Author Topic: Fixing a Chunked Ledge?  (Read 1835 times)

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
Fixing a Chunked Ledge?
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
Anyone have a good method to fix a chunked out ledge? Was thinking about using a grit brick first. Also it's not quite a spot to put an angle iron since it's on a campus.
Thanks.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Fixing a Chunked Ledge?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 06:34:23 PM »
Anyone have a good method to fix a chunked out ledge? Was thinking about using a grit brick first. Also it's not quite a spot to put an angle iron since it's on a campus.
Thanks.

Assuming “grit brick” and “rub brick” are synonymous, you’re doing good.  It’s a good way to even out small chunks.  You can then either spray on lacquer or paint it, then a couple coats of wax. 

I’ve heard of people using bondo to fill in really large chunks but I’ve never tried it myself. 

I don’t know if this will be applicable to what you’re doing, but Ben degros made a really good video about fixing up ledges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwkS39cRPRs&feature=share

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:36:10 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks.
[close]

Assuming “grit brick” and “rub brick” are synonymous, you’re doing good.  It’s a good way to even out small chunks.  You can then either spray on lacquer or paint it, then a couple coats of wax. 

I’ve heard of people using bondo to fill in really large chunks but I’ve never tried it myself. 

I don’t know if this will be applicable to what you’re doing, but Ben degros made a really good video about fixing up ledges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwkS39cRPRs&feature=share

Thanks for the detailed response, I'd gnar you if I could. I just have to keep it pretty lowkey since it's at a semi busy spot on my campus. But I think a rub brick and a couple coats of wax will be enough to bring it back to life.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
Cool man, good luck!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Bondo or steel Stik epoxy putty, then coat it with salba sauce

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 03:32:38 AM »
Do you use wax you buy from skate shops or parafin/gulf wax from the grocery store?
Anyone notice any difference, other than the price?
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:15:19 AM »
Do you use wax you buy from skate shops or parafin/gulf wax from the grocery store?
Anyone notice any difference, other than the price?

I just mix paraffin and beeswax to make skate wax.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
The best way I have found is to use an angle grinder, but that is very loud and will attract a lot of attention. On the flip side it is a lot faster than a Rub Brick so you could maybe knock it out in 10-20 minutes opposed to an hour or more. It depends how chunked out it is, if its not terrible taking the chunks off, and then using a quick dry clear coat works the best. Put a few coats for the best results, I've done this to several brand new ledge spots/curbs and if done proper they grind better than angle iron.