Author Topic: Returning to skating after 30 years  (Read 4911 times)

dragonblade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Returning to skating after 30 years
« on: September 26, 2018, 07:01:57 AM »
I used to skate in the mid to late 1980s and early 90s and I'm interested in getting back into it. I have participated in other board riding sports in recent years like sandboarding and dirtsurfing so hopefully, that should help a bit. Also did some snowboarding in the early 2000s. Back in the old days, I used to ride two Powell Peralta boards for street and ramp. One of those decks was autographed by Tony Hawk and Steve Caballero when I saw the Bones Brigade put on a demo in Adelaide, Australia. I would have put those boards to use again but they were stolen from my home so I'm up for a new board.

As most of my skating was done in the 80s, I’m drawn to 80s board designs and more interested in doing 80s tricks rather than the various kinds of flips that are done today. Though I would like to try ollie kickflips again. Back in the 80s, there were all these cool deck shapes like the classic fish tail. With modern boards, I’m wondering where all the curves have gone? As such, I’m not all that keen on getting a popsicle board with it’s plain straight lines. I also found a curved edge more comfortable to grab while getting air. And the extra width of the fishtail decks made landings more stable too.

I was set on getting a Powell Peralta reissue of a classic deck but looks like I may have to change my plans after reading a blog and some additional comments left by other skaters on that blog. Apparently, there are a lot of other skaters in the same predicament as me. Like me, they haven’t skated in about 30 years and want to jump back in and think that 80s style boards would suit them more since that’s what they used to ride back in the day.

However, apparently, a number of these people have found that they really struggled to do tricks and vert skating on these older style boards, even though they used to use the same kind of equipment over 30 years ago. The blog writer pointed out that our bodies are not the same as they were back in the 80s. I guess we were more athletic back then. I'm also a lot heavier now too. These bigger, heavier boards with huge wheels are proving to be a bit of a handful when folks of my generation get adventurous with our skating. Some of these same guys are noticing that they're making better progress with modern, lighter boards with smaller wheels – closer to the ground. It seems that wheel size in particular is making quite a difference.

Back in the 80s, I could ollie over a gutter and also over a ledge that was about a foot / foot and a half. Also ollied over a pile of 4 or 5 bricks on one occasion. Some time after I left the hobby, I briefly borrowed someone's board to have a go and I discovered that I could not ollie anymore which was a real surprise to me. I'm sure I was using the same technique and same foot placement etc. And about a year ago, I tried doing ollies on a skateboard I found at a rubbish dump (just fooling around) and I hardly made any progress at all. I may have gotten about a mm or 2 of air at the most. So it looks like I need all the help that I can get with regards to board design and wheel size. And I guess that means getting a modern board. I guess I could always get a Powell Peralta reissue later down the track. For now, I’m just interested in getting a complete (modern) board that’s all set up. Though I would still like a retro shape if possible.

After recommendations, Ive been looking at Globe boards recently. However, it seems that the Globe decks with the retro shapes are meant more for cruising and are equipped with great big 60mm soft wheels. On the other hand, their popsicle boards come with wheels that are bit too small for my liking (a disadvantage in rough / uneven terrain) and are super hard. A medium sized wheel would be ideal. And since I want to ride a mix of street and skate park, I'd probably need wheel hardness of around 95A. I guess I could replace the wheels of a complete board with a set of 95A wheels but the dilemma I'm facing is that 95A wheels only seem to be available in huge sizes – around 64mm. Are there any other brands that others recommend?

shit_for_brains

Re: Returning to skating after 30 years
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »
Just order any complete from any website, get some styrofoam blocks with a notch cut out so you can stand the whole thing up vertically on the tail, squat over that bad boy, and slide it right up your ass.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:09 AM »
holy wall of text have you been writing that post for 30 years as well?
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

dragonblade

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »
holy wall of text have you been writing that post for 30 years as well?

I do admit I ramble on a bit at times, just like the Led Zeppelin song.

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
do you really expect anyone with an opinion that matters to even being to attempt reading such a large post?

"im old and gay" would have sufficed perfectly you're going to want a ripndip with krux and cruiserwheels

The Prophet.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
Welcome back to skateboarding man!

I just returned after about a 10 year hiatus. I'm about to turn 30 and feel young again... Although I'm sure you are in a similar situation with relearning tricks and such.

I don't have any advice on boards for you, wish I could help, sorry. Was just excited to see somebody get back into this hobby. Haha.

My suggestions are Powell and Santa Cruz. I feel like I have seen them make a few retro style boards out there.

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »

I don't have any advice on boards for you, wish I could help, sorry. Was just excited to see somebody get back into this hobby. Haha.

excellent first post

The Prophet.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:36:30 AM »
Also.. If you can't find a board with the shape you want, maybe trying a wider 8.5"+ popsicle board may help. I skated 7.5 and 7.75" back when people still did, but on my first setup after getting back into it I bought an 8.25" knowing I'll be more old school with my skating - and learning bowls/transition at our new park. Feels like a boat, but comfy. Just having problems with my tre's under-rotating.

I guess us older fells rant nonsense too much... haha

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
I'm 45. I skated from 87-93, then started up again in 2013.  My 2nd board was a Powell Mike Vallely. I have fond memories of the decks from that time.

Don't get a reissue.  Just fucking don't.   We skated those boards because that's all we had.  If you want to kick turn in a ditch, fine.  If you actually want to start skating again and relearning things you should get a modern board. The equipment now is so much better.  I like a concave that actually holds my feet. 

I have multiple boards built up right now including a  10" Joe Lopes reissue - with a modern concave, not the shitty flat one - all the way down to an 8" popsicle.   The Joe Lopes is good for riding around town and .. um.. um.. nope.. that's it.

No way would I skate 95a wheels in the skatepark. Too damn slow. I want as much effortless speed as possible. I get less tired and don't have to pump as hard.  I skate 101a, or Bones SPF and STF.  On a board I am skating street as well I would maybe go as low as 99.

Get around an 8.75" mildly shaped board (interesting nose/tail but fairly straight rails) with Spitfire Formula 4 99a wheels around 55mm in the shape you like. Probably with Indys - hollow forged or titanium if you can afford them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »
If you had kept skating you'd know the correct answer is to buy both...and then consider piecing together another after those two drive you nuts.....or just hang the re-issue.....

They make modern shaped boards if that's your jam but Popsicles work great and are readily available...

My advice is to go into a shop, and look at what's going on in skating today, it's the best it's ever been...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:18 AM »
I'm 45. I skated from 87-93, then started up again in 2013.  My 2nd board was a Powell Mike Vallely. I have fond memories of the decks from that time.

Don't get a reissue.  Just fucking don't.   We skated those boards because that's all we had.  If you want to kick turn in a ditch, fine.  If you actually want to start skating again and relearning things you should get a modern board. The equipment now is so much better.  I like a concave that actually holds my feet. 

I have multiple boards built up right now including a  10" Joe Lopes reissue - with a modern concave, not the shitty flat one - all the way down to an 8" popsicle.   The Joe Lopes is good for riding around town and .. um.. um.. nope.. that's it.

No way would I skate 95a wheels in the skatepark. Too damn slow. I want as much effortless speed as possible. I get less tired and don't have to pump as hard.  I skate 101a, or Bones SPF and STF.  On a board I am skating street as well I would maybe go as low as 99.

Get around an 8.75" mildly shaped board (interesting nose/tail but fairly straight rails) with Spitfire Formula 4 99a wheels around 55mm in the shape you like. Probably with Indys - hollow forged or titanium if you can afford them.

I took a spin on a mid-life crisis/nostalgia board recently, Winkowski, big ass heavy indy standards, slow and soft AF Slimeballs...there was nothing 'fun' about it to me; it was big, slow and heavy (even if the tail felt amazing, locking my foot in as it has an extra kick at the end).

As mentioned prior, get yourself a more modern ride, go into a shop and stand on some decks. Perhaps check out some Black Label, Welcome boards if you want something shaped but current.

Get some ACEs and some 99a Spitfire Conicals.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:52:19 AM by Xen »

dragonblade

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
Thanks for the good replies and welcomes.

My 2nd board was a Powell Mike Vallely. I have fond memories of the decks from that time.

Oh yea there were some awesome graphics on the decks from that era.

Thanks for the recommendations. I hope 99A wheels won't get chewed up on any rough patches on the street? Sometimes the terrain around here can get a bit bumpy.

HangtenNoseblunt

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:04 AM »
what exactly is a dragon blade

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »

Expand Quote
My 2nd board was a Powell Mike Vallely. I have fond memories of the decks from that time.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the recommendations. I hope 99A wheels won't get chewed up on any rough patches on the street? Sometimes the terrain around here can get a bit bumpy.
Go a little softer then, a number of companies make some good 97a wheels

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Make sure you get rails for your deck so the graphic doesn't get scraped off from those board-slides too man! No one will know how sick you are if they can't see your awesome board graphic!

dragonblade

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
Make sure you get rails for your deck so the graphic doesn't get scraped off from those board-slides too man! No one will know how sick you are if they can't see your awesome board graphic!

For the PP reissue, I'd add rails. But not for the modern deck. I notice tail guards are out of fashion too.

By the way, I found board slides on curbs really fun back in the 80s. That's one of the things I look forward to doing again.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 12:02:31 PM »
what exactly is a dragon blade

Aren’t those the things that new moms use to extract and save breast milk?

Also, the ace trucks/ 99a f4 conical combo is a great recommendation. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:06:45 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
Really really disappointed with everyone in here and you've all been reported.

sk8bones

• Rep: -15
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
]

I took a spin on a mid-life crisis/nostalgia board recently, Winkowski, big ass heavy indy standards, slow and soft AF Slimeballs...there was nothing 'fun' about it to me; it was big, slow and heavy (even if the tail felt amazing, locking my foot in as it has an extra kick at the end).

As mentioned prior, get yourself a more modern ride, go into a shop and stand on some decks. Perhaps check out some Black Label, Welcome boards if you want something shaped but current.

Get some ACEs and some 99a Spitfire Conicals.

I love my Winkowski set up like that. It's a different kind of fun. Different ride for sure. More challenging a bit too. Just buy all the skateboards and play tinker toys until you find one you like. I saw people killing giant Albuquerque ditches on Powell reissues in April. Put 4 wheels down and go is my advice. Do you. That's what skateboarding is.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
A friend of my brothers who was a pretty well know skater came by my mom's house while I was visiting the other day.  He had just opened up a new skate shop In Houston and my 7 year old daughter was intrigued.  I bought myself and her new boards and we've been skating every day for the last few months now.  This is after 15 years or so not being on a board.  I was actually kind of surprised that I could immediately do several basic flip tricks right away and after a few months am pretty comfortable on a board again.  I think most of all I'm happy she wanted a skateboard and not a scooter

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 06:43:33 PM »
I'm 43 and skated from 1986-1994 and have returned. I too fell for the nostalgia trap and was less than stoked on the results. Now I'm on a nice 8.5 Alien Workshop with some Bones STF's (54mm) and Thunders (because Indys are too heavy, imo) and it rules.

You probably have some disposable income...just buy shit and see what you like. Whatever you're not feeling, flow it to a nice kid at the park that needs it. I dunno.

This is all fun and wild. I feel like I drew a straight line to who I used to be and it is pretty awesome.

dragonblade

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
Tally and Shoeproblem, sounds like you're both getting back into the swing of things. Glad your making a good transition into skating again. I'm gradually getting back into it with another 80s board - actually my very first skateboard - UFOS brand. Refamiliarising myself with the basics. It'll do for now until I get something better.

Regarding modern decks, I'm also considering concave as well. Ive heard some say that riding a board with a deep concave can lead to uncomfortable feet after a while which I find off putting. Considering that, I think I'd prefer a medium or mellow concave. Ive been checking out Element decks though the specs simply say: "performance concave." Ive tried looking up that term but I'm not getting any specific info. Out of curiosity, would anyone know how much concave the Element decks generally have? Also curious about the amount of concave that Black Label and Welcome decks have. I tried to find out that info too but wasn't successful. Xen, there are some really nice looking decks from those companies.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:07:38 AM by dragonblade »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
Welcome boards are pressed by PS Stix which is Paul Schmitt's woodshop; they're generally on the mellower side.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
Yea I'm in my early 30 so I missed the retro board era.  Was a huge alien workshop fan and rode those for years with some grind Kings.  Since coming back I bought a deathwish 8.25 with some ace trucks and the setup was just too heavy with the aces.  I'm on a hockey now with the big nose and I really dig it tbh and got some hollow Indys to lighten it up and I feel much better on it now.  Still shopping at the same skate shop I did as a kid.  Southside skateshop in Houston and a friend from high school just opened up a shop so I've been experimenting with my setup.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3328
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »
Stoked on this thread and shit_for_brains shame on you.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
Op might be a bot.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »
With shapes and concave, really the only way to go about it is go to a shop with a big selection and check out what they have.  Even the best online shops with lots of photos of boards are pale in comparison to holding that hard wood in your hands.  Bonus points if you flip it over and give it the ol' one eye to see if it is warped.  Then, put it on the carpet, act like you are going to drop in, but then don't.  That is the only way I have found to inspect skateboards and ascertain their quality.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
Stoked on this thread and shit_for_brains shame on you.

I actually laughed pretty hard at his post.

It was well written, imo.

dragonblade

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
Planman, oh yea I since saw a youtube video review of a Welcome board and the guy noted that it had a mellow concave. Though he also said that the deck was heavy - possibly due to the bigger size I guess. Ive also found out that Black Label boards have a deep concave. And Globe decks are generally the same in that regard. Still don't know about the concave on Element boards though someone says their decks chip more easily compared to other decks.

Tally810, wow that sounds like a long running skate shop. I bet they've seen quite a few changes in the industry through their life time.

Pugmaster, excellent advice. Yea usually I would go into a skate shop to try out decks but at the moment, I'm based on an island and there are no such stores here. So I can only do my decision making online.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:11:26 PM by dragonblade »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
Something like 70% of major skate brands are pressed by the same people....black label and element are the same but the concaves can be different.  In general I think all of the boards will work fine.  The proportions are just more functional on a modern board versus a re-issue.  Those Welcome boards I thought the concaves and the quality were good...not overly heavy.

Not to say I don't obsess over gear but truthfully most of the stuff is good quality.