Author Topic: What got you into skating?  (Read 3076 times)

grimcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What got you into skating?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:20 AM »
Back in 1985 when I was 10, I found my neighbor's board in a ditch in front of my house. I played on it and always borrowed it until I got my own. I just rolled on it and rode down all the hills we had back home, and skated in ignorant bliss for well over a year before I knew that there were pro skateboarders or different classes of equipment (cheap K-Mart stuff versus skateboard company stuff). My perception of skateboarding changed in one day when a local grocery store had an issue of Thrasher for sale... that's when I first saw people doing tricks and skating ramps.

Fucked me up good.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »
got a firberglass bannana board when I was in 3rd grade and living in Singapore (probably 81). I used to haul ass around the apartments and just jump the speed bumps, never saw another kid on a board, video, mag, etc... one day a car ran over my board and slammed on the breaks, my board was upside down under the tire while the car skidded probably slid 5 feet. It was ruined, I was heart broken but no skateboards in the singapore, gonna have to wait till we go back to the US.

i got my next board in Jr. High (85ish). skateboarding just got real popular and my mom took me to Radical Dans and said I could get anything I wanted. I got an actions sports grim reaper because I thought it looked so much harder than all the other skull and cross bone boards. regreted that descion in no time but road the shit out of it anyway, used to ride it to school.

got my first real board (kevin stab) in 9th grade and that was when a friend of mine also got into it and he actually discovered the skate mags and this was when we actually started building ramps and trying tricks.

Lasero

• Rep: 16
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 07:07:58 AM »
my cousin had a board in his garage and i would play around with it whenever i was at his place. somehow one day i did an ollie (although i didn't really learn proper ollies until a couple months later) and got really hyped, so i saved some money and bought my own board and started going to the local skatepark... and here we are now..

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 07:42:32 AM »
i couldn't make the football team....

skatemore,man

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:57 AM »
I was walking down the road with my mom in probably 89 or 90 and this big kid jumped onto a wall with his skateboard and rolled off-i'd never seen anything like it, nothing quite so amazing.

Then maybe 6 or 7 years later when i was around 11years old i started listening to the misfits and the only other kid at school who liked the misfits rode a skateboard, i copped one from the junkyard, fiberglass with rollerskate trucks and eventually an older puerto rican kid who could bang out pivot 720s and skated with grace traded me a variflex sewer dragon deck for my soft wheels and i moved on from there. the powell mini logo was my first nice board though... whatever happened to used boards?

hamhead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -8
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »
got a board when I was 5.

chocolate pow!

• Rep: -3
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 11:02:22 AM »
i always had boards as a kid that i would just mostly ride around on my knees on it in the neighborhood, i specifically remember a pink freddy kreuger banana board that i thought was super cool because it was fast...i also had a vision gonz, my friend broke it by jumping on the tail thinking he was going to catapult me while i was sitting on it...after that my dad got me a hosoi but i didn't know what to do with it because it was just the board, i had no idea i had to put shit together...this was late 80' early 90's in south central LA....trust me there were no skateshops there then so no one really knew anything about skating....after that i rode bmx i guess to get around, but i never really got all crazy with tricks...just jumping off curb cuts and racing with friends

around '94 one guy in my neighborhood started skating, and he brought around this other skater from his high school that was really good...that guy looked cool and was doing flip tricks which i don't think i ever saw before...after that i bugged my parents for almost a year for a board...after we moved to a more suburban part of LA there were more skaters so they told me were a skateshop was and my dad bought me a setup, alien workshop, ventures, and spitfires....after that i was hooked...i loved skating so much...i can't believe how much energy i had as kid i would skate for like 10-12 hours some days...skateboarding opened me up to a lot of cool things...thanks skateboarding

as a side note...skating back before THPS was so raw in my eyes, it wasn't cool, adults hated it and there were only a few skaters who skated because it was fun times with bros... i feel that skating has become pretty jock...skaters nowadays vibe other skaters for no reason...i can remember one particular day skating at San Pedro High where skaters from Japan, Canada, and all over LA where skating and just having fun... and thinking how cool that skateboarding brought all us together...

skaters should be cool to skaters i guess is my main point, but then again back then it wasn't cool and there weren't that many of us so we understood where we were coming from...now it's a little different

p5

• Rep: 2
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
Saw someone skating alone in a parking lot at night. Right then I knew it was for me.
making today worse so tomorrow seems better

clientele.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • SLAP
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
my friend saleem had an old veriflex board that we used to ride around our block.
ever since then it was a wrap.

SLAP is for the haters.

beeda weeda

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »
I had some peice of shit scooter handle board when i was maybe 6-7, then years later 1996 (7th grade) I was bmx'ing around, alot of my friends were skating already, but I didnt wanan be a "follower" , but I couldn't resist, bought a santa cruz deck and some grind kings,  one of my friends had a copy of trilogy, and it was over, I was sooo hooked. 11 years alter, everyone else quit, I cant even think of quitting.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 02:10:01 PM »
the cool kids in grade 8 all had boards. i bugged my parents for one all fall, and finally got one at christmas (1986). when i got back to school after the holiday break, they had all quit! no exaggeration, i had just got my board and all the kids id hoped to hang out with and be like had suddenly moved on to being "alternative" (doc martens, gap clothes, depeche mode).

i was the olny skater in my school until grade 10

Whoa.......that brings back some memories.....I started in 1986 also.....pushing mongo,knee-boarding.....foot high launch ramps.....yeah!......my cousin is the one who got me into skating......I had a Hobie Fiberflex and then a Rob Roskopp III with some Trackers and Sims Street Wheels.......stellar.

I knew a bunch of kids that were into that whole Doc Marten thing......listening to The Replacements and Siouxsie and The Banshees.....I hung out with them quite a bit.

Everyone had pretty much the same set-up too........Black Converse All-Stars,Turquiose GOTCHA! pants(tight rolled at the bottom),and whatever t-shirt......sometimes a red patterned flannel tied around the waist.......a beret and sunglasses(knock-off Raybans) were also in check.....6th grade......hahahaha....wow.

Drawing pictures on the griptape with chalk and then using almost a full can hairspray to keep it from coming off.

aye,aye sir.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:16:39 PM by 1991 »
The poster formally known as 1992..

yeah dude!

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
My older brother for sure. I got my first board when I was 6 I think but didn't get into it until my 12th birthday. Of course after I got it my older brother quit. Then everyone I skated with quit. I skated alone in front of my house for at least a year. It was pretty tight.

TotallyAwesome

• Rep: -6
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »
like a bunch of dudes, i was into the bmx thing but it was too expensive.  got a hand me down john grigley iii board in summer of 88 and have been skating ever since.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
It was 1986.  My cousin and I got our boards on the same day.  Mine was a Madrid - John Lucero "Joker" and he got a Sims - Lester Kasai.

After that, we started skating our middle school with some of the older kids and made friends with them pretty quickly.  Years later, it would turn out that our town would be the breeding ground for some really amazing and legendary skateboarders.  It's strange to look back and think about all the kids I got to skate with who went on to do huge things when they were growing up.

SLUTBALL

• Rep: -25
  • kill yourself
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2007, 05:14:56 PM »
teenage mutant ninja turtles

i made my mom buy my first skateboard at a flea market only because it had the teenage mutant turtles on it, not because it was a skateboard.

mikefork

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »
i asked my parents for one and my dad was psyched. they didn't have the cash to through around back then(seven years ago) to buy me a board and have me not like it. they built a park a mile down the street from my dads house that i would visit on the weekends and he just bought me a board out of nowhere. i skated that park for so damn long trying to do what everyone else was doing but i was like the typical little kid who starts skating- little kid pop that couldn't even get up a curb. i said fuck it i will skate how i want to skate so i would go bomb hills and ride off curbs into grinds. it took three years of hill ombs and drop ins to start trying to learn tricks

the j

• Rep: -16
  • you know how i do
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki1P-etw8_Y

i was just playin around wit skateboarding when i was 10 and 11 but when i saw this it changed everything

quit

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 08:27:35 PM »
1988...this guy Paul...later known as "Crazy Paul"  he traded me a skull and sword for some baseball cards...the first time I saw him he was blazing down the street with no shirt on...red bandana...a big scab on his back..listening to Metallica on his walkman...he later exposed his penis to my friends girlfriend...not in a funny way.....I was a taxi cab driver..and I randomly picked him up..he had a little girls suitcase full of coke and grass....but I'll always have tons of heart for him for getting me into skating.

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »