Poll

Is pushing down a hillbomb jockish?

-Yea, pretty much. I mean, we get it man -- you're sooo gnarly that you need to take extra pushes just to satsify your stoke! Gerwer doesn't need it!
25 (20%)
-Nah, poosey. I wanna see someone hit 88 mph in a dalorean type of shit! No guts, no glory, bro!
26 (20.8%)
-Doing it either way is still gnarly; Still gets my respect.
74 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: September 11, 2018, 12:21:17 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Is pushing down a hillbomb jockish?  (Read 5856 times)

Get the strap

Re: Poll: Is pushing down a hillbomb jockish?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 03:36:43 PM »
I could actually see where OP is coming from, it could maybe be seen as show-offish, but in the case of both sean young and the GX guys they are just trying to go as fast as possible for adrenaline.

I'm with you. If you take this thread literally it is, but jockish just seems like a substitute word. I don't know what you would call it though, more like crazy than jockish. Take that famous Grewer clip for example in SF where he drops in off some some wall, bombs the hill, then powerslides on his ass for like 1/2 a block and slides under a car. So he was supposed to push down the hill? Don't think so. Sorry that sounds so cringy...but I do get what everyone is saying for pushing on a hill....but I don't know about a hill "bomb". I don't think that's been done, almost seems as unnatural as pushing doing the loop. Or the Nuge world record hill bomb in LA, he could have pushed?

Surf-goth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -676
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I could actually see where OP is coming from, it could maybe be seen as show-offish, but in the case of both sean young and the GX guys they are just trying to go as fast as possible for adrenaline.
[close]

I'm with you. If you take this thread literally it is, but jockish just seems like a substitute word. I don't know what you would call it though, more like crazy than jockish. Take that famous Grewer clip for example in SF where he drops in off some some wall, bombs the hill, then powerslides on his ass for like 1/2 a block and slides under a car. So he was supposed to push down the hill? Don't think so. Sorry that sounds so cringy...but I do get what everyone is saying for pushing on a hill....but I don't know about a hill "bomb". I don't think that's been done, almost seems as unnatural as pushing doing the loop. Or the Nuge world record hill bomb in LA, he could have pushed?
Post the gerwer clip
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
I can't imagine pushing down a hill, I can rarely stay on while bombing a hill, to me its impressive.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 05:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Post the gerwer clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK72M9JwBvA

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Jockish is a terrible word.

if anything it would be Street league and that shit that is jockish, pushing down a hill is just straight gnar/sillyness on equal measure.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »
Just want to remind everybody that nobody claiming pushing down hills is jockish actually skates hills and is looking for an excuse why doing raw shit they’ll never try isn’t cool. Its VERY TRANSPARENT, kooks.

Jockish is a terrible word.

if anything it would be Street league and that shit that is jockish, pushing down a hill is just straight gnar/sillyness on equal measure.
Yup, you don’t win anything, you don’t get points, its not sports related at all. Bowl skating, rail skating, stair skating, ledge skating all could be just training for street league or the vans bowl series. There’s no downhill shortboard league.

And all the people saying its “show offy,” welcome to skateboarding, where every kid who has ever kickflipped a set of stairs has posted it on the internet.
If you are going to call out somebody for being a show off:
call out all of instagram,
call out anybody who does a fliptrick down stairs instead of just ollieing it, as a flip trick is show offy, all he had to do was ollie
Call out anybody who does a 5-0 instead of a 5050, since balancing on that one truck is show offy
Call out any fucking manual, them shits are just impractical...why roll on two wheels when you can roll on four?

Skateboarding as all about being a show off, why do you kooks suddenly think its an issue when its pushing down a hill, which actually has a practical purpose?
Look back to the top of my response for the answer, kooks.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Fred Savage

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
Shut the fuck up gipper

doublesteveburger

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
Only core if you don’t push up-hill. All these up-river down-hillers with their bravado up the whazoo.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Shut the fuck up gipper
But your entire account is made specifically to be obsessed with me...then what would you do?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Only if you get tackled.

Seriously though, Lee Yankou

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »
I'm fucking convinced some of you do not skateboard. You banter like fan-nerds at a comic-con.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 12:43:55 AM »
I push on ramps.....

bo bice

• Rep: 76
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
Fellas: is it gay to land your tricks? I mean, you’re jumping and then landing on a deck, just saying. You know what, this should be a separate thread, hang on lemme make a poll

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
landing fakie is racist

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I push on ramps.....
[close]

I push uphill...
I don’t. If I’m on even a mild uphill I snap that board right up in my hand and walk.

thebacker

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I push on ramps.....
[close]

I push uphill...
[close]
I don’t. If I’m on even a mild uphill I snap that board right up in my hand and walk.

CONFIRMED POOOOOSEY

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:00 AM »

Alright, guys! Good D. Good D (discussion). I made this poll out of fun, mostly. To me, it depends on the steepness of the hill: if it's way steep and you're pushing on the flat before it, or during the first quarter of the hill (or even at the bottom) -- you're possibly kookin' in. Jockish/showy-offish has similarly defined qualities to me, however I'll reserve my personal opinions.

I probably should have gotten rid of the safe option in the poll, being that it looks closely split, but whatev's. & for those wondering, Chet Childress is more of my Fred Gall than Gall himself, sooo...

It's official:

WE AS A SKATEBOARD COMMUNITY ELECT TO RECOGNIZE THE ISSUE OF PUSHING vs NON-PUSHING, A NON-FACTOR IN THE ACCEPTABILITY STANDARDS of DOWNHILL SKATEBOARDING.

Be free to rip as you see fit, my brothas! Just be careful out there.