Author Topic: Today I listened to...  (Read 936144 times)

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Today I listened to...
« Reply #8520 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
All I'm saying is broaden your horizons beyond what you know if safe to like. Step outside of the comfort zone of what people told you to like, and  maybe you will find things that are better than what you think you're supposed to like.

It's ok if you say "I think this band is awesome!" and someone else says "Dude, that band is fucking terrible." Stop playing it safe and trying to look like some music aficionado while saying your favorite bands are the ones that are the most obvious.

I'm actually trying to help.

Unless, of course, you just are that generic of a person. Which is ok, I guess. It seems kinda bleak.

But mostly I just want you to stop posting terrible shit on SLAP. You do that by either stepping off the beaten path and discovering something interesting to talk about/post, or just stop posting all together.

I'd actually be happy if it were the former. But I'll take the latter.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #8521 on: April 09, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Wikipedia gives people credibility now.

I'm supposed to like Band X, I better go look up their influences to find out who else I am supposed to like.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #8522 on: April 09, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »

Bliz

• Rep: -36
« Reply #8523 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
Fallout boy
Panic at the disco
Gucci Mane
Biggie
Mercyful Fate
Black Sabbath
We the Kings
Curren$y

A.J.K.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #8524 on: April 11, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
All I'm saying is broaden your horizons beyond what you know if safe to like. Step outside of the comfort zone of what people told you to like, and  maybe you will find things that are better than what you think you're supposed to like.
Sgt. Pepper, take Via's advice.  There is way too much amazing music out there (both new and old) to limit yourself to the most popular or widely enjoyed band or performer in a given genre.  You remind of someone who claims their favourite skater is Cardiel.  Like yeah, we all respect the dude, but open your eyes to all the rad people (or in your case music) currently out there and stop trying to appear more mature or sophisticated in what you like.

I'm guessing you're fairly young, so do yourself a favour and try and outgrow this awkward stage of trying to find what you like sooner and develop a more unique and personal taste. 

Anyway, lately all I post in here is stuff by The National, but another new single came out today so fuck it.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
« Reply #8525 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

dankradschwag

« Reply #8526 on: April 11, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
Talkin' Smart by Project Pat, seriously, you'll laugh your ass off during Pat's verse.

Also this Sgt. Pepper's kid is blowing it as usual.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #8527 on: April 12, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
So I think U2 Sucks - but I heard this song a little while ago and really liked it:

So I looked into it and found this super interesting:

The non-album single was produced by Martin Hannett, renowned for his work with Joy Division, a band influential to U2. The band first met Hannett while he was producing "Love Will Tear Us Apart" with Joy Division, where U2 were silent studio onlookers during the session.

So then Ian Curtis kils himself - bumming out Hannett so much he doesn't go on to produce U2's first album. I just wonder how much of a ripple effect this had on how U2 turned out...

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8528 on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
^ That's pretty crazy. Got a link to where you read it from?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #8529 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
early U2 is the shit. 

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #8530 on: April 13, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »

Seriously, we get it. Everyday you listen to the most generic shit ever, then mention it in here or in the "Rate the song above you" thread.

Stop.
Ouch right in the self esteem. Good thing I got a first aid kit near by. Not sure what you consider "generic" but I wouldn't call anything I listen to that "generic" is it because it's not some stupid whiny indie hipster BS that is known by like 50 people. If you don't like it click the Ignore button buddy.

Your name is Sgt Pepper and your picture is of Bob Dylan. Generic means you touch on the tip of the iceberg of anything you delve into.

"Punk rock? Oh, yeah, I love The Clash. Minor Threat are really good too."

"Folk? Have you heard of Bob Dylan? He's pretty great."

"But you know, the best band ever are obviously The Beatles. I wasn't around when their music was socially relevant and somewhat revolutionary, so the big picture of their importance is lost on me... but plenty of people way older than me told me they were the best, so I jumped on the bandwagon."

"Horror Movies? Oh man, have you guys heard of this old guy Hitchcock? Probably not, because he's old, but man, you should totally check him out."

It's like you looked up different genres of things you're supposed to like, and attached yourself to the things you're supposed to like in them.
There wouldn't be anything wrong with liking these things individually, but every single fucking post you make is bragging about knowing about the most generic shit ever. It's not an opinion no one has heard before. No one gives a shit. It's just irritating.

Either put in a little effort and branch out from every norm you attached yourself to from watching a VH1 "I love the something: top 20 stuff" marathon, or just stop fucking posting.

Haha, what? Perhaps the dumbest thing ever said.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #8531 on: April 13, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »
For a long time I just associated Springsteen with the 1980s and synthesizers, but been listening to his folk stuff lately The Nebraska album is awesome.

_aminal

• Rep: -9
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #8532 on: April 13, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
glad to have found this on youtube
I wish I could guitar...

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138

Mark Renton

• Rep: 26
« Reply #8534 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
Can someone tell me some artists with the same vibes/sound as this?

JABRONI

• Rep: 43
« Reply #8535 on: April 14, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Ah, greetings, greetings, and salutations. I beg your forgiveness. My tardiness was unavoidable. Rava, my love. Elaine, my dear friend.. And you must be Jerry. Lord of the manor. Ah, my liege. A pleasure to serve you.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
« Reply #8536 on: April 14, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
I usually cannot listen to songs of this length but this ranks one of my favorite pieces of music of all time

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #8537 on: April 15, 2013, 02:50:12 AM »
Bumped this all day.

ConnyMas

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8538 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
I went and saw modest mouse last night and it ended up being one of the best shows I have ever been to.  Anyways it's led to a kick of listening to their music all day, they killed the ender with this:

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #8539 on: April 17, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
^ That's pretty crazy. Got a link to where you read it from?

It's mostly shit off of wikipedia and stuff here and there I read in researching this song, Via. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_O'Clock_Tick_Tock

Today listening to Howard Stern - the Tom Sizemore interview was pretty interesting. I guess he was with Juliette Lewis and had an affair with Elizabeth Hurley, even banged Heidi Fleiss. He's so good in Saving Private Ryan, always crazy to think how he was such an addict during those times. He went off on a great tirade against Mark Anthony saying he was such a piece of shit when he filmed with him.

A.J.K.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #8540 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »
Seeing them in June, pretty excited

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8541 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
One of my favorite songs from the time period when I first started skateboarding:
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

mex.ceferino

• Rep: 28
  • POWDERED TOAST MAAN!
« Reply #8542 on: April 17, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8543 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

Chipper

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8544 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »
Geeshie Wiley - Last Kind Words

Mark Renton

• Rep: 26
« Reply #8545 on: April 20, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »
A bunch of Francoise Hardy!

Im really digging old french artists..so far i know just her, something of charles trenet and stuff

Could someone help me and give me some good names of french artists of the past? better if women! Thanks  :)

mex.ceferino

• Rep: 28
  • POWDERED TOAST MAAN!
« Reply #8546 on: April 20, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
A bunch of Francoise Hardy!

Im really digging old french artists..so far i know just her, something of charles trenet and stuff

Could someone help me and give me some good names of french artists of the past? better if women! Thanks  :)

the first that comes to mind is that one song tom penny skates in barn mini ramp in sorry

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Shredsledder

« Reply #8547 on: April 21, 2013, 01:58:37 AM »
I may catch some flak for this, but this song is fucking awesome

Sgt.Pepper

• Rep: -167
« Reply #8548 on: April 21, 2013, 02:32:37 AM »
I may catch some flak for this, but this song is fucking awesome

Springsteen is so great!
"I'd be a teenage virgin, jerking off in my bedroom
 if I wasnt a 20 year old virgin that didn't have a bedroom."

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8549 on: April 21, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »