Author Topic: Julien Stranger  (Read 216604 times)

Basingstoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Julien Stranger
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:21 PM »
Backlips in the middle of ledges. Now go look at Gino's backlip at Flushing Meadows in Yeah Right, you can see where the style influence comes from.

Stranger can't be faulted, innovative, first to really Pop shuv it's and make a lot of tricks seem legitimate, unchanging style, Anti Hero seems to be doing well. So in conclusion good on and off the board.

krapnek

• Rep: 1
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Backlips in the middle of ledges. Now go look at Gino's backlip at Flushing Meadows in Yeah Right, you can see where the style influence comes from.

Stranger can't be faulted, innovative, first to really Pop shuv it's and make a lot of tricks seem legitimate, unchanging style, Anti Hero seems to be doing well. So in conclusion good on and off the board.

only pop shuv i've ever seen of his was in tent city over a skatepark hip.  i don't recall any in skypager or the spitfire video.  know where i can see one?

i heard that at one point anti hero was deluxe's best selling brand.  hope so. 

mikefork

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »
anti hero is my favorite company and generally stranger boards have my favorite shapes and sizes so its always a no brainer on what board to buy unless there is a similar cardiel. vans should have him full on for sure too. i'm not going to lie either, i started wearing green shirts and brown pants after watching anti hero videos when i first really started getting into skating a few year ago. hell i even started rising extremely loose trucks too when i first really started getting into skating because stranger did
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:58:46 PM by mikefork »

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »
Damn,

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  if you can't perform in front of a camera, then why do you think you are worthy of earning an income off skateboarding.  What kid really cares about this guy?  Where and when was his last part?  How much of an impact did it make?  The answer:  NONE!

If a tree falls in the woods and no body's there to hear it........

I'm sure he'll look at this post and go "damn it, I gotta film a part for this spoiled brat on the net cause he matters"!

Retards like you need to just go away.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote
he was kind of a loner. but yes he would come skate embarcadero all the time. i love his style more than anything. hope he is doing well. i kinda miss the dirt bag.
[close]

when did he get so damn good?  i know the front board was milestone, but other than that his footage in sick boyz and  speedfreaks doesn't really stand out for the time. 

what about in fucktatrds when he skate benicia? that kickflip straight over one of the banks is definitly one of the best ever.

His part in sickboys is a classic. I saw it a year after it was made and it was top notch for a while. Kids will never know cause he didn't care to go out and film everything. You guys missed out on a great but I'm sure he doesn't care. Real heads know.

isaac

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
Saw Julien do switch frontside boarslides on a thigh high flat bar. So sick.

mbcls

• Rep: -3
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »
something that alot of younger dudes dont understand is that there are some people who dont need to put out footage all the time and still be pro. kenny hughes has only one full length part, but if you see him skate in person youll know why he's pro. same with julien stranger. some dudes just got it, but maybe dont care to film it all.

urujuay

• Rep: 13
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
Damn,

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  if you can't perform in front of a camera, then why do you think you are worthy of earning an income off skateboarding.  What kid really cares about this guy?  Where and when was his last part?  How much of an impact did it make?  The answer:  NONE!

If a tree falls in the woods and no body's there to hear it........
impact?  you fucking idiot.  it's skateboarding.  "if a tree falls".  think about that in regards to your life and how you never can amount to anything no matter how hard you try and why it matters anyways.  now end your life.
Whats the big deal with roors? If you have to ask, you'll never know...

bayses

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 05:04:06 PM »
Saw him early 90's skating black rock with tommy g. filming during lunch hour rush, dude was just carving around everyone, would hit the ledge then pop out and carve around a random buisness person. I was bumping in too people just watching him...tommy was filming so that footy is out there somewhere....

He's earned the right to skate how and when he likes for a living and not have to worry about having a filmer. Who wouldn't want that...

fuckingvegan

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
I use to see him at the Almeda skatepark with his girlfriend on early am sessions (I am talking 9 am type stuff). thigh high switch flips over the one hip there and just all around cruising and ripping style. He was always stand offish but not in a dick head way, he would say hi and that was about it.

He is and always shall be one of my favorite skateboarders, hating him is just plan dumb, show me one bit of bad footage, it doesn't exist and many pros could learn a lesson from that.

Anti Hero changed skateboarding in a lot of ways, along with the east coast explosion in the mid 90's it made skateboarding made to me again the same way it did in the mid 80's, it made me not ashamed to be a skater like I was because of the early 90's.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »

spracker

• Rep: 0
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
  I had those shoes.

Mr. Stranger might not be mr. popular, but he ruled. Example, thrasher cover from the early 90's with him backside disaster sliding the ledge coming out of the lowest story of the bus terminal in downtown SF. Burley, he had to clear 3 or 4 steps off the end of the ledge if I recall correctly.

This shirt is old and worn, but I can't get rid of it,

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 08:10:43 PM »
that shirt is the sickest thing ever.  fuck.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
  I had those shoes.

Mr. Stranger might not be mr. popular, but he ruled. Example, thrasher cover from the early 90's with him backside disaster sliding the ledge coming out of the lowest story of the bus terminal in downtown SF. Burley, he had to clear 3 or 4 steps off the end of the ledge if I recall correctly.

This shirt is old and worn, but I can't get rid of it,

Fucking hell that is rad, I would kill for that shirt.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »

sklls?itsthe90sguy

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2007, 08:47:49 PM »
'Jailed...First Gator, Now Swindell, You're Next!!!'...they don't make cover blurbs like that anymore

alexander32thegrea

• Rep: -17
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 09:08:58 PM »
thanks for finding and posting that it's fantastic i've only seen a couple other fotos of this dude and without fail their always oozing with style . keep posting if ya got em

alexander32thegrea

• Rep: -17
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
sit back and enjoy 21 seconds of style and grace. i dont give a fuck what was done down wallenberg besides gonz's first rip rape ollie in video days julien stranger owns this place . check the scoop and front foot on the back three sixty. shiiiiiit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpo85lOQfkg

Lomaz

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

only pop shuv i've ever seen of his was in tent city over a skatepark hip.  i don't recall any in skypager or the spitfire video.  know where i can see one?

He does one in this part as well as some dope 360 ollies and a sick nosepick hop off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfR3TccJzU

bobjohn

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:16 PM »
http://brainwashvictim.com/thrasher94/th011994spitjulien25.html

He's active with his company and always touring and always skating. He's still one of the harderst working skaters who doesn't have media exposure.

And, yes, the kids don't care. He's more popular with older skaters who still seem to buy his board, thus justifying the existence of a signature deck (if legacy wasn't enough).

That syringe graphic is my favorite skate graphic of all time.

spracker

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »

FUCK YES.

I remember looking at that ledge after that mag came out, fucking nutbar, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of steps out of the pic that he had to clear, maybe someone from SF can confirm.

So rad you found that cover!

EDIT- Check out the 38 mm wheels on what look to be 159's.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:26:44 PM by spracker »

spracker

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 10:22:56 PM »

That syringe graphic is my favorite skate graphic of all time.

It was his first pro model as well, the magazine add for it said something like "Mom says if theres a syringe in my board graphic I'll have to move out, guess it's time to move on."

And what about "Santa Monica Airlines"? Does that ever bring back memories, shit was top shelf back in the day.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »
He does one in this part as well as some dope 360 ollies and a sick nosepick hop off.

Thank you sir.

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »
julien must be one GNARLY dude

to have sheffeys utmost respect

gully

absolute

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »
ok this topic is worth talking about...
does anyone remember that real ad with julien doing a fronside ollie over one of the benchs at china banks? he was wearing that natas devil l/s shirt and no socks.... gnarly.
if someones got it please post it..
oh yeah..
here's a link for the spitfire vid, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7338258098924453859
his parts at the end. I think this has some of the boardslide footage that people have been talking about at blackrock sf...
and to whoever was comparing alex olsen's style to julien's (maybe not this thread), yeah, I totally agree as well, that was the first thing that popped into my head when watching gnar gnar.

krapnek

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2007, 03:36:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks man. i didn't know that part was out there.  is there anything else?  early thrasher vids?

krapnek

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2007, 03:39:27 AM »
ok this topic is worth talking about...
does anyone remember that real ad with julien doing a fronside ollie over one of the benchs at china banks? he was wearing that natas devil l/s shirt and no socks.... gnarly.
if someones got it please post it..
oh yeah..
here's a link for the spitfire vid, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7338258098924453859
his parts at the end. I think this has some of the boardslide footage that people have been talking about at blackrock sf...
and to whoever was comparing alex olsen's style to julien's (maybe not this thread), yeah, I totally agree as well, that was the first thing that popped into my head when watching gnar gnar.

that's a great photo.  i've got a painted rendering of it. 

yeah, alex olson's really got something similar going.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2007, 04:03:50 AM »

It was his first pro model as well, the magazine add for it said something like "Mom says if theres a syringe in my board graphic I'll have to move out, guess it's time to move on."

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2007, 04:43:33 AM »
best slap thread in years

otis b driftwood

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2007, 05:05:12 AM »
when people talk about natas and gonz as the originators of street skating, julien should be in there too.