Author Topic: Riding different sized trucks  (Read 2381 times)

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
Riding different sized trucks
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »

just got a polar Herrington skate pimp p8 shape deck. Here's what the description from noteshop says.

Polar Skate Co. Aaron Herrington Drug Pimp professional skateboard deck. P8 shape. Width: 8.8" widest point. Length: 32.125". Nose: 7". Wheel base: 14.5". Tail: 6.5".

I got Indy's, 159s (8.75) on right now. On the description the key word is widest point. Seems the tail gets narrow because I can see my wheels pretty good on the tail.

What's the rule of thumb is for using two different sized trucks. Seems like a no-no but so does having your wheels stick out from under your board. I'd like my board to be over my wheels and not have my board looking like some douchebags import car with the wheels sticking out. Could I put a 149 on the back with the 159 on the front and be ok. Ok, meaning my board should turn correctly  and what not.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:45:41 AM by Switch_fsflip_noseslide »
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

Not Local

Re: What size trucks to put on a set up
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
149s. I've skated that shape and used 149s with conical wide wheels and it worked great. Generally speaking I'd rather have the front be slightly under width than the back being over width. If you look at photos from the 80s when shape taper was pretty extreme a lot of people's front trucks were narrower than the deck.

In saying that 159s will be just fine if you're already using them...

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
you cud use indy 169 in front and 159 in back.  i use indy 149 in front and 144 in back on 8.38 and i think it feels amazing. best setup for me evar.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, what’s the width at the back truck?

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:39:06 AM »
I'll edit the post to make sure it's more clear....But they're both 159 atm. Just was curious if anyone rode different sized trucks, and of so how was the turmimg....? Might put the 149 on just the back and see how it goes since other people have done it and won't be a complete waste of time.

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
you cud use indy 169 in front and 159 in back.  i use indy 149 in front and 144 in back on 8.38 and i think it feels amazing. best setup for me evar.

Thought 169 was a 9in setup

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'll edit the post to make sure it's more clear....But they're both 159 atm. Just was curious if anyone rode different sized trucks, and of so how was the turmimg....? Might put the 149 on just the back and see how it goes since other people have done it and won't be a complete waste of time.

Oh yeah sorry, I was thinking of the deck width at the back truck, like it’s 8.8 at its widest but how much does it taper off? 8.4?

Regarding using two different trucks I’d imagine a bit slower turning with the wider one in front, but nothing you couldn’t get used to.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oh yeah sorry, I was thinking of the deck width at the back truck, like it’s 8.8 at its widest but how much does it taper off? 8.4?

Regarding using two different trucks I’d imagine a bit slower turning with the wider one in front, but nothing you couldn’t get used to.

it turn faster bcuz there is more dive in the front

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, thinking about it now that’s the way it would work isn’t it - and I see you’ve actually done it yourself.
Actually sounds like it could be really fun!

Disregard my previous take on it OP.

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, thinking about it now that’s the way it would work isn’t it - and I see you’ve actually done it yourself.
Actually sounds like it could be really fun!

Disregard my previous take on it OP.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
Re: What size trucks to put on shaped boards
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/decks-by-brand-183-c.asp

This site posts the width at each truck.  Useful resource if they have the deck you want.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Riding different sized trucks
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
The geometry of the truck, not the width, mostly determines turning. You'd probably never notice.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
Re: Riding different sized trucks
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
I used to ride a wider truck on my hand me down Gonz vision deck in the early 90's, and I'm pretty sure this was not uncommon in the days before popsicles. Never bothered me but I was a little kid so it's not like I knew any better.