of extreme wealth and extreme poverty is just gross. I guess Venice has kinda become the same way. I was born there in like a 40 k 900 square foot house that is now 1.7 mil. Unfortunately my parents sold it when I was a kid to get a bigger house in the suburbs away from minirities.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:43 PM »
I'm sorry, this dude is actually making a living off gentrifying entire neighborhoods? I never had much respect for Mikey but he can go to hell for all I care now.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
could you imagine referring to displacing lower income families as "on some skate shit" for profit you don't in any way need

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:49 AM »
Expand Quote
could you imagine referring to displacing lower income families as "on some skate shit" for profit you don't in any way need
[close]
fuck you. Make America nicer and greater. We're not fucking slums or a free handout here. Fucking liberal fucktards. Keep providing for your family and chase that American dream Mikey. Fuck these sore ass losers leaching on looking for a free handout. Fuck them.
God you suck, nobody said any of that bullshit you're going on about. And why is anything about being a decent human to other people immediatly marked as a shitty libtard? Being a good homie shouldn't be bipartisan.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 157
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
fuck you. Make America nicer and greater. We're not fucking slums or a free handout here. Fucking liberal fucktards. Keep providing for your family and chase that American dream Mikey. Fuck these sore ass losers leaching on looking for a free handout. Fuck them.
[close]
God you suck, nobody said any of that bullshit you're going on about. And why is anything about being a decent human to other people immediatly marked as a shitty libtard? Being a good homie shouldn't be bipartisan.
[close]
A "decent human being"? By what? Not getting a job and making money? Fuck those slums who can't pay rent because the neighborhood got nicer and more drug and crime free. Fucking leeches. Like move to a cheaper area if your rent goes up. That's called capitalism and why people came to this country in the first place. Made this Country great until all these so called "humanitarians" *cough communists* giving people shit for making money for working.

Capitalism making your country great? right.. I laugh everytime I see this. There is so much wrong with your country.

Just look at the examples in this thread. Neighborhoods that have extreme rent, and then just few blocks away is a ghetto thats dangerous to walk trough. 

Pure capitalism have created you a country that is extremely class seperated, with run downed cities and so much homeless people and crime. I live in Sweden, which has been built with a democratic reform-socialism (not the revolutionary kind that never worked) - and yes, we have somewhat high taxes. I make around $5000 month and I get out $3530 after taxes are payed, thats a deduction of 29.6%.

What do I get for this? For one, all our cities are very clean, and you wont ever see any run down houses. That doesnt exist here. We have rent control. I own an apartment, about 90m2 and I pay about $800 for the loan for it, and that would be somewhat in the more expensive segment. And I live downtown in one of the major cities here (Gothenburg). Its a very safe place to live as well, and I have never, ever seen a gun, except on a cop of course or in other countries.

We have free healthcare, so I dont need to pay for an insurance. you do have to pay some - a visit to the hospital would cost you about $30 - and this includes anything. A birth, broken leg, helicopter transport etc. Once you, in a year, payed up to $123, everything will be free. Medicine etc. Thats if you over 18, if your a minor its free.

If I have a child, me and my partner will get 10 days of, payed. Just for the birth. When the child is born, you will get 480 days off payed. You can divided this as you want, or dont use them, except 90 days thats reserved to each parent.

We also have 5 weeks payed vacation, by law. And a minimum wage, that never forces anyone to work more then one job to get by, if you work full-time.

If you get layed off, we have a social security net that will help you out until you get a new job. Daycare cost about $120, but gets subsidized so its basically free. Also, university is free. Actually, when entering university you get a loan from the goverment that you pay back once you have an income (4% per year of total income), so you dont need to work on the side if you dont want to when you study.

There is so much more, great public transportation, strong, independent media, transparent politics, equality, workers right.

I have absolutely no education, but still have a great job.

My costs would be apartment - car loan payment - internet - home insurance. This equals about $1400, and leaves me with $2130 left after taxes and fixed expenses, and I then have all the fruits of a socialists society.   

We have our challenges and faults like any other country, but the capitalist way of the USA you give so hight appraisals of, is nothing I would ever want.   

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:08:02 AM by Mr.Jenkins »

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2018, 02:18:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

please everyone ignore this idiot's posts
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
how am I an idiot?

If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you.

playemright

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:12 AM »
Its funny, basically a switcheroo. People in the hood get section 8 out in the suburbs, and kids from the suburbs move into the hood cause its cheaper. Its a good deal for everyone exept normal people, people in the hood without section 8 are fucked due to rising prices and people in the suburbs are fucked due to hood niggas bringing the values down. I just stay up in the woods and laugh.. Mikey taylor helping the destruction of america lol. 

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
A "decent human being"? By what? Not getting a job and making money? Fuck those slums who can't pay rent because the neighborhood got nicer and more drug and crime free. Fucking leeches. Like move to a cheaper area if your rent goes up. That's called capitalism and why people came to this country in the first place. Made this Country great until all these so called "humanitarians" *cough communists* giving people shit for making money for working.
[close]

Capitalism making your country great? right.. I laugh everytime I see this. There is so much wrong with your country.

Just look at the examples in this thread. Neighborhoods that have extreme rent, and then just few blocks away is a ghetto thats dangerous to walk trough. 

Pure capitalism have created you a country that is extremely class seperated, with run downed cities and so much homeless people and crime. I live in Sweden, which has been built with a democratic reform-socialism (not the revolutionary kind that never worked) - and yes, we have somewhat high taxes. I make around $5000 month and I get out $3530 after taxes are payed, thats a deduction of 29.6%.

What do I get for this? For one, all our cities are very clean, and you wont ever see any run down houses. That doesnt exist here. We have rent control. I own an apartment, about 90m2 and I pay about $800 for the loan for it, and that would be somewhat in the more expensive segment. And I live downtown in one of the major cities here (Gothenburg). Its a very safe place to live as well, and I have never, ever seen a gun, except on a cop of course or in other countries.

We have free healthcare, so I dont need to pay for an insurance. you do have to pay some - a visit to the hospital would cost you about $30 - and this includes anything. A birth, broken leg, helicopter transport etc. Once you, in a year, payed up to $123, everything will be free. Medicine etc. Thats if you over 18, if your a minor its free.

If I have a child, me and my partner will get 10 days of, payed. Just for the birth. When the child is born, you will get 480 days off payed. You can divided this as you want, or dont use them, except 90 days thats reserved to each parent.

We also have 5 weeks payed vacation, by law. And a minimum wage, that never forces anyone to work more then one job to get by, if you work full-time.

If you get layed off, we have a social security net that will help you out until you get a new job. Daycare cost about $120, but gets subsidized so its basically free. Also, university is free. Actually, when entering university you get a loan from the goverment that you pay back once you have an income (4% per year of total income), so you dont need to work on the side if you dont want to when you study.

There is so much more, great public transportation, strong, independent media, transparent politics, equality, workers right.

My costs would be apartment - car loan payment - internet - home insurance. This equals about $1400, and leaves me with $2130 left after taxes and fixed expenses, and I then have all the fruits of a socialists society.   

We have our challenges and faults like any other country, but the capitalist way of the USA you give so hight appraisals of, is nothing I would ever want.   

Hey Jenkins, this unrelated, but I'm curious about Gothenburg. I see it stays rather warm through the winter, so I was wondering if you can skate all winter. Does much snow accumulate? Do you have indoor skate parks, or do you have to skate parking lots/underground?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:31:12 AM by SHIREFLIP »

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2018, 06:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Shut up man. About 90% of the posters here are graphic designers in the USA. You think they wanna hear this shit?

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
how am I an idiot?

You know. Deep down. You know,

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Hey Jenkins, this unrelated, but I'm curious about Gothenburg. I see it stays rather warm through the winter, so I was wondering if you can skate all winter. Does much snow accumulate? Do you have indoor skate parks, or do you have to skate parking lots/underground?

EDIT:
Gothenburg is rainy but rather warm during winter.
There are 2 indoor parks, ive been to Bunkeberget, its pretty cool.