Author Topic: A JENKY INVESTIGATION INTO JONAH HILL’S SKATE PAST  (Read 29007 times)

rejectpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
A JENKY INVESTIGATION INTO JONAH HILL’S SKATE PAST
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:32:56 AM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/09/12/jenky-investigation-jonah-hills-skate-past/

pretty pointless 'investigation' as its basically everything that has been discussed on SLAP

i wonder if he knows/cares people are discussing him on slap?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:37:44 AM by rejectpaul »
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93

feedmeseymour

Re: A JENKY INVESTIGATION INTO JONAH HILL’S SKATE PAST
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
you're right, it was discussed on slap, good call making another thread about it.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »
“So the next time your neighbor mentions “this new skateboard movie” they read about in the New Yorker, you don’t have go on a triggered rant about how skateboard culture is getting hijacked by outsiders.”

Except that he quit, so he is an outsider. “I useda skate” kooks are worse than people who never started. You had the opportunity to be a skateboarder, and you abandoned it? Biggest kook move imaginable
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
i actually respect ppl who stopped playing with toys in their teens to pursue careers
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
i actually respect ppl who stopped playing with toys in their teens to pursue careers

You can have a career and still skate in your free time.

IHOP

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
If he was a “used to skate” kook and was wearing quasi or toy machine or dc or any other brands that arent just hot right now id have more respect for it.  But being a used to skate dude and wearing only palace and supreme is as cornball as it gets. 

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
idgaf anymore after finding out Spike Jonze produced Lil Pumps I love it

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah. He has no idea how careers work. The idea that career=work and sleep only comes from a dude working part time at the gas station living with his parents

Mongoloid

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »
You guys are such haters! Damned if the kid does, damned if he didn’t. If he lived it for X amount of years, he lived it. You don’t get on girls that can barely kickflip, you harp on about supporting them.

If he’s got genuine love for skateboarding I don’t really see what the problem is. You guys don’t own this.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah but skating is the kookiest thing you can do in your adult life

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Get the strap

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »
If you Google the reviews so far critics like the movie. What I think is going on is Jonah Hill is straight up trolling, and you guys are taking the bait, just let it go. If the movie had a sci-fi twist or something I'd be all into it...but the plot is basically a 13 year old with a dysfunctional broken home, meets his skater friends, loses his virginity, and grows up.

I remember when Kids came out my friends and I didn't glorify it because skating all day with your friends, smoking blunts, drinking 40's, chasing girls, cracking jokes, house parties, etc is what every teenage skater did back in the day.

So this movie mid 90s is about yourself than just live the life in reality and skip the movie, or watch it once, whatever.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »
You guys are such haters! Damned if the kid does, damned if he didn’t. If he lived it for X amount of years, he lived it. You don’t get on girls that can barely kickflip, you harp on about supporting them.

If he’s got genuine love for skateboarding I don’t really see what the problem is. You guys don’t own this.
Are you being sarcastic? A person who quits skateboarding clearly doesn’t have genuine love for skateboarding. A person who still skates, regardless of how good of a kickflip they have DOES have genuine love for skateboarding.
Like, your argument and your examples are exact opposites. Were you trying to look that stupid, or does it come naturally to you?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »
My biggest issue is that he "used to skate" and has only entered skateboarding again to make sure his movie gets a good reception.

I know people bashed lil wayne a ton when he came in but he's actually skateboarding and seems to like it. He films stuff, even if its shit. He builds parks and goes out skating with skateboarders.

That one Kyle dude on SNL seems to actually skate too, even if he's not very good and hangs out with Richie Jackson.

There's obviously no old photos/footage of jonah hill skateboarding. Why isn't there any new stuff? Oh right he watched tyshawn do a big flip in the Adidas video, totally means he's a skateboarder right? This article is saying we should give him a pass because he was the fat kid who went to the skateshop and spent his mom's money, even if no one talks about him ACTUALLY skating.

He's attempting to sell out a culture that he hasn't been engaged in for like 20 years and we have every right to call it disingenuous.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
The issue, to me, isn't if he skates/skated or not, it's that he's a total superkook, can't kickflip or crook as has been claimed, and he's probably dehydrated from all the cum skaters have drained out of him the past two weeks.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
What’s the issue here?

I thought this was gonna be funny, but you guys sound upset.

“My isssue....”

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:40 AM »
I was hoping the Jenkem interview would be more than just collated evidence from here.

Can't someone from Illegal Civ just make Jonah do something and then post it to instagram? If Jonah really skated, I find it very hard to believe that he never stepped on a board and rolled around during filming (besides that kickflip sequence).

I'm not even asking for kickflip footage - just roll around and ollie a manhole cover and I'd be appeased

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1247
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »
I just hope that his movie gives the USA skateboard team the boost it needs to win gold in the olympics.  I think we can all agree on that.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

badfomyhealth

• Rep: 7
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
I just hope that his movie gives the USA skateboard team the boost it needs to win gold in the olympics.  I think we can all agree on that.
🇺🇸

Badformyhealth is a severe alcoholic, confirmed.

Mongoloid

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 09:01:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Are you being sarcastic? A person who quits skateboarding clearly doesn’t have genuine love for skateboarding. A person who still skates, regardless of how good of a kickflip they have DOES have genuine love for skateboarding.
Like, your argument and your examples are exact opposites. Were you trying to look that stupid, or does it come naturally to you?

Ignoring nearly everything you wrote, since you bore me.

I quit skating for a time due to piling out, and trying to find my way in life. I thought about skating to the point of dreaming about it often. I still followed and loved it as much as I did when I was out there all day everyday. It’s not such a black and white thing as you’d like to believe it is, but you are who you are, and it’s predictable you’d react the way you have here.

Mongoloid

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
The issue, to me, isn't if he skates/skated or not, it's that he's a total superkook, can't kickflip or crook as has been claimed, and he's probably dehydrated from all the cum skaters have drained out of him the past two weeks.

See, I can respect this opinion though.

It’s the “I bet he didn’t even skate” crowd coming across like a bunch of bitter gatekeepers that annoy me. If this film influences a kid to pick up a board and find what he loves I’m not gonna sit here and whine about it.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

NO YOU CAN'T. EAT, SLEEP & WORK IS THE ONLY THING ADULTS ARE ALLOWED TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty Serious

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
Typical Slap poster or Jonah Hill? 
- May or may not have ever actually done the act of skateboarding
- If skateboarded, unable to produce any evidence of proficiency
- Slightly witty, fat and of marginal importance
- If not making constant noise, forgotten about
I offer myself as exhibit A.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »
Typical Slap poster or Jonah Hill? 
- May or may not have ever actually done the act of skateboarding
- If skateboarded, unable to produce any evidence of proficiency
- Slightly witty, fat and of marginal importance
- If not making constant noise, forgotten about
I offer myself as exhibit A.

The rhetoric that Slap posters don't skate is a lazy excuse made by outsiders to disregard legitimate opinions.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »
If the move is good and it accurately depicts skateboarding rather than make a mockery of it ie Grind, I don't see the issue. He is passionate about skateboarding from what I can tell.

Look at what happened when skateboarders (who are considered legends and have had careers most would dream of) make a movie... We got street dreams. I have a gut feeling that Jonah the Jew will do a better job than Dyrdek and P. Rod did. Doubt he will embarrass the skateboard community like street dreams did.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

midevilco

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Phelpsian logic

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
If he was a “used to skate” kook and was wearing quasi or toy machine or dc or any other brands that arent just hot right now id have more respect for it.  But being a used to skate dude and wearing only palace and supreme is as cornball as it gets.
What’s worse, being a used to skate guy wearing only Palace and Supreme or a full on skate guy wearing only Palace and Supreme? They’re both fucking corny so what’s the difference?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What’s worse, being a used to skate guy wearing only Palace and Supreme or a full on skate guy wearing only Palace and Supreme? They’re both fucking corny so what’s the difference?

One of them can kickflip and crooked grind