Author Topic: help losing weight  (Read 6098 times)

35yearoldloser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
help losing weight
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
been slipping off as ive gotten older i used to be real heavy in skating and hit but recently ive been getting pretty large (250 lbs.) anyone out thre got any tips or has gone through this?

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

Re: help losing weight
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
I take all natural apple cider vinegar to keep toxins out my body but it also burns fat. Take it only on a empty stomach. you'll notice it right away. It'll even open up your breathing passages. Go to gnc and ask for it.
3 capfulls a day per 8 ounces of water, 3 times a day. Putting honey in it makes it taste better and work better.
It's fucking simple and you don't have to eat sprouts and shit.

mikefork

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »
every winter i gain weight and it always goes away after skating all day long when i skate which with weather permitting is between 5-7 days a week. drink water and nothing else, if you're going somewhere within a few miles walk instead of driving there, situps, push ups, jumping jacks, running/jogging, jump rope, and if you feel hungry between breakfeast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or whatever eat fruit instead of whatever

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 04:34:22 PM »
so true. Nothing beats a workout. If you don't skate, basketball is the next best thing.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »
Try going to the sub tropics, lost about 20 kg's.

Diesel

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 05:16:50 PM »
been slipping off as ive gotten older i used to be real heavy in skating and hit but recently ive been getting pretty large (250 lbs.) anyone out thre got any tips or has gone through this?

250poundloser???

golgo13

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
most importantly is to cut out as much sugar as you can, soda,candy etc.
drink alot of water, you should be drinking about a gallon a day.
eat more protien, your body has to work harder to digest it, thus burning more fat.
the more muscle you have the more fat you burn, lift weights a few times a week, nothing serious but do what you can.
go for walks,maybe jog a little, stretch more.
dont eat out. make yourself simple meals.
beer will make you fat quick.
id look into a program to jumpstart your metabolisim, theres a few good books out there.
doing at least a few of those things will impact your weight and health quickly.
hope it helps.

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
lay off the beer and cheezies

bobjohn

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 01:57:32 AM »
Running doesn't work for me. If you do it seriously, you'll see that it's almost as easy to injure yourself as from skating. It's high impact and bad for your knees in the long term.

Cycling works well. Use a gear lower than is comfortable so you don't build bulky leg muscles that will make your skating awkward.

Eat sprouts and shit.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:08:20 AM »
Honestly basketball is this shit in that regard. Running sucks cause it's boring.
Pick up games of basketball will condition you better than anything and you'll be having fun.
you can get hurt easy though but if you just run up and down the court and play hard  yet conservative
you'll be aright. At your weight though you'd better have some basketball shoes with good cushion in the sole.I notice if you play hard d and hustle you'll get the best workout. I use to play for like 4-5 hours straight and would be lose over 10 lbs in water weight from one outing. I'd be beat afterwards but it was so fun and it was a workout. I could never force myself to get that same workout from running cause I'd just get too bored.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 02:26:04 AM »
football (soccer) is really good also.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
I'm at 195 right now and working at getting back to the 170-175 range. 

A lot of what has been said already is really true.

-Cut out as much sugar as possible.  I have a half teaspoon in coffee and that's generally it. 
-Drink only water.  Especially don't drink pop and soda.  Most fruit juice is also very high in calories.  Eat fruit and veggies instead of drinking juice and if you really want juice...cut it by half with water. 
-Cut down on your drinking and remember 1 ounce of hard liquor has just as many calories as one beer.  I actually seem to have more fun these days now that I drink way way less. 

-Get into a routine.  If you're going to go to the gym then make yourself a schedule and keep to it.  Otherwise, you'll deviate away from it too easily.

Get some exercise.  Biking, Soccer, Basketball.  I think basketball is the shit when you're with some good friends.

Use this site:  www.fitday.com  to monitor your calories and exercise. 
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

• Rep: 48
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
If you want low impact but high energy burning, then I'd do the elliptical machines:

Make sure you get on a machine that works out your upper body also (you'll see a jump in your heart rate during your workout).  I put in at least a half an hour, three times a week on this.  Really easy on my bad knee.

“Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
“…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”

jrock

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 06:48:42 PM »
get ulcers.   i lost 50 pounds in the last year, 20 in the last two weeks...anyone know the best way to gain weight quickly?

kelchmonster

• WHAT FOOL!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »
dont laugh. i got fat in ohio. got up to 238 punds. i started doing tae boe with my friend, and ended up getting down to 180 with a good diet and the exercise. the shit works, makes you flexible, and you can learn to kick more ass.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:12 AM »
I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. take your lunch and put half in a togo for later and eat it 2 - 3 hours later. You should never feel full, only not hungry. If you are dieting right then you will feel not hungry then after about 1 1/2 hour start feeling hungry and then just hold out for another hour and eat. It's not so difficult to do because you always know your next meal is only 2hours away. Most serious diets have a concept of more smaller meals. The theory behind it is that we only eat 3 large meals because of the industrial revolution and that our bodies are built for grazing.

kelchmonster

• WHAT FOOL!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 12:29:05 PM »
well written.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:41:32 PM »
staying off the booze helps tons.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 12:58:35 PM »
and weed.

When I smoked, I smoked on the weekends only and would notice I'd look pretty thin on Friday but Sunday I was a whale. Now I'm just normal and don't eat excessive munchies.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. take your lunch and put half in a togo for later and eat it 2 - 3 hours later. You should never feel full, only not hungry. If you are dieting right then you will feel not hungry then after about 1 1/2 hour start feeling hungry and then just hold out for another hour and eat. It's not so difficult to do because you always know your next meal is only 2hours away. Most serious diets have a concept of more smaller meals. The theory behind it is that we only eat 3 large meals because of the industrial revolution and that our bodies are built for grazing.

how small of a meal are you talking about?  like a couple pieces of fruit or a small sandwich?

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »
half a grape for breakfast and the other half for lunch.

As a reward you'll be allowed to drink a shot of wheatgrass for desert!

log

• Rep: 0
  • sukkot
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »
and weed.

When I smoked, I smoked on the weekends only and would notice I'd look pretty thin on Friday but Sunday I was a whale. Now I'm just normal and don't eat excessive munchies.
this is true

this was like every weekend for me this past year.  i ate well, exercised and worked full time but on weekends i'd smoke hella and much out alot.
hamster, you chewed on the peice of wood i gave you, you soiled the litter i put on the bottom of your cage and you drank all the water i put in your bottle...this is why we cant have nice things!

antihero

• Rep: -1
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »
Ok as part of university I'm doing a sport nutrition course so I can honestly tell you some of the information in this topic is completly wrong. Here's a few pointers:

Eat breakfast everyday. This gets your metabolism rolling. Nothing to fatty or sugary. Something like cereal is good

Work out how many calories you require a day. Theres a few formulas out on the internet I'm guessin you will be requiring about 2600 a day tho. Find 55% of this figure and divide it by 4 this is how many grams of carbohydrates you should be eating a day. Find 15% of the figure and divide by 4 to find how many grams of protein you should eat a day. Find 25% of this figure and divide by 9 to find out how many grams of fat you should eat a day.

Don't eat after 10pm

Drink plenty of water a day

Exercise. Especially cardio. Look into training zones to see how intense you need to exercise to burn fat.

golgo13

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »
yeah i try to eat every 2-3 hours. space my meals out.
keeps my metabolisim up and i have energy all day.
fruits,veggies,protein,water.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how small of a meal are you talking about?  like a couple pieces of fruit or a small sandwich?

Meal Size
the program that got me doing that is www.bodyforlife.com. they recomend a fist sized or smaller portion of protien, carb and veggie. Veggie is optional but when you only got 3 healthy fists to eat you really want the veggies and honestly, if the place your eating doesn't have veggies as an option it's probably be difficult to eat right (see fast food recomendations below).

Meal Example
yesterday I brought a sandwich to work. I got a shrink wrapped pack of seasoned roast beef (about 8 ozs) and then some low fat cheddar cheese and a fresh baked wheat roll (I was ironically "fresh baked" at the time). anyway, I made one big ass sandwich out of it and cut that in half. Each half of the sandwich was imbetween 1 and 2 fist in size. I had one around 11am. Worked out over lunch and then the other half around 3 or so.

Never felt full.

Also keep in mind that you want to keep the dairy's low fat or non-fat if possible and avoid anything fried.

Fast Food Options
Also if you must eat fast food here's a few things I usually go for

Jack In the Box
chicken pita no cheese

taco bell
two chic gorditas no cream sauce and no cheese (add jalapanoes...) and if you want to be hard core put all the chicken in one gordita and toss the other one

subway or sandwich places
6inch turkey or ham with no cheese on wheat, no sauce, no mayo, double meat

burger places
grilled chic sand on wheat, no mayo, no cheese. side salad instead of fries

This will cost a little more that just getting the dollar menu shit that will make you feel more full and probably be more exciting to eat but I presonally look at my meals during the week as being just for nutrition with flavor being a bonus. Then on sundays, I do a cheat day every week where I eat and drink whatever I want any lifestyle diet will have a cheat day. your going to cheat, may as well plan for it.

Shit has worked for me for years as a maintance and musle building type of diet. If you also want too loose weight you will most likely have to hit the cardio too. Skating doesn't do it for me. I am about to go do some right now. Here's my tread mill routine which is also body for life.

Cardio
Each number represents one minute at that miles per hour for a total of 20 mins:

4, 4
5, 6, 7, 8
5, 6, 7, 8
5, 6, 7, 8
5, 6, 7, 8, 9

this guy will kick your ass and never gets any easier no matter how much you do it. If you find it difficult then either lower all the numbers by 1 or do the interval stack (5, 6, 7, 8 ) and then set it back to 4 for a while and sip some water while you catch your breath. If you watch your heat rate you will notice that while you are fast walking on 4 that it is probably going to be around 160 and take up to 10 mins to get back down to around 100. At that time do another interval stack and repeat for as long as you can stand it. When you do this, then you are getting more burn for your buck on the fast walking (4) because your heart rate is elevated.

Doing cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast also is a huge help as it will jump start your metabolism and keep it runnig high all day.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 10:15:56 AM »
Ok as part of university I'm doing a sport nutrition course so I can honestly tell you some of the information in this topic is completly wrong. Here's a few pointers:

Eat breakfast everyday. This gets your metabolism rolling. Nothing to fatty or sugary. Something like cereal is good

Work out how many calories you require a day. Theres a few formulas out on the internet I'm guessin you will be requiring about 2600 a day tho. Find 55% of this figure and divide it by 4 this is how many grams of carbohydrates you should be eating a day. Find 15% of the figure and divide by 4 to find how many grams of protein you should eat a day. Find 25% of this figure and divide by 9 to find out how many grams of fat you should eat a day.

Don't eat after 10pm

Drink plenty of water a day

Exercise. Especially cardio. Look into training zones to see how intense you need to exercise to burn fat.

I find calorie counting not to be the best option for a lifestyle diet (one that you can maintain for the long haul). But if you do want to go that route then http://www.calorieking.com/ is a good site to use. You can also download a version that will run on your computer and even on your PDA. They do all the calculations for you, just tell them your height, how active you are at work, ect... You also enter in your exercise amounts and it will tell you how many calories you have left each day. You can even adjust your rate of fat burning if you like.

But once again, I tried it and just found calorie counting too high maintance and found the smaller than fist technique basically approximates this pretty well. The main problem is that you can't track alcohol\drinks with the fist sized portions technique but with calorie counting you can.

Rippey

• Rep: 4
  • damn the price, damn the odds
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »
Great thread.  Good info.
You're so cool...Yea, God made me cool.

antihero

• Rep: -1
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
I'm with you sleazy calorie counting can be a bit of an issue, but it gives you an idea what to go on. There are many ways to lose weight and something different is going to work for everyone. However there are a lot of less credible diets that are probly not the best long term. What I posted is the scientific approach supported by a lot of people that really know what they are talking about. For that reason it's one of the healthy eating techniques I completly back.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 11:22:20 AM »
Any diet that emphasizes portion control of one form or another will most likely get a thumbs up from me. At the end of the day

CaloriesIn - CaloriesOut = negative value

is what causes you to loose weight. There are lots of ways of doing that but any diet that claims eat all you want, is not going to work too well.

I was actually thinking about trying the colon cleanse as a non-traditional way to shed a few pounds. There was a thread on here a while back where someone was talking about the good results they got from that. Anyone know a good one?

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 11:24:06 AM »
I think you just have a fetish-lehehehe j/k