Author Topic: Another reason why the skateboard industry is bullshit  (Read 2286 times)

natenola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Another reason why the skateboard industry is bullshit
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:38:48 AM »
I needed a new bike so i went to all the local bike shops lookin for one, i didn't find any that interested me. So i went online and said fuck it i'll order a bike online, turns out the bicycle industry is set up to where you can't order a complete bike online. So then what. You have to support your local bike shop. If ISAC and the industry were as down for skateboarders and local skateshops as they claim they could easily issue this policy.
And beleive this system works because the local bike shop got my $400 and not some big box online retailer.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Another reason why the skateboard industry is bullshit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
fucking wierd new people.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

jrock

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
dude's probably been skating longer than you've been alive

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:11:19 AM »
on his internet bike? you want some of this too you rat skinning baby fucker. who the fuck are the mods on this new shit board, there needs to be some savage noob raping.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

jrock

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:19:05 AM »
that dude's been posting on here forever, just not necessarily under that name, and I know for a fact that he's been skating ( and ripping) for over 20 years...don't know how that makes him a "noob"

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
The bike industry has their shit together. Those making money off it give back. There are tons of bike events in this town alone and they are all sponsored by bike people, not shoe people throwing their money around. Our Ramptech skatepark closed after our new one opened, and it was a bike company and a local developer who pitched in and got the city to let them turn the ramps into bike ramps. This happened in less than a week! We fought for 21 years to get a skatepark. The brains behind the bike industry know what's up and take care of their shops.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:32:51 AM »
they sell complete bikes online.  but you have to take it to a bike shop to get it put together.

unless you have all of those weird tools, but even if you do nobody really likes putting bikes together. 

headache

• Rep: -5
  • SHUTTHEFUCKUP!
    • Three stripe hype avatar image
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
If ISAC and the industry were as down for skateboarders and local skateshops as they claim they could easily issue this policy.
Maybe it says a lot about the difference between bike owner kooks and skateboard owner kooks. I know that business is sometimes grounded in greed but I think it's a little more apparent in skateboarding than in other industries.

It seemed there was a time in skating where owners who worked in it were happy to make a decent living.
That wasn't enough for too long. It eventually because an old boy's club of guys collecting money and cutting throats.
Rocco was probably the first to throw the rules out the window. What happened next?
Every other owner cursed Rocco publicly and then followed DIRECTLY in his footsteps. Rocco wrote the rules in the modern day skateboard industry. The ironic thing is that all those guys who hated him just became a watered down version of him for the most part.

FIXED GEAR!
A dingo hyena ate my baby.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:02 AM »

Expand Quote
If ISAC and the industry were as down for skateboarders and local skateshops as they claim they could easily issue this policy.
[close]
Maybe it says a lot about the difference between bike owner kooks and skateboard owner kooks. I know that business is sometimes grounded in greed but I think it's a little more apparent in skateboarding than in other industries.

It seemed there was a time in skating where owners who worked in it were happy to make a decent living.
That wasn't enough for too long. It eventually because an old boy's club of guys collecting money and cutting throats.
Rocco was probably the first to throw the rules out the window. What happened next?
Every other owner cursed Rocco publicly and then followed DIRECTLY in his footsteps. Rocco wrote the rules in the modern day skateboard industry. The ironic thing is that all those guys who hated him just became a watered down version of him for the most part.

FIXED GEAR!

Yup, you got that right. In fact, I was just noticing on Novak's post on Skull and Bones him quoting something today EXACTLY as Rocco quoted it 12 years ago, and the same pops up periodically from IASC as if they have their own language book.

natenola

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
they sell complete bikes online.  but you have to take it to a bike shop to get it put together.

unless you have all of those weird tools, but even if you do nobody really likes putting bikes together. 
You can get parts for a bike and peice it together yourself which is usuually some high end shit but if you found a ready to ride bike you like most of them are not available to order online, and it all says that it'ss because the mfg request it to be that way.
If the skateboard industry adopted apo licy similar to that like say maybe online retailers could only stock soft goods and accesories people would be forced to support their local shops. Or even forced them into a limited selection of hard goods, maybe logo boards and shit of that nature

hargo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »
are you guys communists or something? man, America is fucked up.

wallie

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Bike-at least $400 for a good one plus shipping.
Skateboards-starting complete at $59.99 for a semi shitty one.
Not quite the same thing.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:51:13 AM »
i broke a mounting hardware last nite

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
You guys know that it takes a lot bigger of a box to ship a complete bike than a complete skateboard right? That probably has to do with it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »
no one should give a shit what their bike looks like, it's a bike.

unless.....
hardly art, hardly starving

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
holy fuck

urujuay

• Rep: 13
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 03:13:26 PM »
on his internet bike? you want some of this too you rat skinning baby fucker. who the fuck are the mods on this new shit board, there needs to be some savage noob raping.
irony is back in it's purest form
Whats the big deal with roors? If you have to ask, you'll never know...

hamhead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -8
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
that dude's been posting on here forever, just not necessarily under that name, and I know for a fact that he's been skating ( and ripping) for over 20 years...don't know how that makes him a "noob"

What an epic first Pal post.

jrock

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
I'm a Slap Pal now?  Is someone going to send me a fruit basket or something?