Author Topic: Yeah Right! was released in 2003. What do you think about it today?  (Read 17847 times)

SonictheHedgehog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: Yeah Right! was released in 2003. What do you think about it today?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 05:26:54 PM »
I am legitimately astounded there are people who didn't like this video.

It's probably older dudes who hated it when it came out and just never get a chance.

One of my first videos, and still one of my favorites. Nothing to say that hasn't been said already- except Gino's part is the reason I'm still skating today.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
Better than Mouse. An all-time favorite of mine, and a highlight in an era full of great skate videos.

Super fun to watch. Full parts from Carroll, Gino, MJ, BA, Koston, McCrank, and Robbie McKinley. Plenty of Kenny Anderson and Rick Howard footage. The few skits included were funny. Great music, for the most part. Back when Ty was using VX and made skate videos for skaters.

It's not perfect, but I'd say it's arguably the last great video from the Crailtap camp.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Plop

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 05:45:01 PM »
The invisible board part was mind blowing when it first came out.

Also, I'm glad I have the DVD with the original soundtrack. The second issue soundtrack was kind of lame.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
When it came out I thought it was too long, and a bit too emo Transworldy. Bunch of new dudes I wasn't feeling. Several really bad music choices (but that's subjective), too many skits. I barely even made it through the first viewing, and probably never watched it end to end again after that. Obviously, the skating was nuts.

Maybe I should watch the whole thing again, all these years later, and see if it's aged well. Still, I'd love a complete re-edit that's half as long with a bunch of the randos axed.

Girl was basically the gold standard for me until Yeah Right came out. After that they unfortunately had a very 'pop culture/hot topic' sort of vibe going on that seemed too cheesy for me. I still respect Girl/Chocolate, just haven't been into their full length videos or most of their products since the late 90's.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »
i think its by all rights a classic. my friends that dont skate have sat through this with me, exes too. its all around solid.

probably swap my cords to the vcr tonight and have a marathon of classics before this hurricane potentially fucks my power for a week

sup with the alternate songs/edits? any of them up on youtube/worth a damn?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
BA and Gino's parts are a constant in my YouTube skate video wormhole rotation. Good video but too long to watch in it's entirety. Also the last Girl video that gave me the impression that everyone plays basketball in between filming. I miss pickup basketball Girl lol.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:57:19 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »
I thought about photoshopping Dill's mannequin and a wallet into the scene where Koston flips out about getting robbed.

That's what I thought about it today.

Backheels

• Rep: -160
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
We get it about kostons song, fucking echo chamber in here. It's the 2nd best skate video of all time only behind stay gold, and absolute and undeniable masterpiece.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »
I actually popped it in and watched it recently. A lot of the parts have aged fairly well, and the skits are fun enough to not be annoying. But man, it feels really long. I appreciated this when I was younger when videos weren't available by the dozens, but hour long videos are kind of a doozy.

Most of the full parts are classics in their own right though. MJ's part might be my favorite part of his whole career.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
It's crazy how many people in this video were cool and then turned into idiots immediately after. Legendary video and time capsule.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
It was the first skate video I bought on DVD when it first came out and it blew my mind. I loved Mike York and MJ’s part. And Eldridge. Fuck. The whole thing was great. I always thought the worst song was McCrank skating to Bikini Kill but it didn’t effect how rad his part was. I still had the original copy I bought in 03 until a couple years ago. I let a buddy borrow it and a couple other classics and a few weeks later he od’d on heroin and I never saw them. Don’t do heroin

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
best montage ever

the music was created specifically for this segment iirc. adam spiegel right?

rickk switch nose manual or nosegrind at the end there (in the yellow tee)? always bothered me but never enough to ask

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 698
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
McCrank won first place in this video.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
I met a man
He was a good man
Sailing and shoring
Dancing the beta can-can...
ableSkateMag.com

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »

Smokie Brewton

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
A definite classic. Some of BA's best footage. McCrank's part is amazing. I always wished that he had landed that tailslide on the glass rail. Also, I don't know who said that he skated to Bikini Kill but it's been Le Tigre in any version I've seen.
Lipslides are expensive

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »
One of the best videos of all time. Still pop it into the vcr for nostalgia. Fuckin Mike York, Robbie Mckinley, Rick McCrank get me so hyped to skate.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
Best video ever in my opinion. My favorite part is Rob McKinley skating on talib kwaly beat, dude skates super fast and got a clean style.

MJ and BA songs changed skate song game. We saw a lort of Interpol and David Bowie after that.
MJ skated to Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. Plus, Arto skated to Bowie a bit prior in Sorry. The only MJ part I can remember that is Bowie is in Pretty Sweet.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
Was Gino edited to anything else besides GnR and Bowie? I feel like I have seen an edit with instrumental hip hop or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I prefer Mouse but I liked this video a lot when it came out... but the skits, while novel, felt a little too corny to me.

I always liked the Pixies so I didn’t mind Koston’s song and it felt pretty fitting since he was king of LA at that time. Social media ruined that fool but holy fuck he was so good during this era.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

sultsult

• Rep: -12
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 08:07:22 PM »
Came out at the perfect time for me (15 years old).. I was kinda a Zero/Toy kid before, but Gino's part (as well as Dill in Mosiac) changed how I looked at skating forever. Also got me looking back into the classics (Gino in Trilogy, Carroll in Questionable, Guy in Mouse etc.)

Shuh

• Rep: 6
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
Are we not gonna talk about that skit?

hangontoyourego

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
I met a man
He was a good man
Sailing and shoring

I can’t belive the hatred for this song . I was so stoked koston skated to Frank black .

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
I knew I'd get kooked for being honest about it.  ;D

Mike York skating to Funkadelic was dope. I'm sure I liked whatever Jeron, Carroll and Howard had in there, but I honestly don't remember it well. Time for a re-watch.

It's an era thing though, guys, don't sweat it. 40+ skaters are more likely to hold Mouse up as the pinnacle. Yeah Right is an amazing video, but it was the start of a new era of Girl/Chocolate that was a departure from the vibe/aesthetic I liked.

What else came out at the same time?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1269
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I met a man
He was a good man
Sailing and shoring
[close]

I can’t belive the hatred for this song . I was so stoked koston skated to Frank black .

Man you think you know people, right? Frank Black with Faith No More arrangements. I back it.

Mattchew, the Gino part was edited to 3 separate songs. GnR It's So Easy, Bowie Blue Jean or the Covergirls Show Me. All the songs are great and each edit works so pick one or watch all three. I like the Covergirls edit because it gives me East Coast burbs all ages dance club vibes.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 683
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
they only used koston's song because of the emotional ending, which worked well.

the skatrix is horrible.

awesome video.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:53 PM »
i really liked it, but i was the perfect age. carroll was my fav part, i think the song really helped, but then again, it is carroll. i remember it and bootleg 3000 went up on #sk8videos on the same weekend(im pretty sure) and both prod and pete eldridge skated to nas - made you look instrumental.

Plop

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
sup with the alternate songs/edits? any of them up on youtube/worth a damn?

These ones are bonus re-edits on the OG dvd, but they have unused/unseen footage in em, that's worth a watch. chico/jesus one is sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kWeYcBFEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6trIoFq_I

ManMelt

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 12:19:41 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZF4ytQU6ck

best montage ever

Love this montage. Slow build-up to Guy’s one and only banger. Jeron’s switch tre to switch heel line over the LA river gap. Rudy and Tony Rone’s swan song. Kickflip back tail the gap at Kwon Orthodontics deserves a high five and a smile. Then Rickk shuts it down. I get goose bumps when those violins kick in. Switch nose manny to drop off in NYC as the bus drives by. Classic.

As a whole, probably my favorite video of all time. I’ve always been such a huge Crail fan and I felt like they reached their pinnacle at this point. Everything had been building up to this, and it was such a great time for the brand and crew. Biebel skating to Apollo Kids Instumental was the ultimate lead in to BA’s pretty much perfect part. His striped-sweater crooks and back tail are burned into my brain. York killed it soo hard, but kind of fell off a year later in Hot Chocolate. Big up to Sherm skating to The King of Pop, while wearing those brown and gum DVS’s. You gotta take your hat off to Gino, backside 360 to manual down the Rosalyn Banks? Robbie McKinley left Blind to skate for Girl, even though a lot of his footage from this time went to the DC video. CHOC montage was on point with Bowie and Fame, and providing us Kenny Anderson’s debut with the squad. Crob’s 5-0 and nosegrind in front of the Santa Monica Courthouse were insane. Carroll proved once again why he was SOTY in ‘94. He’s a born killer. PRod slayed Sylmar and skated like a man, but I thought the Nas instrumental worked better in Pete Eldridge’s Bootleg closer, which came out the same year.  MJ could have used a less popular Joy Division song, but his 3 trick line down the consecutive 3 stair in OZ was all time, even though he was riding an Enjoi board. McCrank and Le Tigre were a match made in heaven, marking his introduction as Girl’s 4th Canadian pro. Koston was God back then and he closed this video properly. His nollie back noseblunt down Arco and treflip noseblunt in Santa Barbra stood out to me. I actually like his song, but I’m a Black Francis fan. I watched him film that nose slide down the curvy rail in Philly. It was right after the X games at City Hall. Even the credits were sick. Long-haired freaky people, need not apply.
Overall, a timeless classic that should be regarded as one of the best ever, along with Video Day’s, Visual Sound, and Penal Code.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Love this montage. Slow build-up to Guy’s one and only banger. Jeron’s switch tre to switch heel line over the LA river gap. Rudy and Tony Rone’s swan song. Kickflip back tail the gap at Kwon Orthodontics deserves a high five and a smile. Then Rickk shuts it down. I get goose bumps when those violins kick in. Switch nose manny to drop off in NYC as the bus drives by. Classic.

As a whole, probably my favorite video of all time. I’ve always been such a huge Crail fan and I felt like they reached their pinnacle at this point. Everything had been building up to this, and it was such a great time for the brand and crew. Biebel skating to Apollo Kids Instumental was the ultimate lead in to BA’s pretty much perfect part. His striped-sweater crooks and back tail are burned into my brain. York killed it soo hard, but kind of fell off a year later in Hot Chocolate. Big up to Sherm skating to The King of Pop, while wearing those brown and gum DVS’s. You gotta take your hat off to Gino, backside 360 to manual down the Rosalyn Banks? Robbie McKinley left Blind to skate for Girl, even though a lot of his footage from this time went to the DC video. CHOC montage was on point with Bowie and Fame, and providing us Kenny Anderson’s debut with the squad. Crob’s 5-0 and nosegrind in front of the Santa Monica Courthouse were insane. Carroll proved once again why he was SOTY in ‘94. He’s a born killer. PRod slayed Sylmar and skated like a man, but I thought the Nas instrumental worked better in Pete Eldridge’s Bootleg closer, which came out the same year.  MJ could have used a less popular Joy Division song, but his 3 trick line down the consecutive 3 stair in OZ was all time, even though he was riding an Enjoi board. McCrank and Le Tigre were a match made in heaven, marking his introduction as Girl’s 4th Canadian pro. Koston was God back then and he closed this video properly. His nollie back noseblunt down Arco and treflip noseblunt in Santa Barbra stood out to me. I actually like his song, but I’m a Black Francis fan. I watched him film that nose slide down the curvy rail in Philly. It was right after the X games at City Hall. Even the credits were sick. Long-haired freaky people, need not apply.
Overall, a timeless classic that should be regarded as one of the best ever, along with Video Day’s, Visual Sound, and Penal Code.

Hi Megan!