Author Topic: Today I listened to...  (Read 1515828 times)

Uinta High

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
Re: Today I listened to...
« Reply #9570 on: March 22, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #9571 on: March 23, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »
been on a big dire straits kick lately. this album is great.

Dire Straits - Down To The Waterline + lyrics

Uinta High

« Reply #9572 on: March 23, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9573 on: March 23, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »

Hell yeah! I hear Mark Knopfler is having a US tour coming up in the fall and I've never seen him before. Should be good!

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9574 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hell yeah! I hear Mark Knopfler is having a US tour coming up in the fall and I've never seen him before. Should be good!

just looked it up and his michigan stop is already sold out and the show isnt until october. the only seats left are $350 a pop!

my girlfriend told me about this vinyl mail order club that sends you a new record every month along with some cool art and a drink recipe. i thought it was too expensive (almost $30 a month for one record), but this months was J Dilla's donuts so i figured that i needed that. was stoked to open that up and jam out yesterday. you quickly realize that vinyl isnt really the idea format for that album because you have to keep flipping the discs which stops the music, but its still a great one to have. heres what the discs look like.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9575 on: March 24, 2015, 06:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

just looked it up and his michigan stop is already sold out and the show isnt until october. the only seats left are $350 a pop!

my girlfriend told me about this vinyl mail order club that sends you a new record every month along with some cool art and a drink recipe. i thought it was too expensive (almost $30 a month for one record), but this months was J Dilla's donuts so i figured that i needed that. was stoked to open that up and jam out yesterday. you quickly realize that vinyl isnt really the idea format for that album because you have to keep flipping the discs which stops the music, but its still a great one to have. heres what the discs look like.

Huh. Would Pittsburgh be too far? I'll prob be at the Pittsburgh show.

Also, I got dat LP with diff labels/cover art. I don't know if it's limited release or why it's not the regular album cover. I never really listen to it.

Uinta High

Greg Road

« Reply #9577 on: March 24, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »
Clark - really awesome techno with some heavy ambient sounds going on. Really amazing stuff

New Strung Out! It sounds like Strung Out. That's always a good thing.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9578 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Huh. Would Pittsburgh be too far? I'll prob be at the Pittsburgh show.

Also, I got dat LP with diff labels/cover art. I don't know if it's limited release or why it's not the regular album cover. I never really listen to it.

im pretty sure the original LP has that cover art and the CD had the portrait cover. the one i got was produced exclusively for the mail order thing, so i guess they chose to go with the portrait cover over the donut shop cover.

i dont know if pittsburgh would be too far. ive never been but id be down to check it out. will probably all depend on if i can afford it and all that stuff. if i get serious about going, ill let you know though.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9579 on: March 25, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »
I went to high school with this chick. She's a couple years younger than me and lives 6 towns over. Probably way out of my league but you know #WCW

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iwPlo_UZao

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #9580 on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9581 on: March 27, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
Radiohead, and some "sad Irish drinking songs" compilation cd.

shark tits

« Reply #9582 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:43 AM »
this and a bunch of bikini kill. suck. my. left. one.
Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains (official music video) with lyrics

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9583 on: March 28, 2015, 03:44:53 AM »
Clark - really awesome techno with some heavy ambient sounds going on. Really amazing stuff

New Strung Out! It sounds like Strung Out. That's always a good thing.

yes^

also Héctor Lavoe

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9584 on: March 28, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »

got all these today for $30. listening to them now.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #9585 on: March 28, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9586 on: March 31, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »

Found a bunch of old vinyl from the 40s and 50s in my parents basement. Im thinking it must have belonged to my grandparents. Anyways, this was there and is pretty fucking tight.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9587 on: April 01, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »

Found a bunch of old vinyl from the 40s and 50s in my parents basement. Im thinking it must have belonged to my grandparents. Anyways, this was there and is pretty fucking tight.
Hell yeah I bet that's got some of the first ever electric guitars on it (the original electric guitars were lap steels and mostly only popular in hawaiian music.) You got any 78's in your collection?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9588 on: April 01, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hell yeah I bet that's got some of the first ever electric guitars on it (the original electric guitars were lap steels and mostly only popular in hawaiian music.) You got any 78's in your collection?

no 78s. our turntable actually has a 78rpm setting, but you need a special stylus for them i guess. i honestly knew nothing about vinyl before i bought my girlfriend the turn table back in february. its a real cheap one with built in speakers and everyone online is kind of puzzled by the fact that it has a 78 setting but doesnt come with a 78 stylus.

my buddy has an old wind up victrola at his cottage with a bunch of 78s. that thing is pretty sick.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #9589 on: April 01, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
Black Sabbath and Dance music; works like a charm.

https://soundcloud.com/marvin-and-guy/uwihpreview

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9590 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

no 78s. our turntable actually has a 78rpm setting, but you need a special stylus for them i guess. i honestly knew nothing about vinyl before i bought my girlfriend the turn table back in february. its a real cheap one with built in speakers and everyone online is kind of puzzled by the fact that it has a 78 setting but doesnt come with a 78 stylus.

my buddy has an old wind up victrola at his cottage with a bunch of 78s. that thing is pretty sick.
Crazy. Had no idea about the stylus. Technics 1200 have or have had a setting for 78's at some point and I think we got some 78's down in my basement but my dad swears they don't exist. You've maybe inspired me to take a journey through all the clutter in our basement to look for them. I wonder what kind of music my descendants listened to on the great old format of the 78 record. I'm guessing most 78's are wax and not vinyl and thus the reason for the special stylus. I'll probably not play them if I find them or if I do I'll just transfer them over to digital.

In somewhat unrelated news, I found this company in the UK that does one off vinyl cuttings for ~70 bucks shipped. Kinda cool!

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #9591 on: April 02, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »
Country Teasers
Rowland S. Howard
Dark Blue
Middle Class

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #9592 on: April 02, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
Country Teasers
Rowland S. Howard
Dark Blue
Middle Class

Country Teasers are the best. I've always wished that they'd return to their earlier, more "Fall playing atonal honky-tonk" sound, but the dude's lyrics are good enough to make me like pretty much all their stuff.

Been on a Spider kick lately. Every few months it happens and I kick myself for not getting the record when it came out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOu9FS-NbY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQsGev0Zadw

abudabi

« Reply #9593 on: April 02, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »

gnarred. those guys are amazing. jealous of your purchase.

Bloody Matt

« Reply #9594 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10:58 PM »
Been on a Spider kick lately. Every few months it happens and I kick myself for not getting the record when it came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOu9FS-NbY#

What is this, The Spits? Guess I should just google it.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #9595 on: April 02, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not the easiest band to google. It was (is?) the bassist from the Spits and his girlfriend. I always liked the weirder Spits songs, and that's basically what this is.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9596 on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Crazy. Had no idea about the stylus. Technics 1200 have or have had a setting for 78's at some point and I think we got some 78's down in my basement but my dad swears they don't exist. You've maybe inspired me to take a journey through all the clutter in our basement to look for them. I wonder what kind of music my descendants listened to on the great old format of the 78 record. I'm guessing most 78's are wax and not vinyl and thus the reason for the special stylus. I'll probably not play them if I find them or if I do I'll just transfer them over to digital.

In somewhat unrelated news, I found this company in the UK that does one off vinyl cuttings for ~70 bucks shipped. Kinda cool!

from what i read, i think 78s have a wider groove which requires a wider stylus. if you have some and your turntable can spin 78rpms, id say look online for a stylus and give them a spin. most old stuff like that isnt worth much and even if it is, its probably more of a hassle to sell that its worth, so i wouldnt worry too much about damaging them. if theyre just collecting dust, why not pull them out and see what they sound like? theyre just going to take up space otherwise.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159

Bloody Matt

« Reply #9598 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not the easiest band to google. It was (is?) the bassist from the Spits and his girlfriend. I always liked the weirder Spits songs, and that's basically what this is.

Yeah same. Thanks!

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9599 on: April 04, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »