Author Topic: ACL  (Read 41137 times)

Math Professor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
ACL
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »
ACL going under the knife.  Any rehab tips?

Stand and Deliver

Re: ACL
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
1) Get your leg as straight as you can get it right away.  I had mine done a couple of years ago and it's not totally straight.  It doesn't affect my walking or skating, but it's something that I didn't do correctly during rehab / PT.

2) Keep your head up.

3) Share your Vicodin.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
Ive said it here before book called Pain free by Pete Egoscue, any thing from that dude will help alot. Stay on the bike, strech and ice as much as you can. Listen to your body if something else starts to hurt take it easy and give it time to heal. DONT SLACK ON PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:29:01 PM »
Got the surgery this past August. Just  try hard to get everything back. walking & stuff. And it will all come to you. And vicodin wont hurt. Get Well..
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

sergio

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
Got the surgery this past August. Just  try hard to get everything back. walking & stuff. And it will all come to you. And vicodin wont hurt. Get Well..

the most my physician will prescribe me is 800mg tablets of ibuprofen. how do i get hooked up. my knee is shot to shit.

shutupbitch

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
my grate uncle told me that if yu rub crack on it shuld be otay.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:27:18 AM »
DONT SLACK ON PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 01:57:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm not too stressed about the surgery but definitely stressed about the rehab time.  It's gonna be tough not being able to be mobile for awhile.  I'm make sure to save some of my Vicodin for any of the Slap homies that need some.

bornindabay

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
fuck vicatin. stay away from any pill that's not a vitamin or doesn't have any benefits beyond a couple hours. Get a bike and a good lock. I have a bike that I use to bike the paths by the river but want to do more with it so I'll probably get a good lock so I can do all my errands with it too. Fall in love with your bike and do lots of rehab when the time is right.
Ask your doctor what particular ones you can do alot, and do them a lot. Rehab is the most important thing. DON'T SKATE FOR A LONG TIME! YOU'LL BE THROWING OUT ALL THE REHAB TIME IF YOU HURT IT.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
No Vicodin... I did get a bunch of Percoset instead.  My knee is the size of a melon right now.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
How's it feeling?

For my money, Percocet is just as good.  No acetomenaphine / liver worries.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
How's it feeling?

For my money, Percocet is just as good.  No acetomenaphine / liver worries.
Fuckin' pain control is good... Based on the docs recommendations I started taking Neuronton and Celebrex a few days prior to the surgery then Percoset after whenever I'm feeling it. Surgery's gnarly... I remember checking out stuff in the OR then the next thing I know I'm waking up.  It felt like I had just closed my eyes for a minute but the whole ordeal took about 5 hours.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »
Yeah, that how mine was.  I was cracking jokes to the nurses about how cold the OR was and next thing you know, I'm waking up.

Just keep your head up.  I know that I got better pretty quick.  Meaning I was able to hobble around like right after surgery, which stoked me.  But then it just seemed like it took forever to get to a spot where I wouldn't limp any longer, and that was really depressing for me.

I also made the mistake of buying myself a new complete a couple of months before I could skate as a motivational tool to hit the PT hard.  Didn't really work out how I planned.

First day back, six months to the day I tore it, I went down to Sunnyvale.  I did some ollies, some kickflips, got sunburned... it was one of the best days I've ever had.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »
Yeah, that how mine was.  I was cracking jokes to the nurses about how cold the OR was and next thing you know, I'm waking up.

Just keep your head up.  I know that I got better pretty quick.  Meaning I was able to hobble around like right after surgery, which stoked me.  But then it just seemed like it took forever to get to a spot where I wouldn't limp any longer, and that was really depressing for me.

I also made the mistake of buying myself a new complete a couple of months before I could skate as a motivational tool to hit the PT hard.  Didn't really work out how I planned.

First day back, six months to the day I tore it, I went down to Sunnyvale.  I did some ollies, some kickflips, got sunburned... it was one of the best days I've ever had.
You're saying you hadn't ridden for 6 months?  Holy shit.  I was hoping I could at least roll around 2~3 months after the surgery day.  I can already see the quad on the leg that I had the surgery on starting to soften up from lack of use.  I've still got a little over 4 weeks of non-weight bearing on that leg so I've still got a ways to go.  I need to check with the doc but I'm hoping to get on a stationary bike in about a week. 

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Yeah.  Six months.  The PT tech told me it would be eight months to a year before I would feel totally comfortable with it.

I was on the stationary bike two weeks after surgery, but wasn't in a spot to be able to even think about rolling around for at least six months.

Everyone is different though.  And it also depends on what you had done.  I had my meniscus repaired instead of having it cut out, so that added some time to my rehab.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
Yeah.  Six months.  The PT tech told me it would be eight months to a year before I would feel totally comfortable with it.

I was on the stationary bike two weeks after surgery, but wasn't in a spot to be able to even think about rolling around for at least six months.

Everyone is different though.  And it also depends on what you had done.  I had my meniscus repaired instead of having it cut out, so that added some time to my rehab.
I pretty much had the works done... replaced my torn ACL with my hamstring, fixed my lateral meniscus, my medial meniscus was completely destroyed so they just cleaned out the debris, then patched up a hole in my cartiledge using micro fiber punctures.  I think the surgeon said that my PCL was torn as well but didn't fix that.  Yesterday was 2 weeks since surgery and I'm hoping to hit the stationary bike this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:30:16 AM by Math Professor »

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 01:22:31 PM »
I think this is the most important time as not the let atraphy(sp?) set in. I started rolling around after about 4 months but no real skating until about 6 or 7 months. The mental shit is the hardest part to overcome but with time it gets easier but just listen to your body if something starts to hurt just chill let it heal then get back to the PT. Waking up was the worst part for my the feeling of the morphine wearing off mad me feel like a strung out junkie or something. They gave me vics and 80mg oxys but i didnt take one, I went for the herbal approach...................well weed mostly. Keep your mind and body stong and stay up. 

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »
No Booze - absolutely none. no smokes either.

Eat Right - lots of fruit and vegetables. no junk food or soft drinks. hydrate properly. go to the health food store for some advice.

Rehab - go to physio and listen to them. get a gym membership even though there are 'jocks' there. buy a bike and ride it         
            everywhere you go. you need to build muscle.

if you take those three seriously, you can be back in three months - STRONGER THAN YOU WERE BEFORE.
play the slack-ass cool guy, you'll come back weak and 20 pounds heavier, sometime around Dec/Jan08.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:47:12 PM by SOFT 7 »

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »
Lot of good advice here. I was able to roll on mine somewhere between 2-3 months. I rolled on a fiming board so it stopped the temptation to try tricks. I think not having a set up waiting for you is a good option cause if it's there you'll get tempted, I know I would have anyway.
I was able to start skating flatland at around 6-7 months and now around 8 months later can do most things. I haven't tried stairs or anything yet, due to lingering minor pains.

Hesitation is a bitch when you come back. I was so shit scared every time I missed a trick. It's amazing and scary how often your board lands back under you when you miss a trick.

Good luck with it and stay positive. The time flies and you'll be back before you know it. Sounds cliché, but that's how it was for me anyway.

I think this is the most important time as not the let atraphy(sp?) set in. I started rolling around after about 4 months but no real skating until about 6 or 7 months. The mental shit is the hardest part to overcome but with time it gets easier but just listen to your body if something starts to hurt just chill let it heal then get back to the PT.
Expand Quote
No Booze - absolutely none. no smokes either.

Eat Right - lots of fruit and vegetables. no junk food or soft drinks. hydrate properly. go to the health food store for some advice.

Rehab - go to physio and listen to them. get a gym membership even though there are 'jocks' there. buy a bike and ride it         
            everywhere you go. you need to build muscle.

if you take those three seriously, you can be back in three months - STRONGER THAN YOU WERE BEFORE.
play the slack-ass cool guy, you'll come back weak and 20 pounds heavier, sometime around Dec/Jan08.
[close]

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
Yesterday was the 3 week mark since the surgery.  The doc used some micro fracture technique on a hole in my cartiledge so I'm suppose to be non-weight bearing aka crutches for another 3 weeks to let the cartiledge time to rebuild.  I hit the stationary bike this weekend for the first time and it was motivating being able to move my leg muscles.  Once I'm off the crutches I start PT.  It's tough... I wanna skate so bad... even if it's just carving around or pushing down the street.

chip

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »
This thread makes me want to go see the doc.  Been putting off this left knee pain that comes and goes for awhile (hyper ext.), but scared to see the doc and hear the results.  I best man up if I wanna keep skating eh?  fucking knives and needles and shit...

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »
This thread makes me want to go see the doc.  Been putting off this left knee pain that comes and goes for awhile (hyper ext.), but scared to see the doc and hear the results.  I best man up if I wanna keep skating eh?  fucking knives and needles and shit...
That was my problem right there.  I tore my ACL about 4 years ago and never saw the doc and just kept skating and reinjuring it.  I didn't want to hear the bad news nor did I want to stop skating so I kept putting it off.  The surgeon that did my ACL reconstruction said that if I had it done back then, my cartiledge and medial meniscus probably wouldn't have been so fucked up and the procedure would've been a standard ACL replacement and not an ACL, lateral meniscus, medial meniscus debris clean up, and microfracture thingy to fix the hole in my cartiledge.  If you have insurance you should go see a doc and get an MRI.  After that, you can decide what you want to do... wait or get it done.

chip

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 07:11:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I am going to try and stay off the board for awhile and get an MRI to see whats up.  Hope your healing is going good.

bornindabay

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »
stay off the board till the doc says. I seen too many dudes work hard on therapy and blow it on one bail.
I hope the best for both of you.

meanwalrus18

• Rep: -1
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
i broke my collar bone, and my 4th metacarpal and have pulled my acl and sprained my ankles numberous times. id say water and advil and rest. listen to the doctors but id say avoid surgery if at all possible for any injury.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I am going to try and stay off the board for awhile and get an MRI to see whats up.  Hope your healing is going good.
Thanks.  Yeah... it's been 5 weeks since surgery this past Wednesday.  Not that I'm counting or anything....

sergio

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks.  Yeah... it's been 5 weeks since surgery this past Wednesday.  Not that I'm counting or anything....

what is the update good sir. i too will going under the knife.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
Good luck with it man - the main thing is that, as long as you take it easy whilst you're recovering, you will be skating again - as well as you ever have

I was really freaked out when I did mine 3 years ago - I snapped my ACL, tore my PCL and made some interesting shapes with the cartiledge; they rebuilt my ligaments using my hamstring and I have to admit I worried that I'd never skate again

I've been skating hard for the last year and a half (the rest was taken up by surgeries, rehab and learning to trust myself again)

People are right when they say that rehab and taking it easy are important - I found it the most frustrating time ever, but it has to be got through

(Just take care not to become an alcoholic etc - it's weird finding stuff to fill your time with when you can't move much and are used to skating a lot)

The main battle for me was psychological; once I got on my board I had to learn to trust the fact that my leg wasn't going to go again: it was hard o trust some flips etc at first (mainly in case I bailed) - but you have to force yourself and not let it beat you

I've never had a huge problem with it since - now and again it's a bit sore if I skate a few days in a row, but never too bad - and I can try everthing I did before (aside from very big drops - I still can't make myself risk doing them)

Good luck man - this whole thing will be a bad memory before you realise it

Oh - and to be honest the break (unintended) actually made me love skating more than I ever had before!!

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 04:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

what is the update good sir. i too will going under the knife.
  Things are going good.  My knee feels much more stable since the surgery.  There's still a little bit of stiffness if I bend it back all the way.  My muscles are slowly coming back.  I'm at physical therapy twice a week and things are moving along.  I feel like I could probably carve around at a park or push down the street but think it's best if I just wait a few more weeks.  I don't know if you talked to your surgeon yet but I'd recommend talking to him about the benefits of regional anesthesia.  My surgeon hooked me up with 50 percoset because he thought I'd be in tons of pain after the surgery but with regional, things weren't too bad at all immediately following the procedure.   Do you know if you're going with a cadaver ACL or your hamstring?

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 04:59:14 PM »
Good luck with it man - the main thing is that, as long as you take it easy whilst you're recovering, you will be skating again - as well as you ever have

I was really freaked out when I did mine 3 years ago - I snapped my ACL, tore my PCL and made some interesting shapes with the cartiledge; they rebuilt my ligaments using my hamstring and I have to admit I worried that I'd never skate again

I've been skating hard for the last year and a half (the rest was taken up by surgeries, rehab and learning to trust myself again)

People are right when they say that rehab and taking it easy are important - I found it the most frustrating time ever, but it has to be got through

(Just take care not to become an alcoholic etc - it's weird finding stuff to fill your time with when you can't move much and are used to skating a lot)

The main battle for me was psychological; once I got on my board I had to learn to trust the fact that my leg wasn't going to go again: it was hard o trust some flips etc at first (mainly in case I bailed) - but you have to force yourself and not let it beat you

I've never had a huge problem with it since - now and again it's a bit sore if I skate a few days in a row, but never too bad - and I can try everthing I did before (aside from very big drops - I still can't make myself risk doing them)

Good luck man - this whole thing will be a bad memory before you realise it

Oh - and to be honest the break (unintended) actually made me love skating more than I ever had before!!
  All the stuff you said is on point.  Especially that last sentence.  This is the longest I've ever not been on a board and I feel like I've never wanted to skate as much as I do now.