Author Topic: Jason Ellis homophobed out of skateboarding  (Read 25200 times)

JamesFardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Jason Ellis homophobed out of skateboarding
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
I wasn’t part of the JJ thread, but I think u made great points. I feel the last few years I’ve been more quiet on the subject as I’m not gay but have a few friends who are, but just feel like I want peace when it “feels” that both sides aren’t wanting that. Again, u made great points, it felt to me that the conversation was very cyclical, but I’m definitely appreciating different points of view on this.

sms_b

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

what an idiotic, over-generalization. For most skateboarders in the 90s there was a sad division between social belonging or being true to yourself, and that meant being ostracized and picked on at worst, or being ignored at best. Skateboarding's never been perfect, but its sympathies in the 90's were distinctly aligned with the outsider, the weirdo, and the fag- If you never got called a skater-fag in the nineties, you were probably never there. In the nineties I said the word "gay" a lot, everything was gaygaygay, and I still hung out with lots of gay people and went out to gay bars too because they had better music and less people who wanted to beat me up, and girls there tended to be more open minded.
What did you do in the nineties? were you telling skaters they were homophobic pieces of shit like you are now, or did you keep most your thoughts up in your head like we all do?

I was calling people out on their homophobia then, just like I do now. I've been knocked out over it a few times too. Cause I'm stupid, and put myself into stupid situations because I'm not afraid and I fight for what I believe in.

So you can call me an idiot, I really don't care. I'm not the one who was admittedly dove tailing queer culture in the 90s while simultaneously verbally abusing that same culture by using an idiotic, over-generalization. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
What did Jake Johnson do again?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
What did Jake Johnson do again?

Had old footage skating alien boards in the quasi vid  >:(

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Ur arguments are all boring..
this thread some how led to me watch rds fsu this morning
Canadians are a conflicted bunch of people

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You don't have to pick just one. You can fuck dudes but be mostly down to fuck chicks and not have to identify as gay or bi or straight or anything you don't want to identify as.

It is strange though that this is all in an interview with Colin McKay. I didn't listen to it, but awhile back I did a phone interview with Colin McKay and he made a remark about gay people that really bummed me out. But this was probably 10 years ago so I hope he has a more open mind now.
[close]

Oh I know - I didn't meant it to sound like there was anything weird about whichever way he orients sexually (I'm a little concerned with the way my English is looking right now - sorry if it turns to gibberish!), My point was more that he seemed to sort of tried to figure out or justify himself as he spoke... Or was I the only one who heard it like that? Maybe he is just very energetic or something, and I heard that as insecurity.

Bummer about Colin! I used to root for him, since I always found him pretty down to earth  :-\

All good, sorry if I misunderstood. I also didn't listen to the interview, maybe that would have given me some context.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

what an idiotic, over-generalization. For most skateboarders in the 90s there was a sad division between social belonging or being true to yourself, and that meant being ostracized and picked on at worst, or being ignored at best. Skateboarding's never been perfect, but its sympathies in the 90's were distinctly aligned with the outsider, the weirdo, and the fag- If you never got called a skater-fag in the nineties, you were probably never there. In the nineties I said the word "gay" a lot, everything was gaygaygay, and I still hung out with lots of gay people and went out to gay bars too because they had better music and less people who wanted to beat me up, and girls there tended to be more open minded.
What did you do in the nineties? were you telling skaters they were homophobic pieces of shit like you are now, or did you keep most your thoughts up in your head like we all do?
[close]

I was calling people out on their homophobia then, just like I do now. I've been knocked out over it a few times too. Cause I'm stupid, and put myself into stupid situations because I'm not afraid and I fight for what I believe in.

So you can call me an idiot, I really don't care. I'm not the one who was admittedly dove tailing queer culture in the 90s while simultaneously verbally abusing that same culture by using an idiotic, over-generalization.

I don't think you're an idiot, I think you're angry and equating that with being right and/or progressive, which maybe you are, but where I take issue with you, is your description in such violent terms of skateboarding as a scene.
Society is homophobic then as now, don't think it's not just because you can watch project runway. But in the 90s when gay culture was more clearly separate from mainstream culture, there was a certain amount of natural overlap with skateboarding, mostly through club culture, just like there was with punk, or hip-hop. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and I'm not trying to suggest that skateboarding was actively pro-gay (skateboarding isn't very sexual in general imo), I'm just saying that given the social landscape in the 90s, the level of integration between homosexuality and skateboarding was no worse than most and in some ways it was better.
Take the long-running Big Brother rumour that Ed Templeton was gay: yes, it held a degree of homophobia, but at the same time it was progressive. There's no way sports illustrated would have openly suggested that a famous football player was gay, because it was such a terrible secret to be gay right? But in Ed's case he didn't even deny it, he even sort of encouraged it, and it helped normalize homosexuality in skateboarding to have it discussed out in the open, even as a sort-of joke, at least it did for me.
Today people criticize 917 for some of the fire island references or "dovetailing" gay culture as you put it, but take a look at the bigger picture: here's one of the more popular skateboard brands proclaiming that gay culture is cool by association. In mainstream culture today, you have very few individuals or companies explicitly making that association, most brands (including non-skate brands) are still marketed in very segregated ways. Even something as crude as the butthole AH board (a reference to Andy Roy's jail sex I believe) is still a coded allusion to Andy engaging in gay sex. Find me another example of someone marketing sports equipment to a non-specifically gay market, using an athlete's homosexuality as a selling point.
Again, my point is not that skateboarding is perfect, far far from it: but considered relative to wider popular culture, I think it has historically fostered a certain awareness of difference that over time becomes acceptance and even appreciation.

guest1

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
But wait wasn't it he who had sex with sheckler's mom?
[close]

Go on..
[close]

No it was this guy, Cain Gayle

[close]

The fact that he did, doesn't mean that Ellis didn't though...

Did he date her or something or just smashed and bailed?  I wanna know everything.

bawtawdwon

• Rep: -68
  • cant ban the snowman
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
Most gay is urge and fetish like I like, only downside to full mentally gays is u can't reproduce. Faggot means annoying and I do t use gay for lame cause its not fashionable no more. I doubt any u guys except the gay ones actually feel bad about talkin like that in the 90s, doubt it, u just showin out it, was straight up cultural norm.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote
To be fair, although he has a model, has BA skated in any kind of pro capacity since he came out?

[close]

It'd be interesting to ask BA, "Why now? What about this stage in your career, your life life, or the world encouraged you to come out?" I mean it was common knowledge that BA was down for dudes for at least a decade, but what encouraged him to come out now?

Money/Attention/The popularity of gender and identity politics.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
Ur arguments are all boring..
this thread some how led to me watch rds fsu this morning
Canadians are a conflicted bunch of people

Actually id say Canada is far from conflicted and the states is quite conflicted these days.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
most homophobz secretly want that dick.

if you get triggered when you read this.. that means you.

shripshrapper

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
most homophobz secretly want that dick.

if you get triggered when you read this.. that means you.

I'm heterosexual, but have sucked dick before. No trigger here.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To be fair, although he has a model, has BA skated in any kind of pro capacity since he came out?

[close]

It'd be interesting to ask BA, "Why now? What about this stage in your career, your life life, or the world encouraged you to come out?" I mean it was common knowledge that BA was down for dudes for at least a decade, but what encouraged him to come out now?
[close]

I gotta say that's a pretty cynical take. There was no guarantee that being out would have gone well at all. I think it probably had more to do with being in a particular position as lot of people's favorite, the fact that it was a bit of an open secret and that he was in the twilight years of his pro career. The Reda doc talks at length about how much fear was involved over the span of many years.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

shripshrapper

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I gotta say that's a pretty cynical take. There was no guarantee that being out would have gone well at all. I think it probably had more to do with being in a particular position as lot of people's favorite, the fact that it was a bit of an open secret and that he was in the twilight years of his pro career. The Reda doc talks at length about how much fear was involved over the span of many years.

I'm a natural cynic. My suspicions of profit/a career boost/self-interest aside, I do think this particular time was the best chance for BA to come out and live a normal life.

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »

God damn that part holds up well.

I remember Jason Ellis was on one of those Tony Hawk Skatepark tours and he aired out of a vert ramp and grabbed the rafters and I thought that was awesome as a kid.

Fully surprised on this, with his style I would have imagined him on the other side of the coin, but I like that, proving stereotypes are often bullshit.

Damn! That part does hold up! Nowadays I think most skaters wouldn’t give a shit if your gay or bi or straight. But I’m also 26 years old so I have no idea what younger people think these days. Different  times back when for sure though.Hopefully skaters are open minded to this kind of thing.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »
Check Out/Check In this month in TWS is Forrest Kirby. It was a good read.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
& caine gayle i think

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2018, 01:20:37 AM »
If BA hadn't of come out by now, we'd be talking about how much he's milking it not how terrible his fits are.

Coming out has given his skate career at least another 5 years of longevity.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »
Also, Jason Ellis has tricks in RDS FSU 2001 which was after XYZ. Given the two brands seem pretty similar and have the common Colin McKay/D Way theme, he can't have been blacklisted too hard?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2018, 05:59:40 AM »
Also, Jason Ellis has tricks in RDS FSU 2001 which was after XYZ. Given the two brands seem pretty similar and have the common Colin McKay/D Way theme, he can't have been blacklisted too hard?
Colin and Danny seem like the type to be racist and have black friends but claim they’re friends are “the good ones.”

And that type of person also usually states “I’m not racist, but...” or “that word actually means ignorant person, you don’t have to be black.”

That variant of garbage human but homophobic.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Pigeon

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like
homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

Homophobes think gay people are “pieces of shit” , you think homophobes are pieces of shit. Now that you are both on the same level, what are you going to do? Like I’m not bashing you, I’m asking what comes next for you? It just sounds like it continues this nasty cycle. Growing up I would say “gay” like something was lame. To be honest I don’t think me or my friends understood what we were really doing/saying. I hate that I used those words but I did, now I’ve learned, but is it this thing that I should just be condemned a huge piece of shit forever?
There’s a difference beteeen saying, “gay,” when you’re 10 and hating people for their sexual orientation. I don’t know where you fall but you probably are a piece of shit regardless.

JamesFardy

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
See this is the thing that gets me about all this 90s nostalgia bullshit that's ongoing. The 90s fucking sucked and skateboarders were in general homophobic pieces of shit who for the most part acted like low-brow jocks with a Napoleon complex. At least where I was from, you were a fucking kook for thinking homosexuality was okay. I remain to this day one happy kook cause I'll never get the hate and think on a personal level that if you don't like
homosexuality it probably means that you're in the closet. Or it just means you are a piece of shit.
[close]

Homophobes think gay people are “pieces of shit” , you think homophobes are pieces of shit. Now that you are both on the same level, what are you going to do? Like I’m not bashing you, I’m asking what comes next for you? It just sounds like it continues this nasty cycle. Growing up I would say “gay” like something was lame. To be honest I don’t think me or my friends understood what we were really doing/saying. I hate that I used those words but I did, now I’ve learned, but is it this thing that I should just be condemned a huge piece of shit forever?
[close]
There’s a difference beteeen saying, “gay,” when you’re 10 and hating people for their sexual orientation. I don’t know where you fall but you probably are a piece of shit regardless.

I’d say I was or at the very least was ignorant of what I was doing/saying. I need more grace I guess, and that’s
Kinda what I was wanting to shed light on, do we just keep calling each other “pieces of shit” or really try and learn from our mistakes and show grace for others who aren’t catching on so quickly. I don’t think history will be kind to them as it shouldn’t be.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I’d say I was or at the very least was ignorant of what I was doing/saying. I need more grace I guess, and that’s
Kinda what I was wanting to shed light on, do we just keep calling each other “pieces of shit” or really try and learn from our mistakes and show grace for others who aren’t catching on so quickly. I don’t think history will be kind to them as it shouldn’t be.
I agree. Even if someone is a piece of shit, generally calling them a piece of shit isn't the right choice. Sure it feels good. But I think grace is the perfect way to put it. You can call someone out on their bull shit and do it with grace.

JamesFardy

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I agree. Even if someone is a piece of shit, generally calling them a piece of shit isn't the right choice. Sure it feels good. But I think grace is the perfect way to put it. You can call someone out on their bull shit and do it with grace.

This^ there just has to be a way that shows better results, there’s so many people who like that attention and just fuel this unnecessary fire.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on..
[close]

[close]

[close]

Did he date her or something or just smashed and bailed?  I wanna know everything.

according to this article, apparently sheckler’s younger brother is named kane after caine gayle.... soooooooooooo

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/05/news/mn-31687

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
you sure it's after caine gayle and not the big red monster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDT2QdMnXg

no life

• Rep: -31
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
Most gay is urge and fetish like I like, only downside to full mentally gays is u can't reproduce. Faggot means annoying and I do t use gay for lame cause its not fashionable no more. I doubt any u guys except the gay ones actually feel bad about talkin like that in the 90s, doubt it, u just showin out it, was straight up cultural norm.
you sound like a homophobe

shripshrapper

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you sound like a homophobe

you sound like a piece of shit!

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on..
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

according to this article, apparently sheckler’s younger brother is named kane after caine gayle.... soooooooooooo

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/05/news/mn-31687

Fuck that article is terrible.

The boy bounces on the canvas, his calf muscles tightened in small knots as he manipulates a skate deck with his feet