Author Topic: Commercial D  (Read 1766 times)

SOFT 7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Commercial D
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:35:48 PM »
as a Canadian(I assume you are Canadian), what is your stance on the pricing of skateboard goods in your country? Do issues such as the North American Free Trade agreement, and the Canada-U.S Softwood Lumber Dispute get in the way? Do you think skaters in your country are being slighted by this pricing, or do you see it as chance to build and strengthen the Canadian skateboard industry thus stoking the economy?

isaac

Re: Commercial D
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »
i didn't notice any sign of free trade at in the prices of stuff at Anti-Social when i was up there last summer. nor any store in Canada for that matter.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
Well first of all, customs sucks! They hold shipments and look for any excuse to impose duties. Free trade my ass!

The weak American dollar has kept prices competitive, albeit slightly higher than shops in the U.S.

I don't know about the softwood dispute vis-à-vis the skateboard industry. Skateboards are made of hardwoods, so I don't see how that would affect the industry. Softwood lumber, I believe, is primarily used in creating the frames of suburban sprawl homes—a growth industry as much here as in the U.S.

I think the border issue has indeed stoked the indigenous skate economy. There are quite a few Canadian brands, but it's hard to tell whether there would be more or less if the flow of goods (and labor) across the border were freer (which I believe it ought to be).
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:39:51 PM »
Commercial D, would you say then that shop decks, pressed in quality, skater-run woodshops, are a good way for "core" Canadian(or any country for that matter) skate shops to attract business, continue to operate, put on demos, make videos, have teams, etc.?

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
Commercial D, would you say then that shop decks, pressed in quality, skater-run woodshops, are a good way for "core" Canadian(or any country for that matter) skate shops to attract business, continue to operate, put on demos, make videos, have teams, etc.?

Of course. It's up to brands to justify why their wood products cost more. All respect due to Jamie Thomas, but to me there's more value in the Powell Mini-Logo (or favorite shop) brand than in his Zero-Mystery brand. But if a Traffic board was $50 while the Mini-Logo was $35, there is, to my taste, sufficient strength in the Traffic brand for me to choose æsthetics over rationality and opt for the pricier Traffic board—since both are made of quality USA wood.

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
Do you think its plausible Commercial D, to say that the IASC argument holds absolutely no water anywhere outside the U.S ?

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:04 PM »
Do you think its plausible Commercial D, to say that the IASC argument holds absolutely no water anywhere outside the U.S ?

Or inside the U.S.

police_state

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »
hasn't effected me i always buy shop decks for $30 which are just alien workshop with a shop logo on them

police_state

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 09:11:26 PM »

i agree thats dead on

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
thanks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:43:25 AM by SOFT 7 »

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
Im not going to lie this is one of the funniest threads I've ever read, its like a full blown legit news interview
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 09:55:24 PM »
I was watching tv earlier, and a west 49 commercial came on. Some sort of welcome in the skate season deal. Buy whatever complete you want and get a pro deck for ten bucks. I could save myself over a hundred bucks by shopping at West 49, as opposed to my local shop. Nonetheless, I'll never take the mall store route. With that said, looking at it from an outsiders point of view, I can see what makes the mall stores like west 49 so marketable to the kids - especially when the parents are buying.

clay

• Rep: 27
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:50:21 AM »