Author Topic: Corey Duffel | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 113  (Read 18084 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
Re: Corey Duffel | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 113
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
Expand Quote
baker beagle is a punk...caught feelings because CD called him the fake beagle?? Well the real beagle was a legit pro baker beagle is more bro than pro.
[close]

Reminds of the whole rick ross deal. There is the fake rapper rick ross who stole freeway rick ross’ name and has claimed it as his own. Kind of corny trying to front on someone else’s name

True,

And let's be honest the whole baker camp hasn't really been very original with nicknames, have they?
Lizard king? Beagle? The boss? The Nuge? Slash?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
baker beagle is a punk...caught feelings because CD called him the fake beagle?? Well the real beagle was a legit pro baker beagle is more bro than pro.
[close]

Reminds of the whole rick ross deal. There is the fake rapper rick ross who stole freeway rick ross’ name and has claimed it as his own. Kind of corny trying to front on someone else’s name
[close]

True,

And let's be honest the whole baker camp hasn't really been very original with nicknames, have they?
At least 3 of those nicknames dudes already had b4 they were on Baker.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:10:48 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
Gotta day that I’ve got more empathy for the guy after listening to this.  Glad they brought up the Big Brother article; I was half expecting them to just not mention it at all. 

Just another example that pro skaters are just people and they are filled with the same (or more) insecurities as everyone else. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
I'm blown away someone can talk for three hours straight without really being asked a question.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
I'm glad Duffel took control of the interview. Chris can ask some dumbass questions and come off as clueless a lot but just to have Duffel candidly talk about his experiences was refreshing. Duffel was my favorite from maybe 04-09, and it's weird I had such a different view on him. The punk image made him seem kinda like a too-cool asshole but now he seems like a guy who's still 16 and wants to go skate and hangout with his friends. I'd be down for another Duffel interview on here.

As for Duffel's infamous N-Word use, I say fuck it. My feelings when hurt when I first heard about it on here like 8 years ago but it's easy to look back now, during an age of internet righteousness, but people say dumb shit when they're 15 and even up into their 20s. I used the F word and the R word heavily until a few years ago. As long as you own up to it, admit your mistake, and better yourself it shouldn't follow you you're entire life.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote
What’s this about rape?
[close]

tried to look for it, didn't find anything but this little essay has not aged well.  first part is an e-mail his manager or whatever received from a bookstore owner, and the second part is his reaction.  nothing too serious of course but man he sounds clueless.

http://www.chrisnieratko.com/oct07.htm

Our event host did, however, have an unpleasant experience with Chris. She had some tattoos showing, he asked if she had others, she said yes but couldn’t show them because she was wearing a dress. He then continued to ask about the tattoos, then started asking about seeing her naked. She was extremely uncomfortable. I wanted to pass this onto you, simply because I thought you should know that his behavior on tour might not be ideal.”

I was floored, overrun with a flurry of emotions: anger, disbelief, even sadness that someone mistook my joking demeanor to heart. I was blown away and unsure how to respond. I showed some friends the letter in LA as soon as I received it and they said, “Your behavior might not be ideal? When the hell is your behavior anywhere near ideal?” Sarah said for me not to worry about it, that they should have known what to expect just from the tone of the book. But then I went from feeling bad for the girl to feeling like someone who had been falsely accused of rape. Yes I asked to take naked pictures of the girl but not until after stating and restating it was for my next book and that I was happily married and uninterested in her beyond photographing her. Then some friends suggested that might have been the problem. Perhaps she was angry or felt slighted that I wasn’t interested on a physical level. Whatever it was it severely damaged the little faith I had left in humanity. When a man cannot JOKE with a woman in a sexual way for fear of lawsuit or complaint we have a real problem. I would hate for that woman to ever have to meet my Uncle John who has no problem asking a complete stranger what color panties she is wearing.

so he was joking, or he was seriously proposing the photographs for his next book?

and then he posts a picture of the girl for seemingly no reason (albeit her eyes covered)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2018, 03:04:47 PM »
Great episode, Corey's great, he ran the show.

Crob needs to pick up his game.

Mmmm

Mhhhmmm

yeah

OK

Sure

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
I back Corey. I respect anyone who can own up to their actions and sincerely apologize for something they did or something they said. That aside, I was kinda surprised by him using "cocksucker" as a pejorative term. Seems kinda weird to make big confessions about how you used to say fucked up shit and use fucked up words and how close he is to BA and then say "That dude's a COCKSUCKER!!!"

Also Nieratko is a douche regardless of if he had any responsibility or obligation in the Duffel interview.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
I back Corey. I respect anyone who can own up to their actions and sincerely apologize for something they did or something they said. That aside, I was kinda surprised by him using "cocksucker" as a pejorative term. Seems kinda weird to make big confessions about how you used to say fucked up shit and use fucked up words and how close he is to BA and then say "That dude's a COCKSUCKER!!!"

Also Nieratko is a douche regardless of if he had any responsibility or obligation in the Duffel interview.
p-shaw, if you think chris is bad, you oughtta meet his uncle johnny negrotaco. johnny has no problem asking women for their panties.

^it's referenced in that article but i don't wanna drag pi$$ too bad, how was he sposedta know the way that would read today? the culture was tougher 15 or so yrs ago and skating couldn't have gotten to where we are now w/out it.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 04:16:06 PM »
Always backed corey, made a couple of stupid comments in his youth, big deal, get over it or dont, nobody cares. Listening to this at work tomorrow, from the comments here looks like it will be a good one. Cant wait for the part to drop.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
Speaking of Nieratko interviews that didn't age well:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbz8jw/epicly-made-over-985-v16n8

Did I miss the Paul Mitchell story?

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:58 PM »
Anybody from Atlanta area know the spot he got fucked up on?  Wasn’t it at Guitar Center or something?  My memory is hazy.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »

doubtful but possible SOTY?
two parts, a thrasher interview, all he needs is a cover?
That would please me so much. His part ealier this year is still in my top 3 of the year!

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2018, 01:13:17 AM »
I really like Duffel, I don't know how many times he needs to apologize but respect for him for assuming his mistake.

Just re-watched his parts and if he didn't said that and had a better sponsors I think he would be one of the best of his era. Anyway can't wait for his new part, defenitily he deserves a soty nomination.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2018, 02:28:15 AM »
I don’t love the nine club, but that was a quality interview, and made me like Duffman even more.

About the interview, the person he was talking about let it go, so everyone else shouldn’t have any problem with it.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't know much about Duffel but Neiratko autobiographically bragging about raping a girl in college is pretty disgusting.
[close]
Alright if you don't know much about duffle you can start by reading the excert posted above of an interview he gave towards the beginning of his career. At least duffle is worth knowing something about. We're all idiots for letting characters like neiratko become influencial in the skate world, (Nobody HAD to do those dogshit interviews that niertko conducted).  That's how he's got a platform for his rape stories now, cause people just let anyone waltz into the scene if they own a shop or if they'll give you an interview or if they're  a snowboard slash skate rep.
[close]

Okay Chris calm down, niertko started the interview by making fun of him, as a 15 year old kid a lot of us would have been more immature
[close]
    So the word "immature" is the word we're gonna chose now to  describe someone saying "nigger this and nigger that" huh?  And it's okay cause the interviewer "made fun of him"
[close]

jfc give it a rest
[close]
You don't like to hear it?! Get fucked
[close]

we've been hearing it for 20 fucking years now.  you're so so noble with your crusade, though, give yourself a pat on the back
[close]
Read the thread dickhead there was no crusade.  The only reason I piped up was cause someone tried to say that Niertko "pushed" Corey to say "nigger" which is patently false.  I fucking think Corey duffel is rad and also realize he's made amends.  My only crusade is against you fuckers on slap bending the truth to suit who you like and don't.  PS shut the fuk up

To be fair, I’m pretty sure he actually called Stevie a “niggaw”.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 06:45:57 AM »
Anybody from Atlanta area know the spot he got fucked up on?  Wasn’t it at Guitar Center or something?  My memory is hazy.
Haven't listen to the interview yet but I'd guess they were referring to the slam at the beginning of this part?

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Mcfctid

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

True,

Its Brian "Slash" Hansen, you gotta say the whole thing bro!

As for the episode,  its nice to see him moving forward and enjoying life as well as skating.  I could watch him slappy curbs for a part and still be stoked

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
If Duffel a madman? It was good to hear him speak on the BB quotes, but he seemed like he was inviting the hate to burn him for the homophobic stuff when he only gets it for the racist stuff.

Either way, great episode

stayfalse

• Rep: 5
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »

front nose cyclops

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
His genuine love for skateboarding and his acknowledgment of his mistakes are two reasons I definitely fuck with the duffman.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
If Duffel a madman? It was good to hear him speak on the BB quotes, but he seemed like he was inviting the hate to burn him for the homophobic stuff when he only gets it for the racist stuff.

No, because he's acknowledging that he's learned a few things since he was 16. It'd be hypocritical to be apologetic of one and not the other.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No, because he's acknowledging that he's learned a few things since he was 16. It'd be hypocritical to be apologetic of one and not the other.

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Instead of the same damn Corey Duffel conversation for the 200th time- lets discuss how he says that Pat Duffy is "the most important Bay Area Skateboarder" in the new Thrasher

The second dumbest thing he ever said.

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
Instead of the same damn Corey Duffel conversation for the 200th time- lets discuss how he says that Pat Duffy is "the most important Bay Area Skateboarder" in the new Thrasher

Pat Duffy is a pioneer of handrail skating and I could 100% see how Corey would think that. People like to bash Duffy for his current views but he brought skateboarding to the next level in the early 90’s.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
I don’t get why he said he’s broke now, they didn’t cover what happened with Osiris, I’m sure he made some good money before the recession

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
I don’t get why he said he’s broke now, they didn’t cover what happened with Osiris, I’m sure he made some good money before the recession

Blew it all on Nightmare Before Christmas merch and striped shirts.  :(

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
1. This was great. I’ve always thought Corey was rad yet a little corny, but his candidness and humility in this interview really shone a new light on him. I’ve understood how sorry and remorseful he’s been about the Big Brother incident but hearing him expand upon it in detail was pretty emotional and touching. I feel bad for the guy but at least his story can serve as inspiration not to be hateful.

2. How terrible of persons are the dudes who worked at Big Brother though? I never knew that Corey actually really tried and petitioned to get the interview nipped before it came out. The fact that those grown men in turn posted his tearful voicemails on the site is so shitty. And Nieratko just tells him “I made you” in the years since. FUCK that guy.

3. Hearing this reminded me just how many gnarly video parts he’s had. There’s That’s Life, Cataclysmic Abyss, Feed The Need, Right Food Forward, WTF, and then the oft-forgotten 88 Destroy Everything Now part. That ollie at the end is still one of the biggest ever done.

4. I totally forgot he went through a buff lumberjack phase. He should of beat up Beagle tbh but also respectable he let things go.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Blew it all on Nightmare Before Christmas merch and striped shirts.  :(

Dude, that sig. That's too fucking much to look at looping constantly.  :-\

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pat Duffy is a pioneer of handrail skating and I could 100% see how Corey would think that. People like to bash Duffy for his current views but he brought skateboarding to the next level in the early 90’s.
yeah, if pat subscribed to the shut up and skate newsletter, dudes would still be creaming hard over him for sure

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year