Author Topic: Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads  (Read 6370 times)

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
I dunno if anyone else out there struggles with this, but I have ordered 3 hats that simply do not fit my massive skull. UNTIL I happened to see Roger on The Nine Club wearing a nice looking Theories hat and I guessed (correctly) that he, like me, was in possession of a big melon head. I ordered one and to my delight it fits pretty well, but I do hope there are other options out there.

Hat suggestions for big water heads like me?

kentrock

• Rep: -199
Re: Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
wow.  thats cool.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
I have a massive dome as well, and ordering caps online has been a bitch for me. For reference, 7 3/4 New Era's fit quite tight for me and would leave a massive mark on my forehead. I always got those because stores around here didn't carry the bigger sizes (and they looked quite ridiculous on my already comically large head)

Strapback Theories hats fit me well pretty much all the time. Their snapbacks, not so much. I recently bought a Baker strapback, the green one with the "B" rivet on it. It fits perfectly and has a lot of extra room.

Most Polar strapbacks fit great for me, even their snapbacks fit.
I've had some Magenta strap backs fit, some were too small. Their snapbacks are def. too small for me. Their five panels fit me, which is odd because most 5 panels don't fit me.

I have a 917 strapback that fits (the blue one Roger wears from time to time), but the strap is at its max, I can only really wear it with a shaved head/short hair, or else it gets too tight.

No Huf hats have ever fit me. The new Alien Workshop hats don't fit my massive dome at all either.

i want to try the Hopps lion strapback, but with the price conversion + customs, I don't want to end up with a hat that's too small, it's always a bitch to return.

Hope this helps, as a hat guy with a big-ass head, I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:04:15 PM by TheBoognish »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
I too have a large head. Not much to add. When I find a hat that fits I guard it with my life and run it to dust. Following this thread closely.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
Any DLX brand will not fit. At all. I have a chocolate corduroy hat that’s roomy that I wear in the winter. The 47 brand hats are great and comfortable on my massive dome. I can’t do new eras anymore, I’m almost 40. 

Oh, I have an official brand hat, I guess it’s a Jose rojo model, it fits really well and it’s like moisture wicking. It’s sick. Nothing crazy on it, just a small O.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Any DLX brand will not fit. At all. I have a chocolate corduroy hat that’s roomy that I wear in the winter. The 47 brand hats are great and comfortable on my massive dome. I can’t do new eras anymore, I’m almost 40. 

Oh, I have an official brand hat, I guess it’s a Jose rojo model, it fits really well and it’s like moisture wicking. It’s sick. Nothing crazy on it, just a small O.
same boat...I haven't been able to find a spitfire hat that fits in years. I've been skating a old LRG hat for way too long but it is surprisingly good quality.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »
Need more links ppl
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
Here’s that Official hat I have. I got it on sale at tactics or daddies, can’t remember.

https://theofficialbrand.com/collections/fall-winter-17/products/air-luxe-blk

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Absolutely never any cheap blank hats from China on Amazon. Although it's amazing they can sell something and ship it across the world for $3.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
Size 7 7/8 New Era skull here... I've had luck with the following hats from skate companies:
- Polar (strapback)
- Quasi (snapback [bought two of the same one on sale - one is too small, the other is perfect])
- Altamont (snapback)
- Huf (strapback, but with the webbed nylon strap like 5-panel hats normally have - this one seems to be an outlier, as every other hat I've tried on from them has been way too small)

Also, if a hat is just a bit tight, but borderline fits; you can get a little extra room by cutting a couple of small slits in the sweatband, like so:

I do one cut on each side just at the edge of the brim, and do the same thing at the back, right before the adjustment hole.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
brixton high profile.
good come sausage

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »

I wear a 7 3/8" fitted, but it's the depth of these shitty skate brand hats that fit so bad

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
The only hat I've found to fit my absolutely massive head is one of those Thrasher snapbacks with the string across the brim. It sucks. Strap backs end up looking totally flat like some kind of unimpressive flounder.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »
Going to revive this thread for my fellow bigheads for a specific hat inquiry:

Anyone know how Dime's hats fit? Specifically thinking about getting this one.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 06:37:24 AM »
I've got a NJ skate shop hat that I will never wear in public because it feels like a child's cap on my big head.
Side note: son asked me why it doesn't fit right and I told him that my head is big because I am so full of knowledge.
Blew his little mind at the time. I think that time has passed since.

DaCeLeRyMaN

• Rep: -12
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »
Just got a domestics snapback that fits pretty damn well. I have the same issue as mentioned before with DLX hats.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:39 AM »
Dude I don’t even have a big head at all and my spitfire hat is hanging on by just two notches in the strap. Also the notches are just in the wrong spot so I wear it a tad too big rather than a tad too small. It works and I love that hat but I don’t understand why it appears to be made for youths while being marketed to adults.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
Just got a domestics snapback that fits pretty damn well. I have the same issue as mentioned before with DLX hats.

Same here, Domestics 5 panel snapback fits well on my big Dome
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
I have a big head and I've been wearing this hat https://www.typicalco.com/product/neiman-hat-black
Use code: SLAPPAL and get the hat for 50% off.
This is also a little passion project of mine so *plug plug plug*

DaCeLeRyMaN

• Rep: -12
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
I too wear 7 3/4 and typically can’t find hats to fit. I know north face isn’t a skate brand but it’s still a brand I like and the L/XL in this hat fits me great with room to spare and I run it hard.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/horizon-ball-cap-cf7w?from=subCat&variationId=0C5&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping-_-Shop+By+Activity+Hiking-_-NF00CF7W0C5LXL1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=NF00CF7W0C5LXL1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_vfcBRDJARIsAJafEnHFrknvxgKcFB8hz6NhLBKWfPOUocvoGU6mxjKriFAiLjOX3tFuO84aAjlWEALw_wcB#hero=0

Got this in the mail today and can confirm. Comfy as hell and nice quality. I got it in tan for 15.00 off a random site. Might be one of the best hats I’ve ever bought, thanks for the recommendation.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
Don't trust anybody that can and does fit their ears inside of a baseball cap.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »
Going to revive this thread for my fellow bigheads for a specific hat inquiry:

Anyone know how Dime's hats fit? Specifically thinking about getting this one.

I have bought two hats like that one from dime, they were super small depth wise like sharkin picture. Normal wide but wouldn't stay in my head if I was skating.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 03:31:38 PM »
OJ makes an all mesh medium profile hat that fits big heads. Running 4 buttons on this hat. My AH hat gets 1-2 buttons.
Maybe other OJ hats are also big.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
yup, same problem, maybe a little less so than you guys but it's a challenge.  I know I'm old and this is an old guy complaint but I'm wearing ancient ballcaps right now bc I can't bring myself to pay $35 for an adjustable hat that doesn't fucking fit.  Remember when $30 was like *max price* for an all wool, fitted made in USA retro negro leagues ball cap?  Like, the hottest streetwear hat money could buy at the time, and $29.99 made everyone suck in air and let out a sloooow whistle.  Goddamn I am old.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »

Got this in the mail today and can confirm. Comfy as hell and nice quality. I got it in tan for 15.00 off a random site. Might be one of the best hats I’ve ever bought, thanks for the recommendation.

I’ll sign under that too! I have a black n’ white Horizon that is like 5 or 6 year old and it still looks brand new. It was my beater hat for a long time. The material is durable and super easy to clean, doesn’t fade, really comfortable elastic band inside, breathable. For like 25$ it’s the best for your buck for sure.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
I love unstructured hats and I have a pretty big head, but my main issue is them shrinking from sweat. Currently one of the few exceptions is a corduroy Quartersnacks hat I wear all the time. It gets a little hot this time of year but I love it.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Reviving this thread because I fucked up and ordered a Krooked snapback without trying it, and obviously doesn’t fit… like at all. I had it on for two seconds at its largest adjustment and I’ve got a headache from it and a big-ass mark on my forehead.

So, fellow big-domed folks of Slap, what are you guys wearing these days ?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
For those wanting a mesh hat for big heads:

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 04:29:00 PM »
Good thread backed hard. Dlxsf hats are all way too small like lay button and still hurt. I got a vans mesh hat I wear to work and it fits well. I skate in an unstructured foundation star and moon hat. It fits wells,2 buttons. I have an unstructured hat I got from orchard and it fits great but I don’t want it getting gross so I don’t wear it skating.  Def need so big melon mesh hats.