Author Topic: Mark Suciu Interview  (Read 3805 times)

Malcolm Sex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -91
Mark Suciu Interview
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:29:44 AM »
bosh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:43:17 AM by Malcolm Sex »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Mark Suciu Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:48:48 AM »
His shoe really is my favorite.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:59:30 AM »
Definitely like him more because of this interview. Also I agree 100% with the Alien Workshop views

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »
I like some of his comments on music in videos these days. You use to be able to find new music from videos but music rights are killing edits. I'm pretty sure Jerry skated to the Peter Bjorn and John song he references for a bag of suck promo or something.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 07:17:34 AM »
That was awesome.

I had no idea how much design and thought actually goes into pro shoes, it almost makes me feel a little better about the whole process.

cloudy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
damn, if vh1 was still running that show "best week ever," i think slap would have to take it this week. first, there was that jenkem "investigation" into jonah hill's skate past (might as well just have linked to the slap thread), and now two questions (!) in this suciu interview centered around slap.

first question re: slap was about the apparent kalis "beef." i didn't know about slap at the time so i dug up the thread that they were talking about. that shit was a hot topic back in 2015! an 11-page thread is nothing to scoff at. http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86766.0

I actually asked Mike Blabac about this, but I want to know your take on it. There was some shit-talking on Slap about your adidas ad at Love, and how supposedly Kalis had an issue with you skating the same obstacle, the barrier off the ledge, in a shoe ad as he did for a DC ad.

So he [Kalis] posted a photo on Instagram when he saw it, with a laughing emoji, saying, “C’mon guys”. I was really bummed, I was worried I’d insulted him so I laid low for a second, read some comments and he said he had no beef with me and he’s down for me. And he’s helped me out a lot. He just thought adidas was making a bad call by doing a shoe campaign which included the orange barrier off that ledge at that specific part of Love Park. One of his DC pro shoes had that gap to noseblunt slide in the ad, which was so similar. It was also my choice, so I feel he let me off easy on that. I wasn’t even thinking about that trick, and I’m really sensitive to ABDs and things of that category. I definitely felt bad but I didn’t think of it at the moment. It just never occurred to me and I felt that he should have been criticising me and not the company, so he let me off easy for that one.

i guess suciu lurks on slap from time to time! "read some comments" lol.

second question was just straight up a comment from slap that the interviewer wanted suciu to reflect on. shout out to white owl! http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=98408.0

Alright, I’m glad I was able to find this again... It’s a comment from a thread about you on Slap that I want you to comment on. Some dude says, “Each part he puts out is different, which is really impressive. Most dudes just do the same tricks, just different spots in every part. He almost seems bored with skating. He can do it all”.

Ha... That’s cool. That’s a wonderful comment. I feel like that’s definitely something I am very concious of. For every part, I don’t want to repeat a trick, and then I don’t want to repeat the mood in the next part. But it’s easy for me to do that because I have so many different options; I skate in a lot of different places. Maybe I just think more about video parts than your average team rider. There are people out there that produce fucking amazing parts, so I’m not saying I’m doing anything completely original but it’s just that some people are thrown around on trips, like on adidas trips, and their footage comes out here, and maybe a homie video comes out there, and there are differences of textures... A lot of people are influenced by LA skating as well... I don’t know. I’m too flattered by the question to think of how to answer!

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
Every time I read an interview with him, I like him a little more.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
Really interesting, in combination with the Blacklisted UK interview that was posted last month. The Workshop, how much input into his shoe he has, the Away Days song change, etc. Also interesting to hear him talk about spot politics and people being bummed on him. I'd be curious to hear more about that specifically.

The tweaks he made to his second shoe were exactly what needed fixed. Clearly some legit thought went into those tweaks. The heel slippage in particular was a big flaw in the first shoe. The insole was too tall for the side walls and I got a shit ton of heel slippage in addition to a nasty ankle roll. Your foot sits too high in the shoe. The second one feels a lot better.

It also struck me in both interviews for as chatty as he is how little he had to say about Habitat or working on anything specific for Habitat. In both interviews it was all either Adidas related or independent projects.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
damn, if vh1 was still running that show "best week ever," i think slap would have to take it this week. first, there was that jenkem "investigation" into jonah hill's skate past (might as well just have linked to the slap thread), and now two questions (!) in this suciu interview centered around slap.

first question re: slap was about the apparent kalis "beef." i didn't know about slap at the time so i dug up the thread that they were talking about. that shit was a hot topic back in 2015! an 11-page thread is nothing to scoff at. http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86766.0

I actually asked Mike Blabac about this, but I want to know your take on it. There was some shit-talking on Slap about your adidas ad at Love, and how supposedly Kalis had an issue with you skating the same obstacle, the barrier off the ledge, in a shoe ad as he did for a DC ad.

So he [Kalis] posted a photo on Instagram when he saw it, with a laughing emoji, saying, “C’mon guys”. I was really bummed, I was worried I’d insulted him so I laid low for a second, read some comments and he said he had no beef with me and he’s down for me. And he’s helped me out a lot. He just thought adidas was making a bad call by doing a shoe campaign which included the orange barrier off that ledge at that specific part of Love Park. One of his DC pro shoes had that gap to noseblunt slide in the ad, which was so similar. It was also my choice, so I feel he let me off easy on that. I wasn’t even thinking about that trick, and I’m really sensitive to ABDs and things of that category. I definitely felt bad but I didn’t think of it at the moment. It just never occurred to me and I felt that he should have been criticising me and not the company, so he let me off easy for that one.

second question was just straight up a comment from slap that the interviewer wanted suciu to reflect on. shout out to white owl! http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=98408.0

Alright, I’m glad I was able to find this again... It’s a comment from a thread about you on Slap that I want you to comment on. Some dude says, “Each part he puts out is different, which is really impressive. Most dudes just do the same tricks, just different spots in every part. He almost seems bored with skating. He can do it all”.

Ha... That’s cool. That’s a wonderful comment. I feel like that’s definitely something I am very concious of. For every part, I don’t want to repeat a trick, and then I don’t want to repeat the mood in the next part. But it’s easy for me to do that because I have so many different options; I skate in a lot of different places. Maybe I just think more about video parts than your average team rider. There are people out there that produce fucking amazing parts, so I’m not saying I’m doing anything completely original but it’s just that some people are thrown around on trips, like on adidas trips, and their footage comes out here, and maybe a homie video comes out there, and there are differences of textures... A lot of people are influenced by LA skating as well... I don’t know. I’m too flattered by the question to think of how to answer!

Pretty sure on the first one he was talking about instagram comments, not Slap.

cloudy

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure on the first one he was talking about instagram comments, not Slap.

probably so. it's just that i saw this post from kalis in that thread and thought that that's what suciu meant when he said that he "read some comments and he said he had no beef with me and he’s down for me." i suppose kalis could have also been defending him in the facebook/instagram comments.

the post was poking fun at Adidas.
Suciu is my dude... i think the trick and photo is dope...

If it were editorial... thats one thing.. but to run it as a shoe ad... cmon guys... We did that shit 15 years ago. I drug that barrier and had a vision... so we did it. I think its wack as fuck for adidas to run that as a shoe ad.
I could sit here and explain what makes it different than any other photo at the same spot.. but in my opinion, there is things you just have to respect.

come up with your own ideas......

thats what i meant by the post.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
I like some of his comments on music in videos these days. You use to be able to find new music from videos but music rights are killing edits. I'm pretty sure Jerry skated to the Peter Bjorn and John song he references for a bag of suck promo or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_QSF0YyRE

it was a film montage and it's pretty fitting. i love the song and the feel goes well with film and friendship in this montage. i'd also love to see the suicu edit with this and I'd definately like it better than away days edit

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:58 AM »
Every time I read an interview with him, I like him a little more.

same here
and yes song choice for away days was kinda bad
bummer because all his music choices are so fucking good apart from this one

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »
I always wondered how Kalis got that barrier to just sit there......

He drugged it....there ya go. 

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 06:13:27 AM »

All I skate. Is there any other shoe with cushion as good as that blue cushion the Suciu ADV has? Adiprene of whatever? It’s a lifesaver.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All I skate. Is there any other shoe with cushion as good as that blue cushion the Suciu ADV has? Adiprene of whatever? It’s a lifesaver.

It's perfect and in my fear that they are going to discontinue it, I have been buying several pairs whenever I have some extra cash laying about.