Author Topic: Yeah Right! was released in 2003. What do you think about it today?  (Read 17837 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: Yeah Right! was released in 2003. What do you think about it today?
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
One of my favorite videos ever, every part is sick. There's so many great tricks throughout the entire video, but highlights that I can think of off of the top of my head are Gino's big backside flip over the picnic table planter thing and Koston's barrage of tricks on the LA High rail.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
i remember calling the shop every day for probably two weeks asking "do you guys have yeah right yet?" and begging my mom to drive me up when the day finally came.

there were songs i didn't like when i first watched it, but now im pretty sure i love them all. i absolutely HATED mccranks song at first. and whoever said it was bikini kill isn't completely wrong. kathleen hanna sang in both bands. recently i contemplated going to see interpol live and i wanted to make a shirt with a still frame of BA with a bloody chin or the fakie varial flip just to see how many people would say something. i know their first album is considered a classic by many, but i feel like a hell of a lot of skateboarders are responsible for that album spreading. almost every single local video for the next few years had an interpol song on it.

so many good parts, but god damn koston delivered on his. i went into it wanting to not like it because he was "the best" and what shitty 15 year old doesn't get off on hating whats good? that part was absolutely ridiculous. song was great and fit perfect too. that part to me will always be peak koston.

i also gotta agree with whoever said they were let down by prod. his part isnt bad by any standards, but he blew my mind in in bloom and i definitely had my expectations a little too high for yeah right.

its probably the video ive watched the most and definitely one id want to have if i were stuck on a desert island. 10/10 classic in my opinion.

Tortoise

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Best of the 2000s.

Tortoise

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »

I, too, prefer my videos to be wrought with skits, filmed almost exclusively in California schoolyards, and feature no more than a handful of proper full parts (one of which belongs to Ben fucking Sanchez).

I still love Mouse, but Welcome To Hell was the better video of that time.

However, the skits were fun.

https://youtu.be/D1Qz-zsh8Xg

There were full parts too.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1247
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
I feel differently about certain parts now than I did then.  Especially Carroll and Gino’s parts.  I would fast forward past their parts occasionally, but now they are my favorites along with BA.

I rewatched Rick McCrank part and it shocked me how I had forgotten just how huge he was going around that time.  Liked the Le Tigre song at the time, bought the cd.  Now I am physically incapable of listening to it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
Keenan:'(
Intro part 1 - Still like it, little long. Iffy song.
Intro part 2 - Gets me hyped!!! Spiffy song!
Biebel - Young, before he got thicc. Great part. Line at 9:38 shows why he was put on Girl at the time. Switch Front heel down that set was immaculate.
Ghost board skit - Forgot about that. Fun, but like a wu-tang skit, you just wish it would go away after a couple of views.
BA - His best part. Excellent song. Should not have left Girl.
MJ - Never disappoints. Backlip into the bank! Line @ 20:13 (loading dock) 8). Joy Division!
Chocolate Montage - Dope. Johnston! That krook Kenny did at USC. Bowie
York - Mike is definitely the coolest dude that would buy weed from my buddy in SF in '97. Dunno about a Switch Crook on a bench as a stand alone trick. in 2003? Still can't hate on this dude. Love him.
Eldridge - Didn't he seem like the next big thing after this part? Kinda fizzled out.
Gino - What else is there left to say? Top 5 part ever in skateboarding.
Wilson skit - Excellent to watch? Yes, to this day. Excellent for a tattoo? The jury is still out.
McKinley - Nollie front 3 over the garbage can at speed. If he stayed on Blind, he probably would've went pro.
Girl Montage - About as Ty Evans as you can get: Portraits, Slow mo birds, Overdramatic Electronica. Tony Fergusson's swan song. The only Mariano trick we saw for a full decade. Rick's ender is amazing.
P-Rod - 2 killer tunes. His best style. Start your own company, sure. Leave for Plan B, no. Bummer.
Jeremy Rogers - Never.Gave.2.Shits.About.This.Robot.
Carroll - Fakie to hurricane. Skates fast. Sick flick. He should mentioned with Koston, Reynolds etc. Rarely is.
McCrank - So much talent. He's a machine. Finally gets a good song. Style is even better on tranny.
Invisible boards skit - cute. enough already.
Koston - Stealing Wallets = Suppressive Person yo. Opening line is his answer to Reynolds line in TIS. (Reynolds won) Typical insane Koston part. 360 flip NB was a proper ender when an ender was a fucking ENDER. THE FRANK BLACK SONG RULES YOU FUCKING PHILISTINES. Don't @ me.

I love this video.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:34:49 PM by Robert Baratheon »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
   Happy that this is not one of the best vids or top ten or any of that shit cause it's not.   Jesus.
[close]

you are insane and it absolutely is
[close]
  Shit dude this is skateboarding.  Theres been alot of good vids.   -There's 411's I'd rather watch-   I loved Mouse.  That one has a good vibe instead of the corny shit vibe but go toward the art you prefer I guess.
[close]
I, too, prefer my videos to be wrought with skits, filmed almost exclusively in California schoolyards, and feature no more than a handful of proper full parts (one of which belongs to Ben fucking Sanchez).
  "proper full parts"  -oh sorry about the un proper ness fella.  If you want to go by what it is on paper then mouse is one thing but if you watch it and have a soul its more then the sum of parts you listed.   Mouse might be hands down my favorite vid ever.   And your bringing up skits when yeah right's attempt at comedy was a shit bomb with green screens and the ultra fucking stupid "yeah right" quote repeated endlessly.  It was the begining of the end with crail.  Jesus!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2607
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2018, 01:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
   Happy that this is not one of the best vids or top ten or any of that shit cause it's not.   Jesus.
[close]

you are insane and it absolutely is
[close]
  Shit dude this is skateboarding.  Theres been alot of good vids.   -There's 411's I'd rather watch-   I loved Mouse.  That one has a good vibe instead of the corny shit vibe but go toward the art you prefer I guess.
[close]

Thank god for Yeah Right, which has absolutely no skits, only 70% Cali footage, and a full part from *checks notes* Justin Eldridge.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
  Okay there SLAP -mouse sucks huh?  Wait.   -You sure you guys aren't retards?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
"I was born in 1980 and I like Mouse more your opinion sucks I hate you"

"I was born in 1990 and I like Yeah Right more your opinion sucks I hate you"

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

/thread

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »

York - Mike is definitely the coolest dude that would buy weed from my buddy in SF in '97. Dunno about a Switch Crook on a bench as a stand alone trick. in 2003? Still can't hate on this dude. Love him.

I love this video.

Where was this trick? I think you're confused

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

/thread
  Fair enough. 

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote

I love this video.
[close]

27:07. I should have said ledge. And not switch.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I love this video.
[close]

[close]

What are you fuckin thick???

Tortoise

« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2018, 03:27:27 PM »

"Crailtap was never good." "IT'S DECLINING!"

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
Same thoughts I had when I was a kid.

Brian Anderson and Interpol was very nice to see and hear.
Rick McCranks part was the best in the video.
I didn't care much for Kostons part but the tre flip noseblunt was ridiculous.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
Biebel - Young, before he got thicc. Great part. Line at 9:38 shows why he was put on Girl at the time. Switch Front heel down that set was immaculate.
Ghost board skit - Forgot about that. Fun, but like a wu-tang skit, you just wish it would go away after a couple of views.
MJ - Never disappoints. Backlip into the bank! Line @ 20:13 (loading dock) 8). Joy Division!
Eldridge - Didn't he seem like the next big thing after this part? Kinda fizzled out.
Wilson skit - Excellent to watch? Yes, to this day. Excellent for a tattoo? The jury is still out.
McKinley - Nollie front 3 over the garbage can at speed. If he stayed on Blind, he probably would've went pro.
Girl Montage - About as Ty Evans as you can get: Portraits, Slow mo birds, Overdramatic Electronica. Tony Fergusson's swan song. The only Mariano trick we saw for a full decade. Rick's ender is amazing.
P-Rod - 2 killer tunes. His best style. Start your own company, sure. Leave for Plan B, no. Bummer.
Carroll - Fakie to hurricane. Skates fast. Sick flick. He should mentioned with Koston, Reynolds etc. Rarely is.
McCrank - So much talent. He's a machine. Finally gets a good song. Style is even better on tranny.
Koston - Stealing Wallets = Suppressive Person yo. Opening line is his answer to Reynolds line in TIS. (Reynolds won) Typical insane Koston part. 360 flip NB was a proper ender when an ender was a fucking ENDER. THE FRANK BLACK SONG RULES YOU FUCKING PHILISTINES. Don't @ me.

I love this video.
Nice break down but you're blowing it.  This came out months before tis.

billyerlife

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Crailtap was never good." "IT'S DECLINING!"

They are both awesome, but I was born in the mid-eighties so I suppose the model still fits. I also agree with those saying this video marks the decline, but that's what happens at the peak.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I love this video.
[close]

[close]

[close]

What are you fuckin thick???

Sorry. 27:08 you sloppy excuse for a cunt.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote

I love this video.
[close]
Nice break down but you're blowing it.  This came out months before tis.

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
Although the video was already stupid long I never understood why Ty didn't give Jeron Wilson a full part, he had 20 clips. With some Ty Evanisms like lifestyle shots and slow mo theres a solid 3 minute part.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
awesome video.. just rewatched with my girlfriend the other night. i thought it was a skate video she would actually be able to sit through

so many stand outs BA, MJ, Koston, mcranker.. Keenan's part is awesome. love the chocolate montages

i was so stoked on the slow mo intro when i was a kid. i had never seen anything like that before
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
for anyone hating on this video or saying it's not in the top 10 greatest ever maybe you didn't see the part where carroll skates to scarface?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2018, 05:32:24 PM »

gaileaduffel

« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2018, 05:37:47 PM »
i just wished keenan hadnt passed

stevie had a part

sheffey, shamille, and jovontae had footy

and more ledge prod

i see why old heads dont fuck with it like they fuck with mouse

but i thought and think its the best video ever made EVER

rick mccrank is a fucking ICON

Tortoise

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

This video marks the decline.

Honestly, I understand Crailtap has made a lot of changes since then. Team changes, riders get older, new stuff happening. "It's so illogical!" you may think.

However, This claim is the one that really drives me nuts. Skateboarding is for the most part can be anything it wants to be. Skaters can think and act on everything and you know what human beings are not logical.

People are impulsive, they make choices based on emotion. Not everyone thinks exactly the same, and also people make mistakes

You know like in Star Trek, Vulcans live dominated by logic and it's established that acting logically is at odds with acting human so if everyone acted totally logically all the time only making the most logical decision in any situation.

No one would be acting human thus there would be no conflict which would lead to no growth which would lead to no different and original.

Yes, Crailtap has changed, for some, better and for some, worse

The thing is, what else hasn't been changed? Baker, Emerica, Birdhouse, Blind, Vans, Real, Krooked, Creature, Heroin, Thrasher, Transworld, etc. and they're not "declining".

Crailtap isn't on a "decline". Their formula is being updated to modern standards, and they're still alive. The Flare is a great video. They're fine.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »

I watched this video before I really knew tricks or what they meant.

So this moment was like a lightning bolt hitting the tip of my penis.

Even now it makes me want to skate.
B.A helped solidify what I already knew.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »
mouse was one of the first videos i saw as a kid, so i couldn’t wait for yeah right to come out. i tried to be caught up to a lot of the teams’ past video parts. i even got emotional during keenan’s section.  :'( video blew me away.

don’t think i’ve seen anyone mention the skatrix section, but i could see why.

still a bigger fan of p-rod & jereme’s parts in street cinema & pjlwhl, and sad to see tony ferguson go.

i could still watch the video through, but still, mouse does make me wanna skate more.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78