Author Topic: Today I listened to...  (Read 1512227 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Today I listened to...
« Reply #9630 on: April 23, 2015, 02:28:27 AM »

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #9631 on: April 23, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCwLD6-UdI

I also sharted today. Second time ever. Was at home, thank goodness.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9632 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #9633 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
The first forum I joined was a mars volta forum back when I was 18. I was so obsessed with that band that it became almost too much for me to handle. I spent so much time trying to learn about their music and the meaning of the lyrics and it became so exhausting. After that phase I got into gangsta rap because I felt like it was the furthest thing from the mars volta.

Great story right?
  Hahah very good story man.  Yeah I listened to them a bit too much at one point.  Recently I started getting sucked back in.  My interest is more about the guitar playing and composition of the songs.  It seems like Omar is playing the wrong notes, but they strangely fit.

Have you heard this album he did with John Frusciante: Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante Full Album

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #9634 on: April 24, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
Expand Quote
The first forum I joined was a mars volta forum back when I was 18. I was so obsessed with that band that it became almost too much for me to handle. I spent so much time trying to learn about their music and the meaning of the lyrics and it became so exhausting. After that phase I got into gangsta rap because I felt like it was the furthest thing from the mars volta.

Great story right?
[close]
  Hahah very good story man.  Yeah I listened to them a bit too much at one point.  Recently I started getting sucked back in.  My interest is more about the guitar playing and composition of the songs.  It seems like Omar is playing the wrong notes, but they strangely fit.

Have you heard this album he did with John Frusciante: Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante Full Album

omars guitar playing was what originally got me hooked. theres no doubt that the man is a musical genius. i have a few of his solo albums, but never heard that one.

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #9635 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #9636 on: April 25, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:04:50 PM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9637 on: April 25, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Anyone that's seen the movie "Woodstock" will be familiar with the Canned Heat version of this 1927 classic. Pretty fuckin stoked to find this, never knew it was a cover.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBkcBpLnzY

stiflersmom

• Rep: -14
« Reply #9638 on: April 26, 2015, 05:02:52 AM »
coil - the ape of naples  :'(

shark tits

« Reply #9639 on: April 26, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
i dug the sophie b hawkins slowed down on bronze, glad to find the actual song.
Nmesh - Dream Sequins® (Official)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9640 on: April 26, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »
I've been posting in here a lot lately...
Joyce Manor - (3) Beach Community
Cap'n Jazz - Take On Me

shark tits

« Reply #9641 on: April 26, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
always liked capn jazz's take on take on me

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9642 on: April 26, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
always liked capn jazz's take on take on me
Shark tits, I really like to gnar you whenever I have the opportunity but I just can't do it this time. 69 is too perfect.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9643 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »

abudabi

« Reply #9644 on: April 28, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
Anyone that's seen the movie "Woodstock" will be familiar with the Canned Heat version of this 1927 classic. Pretty fuckin stoked to find this, never knew it was a cover.
ha, that is sick. i didnt know that either. i like this one a lot better. ive actually heard another song from this guy on a folk anthology that is pretty killer, here Henry Thomas - Fishin' Blues

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9645 on: April 28, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ha, that is sick. i didnt know that either. i like this one a lot better. ive actually heard another song from this guy on a folk anthology that is pretty killer, here Henry Thomas - Fishin' Blues
Hell yeh Taj Mahal does that one. I haven't made it through all the American Folk Antologies yet but there's definitely some *at least* funny shit on it that influences all the 60's music.

abudabi

« Reply #9646 on: April 28, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
me too actually, i kinda blew it and stopped paying attention to which songs i hadnt heard yet. gotta finish that.
ive heard harry smith's anthology was more or less responsible for the folk revival, pretty crazy.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #9647 on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »

Great story right?
whoa! Which forum? The Comatorium? I was a mod on that board. I use to hangout with Anton,Katieahhh and noisE.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9648 on: May 04, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Great story right?
[close]
whoa! Which forum? The Comatorium? I was a mod on that board. I use to hangout with Anton,Katieahhh and noisE.

yep, that was the one. back in like 06-07. i dont even remember my username, but my posts were even more forgettable and underwhelming that my posts here.

shark tits

« Reply #9649 on: May 04, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
song about jilling off [w/ a crucifix?].
Tori Amos - Icicle

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9650 on: May 04, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »
The Temptations -- You´ve Got My Soul On Fire (HQ)

been trying to get more into soul and funk lately because im pretty unfamiliar with that stuff. i keep picking up albums from the record store from artists that ive heard of, but dont really know enough to know if its a good album or not and its been about 50% good, 50% not so good so far. today i blindly bought this temptations album because i didnt have any of there stuff and i thought this one had the dopest cover. i didnt get a chance to listen to it right when i got home, so i looked it up online to kind of get an idea of what to expect and it was sitting dead last on a "best temptations albums" list so i was a little bummed that i hadnt really looked into it before i bought it, but im listening to it right now and its really sick. real funky, not really any corny disco shit that a lot of these 70s records tend to have. definitely one of my better album purchases lately.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #9651 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
That Mother interview reminding me how much I love Alex Chilton.  Slop rock at it's finest

Alex Chilton - Hook or Crook

Alex Chilton - Alligator Man

Alex Chilton - Hey! Little Child

ALEX CHILTON covers "Jumpin Jack Flash" (1970)

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9652 on: May 06, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
i guess this album just came out yesterday. never heard of them, but im really digging their music.

METZ - Eyes Peeled

shark tits

« Reply #9653 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »

bottom feeder

• Rep: -1
« Reply #9654 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »
i guess this album just came out yesterday. never heard of them, but im really digging their music.

METZ - Eyes Peeled
Yes!  didn't know this was out already - the first album was great.  Nice one for the heads up JB

Man

« Reply #9655 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:17 AM »

BBQ_Streisand

« Reply #9656 on: May 08, 2015, 04:23:56 AM »
Saw an Alex G song posted earlier which reminded me of this compilation

http://orchidtapes.bandcamp.com/album/boring-ecstasy-the-bedroom-pop-of-orchid-tapes

Second song is easily my favourite song of his. The rest is pretty cool too. Great label overall and worth the support if you can spare a dime. Got the LP version which came with a custom scent on the sleeve and some photo inside. Kinda cool I guess..

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9657 on: May 08, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
Bad Times - Streets of Iron

goddamnit... i regretably sold this LP awhile back during a 'i'm broke and anything worth $ needs to go'.  it was post-Jay's passing and I think I got over $100 for it.  Jay Reatard does not get enough talk on this board (neither does eric o or king louie).

this kind of morning:
The Shangri-Las - Maybe - Promo Video

Shangri-Las - Out In The Streets w/ LYRICS

The Ronettes - Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love (HQ)

Ronettes - So Young

The Ronettes - Be My Baby

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9658 on: May 08, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote

goddamnit... i regretably sold this LP awhile back during a 'i'm broke and anything worth $ needs to go'.  it was post-Jay's passing and I think I got over $100 for it.  Jay Reatard does not get enough talk on this board (neither does eric o or king louie).

this kind of morning:

Ronettes - So Young

When you listen to chick singers do you find yourself thinking about dominating them and becoming the alpha male as you listen? Does it give you great power doing so? I don't dislike chick singers or anything you just caught me off guard with all dat. And no I don't think about Bob Dylan fucking me or anything like that when I listen to his epic verses. Bob Dylan, best emcee around. Bob Allah.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMKTZdkaU4

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9659 on: May 08, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

this kind of morning:

Ronettes - So Young

[close]
When you listen to chick singers do you find yourself thinking about dominating them and becoming the alpha male as you listen? Does it give you great power doing so? I don't dislike chick singers or anything you just caught me off guard with all dat. And no I don't think about Bob Dylan fucking me or anything like that when I listen to his epic verses. Bob Dylan, best emcee around. Bob Allah.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMKTZdkaU4

whoa... dominate?  no.  i would be lying if I didn't admit I have weird fantasy's of having Austin Powers-esque orgies with all kinds of 60's mod babes with beehive hairdoos when I listen to this kind of stuff....or just meeting an awesome girl who digs this stuff at all would be awesome as well.

60's girl groups are where it's at