Author Topic: Today I listened to...  (Read 1515924 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Today I listened to...
« Reply #10110 on: February 14, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations!
Did they do any other less heavy, more electronic albums. somewhat similar to crosses?

I think it's cause they have the word "def" in their name, I thought they were like a Sum 41 type band
"these tones are so def bro"
Was super surprised when my friend played them for me

Chino has this project, Team Sleep, that the album is like a mix of Deftones and the vibe of the Crosses one, with some more eletronic oriented songs... It's such a great album.

Rebirth of Enora - Let Yourself Be Cut (Official Music Video)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #10111 on: February 14, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
Plastikman "Sheet One" all the way through...

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #10112 on: February 15, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for the recommendations!
Did they do any other less heavy, more electronic albums. somewhat similar to crosses?

I think it's cause they have the word "def" in their name, I thought they were like a Sum 41 type band
"these tones are so def bro"
Was super surprised when my friend played them for me
[close]

Chino has this project, Team Sleep, that the album is like a mix of Deftones and the vibe of the Crosses one, with some more eletronic oriented songs... It's such a great album.

Rebirth of Enora - Let Yourself Be Cut (Official Music Video)

Cool, will definitely check out. Thanks for the rec, I appreciate it

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #10113 on: February 16, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
Been on a METZ kick these past few days. Good work music. Anyone got any similar suggestions that I can check out?

METZ - The Swimmer [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Totally different spectrum, but that new Gwen Stefani song is pretty catchy.  :-*

Gwen Stefani - Make Me Like You

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #10114 on: February 16, 2016, 06:45:15 PM »
velvet underground never a bad day for them
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jU9VN3r5x8U

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10115 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
so i see stuff about swans pretty often and i know a lot of people have a pretty high opinion of them, but ive never actually checked them out. i started with their first album yesterday and its got to be the most terrifying album ive ever heard. it sounds just like a nightmare. i would imagine if i were kidnapped and brought to some torture dungeon, they would be playing music like this. as horrifying as it is, i still found it pretty interesting. so minimal, yet so sinister. i cant really see myself rushing to play it again unless it was to scare the shit out of people on halloween or something. i thought this track was the most "enjoyable" if i can even call it that. the drums are pretty cool.

Swans- Thank You

i did a little more research on them because i wanted to understand why people love this music so much and i found that their later albums are some of the most praised from their discography. i got almost halfway through "to be kind" on the way to work today, and this is definitely a lot more listenable. still challenging, but very interesting music. their buildups are really awesome. this is my favorite one so far.

SWANS "A LITTLE GOD IN MY HANDS" (TO BE KIND)

anyone on here a fan and want to suggest an album or two. ill probably try "the seer" after i finish "to be kind".

rideflannel

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #10117 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
Dialogus inter Christum et fidelem animam

buxtehude was bach's teacher, his work stands well against bach's, this one starts off strong, but gets a little too much by the end

the new gwen stefani song is so sick, tho
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

N.L.

« Reply #10118 on: February 18, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
so i see stuff about swans pretty often and i know a lot of people have a pretty high opinion of them, but ive never actually checked them out. i started with their first album yesterday and its got to be the most terrifying album ive ever heard. it sounds just like a nightmare. i would imagine if i were kidnapped and brought to some torture dungeon, they would be playing music like this. as horrifying as it is, i still found it pretty interesting. so minimal, yet so sinister. i cant really see myself rushing to play it again unless it was to scare the shit out of people on halloween or something. i thought this track was the most "enjoyable" if i can even call it that. the drums are pretty cool.

Swans- Thank You

i did a little more research on them because i wanted to understand why people love this music so much and i found that their later albums are some of the most praised from their discography. i got almost halfway through "to be kind" on the way to work today, and this is definitely a lot more listenable. still challenging, but very interesting music. their buildups are really awesome. this is my favorite one so far.

anyone on here a fan and want to suggest an album or two. ill probably try "the seer" after i finish "to be kind".

Fuck Yeah. Check out 'The Seer' Its a more recent album and equally as terrifying.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10119 on: February 19, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
Plume (Remastered) - Smashing Pumpkins

kicking myself in the ass for never hearing this album/comp. good shit.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #10120 on: February 19, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Swans- Thank You

[close]

Fuck Yeah. Check out 'The Seer' Its a more recent album and equally as terrifying.

People tend to like the later Swans records because they're more dark and goth sounding, especially the stuff with Jarboe.  

I fucking LOVE early Swans, particularly the first album Filth.  

Swans- Blackout

You should definitely get the cd with both Filth and Body to Body on it... it has an amazing live track (Live at the Kitchen) from the Filth-era that is fucking brutal.  

Also check out Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money

Swans "Cop"

this is one of my favorite Swans later-era tracks:

Swans - God Damn The Sun (1989)

You also might want to dive into Michael Gira's other work, particularly the Angels of Light which I'm a huge fan of.  Way different than Swans... it's almost like post-rural American music but with that voice of his it's equally dark.

Angels of light - Destroyer
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:50:26 PM by bea! »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10121 on: February 19, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
<3 forever

Yeah that first one especially really had something. I remember posting "Devotion" here when it first leaked, and somebody said they liked it, but wished the singer didn't sound like a girl :-[

All their releases are quality, but they had some periods where things started sounding "samey". I listened to "Depression Cherry" today though, for the first time since it came out, and forgot how solid that album is. They've still got it.

And to JB: I remember being bummed as a kid, for buying "Pisces Iscariot", since it wasn't a "proper" album. I still listen to that "Landslide" cover sometimes, when I'm going through a thing with a girl.

Recently I've actually been listening to SP for the first time in awhile, but mostly "Adore" (love that album even though it didn't totally work), and working my way through "Mellon Collie..."

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10122 on: February 19, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »
listening to some late 70's German punk, has the lo-fi garbage can sound that Americans didn't get hip to till the late 80's.  

Big Balls And The Great White Idiot - Kick Her In The Dirt

pvc- i wish i could die

PVC - Berlin by Night (1982 ´er Version)

Pack - We Better Get Ready - 1978

Pack " Lookin for danger "

shark tits

« Reply #10123 on: February 20, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »
this song came on college radio, i guess it segues into a kid's show on saturdays but it's so catchy i've had it in my head intermittently for months. found out who it is today, thanks modern world!!!!!!
The Backpack Song!

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #10124 on: February 21, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #10125 on: February 21, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »

rideflannel

« Reply #10126 on: February 22, 2016, 06:39:50 AM »
Expand Quote
<3 forever
[close]

Yeah that first one especially really had something. I remember posting "Devotion" here when it first leaked, and somebody said they liked it, but wished the singer didn't sound like a girl :-[

All their releases are quality, but they had some periods where things started sounding "samey". I listened to "Depression Cherry" today though, for the first time since it came out, and forgot how solid that album is. They've still got it.

Totally agree. I like just about anything they put out but most of their newer albums I have to pick through to find that "one" song I really enjoy.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10127 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
  I listened to Esg.  My friend showed me them, they're from the early 80s I think.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10128 on: February 23, 2016, 06:05:12 AM »
  I listened to Esg.  My friend showed me them, they're from the early 80s I think.

ESG - Moody

this band? i was actually listening to them on the way to work. if you like them, check out tom tom club if you havent already.

Tom Tom Club - Wordy Rappinghood

Expand Quote
<3 forever
[close]
Recently I've actually been listening to SP for the first time in awhile, but mostly "Adore" (love that album even though it didn't totally work), and working my way through "Mellon Collie..."

Adore doesn't get the attention it deserves. Maybe not as solid or hard hitting as siamese dream and mellon collie, but i think it has some of their best songs. ava adore is definitely in my top 5 pumpkins songs.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10129 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »

BraveUlysses*

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10130 on: February 24, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »
Went back and listened to a lot of Get Rich or Die Tryin and The Massacre and rediscovered my love for 50 Cent. I remember wanting to be him so bad at one point. When I was 17 or so I started hating 50 Cent and music alike and got all into "lyrical" rap for a bit and had the most pretentious and obnoxious attitude towards anything that wasn't like that. Thankful I never maintained that outlook cuz those people are the worst to talk to when it comes to music.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #10131 on: February 24, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10132 on: February 25, 2016, 06:50:25 AM »
Went back and listened to a lot of Get Rich or Die Tryin and The Massacre and rediscovered my love for 50 Cent. I remember wanting to be him so bad at one point. When I was 17 or so I started hating 50 Cent and music alike and got all into "lyrical" rap for a bit and had the most pretentious and obnoxious attitude towards anything that wasn't like that. Thankful I never maintained that outlook cuz those people are the worst to talk to when it comes to music.

old 50 was tight.

50 Cent - Blood Hound Ft Young Buck HD

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #10133 on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:42 AM »
I was all about 50 cent when that album came out, times really change haha. Also don't think this counts but i overheard a jagged edge song as i skated past a car dealership today, stopped for a minute to have a listen and some dude stink eyed me so i carried on my way

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10134 on: February 26, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »
been on a power pop kick lately, but I will save those links for another day.

I've always dug "regional scenes", like when a certain part of the country gets hot for a year or two and there's an endless stream of great bands that get pumped out (and they all have a particular sound).

really into the early 90's lo-fi/garage/punk scene in Ohio, so many great bands at that time.

GUIDED BY VOICES - TRACTOR RAPE CHAIN

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments - Negative Guest List (1994)

Gaunt -- Jim Motherfucker (7" version)

V3 - American Face

runnin on go

Ego Summit - We Got It All

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #10135 on: February 28, 2016, 05:21:54 AM »
this song came on college radio, i guess it segues into a kid's show on saturdays but it's so catchy i've had it in my head intermittently for months. found out who it is today, thanks modern world!!!!!!
The Backpack Song!

I'm about to download that song so I can play it into work. Feel like that song might pump me up for a job I hate. I have to pack my backpack every morning too.

Sonic Youth - Titanium Expose

Been listening to "goo" a lot. Here's my favorite track from it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:24:18 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #10136 on: February 28, 2016, 05:31:44 AM »
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising

Such a good record, one of the best. I love how they punked everyone by dropping de la soul is dead too. I personally could have listened to one more "daisy age" record.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #10137 on: February 29, 2016, 02:27:47 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA

what is this modern day music?

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10138 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
I'm not even listening to that song cause I avoid drake as much as I can, but her song on the new Kanye is good

And yeah, that De La record is amazing obviously

But guy don't judge modern music off one song that's popular this week. There's contemporary people/groups making innovative and progressive music in every genre, all the time. Almost too much really, it's hard to keep track. And hell, sometimes there's even some pop/songs that get real popular, that still kinda kill it.

Tell me some stuff you like, and I bet I could turn you onto some stuff that came out in 2015 you'd be into.

nath.

• Rep: 17
« Reply #10139 on: February 29, 2016, 10:44:47 PM »
Ive been on a bit of a Bruce Springsteen binge the last few days