Author Topic: Is it a good idea to put oil on bearings??  (Read 1200 times)

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: Is it a good idea to put oil on bearings??
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
What about WD40??

you can't be serious?  If you are...try it on a spare bearing and report back.

lulz

• Rep: 24
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2023, 10:32:21 AM »
What about WD40??

Could  you give us more details, please?
Have you been just replacing bearing when they slow down? Like new set of reds once a month?
Do you have time or budget criteria? Like you need to skate tonight, live nowhere near a shop, and only have access to the supplies in the laundry room cabinet?🙂 :)

KidCarl

• Rep: 28
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2023, 11:34:18 AM »
Expand Quote
What about WD40??
[close]

Have you been just replacing bearing when they slow down? Like new set of reds once a month?
Do you have time or budget criteria? Like you need to skate tonight, live nowhere near a shop, and only have access to the supplies in the laundry room cabinet?🙂 :)
WD40 was my shit when I was twelve. The bearings would get sludgy and slow down, so I would just spray em down again. Until I was informed that the WD40 was causing the problems to begin with. Especially if you run shieldless, your bearings are just filled with dirt and oil.

lulz

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2023, 02:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What about WD40??
[close]

[close]
WD40 was my shit when I was twelve. The bearings would get sludgy and slow down, so I would just spray em down again. Until I was informed that the WD40 was causing the problems to begin with. Especially if you run shieldless, your bearings are just filled with dirt and oil.

Grosso said “Run what you brung.”
We’ve all done it. Ruined one of wife’s nice leftover containers, not resistant to acetone. Went through a Molotov cocktail phase, wide mouthed glass trilogy, kombucha bottle and gasoline, you can guess how that worked out. Lubed with motor oil- runs everywhere, 3 in 1 oil-runs out less, the worst was dry lube, Teflon based, it had the fastest hand spin ever, and was the slowest in use.

If you have a $10 budget get bones speed cream.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_Speed_Cream_/descpage-BSSCLU.html

lulz

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2023, 02:06:10 PM »
$30 budget= plus bones bearing cleaner
https://tgmskateboards.com/bones-bearings-cleaning-kit/

lulz

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2023, 02:23:32 PM »
$100 budget=plus bearing press.
The Bont one is better, because you can do thunder juice wheels!. The other ones are too small.
https://bont.com/products/125mm-inline-skate-bearing-press

This comes first because now you have something to offer, you can help people get their bearing running agin.

$200 budget= plus bones Swiss six
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_Super_Swiss_6_Ball_Bearings/descpage-BSSS6BR.html?from=gshop&gclid=CjwKCAjwtuOlBhBREiwA7agf1itsYQ9C1f7lSgEWm8U__510SBIaRzGWKclIOzbKuLrywyTxqtyL0BoCPigQAvD_BwE

This is just for you, now you’re fast.🙂

YMMV. This is just my experience and I wish someone had explained it to me….
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 02:33:23 PM by lulz »

10staircoffin

• Rep: 12
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2023, 06:32:07 PM »
Probably just reiterating everything said in any post that's been correct so far, but here's my frugal solution as taught by my Dad in the 90s.

1. Shields off, clean in a jar using methylated spirits or something similar - alcohol that dries quick and doesn't leave a film. Use this, not the Bones Bearing Cleaner to save $$. Metho is a common cleaner, you might already have some. Maybe you drink it with orange juice, I'm not here to judge.

2. Oil with Singer Sewing Machine oil. A couple of drops per bearing is all you need. Sewing Machine Oil is what Speed Cream is, except you can get a lifetime supply for the same price. I've had the same 100ml bottle for the last 10 years.

3. That's it. Do this once or twice a year.

Don't use grease or any kind of graphite lubricant - this shit traps filth inside and fucks up your ride. No need to use WD40 but no harm in giving them a squirt to maybe reduce water penetration.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 54
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2023, 06:44:39 PM »
using dawn dish soap, olive oil, and salt tends to yield the best results in cleaning.

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2023, 08:43:16 PM »
Container with lid, dollar store citrus cleaner, toothbrush, Bones speed cream. Put bearings in container, fill citrus cleaner past the bearings in the container. Shake in circle motions so the bearings kinda spin around the container in the cleaner, drain. (If you shake up and down I feel like you risk damaging cages, hence why the bones kit keeps the bearings stationary) Toothbrush the debris from shaking then repeat the fill, shake, drain. Spin bearings with hands to get excess cleaner out then set them on a paper towel to dry out and/or pat dry out. Once dry, 2 drops bones speed cream. Done. Made cheap bearings last years this way.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2023, 08:43:42 AM »
one time I pulled all the plastic cages, put the bearings loose in a jar with paint thinner....shook it up.....everything fell apart.  The inner races all popped out and it was a jar full of loose bearings....  My impression is the cages to some degree keep them in line as well as....it was a dumb move to shake it up vigorously.  But yeah....lost a set of swiss doing that.... I agree with you though that dirt does get stuck there, it's just to what degree I'm willing to spend time on it and it's sort of finicky, I've damaged the cages pulling them out and putting them back in.

Swiss cages have tighter tolerances than the regular reds. Way harder to pop off and on.

I can't afford new (ceramics) bearings so I hold on to parts.
If you still got those cages you should pop them into cheeper reds and they will last longer
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2023, 09:29:26 AM »
If not, what is the best way to clean bearings??

u want to clean em or lube em?