Author Topic: Patreon and Skateboarding?  (Read 1537 times)

Sad dad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Patreon and Skateboarding?
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it, but:

Has anyone used Patreon for skate purposes?

If anyone is unfamiliar, Patreon is a platform for supporting people doing creative things like artists or podcasters - content creators. Skateboarding, whether on video or in magazines, is content creation.

I was thinking about this idea after hearing Gershon Mosley on the Nine Club when they were asking him to film a part. Would people support a skateboarder to put out footage? I realize that's what conventional sponsors essentially do but I'm saying, for example, would you chip in to help Johnny Layton pay a filmer and put out a part?

Obviously this could be abused but it does feel categorically different from the much hated Gofundme.

Thoughts?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Patreon and Skateboarding?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
I definitely hook up some podcaster’s with patreon, but one of the reasons being to get extra stuff... not sure how this could translate to skateboarding unless you get raw footage or something. Interesting idea though.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
I'd file this under the same wack version of skateboarding that Instagram skaters fall into. The belief that you're only really skating if someone is there to film it kinda destroys most of what skateboarding really means IMO. If you really love it, you'd be doing it anyway, so does filming it really matter?

That's not to say that video parts don't push the core values of skateboarding, but expecting anything in return for filming a video part I think turns it into something like streaming video games on Twitch.

I have the same opinion about a lot of the GoFundMe's that were popping up for a while. Obviously making one for funeral costs for a loved one or a sudden illness is a whole different thing, but if you're looking for support to be doing "what you love" instead of just doing it to do it, you should probably quit skateboading.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Mongoloid

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »
I thought patreon was basically one step up from a premium Snapchat or gofundme for broke ass amateur girls to show the goods. Never realized it was used for anything else.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
I thought patreon was basically one step up from a premium Snapchat or gofundme for broke ass amateur girls to show the goods. Never realized it was used for anything else.

a bunch of youtubers/streamers turned to patreon after adsense/twitch/etc started dicking them around with revenue.

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
People might say they'd support, but unlikely they actually would without receiving something in return. I only know of YouTubers as far as skaters who have tried it but not seen any success.

Plenty of podcasts, artists, musicians on patreon making fucking bank but almost everyone has it tied to a big YouTube channel

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
I'm paying a couple of podcast and a website on Patreon. It's a way to keep some projects that aren't profitable alive and you get special content or extra time in the podcast.

In the case of a skater I can't see myself paying for watching exclusive content every month unless Gino will have a Patreon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:33:35 PM by alraunen »

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »
I think it’s called no coping, the Arizona podcast that covered the love bowls? I’m waiting for there to be more episodes of that. It was a great listen and I think they’d deserve a patron to support over the other existing podcasts. Sure I like the bunt and uhh I’ll check out the nine club and scan for parts to listen to but the production value was much. I think he’s a slap pal so if you’re reading this, great job and I’d love to hear more.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
Tumblr saves a lot of cash on all that haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:57 AM »
In theory it is a good way to decentralize the revenue stream. In reality, it's nothing but e-begging from people like DSP and Wings of Redemption.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 05:05:37 AM »
Sounds like ETN to me. Patreon for skating is just as wack. Why would I pay x amount of dollars to watch a pro skate. Fuck that. Pros are lucky that people even want watch them skate and buy their product. Without us, they wouldn't be relevant or pro in the first place.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
I definitely hook up some podcaster’s with patreon, but one of the reasons being to get extra stuff... not sure how this could translate to skateboarding unless you get raw footage or something. Interesting idea though.

plus when you support a podcaster you know what you're paying for. you see the the results in a new episode every week, new audio equipment, big guests or whatever. paying johnny kickflip every month just so he can continue to smoke weed at the park every day instead of getting a job and maybe release a part a year later doesn't sound too appealing
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.