Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4801582 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #18900 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
Expand Quote
^Good skating but none of those turns were tight. Ventures do turn but nowhere near as much as Aces. Yes, you could skate them anywhere but the reason I came to the conclusion that they don’t work for me was tight spots and tight turns on tranny. Other than that, I liked them very much. And 5.8s are the only Ventures I’ve ever tried. I still have that set around and am tempted to try them once I get to skate but I am pretty happy with having Aces on all my setups now. The lure of the Venture pop is strong.
[close]

Let's invent a truck that has Venture pop with Ace turning haha.  I miss my Ace's a lot but then when I struggle less popping onto taller ledges it makes me want to stick with Venture and Thunder.  I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll never be  the transition slayer that I hoped I would progress to. 

Also, I'm 37 so in a few years I'll just end up on Indy 169's, a Hammerhead and 60mm slime balls and call it a life

Theeve with forged plates!

OldManSkate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #18901 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
Ventures with Bones Medium feels pretty good. Big improvement in turning compared to stock IMO. But I still prefer Ace...

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #18902 on: September 21, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
highly suspiscious slide marks here
[close]

Slide marks are from trying to get back blunts but to be honest every since my accident a few years ago my skateboarding is god awful. I'm not going to lie.  :-\ My accident totally ruined my skateboarding both physically and mentally. I try though.
[close]
Don't just keep trying ! Do it ! (while keep trying it)
[close]

To be honest I've now started feeling better lately. I lost my father a few months ago and was ignoring my skateboard. I also almost lost my mother last month so I haven't really been doing well in the mental department. I'm quite jazzed about skateboarding and life right now though. It just gets boring skating by yourself and your iphone. I'm 32 and haven't had friends to skate with since I was about 20, making friends as an adult is strange.

Keep your chin up. Good that you’re still getting out on your board. It takes my mind of shit going on in my life. Know it can’t compare to losing a parent but I just left rehab last month and being on my board is definitely helping to stay sober and away from old habits. Best of luck man!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #18903 on: September 21, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
highly suspiscious slide marks here
[close]

Slide marks are from trying to get back blunts but to be honest every since my accident a few years ago my skateboarding is god awful. I'm not going to lie.  :-\ My accident totally ruined my skateboarding both physically and mentally. I try though.
[close]
Don't just keep trying ! Do it ! (while keep trying it)
[close]

To be honest I've now started feeling better lately. I lost my father a few months ago and was ignoring my skateboard. I also almost lost my mother last month so I haven't really been doing well in the mental department. I'm quite jazzed about skateboarding and life right now though. It just gets boring skating by yourself and your iphone. I'm 32 and haven't had friends to skate with since I was about 20, making friends as an adult is strange.
[close]

Keep your chin up. Good that you’re still getting out on your board. It takes my mind of shit going on in my life. Know it can’t compare to losing a parent but I just left rehab last month and being on my board is definitely helping to stay sober and away from old habits. Best of luck man!

Luckily I have a wonderful partner that pulls me up when I'm feeling down. Thanks for your kind words dude. I appreciate it.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18904 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:02 PM »

Anti-Hero 8.28 L31.7” WB 14.12”
Venture 5.8 with dlx 88 soft clear bushings
Spitfire 50mm f4
Mob grip
Nike Janoskis
Stance socks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:41:57 AM by hangontoyourego »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18905 on: September 22, 2018, 08:08:52 AM »

REAL 8.38 Full SE, press location: IV
Indy 149 ti (w/aftermarket Indy orange conical)
Spitfire F4 Radial 53mm 99a
Swiss
Jessup
hardly art, hardly starving

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #18906 on: September 22, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »

Swiss
Jessup
What’s the difference between a full and a full se?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #18907 on: September 22, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Expand Quote

Swiss
Jessup
[close]

Full SEs have a shorter wheelbase.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18908 on: September 23, 2018, 06:32:07 AM »

Zero 8.5" with a massive 7" tail
Venture 5.8s with Indy super softs (78A) cuz that tail is half an inch too much with Aces
Zealous bearings with built in spacers. Shields popped cuz these have been in my rain cruiser.
OJ Keyframe 54 mm
Some bolts
Some grip

Gonna use this as my cruiser. Previously I've always kicked down boards I don't want to skate anymore to cruiser duty but I think I'll just retire them altogether from now and use a board I like to cruise on. This is the first Zero board I've ever had. I like their videos but their graphics in general are terrible IMO. This one I like a lot though. I also like Dane Burman unlike 95% of Slap.  :)

Went for a bit of cruise with it just now. Haven't been able to skate for over two months after having surgery to remove screws and other stuff from my leg. Physiotherapist still won't allow it but I went anyway as my leg is feeling a lot better. Just cruising around, bombing some hills and popping some ollies, taking it chill. The Ventures feel pretty good for a cruiser. Still would like more turn but it's less of an issue cruising than it is skating a spot or tranny.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18909 on: September 23, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »

Venture 5.8s with Indy super softs (78A) cuz that tail is half an inch too much with Aces
Zealous bearings with built in spacers. Shields popped cuz these have been in my rain cruiser.
OJ Keyframe 54 mm
Some bolts
Some grip

Gonna use this as my cruiser. Previously I've always kicked down boards I don't want to skate anymore to cruiser duty but I think I'll just retire them altogether from now and use a board I like to cruise on. This is the first Zero board I've ever had. I like their videos but their graphics in general are terrible IMO. This one I like a lot though. I also like Dane Burman unlike 95% of Slap.  :)

Went for a bit of cruise with it just now. Haven't been able to skate for over two months after having surgery to remove screws and other stuff from my leg. Physiotherapist still won't allow it but I went anyway as my leg is feeling a lot better. Just cruising around, bombing some hills and popping some ollies, taking it chill. The Ventures feel pretty good for a cruiser. Still would like more turn but it's less of an issue cruising than it is skating a spot or tranny.

Nice set up , ever take the bottom washer off maybe that would help with Turning . I like how loose it make it the trucks .

Pigeon

« Reply #18910 on: September 23, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
This one I like a lot though. I also like Dane Burman unlike 95% of Slap.  :)
Who did the artwork? I dig it too.

I feel the same way about him and Merlino. People say they’re dicks or kooks, but no one elaborates. (I just vaguely remembered something about Merlino fighting someone at Agenda.)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18911 on: September 23, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote
This one I like a lot though. I also like Dane Burman unlike 95% of Slap.  :)
[close]
Who did the artwork? I dig it too.

I feel the same way about him and Merlino. People say they’re dicks or kooks, but no one elaborates. (I just vaguely remembered something about Merlino fighting someone at Agenda.)

Boss Dog
https://www.instagram.com/bosssdog/
https://bossdogart.com

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #18912 on: September 23, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »

OJ Keyframe 54 mm
Some bolts
Some grip

Best grip job I’ve seen in a long time

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18913 on: September 23, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote

OJ Keyframe 54 mm
Some bolts
Some grip

[close]

Nice set up , ever take the bottom washer off maybe that would help with Turning . I like how loose it make it the trucks .

I fucked around with different bushing setups with these Ventures last winter but that was at a very transition heavy indoor park. Might try taking the bottom washer out next time. Did try taking the top one off and remember them being way too floppy then, even with stock bushings.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #18914 on: September 23, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »
AntiHero Help Dept 8.75" deck
Jessup grip
Tensor Reg 6.0" trucks with Bones soft bushings
Spitfire cheapshots bearings
OJs Edge EZ 101A 53mm wheels
1/2" Riser (off a Dusters cruiser)
1 1/2" hardware (off a Dusters cruiser)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18915 on: September 23, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »

Best grip job I’ve seen in a long time

Thanks. I always like to have something there and got inspired from the board graphic on this one. :)

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #18916 on: September 23, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »

Quasi Bledsoe 8.3
Indy 149
Spitfire Big Head 53mm
Reds

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #18917 on: September 24, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »

not too keen on the steepness but ill get used to it. blew a bearing, wiped the fuck out on a hill bomb then spilled water on it within an hour of buying it, good times ahead.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18918 on: September 24, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
Hell yeah Cosmic. Gnar for the National. Big fan of their team and everything they are doing as a company. I know what you mean about their concave. They make a steep and a mellow but I didn't know that before I got my first one a few years ago. The first one I had took a little bit to get used to, it was steep and really rigid. Everyone rips on Jart pressed stuff but those National boards held up just as long if not longer than anything. I can't get National from any shops here in the States so I usually order a few at a time from Native.

@hangontoyourego - I am digging your choice of 50mm on 8.28.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #18919 on: September 24, 2018, 01:25:38 PM »
Was between that one and a Heroin board but the National was on the deck rack in the shop whereas the Heroin was in the warehouse so I just went for the National. Funnily enough Native is my local! Hope you've got a few of the stickers slapped up over there, if you ever fancy a change the shop decks are pretty good too - graphics aren't great but the shape/wood is.

JoelyRighteous

• Rep: 6
« Reply #18920 on: September 24, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
Bigger setup than normal.

AntiHero Blue Meanie - 8.75 x 32.5 w 14.625 wb, #1 press
Indy Hollow Forged 159
55mm Spitfire F4 101 Lock-in
Bones Swiss 6
Mob
Indy hardware
Mini logo rubber 1/10" riser

Adidas Lucas Premier ADV

How’s this shape? I’m gonna set up an 8:75 and tossing up between a standard antihero vs the blue meanie
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:18:25 PM by JoelyRighteous »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #18921 on: September 24, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Indy Hollow Forged 159
Bones Swiss 6
Mob
Indy hardware

Adidas Lucas Premier ADV
[close]

How’s this shape? I’m gonna set up an 8:75 and tossing up between a standard antihero vs the blue meanie

So far, I dig it. The shape isn't too tapered and there is just some interest at the nose. I have a Welcome that has a big taper and the front trucks seem too small and the back stick out. I was a bit hesitant to get another shaped deck because of that, but this one isn't that far off from a standard deck. It is just interesting enough.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #18922 on: September 25, 2018, 06:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Swiss
Jessup
[close]
[close]

Not a Nate Jones reissue, sadly, but it's for a good cause.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #18923 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Swiss
Jessup
[close]
[close]

[close]

Not a Nate Jones reissue, sadly, but it's for a good cause.

yep.
hardly art, hardly starving

JoelyRighteous

« Reply #18924 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy Hollow Forged 159
Bones Swiss 6
Mob
Indy hardware

Adidas Lucas Premier ADV
[close]

[close]

So far, I dig it. The shape isn't too tapered and there is just some interest at the nose. I have a Welcome that has a big taper and the front trucks seem too small and the back stick out. I was a bit hesitant to get another shaped deck because of that, but this one isn't that far off from a standard deck. It is just interesting enough.

Nice thanks mate.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #18925 on: September 26, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »

AWS 8.75 x 32.54 and 15wb w/ free AWS grip
Indy 169s
Mini-Logo C-cut 53mm 90a
Super Reds
random allen hardware

First board above 8 inches for me, and it makes me want more (but with shorter wb). Was meant to be a cruiser but it honestly feels so nice since I downsized the wheels and got rid of risers that I might use it as an allrounder—maybe with slightly harder wheels in the future.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:58:22 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18926 on: September 26, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

AWS 8.75 x 32.54 and 15wb w/ free AWS grip
Indy 169s
Mini-Logo C-cut 53mm 90a
Super Reds
random allen hardware

First board above 8 inches for me, and it makes me want more (but with shorter wb). Was meant to be a cruiser but it honestly feels so nice since I downsized the wheels and got rid of risers that I might use it as an allrounder—maybe with slightly harder wheels in the future.

Jesus Christ, their graphics are fucking awful these days.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #18927 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
Jesus Christ, their graphics are fucking awful these days.

hahah, i kinda dug it as a cool illustration more than a straight up "board graphic" if that makes sense? like theres something Tolkien-ish about it. turns out its from an album cover.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18928 on: September 27, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
that AWS/ Dino Jnr board is fucking amazing

JoelyRighteous

« Reply #18929 on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:31 AM »
Decided to set up a new complete to try something bigger.

Decided to go with the shaped deck

Anti-hero blue meanie 8.75 etc
Indy 159 AVE
OJ mini elite 56mm 101
Bones Swiss 6
Diamond hardware