Author Topic: Filming with Sony a7iii  (Read 1802 times)

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
Filming with Sony a7iii
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
So close to purchasing the Sony a7iii. Anyone have experience with it? Especially skateboarding?

Camera will be mostly used for filming.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Gary Coleman

Re: Filming with Sony a7iii
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
I do film skating on the a7iii.  Great setup if you can get a canon 8-15 fisheye and an adapter.  With a 8mm fixed fisheye you gotta put the camera in apsc mode or else there is hella vignette

Little Debbie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
i just asked Thrasher filmer Dan Stolling about this, since I noticed he's been using the alpha for night footage, and he says the low-light footage is spectacular with the different ISO settings. Yeah, I would invest in good glass and a tripod for long lens, and the 8-15 for fish.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
i just asked Thrasher filmer Dan Stolling about this, since I noticed he's been using the alpha for night footage, and he says the low-light footage is spectacular with the different ISO settings. Yeah, I would invest in good glass and a tripod for long lens, and the 8-15 for fish.

He might be using the A7s variant, which has lower megapixel count that really helps with low light (though in previous versions the rolling shutter was apparently worse). That being said, all the a7 variants have low light/high iso capabilities that are more than sufficient.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »
Just be sure to buy the best warranty possible. Just went through absolute hell with Sony customer service.

Gary Coleman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He might be using the A7s variant, which has lower megapixel count that really helps with low light (though in previous versions the rolling shutter was apparently worse). That being said, all the a7 variants have low light/high iso capabilities that are more than sufficient.

yeah the a7sii is the one with Lower megapixels.  I've used a few different ones though and they are all more than sufficient in low light.  the rolling shutter is really only when filming 24fps but its pretty much been fixed now.  the a7iii doesn't really have rolling shutter issues. Still if you're filming skating you're probably in 1080 60p which has no rolling shutter at all