Author Topic: Jason Ellis homophobed out of skateboarding  (Read 25195 times)

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Jason Ellis homophobed out of skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
XYZ Clothing team riders included Danny Way, Pat Channita, Pat Duffy, Peter Hewitt, Jason Ellis, Justin Bokma, Ben & Tas Pappas, Chet Thomas, Brian Emmers and a young Trainwreck amongst others. XYZ Clothing eventually called it quits around the year 2000 due to lack of sales
[close]

Damn it would suck to be in that van. Heard bad shit about these guys. They musta got to Pat channita some how. Where were the wray Bros to help him out with clothes so he didn't have to be on that crazy, white as shit team......Ryan gee must have been the photographer. He follows some right wing crazys on the gram
[close]

Don't forget Mcrank......
[close]
the wray brothers, alphonso rawls, bill weiss, jason maxwell, caine gayle. they had a squad!

heath was on for a sec, too. i remember that tailslide he does in sight unseen on a curved rail being an ad.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
XYZ Clothing team riders included Danny Way, Pat Channita, Pat Duffy, Peter Hewitt, Jason Ellis, Justin Bokma, Ben & Tas Pappas, Chet Thomas, Brian Emmers and a young Trainwreck amongst others. XYZ Clothing eventually called it quits around the year 2000 due to lack of sales
[close]

Damn it would suck to be in that van. Heard bad shit about these guys. They musta got to Pat channita some how. Where were the wray Bros to help him out with clothes so he didn't have to be on that crazy, white as shit team......Ryan gee must have been the photographer. He follows some right wing crazys on the gram
[close]

Don't forget Mcrank......
[close]
the wray brothers, alphonso rawls, bill weiss, jason maxwell, caine gayle. they had a squad!
[close]

heath was on for a sec, too. i remember that tailslide he does in sight unseen on a curved rail being an ad.

I remember it

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
Tommy Caudill seems like a dickhead

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

I'm glad we've grown up. I think it is really cool that we've become way more open and I'd argue we are a lot further along than other "sports." We aren't perfect, but fuck, we are a lot better than the average NFL fan or player.

It is a bummer it took so long for Forrest, BA and others to come out, but at least they can finally come out and the road for younger gay dudes is a bit easier. It is awesome that KingShit was giving Hillary Thompson some coverage in 2011. And, I was stoked as fuck to see Nora rip with the dudes at DGC last weekend.  It's cool we can have the ladies be part of the show without having to strip down to bikinis and just cheer from the sidelines.

Point #1- Shit on the NFL if you want, but they supported a gay athlete coming out before the skate industry did. Think about that  The JOCKS we always made fun of were more open-minded than us.

Point #2- Yes, we came a long way since then, where we appropriate gay culture (muscular shirtless men dancing to techno) at the most popular skate event.
Which I think is rad, BTW

Side point, for sms_b,
The 90’s were a mixed bag for sure. Epitomized by Big Brother. It was forward thinking enough to want to show the world gay skaters, but did not censor homophobic remarks (I think they wanted to show skaters for the idiots they were).

And yeah, two homophobic interviews I remember were Danny Way and Chet Childress, I lost respect for both of them after I read their articles.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
skateboarding is gay, skating vert is gayer, skating a mega ramp is super-duper ball lickingly gay
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »

Point #1- Shit on the NFL if you want, but they supported a gay athlete coming out before the skate industry did. Think about that  The JOCKS we always made fun of were more open-minded than us.

Point #2- Yes, we came a long way since then, where we appropriate gay culture (muscular shirtless men dancing to techno) at the most popular skate event.

Point 1: Is there an openly gay NFL player? O’Callaghan had retired by the time he came out and Micheal Sam never made it past training camp.

Point 2: I need to think of a response to this.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »

The 90’s were a mixed bag for sure. Epitomized by Big Brother.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
The Jake Brown TV story was good....

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »
XYZ star and stripes or some shit worst video ever
I was really into anything to do with world dc droors etc
I was into them when platinum started and they had henry Sanchez

As a child that started skateboarding in late 80’s Danny way and co
We’re allways looked up to by me but there was always something
About those dudes didn’t sit right. I thinking that after hearing a few stories
And something about that shotgun/Porsche board allways irked me.

It somewhat becomes more clear.

you are a fucking homophob.  just bcuz danny way is gay dont mean shit how it sits with you.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 11:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Point 1: Is there an openly gay NFL player? O’Callaghan had retired by the time he came out and Micheal Sam never made it past training camp.

Point 1- retracted. You are right, I checked. I don’t follow football, I just remember something about gay players coming out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_American_football

To be fair, although he has a model, has BA skated in any kind of pro capacity since he came out?

Addendum- point 2 was not written in with the utmost of seriousness. However, Happy Hour skateboards did a Tom of Finland collab, which probably would have been unthinkable 10 years ago
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:48:43 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 05:16:52 AM »
Yah skate wise 'the 90s' sucked.  I liked the small wheels tho.  I'm back on smaller wheels and I like it (47s).  It sucked cause if you just did kfs,heelflips and Tre flips you'd get dissed(93 94).  -imagine that.  Vibes vibes vibes at all the spots.  I was like 'fuck it' and was back on wider boards since 95.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »
This is a confusing interview/monologue! It brings up a really depressing part of skateboarding history (which seems to move for the better), but that entire monologue... where is he going with it? Is it him trying to figure out his own sexuality on air? Is he gay? He keeps saying all kind of "I fucked some dudes, but I am mostly down to fuck chicks" and something about being just a little gay. He seems like he is not totally comfortable with not being completely straight. (and then the part about BA really brings up how important his coming out was)

Colin seems uncomfortable, though.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Point 1- retracted. You are right, I checked. I don’t follow football, I just remember something about gay players coming out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_American_football

To be fair, although he has a model, has BA skated in any kind of pro capacity since he came out?

Addendum- point 2 was not written in with the utmost of seriousness. However, Happy Hour skateboards did a Tom of Finland collab, which probably would have been unthinkable 10 years ago

BA has done ads for Nike since he came out. No telling if it's new footy but there was that 18 Nike drop this past summer with a small part for both him and GT. He was also at a Go Skateboarding Day event this summer. I would say he's working just like most NYC pros.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

guest1

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
But wait wasn't it he who had sex with sheckler's mom?

Go on..

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
I've always thought, just by statistics, between football, basketball, baseball, and hockey, there has to be some gay dudes.  Just pure numbers.  The Michael Sam thing was cool, but a real star needs to come out to make it legit.  If someone like Aaron Rogers or Bryce Harper came out it would be way different.  Kind of like BA coming out vs. some no-name am coming out.  Not sure if guys are worried about image, losing contracts, losing endorsement, etc.  There have always been rumors (just like BA).

90's skating rad rad in a lot of ways.  Mostly that everyone who skated was pretty much down for each other.  You could skate a slick marble ledge, then go hit a crusty ditch, all on 42mm wheels.  The thing that sucked was never landing tricks because things were just too damn tech.     

Ellis has had a crazy life.  I was driving once and caught his episode of Stern.  Dude's been all over the place. 

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on..

No it was this guy, Cain Gayle

Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
but that entire monologue... where is he going with it? Is it him trying to figure out his own sexuality on air? Is he gay? He keeps saying all kind of "I fucked some dudes, but I am mostly down to fuck chicks" and something about being just a little gay. He seems like he is not totally comfortable with not being completely straight.

You don't have to pick just one. You can fuck dudes but be mostly down to fuck chicks and not have to identify as gay or bi or straight or anything you don't want to identify as.

It is strange though that this is all in an interview with Colin McKay. I didn't listen to it, but awhile back I did a phone interview with Colin McKay and he made a remark about gay people that really bummed me out. But this was probably 10 years ago so I hope he has a more open mind now.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
what dones being gay have to do with skateboarding?  unless they are sucking each other off in skateparks.  this is some arbuement that you are less a homophob than each other.  which makes you all gay

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on..
[close]

No it was this guy, Cain Gayle

The fact that he did, doesn't mean that Ellis didn't though...

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »

It'd be interesting to ask BA, "Why now? What about this stage in your career, your life life, or the world encouraged you to come out?" I mean it was common knowledge that BA was down for dudes for at least a decade, but what encouraged him to come out now?

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Kickflipmcdelux

• Rep: -22
  • I'll truck fuck your dad
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

I'm glad we've grown up. I think it is really cool that we've become way more open and I'd argue we are a lot further along than other "sports." We aren't perfect, but fuck, we are a lot better than the average NFL fan or player.

It is a bummer it took so long for Forrest, BA and others to come out, but at least they can finally come out and the road for younger gay dudes is a bit easier. It is awesome that KingShit was giving Hillary Thompson some coverage in 2011. And, I was stoked as fuck to see Nora rip with the dudes at DGC last weekend.  It's cool we can have the ladies be part of the show without having to strip down to bikinis and just cheer from the sidelines.

Forrest Edwards is gay??

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:46:07 AM by TheLurper »

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Ellis is killing it on the weiner wallet front

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like
homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.

Homophobes think gay people are “pieces of shit” , you think homophobes are pieces of shit. Now that you are both on the same level, what are you going to do? Like I’m not bashing you, I’m asking what comes next for you? It just sounds like it continues this nasty cycle. Growing up I would say “gay” like something was lame. To be honest I don’t think me or my friends understood what we were really doing/saying. I hate that I used those words but I did, now I’ve learned, but is it this thing that I should just be condemned a huge piece of shit forever? 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »
homophobes are pieces of shit
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Forrest Edwards is gay??
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruF_Ez7P2Q

God damn that part holds up well.

I remember Jason Ellis was on one of those Tony Hawk Skatepark tours and he aired out of a vert ramp and grabbed the rafters and I thought that was awesome as a kid.

Fully surprised on this, with his style I would have imagined him on the other side of the coin, but I like that, proving stereotypes are often bullshit.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don't have to pick just one. You can fuck dudes but be mostly down to fuck chicks and not have to identify as gay or bi or straight or anything you don't want to identify as.

It is strange though that this is all in an interview with Colin McKay. I didn't listen to it, but awhile back I did a phone interview with Colin McKay and he made a remark about gay people that really bummed me out. But this was probably 10 years ago so I hope he has a more open mind now.

Oh I know - I didn't meant it to sound like there was anything weird about whichever way he orients sexually (I'm a little concerned with the way my English is looking right now - sorry if it turns to gibberish!), My point was more that he seemed to sort of tried to figure out or justify himself as he spoke... Or was I the only one who heard it like that? Maybe he is just very energetic or something, and I heard that as insecurity.

Bummer about Colin! I used to root for him, since I always found him pretty down to earth  :-\

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what an idiotic, over-generalization.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like
homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

Homophobes think gay people are “pieces of shit” , you think homophobes are pieces of shit. Now that you are both on the same level, what are you going to do? Like I’m not bashing you, I’m asking what comes next for you? It just sounds like it continues this nasty cycle. Growing up I would say “gay” like something was lame. To be honest I don’t think me or my friends understood what we were really doing/saying. I hate that I used those words but I did, now I’ve learned, but is it this thing that I should just be condemned a huge piece of shit forever?

Your argument here is built on faulty logic.

First, you state homophobes hate people for being gay and if you hate the homophobes you are equal to them. This doesn't make sense. If our homophobe moves past simple bias and engages in homophobic discrimination his behavior is pretty fucked up. When engaging in discrimination, our homophobe attempts to control who is allowed to make out with who. This is not exercising personal freedom, but an attempt to dominate others. Deciding who you want to make out with is very different than telling a couple of dudes, "Yea, I know you two want to make out, but I don't like the idea of that, so I've decided you cannot make out."

Yes, in society we have come up with rules that reduce people's freedoms, otherwise everything would fall apart. I'm sure some people are upset that they don't have the "freedom" to steal from other people or that they don't have the "freedom" to run red lights, but if they had this freedom our society would suck. Telling people don't run red lights, don't steal, don't punish people for engaging in consensual relationships, is not the same as attempting to control the super personal choice of who someone decides to fuck.

Second, let's just extend your logic and use it in other situations, and you can tell me if it holds up. The KKK hates Catholics, Blacks, Mexicans, immigrants, and so on. If you hate the KKK you are equal to them. Does that add up for you? The Nazis killed people. The USA, UK, and USSR killed Nazis. They are just as bad. How about that one?

Third, your attempt to equate calling one of your friends gay when you were 14 and XYZ telling Ellis, "Fuck off. We don't want your kind here" is a stretch. The two incidents are not equal.

Finally, you make it sound like all posters on SLAP are unable to ever consider that someone has changed and one is always the person he was 10-15 years ago. (This logic came up a lot in the JJ thread as well.) Of course people can change. People's beliefs and practices can change dramatically. The question is at what point do we know someone has changed? Shit, I think this thread is a testament to that as Colin appears to have grown up a bit and he is getting credit for it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:19:45 PM by TheLurper »