Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4807612 times)

jc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -73
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #18870 on: September 18, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
highly suspiscious slide marks here
[close]

Slide marks are from trying to get back blunts but to be honest every since my accident a few years ago my skateboarding is god awful. I'm not going to lie.  :-\ My accident totally ruined my skateboarding both physically and mentally. I try though.
[close]
Don't just keep trying ! Do it ! (while keep trying it)

To be honest I've now started feeling better lately. I lost my father a few months ago and was ignoring my skateboard. I also almost lost my mother last month so I haven't really been doing well in the mental department. I'm quite jazzed about skateboarding and life right now though. It just gets boring skating by yourself and your iphone. I'm 32 and haven't had friends to skate with since I was about 20, making friends as an adult is strange.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18871 on: September 18, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Slide marks are from trying to get back blunts but to be honest every since my accident a few years ago my skateboarding is god awful. I'm not going to lie.  :-\ My accident totally ruined my skateboarding both physically and mentally. I try though.
[close]
[close]

To be honest I've now started feeling better lately. I lost my father a few months ago and was ignoring my skateboard. I also almost lost my mother last month so I haven't really been doing well in the mental department. I'm quite jazzed about skateboarding and life right now though. It just gets boring skating by yourself and your iphone. I'm 32 and haven't had friends to skate with since I was about 20, making friends as an adult is strange.
if it's true, sorry for you, man, just keep going to the local spots, do your thing, you'll find friends among strangers

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #18872 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

That's heavy man. Sorry to hear that. Losing family members and recovering from injuries both can be a huge mental burden. Been there with both. Just gotta give yourself time and ease off yourself. It's ok to not be 100% there with your skating, or anything in life. Stressing about it all is too easy but isn't helpful. Gotta allow yourself to recover without putting excessive pressure on yourself.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #18873 on: September 18, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
New board coming in the mail but I'm not posting until I acquire slide marks that reveal intimate details of my persona which all will be encouraged to psychoanalyze.

cloudy

« Reply #18874 on: September 18, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
would very much enjoy it if feedback ted popped in here from time to time for a round of psychoanalysis. plenty of material to work with.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #18875 on: September 18, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »

Wknd 8.625
Ace 44s
Spitfire Classics 55/99
Reds
Pf Flyers

Hopefully my grip tape is causing shit_for_brains some discomfort
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:14:38 PM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Not Local

« Reply #18876 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
That's a nice one. 44s look good on that 8.6.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18877 on: September 18, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

8.3 Active board. I really like this shape. It's the closest to a legit shovel nose.
Thunders 149
52mm Sml Wheels
Reds
Van's ultra range pro

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18878 on: September 18, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »

Shoot, I was going to wait to post until slide marks, but I can't.
8.5 Polar
Big hollow Independents. IDK sizes
52mm spit f4 lockins
Reebok club c 85 - oh shit these things feel right

ungzilla

« Reply #18879 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »

i assume that he's already dead and/or you'll be dead shortly

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18880 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »

8.5 Polar
52mm spit f4 lockins

Lock-ins are my fav  &  Nice flooring . I’ve wanted to try skating those Reebok’s . What site do you use to post that photo? I have the worst luck posting

shit_for_brains

« Reply #18881 on: September 19, 2018, 05:01:05 AM »

Wknd 8.625
Ace 44s
Spitfire Classics 55/99
Reds
Pf Flyers

You could hit me with a car and not cause me discomfort

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18882 on: September 19, 2018, 05:08:51 AM »
Looking at your grip job increased my hangover headache this morning, especially when focussing on the middle of it...
trash compactor then fire, please ^^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:02:14 AM by the snake »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18883 on: September 19, 2018, 05:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote

8.5 Polar
52mm spit f4 lockins
[close]

Lock-ins are my fav  &  Nice flooring . I’ve wanted to try skating those Reebok’s . What site do you use to post that photo? I have the worst luck posting

Thanks. Imgbb.com

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #18884 on: September 19, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey what the fuck is going on with this place what kind of slides are you people doing or not doing?
[close]

I’d love to see a shit_for_brains slide mark critique thread.  I’ll post my deck when I’m ready to switch it out in about a week, it should give my man plenty of material to work with.
[close]

It's pretty standard. If you do a legit slide you'll get a legit mark. Any slide. Even a shitty one. Tail and nose should be against baseplates and going horizontal because that's how those tricks work. Board/lip should be mostly in the middle but a few near the baseplates hey that's fine skating is hard. Feeble/smith on the edges near the front trucks unless you're in Canada. Marks from fucking up legit slides and grinds are fine because skating is still hard. But if you come in with ONLY vertical marks on your tail on a 4 year old deck that looks like rats have been alternating between chewing and pissing on it and your griptape has reverted back to sand? Get out.

Great concept here.

How are we scoring pressure flip wear-marks on a nose/tail? Asking for a friend...

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #18885 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »

WKND 8.5
Venture 5.8
F4 Radials 56
Swiss

Enjoying the squared off shape so far

hey pickle

« Reply #18886 on: September 20, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
thats a fine lookin skateboard ^

everytime i see someone with ventures, especially 5.8's, it makes me want to grab a set but I cant pull the trigger for some reason. I feel like I'll get em and just ask myself why I didnt just get indys

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18887 on: September 20, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
I skated ventures for a while & thinking of going back but I don’t know how they will be for carving tranny . For street I like them just heavy .

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #18888 on: September 20, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
Ccs custom 8.5
Black panther ceramics bearings
Mini logo 54mm A cut wheels
Minilogo 8.38 trucks

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #18889 on: September 20, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
I skated ventures for a while & thinking of going back but I don’t know how they will be for carving tranny . For street I like them just heavy .

They're surprisingly great on tranny.   Very surfy carving

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18890 on: September 20, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
Ccs custom 8.5
Black panther ceramics bearings
Mini logo 54mm A cut wheels
Minilogo 8.38 trucks

Somehow your ccs flat hairy ass deck is the best thing you got going.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18891 on: September 20, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s what I wanted to hear . Thanks   8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:39:36 PM by hangontoyourego »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #18892 on: September 20, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »
Bigger setup than normal.

AntiHero Blue Meanie - 8.75 x 32.5 w 14.625 wb, #1 press
Indy Hollow Forged 159
55mm Spitfire F4 101 Lock-in
Bones Swiss 6
Mob
Indy hardware
Mini logo rubber 1/10" riser

Adidas Lucas Premier ADV
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:44:18 PM by backinaction »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18893 on: September 20, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I strongly disagree with BMCsteve on that. I love the Venture pop. I can’t understand it, but it is very magical IMO. But on tranny they just don’t cut it. They’re either floppy but don’t really turn or tight and don’t really turn. I am comparing them to Aces though which turn like a motherfucker absolutely anywhere but haven’t got that magical pop control.

Normal 5.8” Ventures compared to normal 44 Aces on a 8.38” deck with a 14.5” wheelbase.

BMCsteve

« Reply #18894 on: September 21, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I strongly disagree with BMCsteve on that. I love the Venture pop. I can’t understand it, but it is very magical IMO. But on tranny they just don’t cut it. They’re either floppy but don’t really turn or tight and don’t really turn. I am comparing them to Aces though which turn like a motherfucker absolutely anywhere but haven’t got that magical pop control.

Normal 5.8” Ventures compared to normal 44 Aces on a 8.38” deck with a 14.5” wheelbase.

This is not me (obviously) but this dude skates ventures and you can see he isn't exactly having trouble with turns or tight turns.  Tight turns on a small bowl in the first video and carves a 13ft wall followed by a huge 360 in the second video. 

Nothing beats Ace on tranny but the whole "venture's dont turn" thing does not apply to the 5.8 highs

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:21:15 AM by BMCsteve »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18895 on: September 21, 2018, 05:15:24 AM »
^Good skating but none of those turns were tight. Ventures do turn but nowhere near as much as Aces. Yes, you could skate them anywhere but the reason I came to the conclusion that they don’t work for me was tight spots and tight turns on tranny. Other than that, I liked them very much. And 5.8s are the only Ventures I’ve ever tried. I still have that set around and am tempted to try them once I get to skate but I am pretty happy with having Aces on all my setups now. The lure of the Venture pop is strong.

BMCsteve

« Reply #18896 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »
^Good skating but none of those turns were tight. Ventures do turn but nowhere near as much as Aces. Yes, you could skate them anywhere but the reason I came to the conclusion that they don’t work for me was tight spots and tight turns on tranny. Other than that, I liked them very much. And 5.8s are the only Ventures I’ve ever tried. I still have that set around and am tempted to try them once I get to skate but I am pretty happy with having Aces on all my setups now. The lure of the Venture pop is strong.

Let's invent a truck that has Venture pop with Ace turning haha.  I miss my Ace's a lot but then when I struggle less popping onto taller ledges it makes me want to stick with Venture and Thunder.  I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll never be  the transition slayer that I hoped I would progress to. 

Also, I'm 37 so in a few years I'll just end up on Indy 169's, a Hammerhead and 60mm slime balls and call it a life

hangontoyourego

« Reply #18897 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let's invent a truck that has Venture pop with Ace turning haha.  I miss my Ace's a lot but then when I struggle less popping onto taller ledges it makes me want to stick with Venture and Thunder.  I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll never be  the transition slayer that I hoped I would progress to. 

Also, I'm 37 so in a few years I'll just end up on Indy 169's, a Hammerhead and 60mm slime balls and call it a life

Don’t forget the Duffel bag to old all your pads . #dontbethatguy
Well I’m going to set up my
Ventures again this weekend & take them to benecia Park and see how they wok & now the question is what bushings . I have some doh dohs that should work fine

BMCsteve

« Reply #18898 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don’t forget the Duffel bag to old all your pads . #dontbethatguy
Well I’m going to set up my
Ventures again this weekend & take them to benecia Park and see how they wok & now the question is what bushings . I have some doh dohs that should work fine

I've been using the stock bushings but I think a lot of people including the dude in those tranny clips above use Bones mediums. 

I used to live in Pleasant Hill.  Benecia park is fun

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18899 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha. That'd be heavenly. One can dream.  :)

I haven't been able to skate for the past few months and thus I'm thinking of skating more and more and thought about maybe putting risers on Aces and getting a board with a really short tail. I haven't thought this through 100% but I can't see why that wouldn't perform the same as Ventures if the set ups had the same height and same tail dimensions related to the axle placement. 🤔 I've been even considering sanding down a tail to be exactly half as much shorter than the wheelbase difference between Ace and Venture. Though if that's a lot, that'd also make the tail lower, which would probably fuck shit up. :)

I briefly tested widening the wheelbase on a board by drilling new holes but you gotta set the holes so far apart, so you get separate holes instead of a very wide ones, that the wheelbase extends at least 0.75" or something around there. Forgot the exact measurements as it's been a while. Anyway, that was a terrible idea. Tail became way too short and it was just a horrible ride all in all.