Author Topic: relocating to portland  (Read 1711 times)

GrandPUNCH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
relocating to portland
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
My wife and i might move out there with in the next few months. Any tips/advice, sick areas to live in, sketchy shit. General things. Looking for apartments will be tuff without barely any knowledge

Only been out there once. slept at burnside the first night had a blast.

WhiteClydeSingleton

Re: relocating to portland
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Oregon in general is extremely expensive. I live in salem, an hour south of portland, and you cant find a studio apartment for less than 1000 a month. Lower northeast portland is sketchy as fuck. The traffic is also worse than anywhere in the country. There is a feeling like everywhere you go is very overpopulated. There are a bunch of sick parks around the state though. There's also a huge amount of kooks.

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
Go to Astoria instead. It’s cheaper. It’s more scenic. There are less people. The town is pretty cool. There is a pretty decent park there. If you live in town you can get by without a car no problem. I lived there for four years. It’s two hours from Portland. Portland is a cool place to spend like a weekend. Living there seems awful. Good luck!

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:19:19 AM »
loved living in pdx, were some of the best years.

you probably want to live on the east side of the river, downtown is expensive. try looking in woodstock, foster powell, around 82nd and outer NE/north portland for cheaper places.

don't really know what else you want to know, portland has a ton of stuff going on.

don't let people who haven't lived in pdx goon you about how expensive it is. it's not that bad, and its certainly better than seattle, sf or la. plus pdx is fucking rad.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
around 82nd and outer NE/north portland for cheaper places.

Plus Chinatown/most Asian businesses essentially moved out this way, so some of the best food is here.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Not Local

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
Go to Astoria instead. It’s cheaper. It’s more scenic. There are less people. The town is pretty cool. There is a pretty decent park there. If you live in town you can get by without a car no problem. I lived there for four years. It’s two hours from Portland. Portland is a cool place to spend like a weekend. Living there seems awful. Good luck!

I love Astoria also (maybe one of the wettest places in the lower 48?) but if you're a skateboarder its pointless to compare it to Portland.

WhiteClydeSingleton

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
I'm super stoked on oregon. It really is a wonderful place to be a skater... but there are way better places. If skating was my primary motivation for a move, i dunno about a place that rains almost nonstop, with no indoor parks, for 8 months a year...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
It in fact does not rain nonstop for 8 months. When I lived there, I skated outside during the winter more often than when I lived in Nebraska.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »
Portland is not expensive at all, its cheaper than almost any major city on either coast so not sure why that got mentioned.  Also Portland is probably the least sketchy American city I have ever been to in my entire life (full disclosure, I'm white-experiences as a non white dude may vary), so don't worry about that either.  Go have fun.  Know that it rains like everyday if it isn't the summer.

GrandPUNCH

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
fuck yeah guys big help. keep it going.

Not Local

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:58 PM »
I'll echo Foster Powell. Up and coming area but still somewhat affordable and really still close to inner Portland and good transport, bike options to get wherever you want.