Author Topic: Pedro Delfino Welcome to Deathwish  (Read 14868 times)

mclovin1336

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
Re: Pedro Delfino Welcome to Deathwish
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
he 100% got knocked out in that first slam, that's like textbook fencing response.

he reminds me a ton of omar salazar.

had the same thought (thoug he's a little less hectic) - whats omar up to these days?

Pigeon

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 12:56:50 AM »
I want to support Deathwish but they have nothing I want to buy. Their clothes are embarrassing and any board from 8-8.25” is 31.5”

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 01:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote
he 100% got knocked out in that first slam, that's like textbook fencing response.

he reminds me a ton of omar salazar.
[close]

had the same thought (thoug he's a little less hectic) - whats omar up to these days?

Skating for Doomsayers, supposed to have some footy in Thomas Campbells film Ye Olde Destruction.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 03:14:38 AM »
Florida as a state is the rightful SOTY imo

Watch out for Florida Man.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

thomas kook

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 03:28:37 AM »
really didn't enjoy this part. some tricks were good and he looks like a nice kid but he skates like he won't make it to 30 and it gives me anxiety... i'm a pussy

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2018, 03:48:06 AM »
Crazy!
His do or die attitude towards tricks and rawness reminds me of Trainwreck.
Deathwish indeed.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2018, 04:10:39 AM »
gnar part, but seeing him blackout is fucked up, like everyone else already said ...

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 05:31:29 AM »

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2018, 06:10:34 AM »
I hope this means that more of those dudes from that "Variety Vol. 1" clip gets hooked up. Alec Spinosi, Will Gomez and Josh Douglas need to get hooked up asap

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

shit_for_brains

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 06:38:45 AM »
I felt like he could be on Anti Hero. Or the video had Anti Hero vibes. Gnarly though.

He was maybe flow or getting boards or whatever before this. He's one of Foy's Boys® so enter Deathwish.

Little Debbie

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:29 AM »
are baker and deathwish the only "classic" teams where people pay attention to who gets on?
yes

every other classic board brand has kooked it somehow. ok, maybe not Toy.

IHOP

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
Expand Quote
are baker and deathwish the only "classic" teams where people pay attention to who gets on?
[close]
yes

every other classic board brand has kooked it somehow. ok, maybe not Toy.

Toy definitely has

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
too bad he won't wear a helmet. i get it, image means a lot and its hard to worry about tomorrow when you're young and crushing life. but he will surely regret it if he lives into middle age and beyond. feels awful watching him get wrecked like that
[close]
I fucking hate people who don’t actually care about the person slamming pontificating about how he should wear a helmet
[close]

What about slothflip's statement makes it seem like he doesn't care? Does he have to personally know him to wish he would skate safely? With that recent Jenkem article coming out, slams like that aren't anything I want to see nor do I wish them to be glorified. Makes me sick that young kids will look at this being portrayed as cool.
The fact that he doesn’t know him. Also, saying “he should have worn a helmet” AFTER a slam is just arrogant pontificating that helps nobody. Its just a way to talk shit to a guy willing to do something you wouldn’t, and that you just supported by watching.

Helmetless slams in skateboarding are nothing new, and aren’t going away. If you don’t like seeing it, stop watching skate videos, kooks. Lecturing a guy about how he should live his life is so fucking lame.

Y’all are pussies, let the man skate.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
I find the responses in here refreshing, opposed to say UFC fans who would be cheering the very loudest as the dude was whacking his brain into oblivion. The risk/reward filter doesn't seem to be there. And this is another reason Phelps should just go away at this point. This feels like something he would overhype and reward with SOTYY over some super creative/lower risk Evan Smith part or something.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »
I find the responses in here refreshing, opposed to say UFC fans who would be cheering the very loudest as the dude was whacking his brain into oblivion. The risk/reward filter doesn't seem to be there. And this is another reason Phelps should just go away at this point. This feels like something he would overhype and reward with SOTYY over some super creative/lower risk Evan Smith part or something.

Evan Smith still does pretty high risk stuff, just in a more elegant way.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
reminds me of this time I went to a diy punk show and the dude dove off the stage and fell through to crack his head on the floor
he's bleeding like crazy takes his tee shirt off and wraps in around his head
the blood soaks through the tee shirt and he starts smacking himself in the head with his mic
I had to leave that show, but it felt the same in my stomach as when I saw Pedro's slam and his eyes rolling around in that first clip

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
too bad he won't wear a helmet. i get it, image means a lot and its hard to worry about tomorrow when you're young and crushing life. but he will surely regret it if he lives into middle age and beyond. feels awful watching him get wrecked like that
[close]
I fucking hate people who don’t actually care about the person slamming pontificating about how he should wear a helmet
[close]

What about slothflip's statement makes it seem like he doesn't care? Does he have to personally know him to wish he would skate safely? With that recent Jenkem article coming out, slams like that aren't anything I want to see nor do I wish them to be glorified. Makes me sick that young kids will look at this being portrayed as cool.
[close]
The fact that he doesn’t know him. Also, saying “he should have worn a helmet” AFTER a slam is just arrogant pontificating that helps nobody. Its just a way to talk shit to a guy willing to do something you wouldn’t, and that you just supported by watching.

Helmetless slams in skateboarding are nothing new, and aren’t going away. If you don’t like seeing it, stop watching skate videos, kooks. Lecturing a guy about how he should live his life is so fucking lame.

How is anyone supposed to know what this video was going to show before watching it? He's reacting to what he saw. And if he's advocating for safer skating, how is that anything to knock? He didn't come off as arrogant, he sounded concerned.

Don't act as though slams like this are common across the entire skate video medium. When was the last time you saw a video where someone was knocked out, eyes rolled into the back of the head twice in a 4 minute span? That's excessive, dangerous, and being glorified to the impressionable audience to whom Deathwish and Thrasher cater. Simply because these types of slams aren't new doesn't mean we can't change our perception of them, especially with more awareness of the debilitating, long-term effects.

I know none of this is going to change your mind, I'm just surprised that you're admonishing posters for their concern of head injuries.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:57:00 AM by saucy ragu »
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
If he wore  a helmet there's no chance he'd be on Deathwish and if he filmed this same exact part with a helmet people would be making fun of him.

If a kid sees this dude getting knocked out and think it's cool and hope it happens to them, well that's pretty dumb of them. I remember seeing the Welcome to Hell slam section and thinking "holy shit maybe I'll stick to ledges."

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Dudes needs a helmet sponsor stat.

Are you saying he'd be a good fit on Street Plant?

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

How is anyone supposed to know what this video was going to show before watching it? He's reacting to what he saw. And if he's advocating for safer skating, how is that anything to knock? He didn't come off as arrogant, he sounded concerned.

Don't act as though slams like this are common across the entire skate video medium. When was the last time you saw a video where someone was knocked out, eyes rolled into the back of the head twice in a 4 minute span? That's excessive, dangerous, and being glorified to the impressionable audience to whom Deathwish and Thrasher cater. Simply because these types of slams aren't new doesn't mean we can't change our perception of them, especially with more awareness of the debilitating, long-term effects.

I know none of this is going to change your mind, I'm just surprised that you're admonishing posters for their concern of head injuries.

Thanks saucy but you’ve been here long enough to know this low iq mouthbreather will try to manufacture internet tough guy arguments over just about anything. I don’t give fat fartsicle what Gipstick thinks about me and either should anyone else.

Oh the irony claiming I was lecturing and pontificating. El oh fucking el what a dolt

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
I have asthma and take offense to that mouthbreather comment  >:(
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Just about every video I grew up watching
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »
science is always in flux and it wouldn't shock me if the CTE scare of today is just that and passes just like the 'super predator crack babies' and 'bird flu' and 'ebola' and so on.
we still can't agree if alzheimer's is a plaque or if the plaque is there because of alzheimer's. we've got a long ways to go in understanding anything.
70 yrs ago cigarettes were considered healthy.
110 yrs ago heroin was prescribed to kids.
alcohol doesn't cause brain damage, it's alkie's poor diet that leads to memory loss.
idk if the steroid company told the drs 'find something else' to explain chris benoit and similar folks or if it's less conspiracy and more simple ignorance.
you don't think any boxer ever has a ton of concussions?
idk if i buy the whole thing.
chief, do you feel yourself at a diminished mental capacity?
any other chronic headbangers asides ed and his lousy vegan diet?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
I can only think of one real slam that's gnarlier than either of the KOs in Pedro's part, and that's including anything from the two slam sections you just posted. Plus, one could argue there's a difference between throwing a clip like that into the middle of the part, and putting it into a montage dedicated solely to bails.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other on the helmet thing, but slams like this and some of the stuff in Nyjah's new part are definitely a step above the usual slam shots we see in parts. Chalk it up to the unseen side of skateboarding's progression.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
Indifference to a fellow skater's head trauma and scorn for others who are justifiably concerned or uneasy to see it used as a marketing device is peak Phelps. It's also noteworthy that watching a video like Welcome to Hell when you're 12 and watching this same type of thing now when you're probably in your 20's or 30's are two entirely different things.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

The slams made me uncomfortable too, slam sections and gnar ones like this or Geoff Arto Ali ones from Sorry era all are hard to watch.

But are you fucking serious?

Nearly every skate video or part from the last 20 years or more has featured slams peppered in them.
This is nothing new.
Our entire industry exists and runs on the glorification of an ultimately dangerous pastime.
You skate a handrail, you risk getting knocked out like this or worse.
You bomb a hill, same shit.
You do a hand plant or a fs air.

This is no more a glorification of getting wrecked  or smacking your head while skating than Jamie’s first slam in that Dying to Live section.
Or the leap of faith.

Should we now tell kids to not watch Geoff’s Sorry part because it begins with two hard as fuck cracks to the dome in case they’re too impressionable and want to....what? Deliberately try to hit their heads when skating?
What’s more be with line with reality is they will react in the exact same way I did to these slams and want to turn away from the screen.

The very fucking real consequences to this particular genre of skating are on display here- something the youth should be aware of, no? Not sheltered from. And I’m the same vein, maybe it is about time CTE etc was discussed more in skating. We should fully question why wearing helmets isn’t the done thing In skating. A video part for a guy being welcomed to a skate company named DEATHWISH is not the most appropriate medium for the discussion- but it’s definitely one of the most appropriate places to show what kind of injuries can occur if you try and skate to this level and in this way.

I can’t believe that two slams in a undeniably Gnarly part is causing so much nonsense.

I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

This is probably the weirdest hill to die on I've ever seen...but go off I guess