Author Topic: Trick Tips  (Read 137706 times)

BFKskateboards

Re: Trick Tips
« Reply #360 on: August 14, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
front blunts on ledges? it just sticks for me, or itll slide but it feels like i'm not locked in properly. its on a marble ledge, so it can't be lack of wax/speed.
make sure the board is vertical as possible. and lean out a little bit too. most grind/slide tricks you have to stand like on top of the ledge, just lean outward a little. push it with your back toes and lift up and pop out.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »
ssbsts
roll up
pop a ollie
land in bs tail
ride away clean
ONTARIO CANADA

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
ssbsts
roll up switch
pop a ollie
land in bs tail
ride away clean

hesaidwhat?

• Rep: -2
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
backside 360's, wtf?

simple, board follows hips, hips follow shoulders, shoulders follow head
basicly make sure your head and shoulders do the 360 and the rest of your body should follow if you pop right
I tend to scoop them a bit

FS Smith on ledges? anyone

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
backside 360's, wtf?
[close]

basicly make sure your head and shoulders do the 360 and the rest of your body should follow if you pop right

learn them on flat bars first because the motion and locking is very similar...  with ledges you got to go a lot faster due to more friction between your trucks and the grinding surface... what i find helps is riding really parallel to the ledge and keeping your shoulders in line with the ledge as well... 

also, dont ollie too high and slam your trucks in, this is a sure way to stick and have a frustrating session...  you got to ollie just high enough to get your back truck on without smashing it on the coping. so remember to control the height of your ollie....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
nollie/half-cab kickflip
body moving forward while kicking back? 

youngblood

« Reply #366 on: August 29, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
front smiths are such a bitch on ledges. i used to have them but they feel pretty much impossible right now.

corned beef

• Rep: 12
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »
Inward Heels Wieger style?

I've got a good high back pop shuv and a decent heelflip, but I realize the foot extensions for inward heels are pretty wild when you have to combine the two. Should I focus on flicking straight out perpendicular to me or diagonally?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2009, 04:13:16 AM »
to whoever talked about FS Smiths on ledges:

just go faster than usual.  you'll slam a few times.  but i swear you'll get on a few and it'll just work out.

Also put shit loads of weight on your back foot.

I seriously need some help with krooks. I can tre flip lipslide the sickest handrails but i can't fucking do a k grind. Today I slid one first try but forgot what I did and tried for an hour trying to get another one to slide and it just wasnt working. I was leaning back and putting all my weight on the front foot, is this correct? Does anyone have a link to some good vidoe trick tips for krooks because this is killing me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
« Reply #369 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:22 AM »
Expand Quote

just go faster than usual.  you'll slam a few times.  but i swear you'll get on a few and it'll just work out.
[close]

Also put shit loads of weight on your back foot.

I seriously need some help with krooks. I can tre flip lipslide the sickest handrails but i can't fucking do a k grind. Today I slid one first try but forgot what I did and tried for an hour trying to get another one to slide and it just wasnt working. I was leaning back and putting all my weight on the front foot, is this correct? Does anyone have a link to some good vidoe trick tips for krooks because this is killing me.

i only just got them back earlier this year and for me there are 3 key points to crooked grinds:

1) go fast, so when you reach the end of the ledge, you just come off naturally without having to force it out too much

2) ride parallel with your shoulders parallel to the ledge with a slight angle....  the more parallel you are the lower your chances are of sticking and not grinding at all....

3) and i think this is the most important part, remember to ollie and position your board so you are grinding on the front truck, not the nose...  dont try to slap your nose in like you would for noseslides, for crooked grinds you have to ollie slightly higher so your truck is ontop of the ledge, scraping that fucking aluminum not the wood.... lock your truck not your nose... 

hope this helps...

Expand Quote
backside 360's, wtf?
[close]

oh yeah this bs 360 trick tip was really helpful... i kept reciting this while setting up for the trick and i managed to do a sketchy revert-y bs 180 with the revert.... hopefully with time the rotation become more natural...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

trafficjam

« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
nosegrind pop outs? i tried a couple tonight, got into em and grinded a bit and felt like i could have but it got dark. do you have to be slightly "overcrooked" before popping out?

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
frontside or backside? I do both, but I do them way differently
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

Truth, it also helps to lean back more than you normally would.

trafficjam

« Reply #373 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
frontside or backside? I do both, but I do them way differently
frontside

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #374 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
yea man, frontside i always do sort of an over-crook first, so at the last second it's sorta the same dismount as a crook pop-over on a flat bar

not quite sure on what advice I could give if you're already getting close. Just stay above the ledge as long as you wish to grind, then start leaning away from it when you intend to pop it out

though I've seen Colt Cannon pop out the same way most people do it backside, which is more similar to coming out of a crook on a flat ledge.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:37:32 PM by EricLogan »
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

sage

« Reply #375 on: September 03, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »

I've got a good high back pop shuv and a decent heelflip, but I realize the foot extensions for inward heels are pretty wild when you have to combine the two. Should I focus on flicking straight out perpendicular to me or diagonally?

I don't know what you mean by "Wieger style", but I do them by flicking almost straight out. Just give the board a good scoop and try to kick out so that your heel will hit the pocket of the nose as it's coming around. How well you time that is gonna determine how well it flips. You can also kick out diagonally, but to do them like that you need to pop it differently, kinda of like you're doing an illusion flip, so the board goes semi-vertical.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #376 on: September 03, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
backside 360's, wtf?
[close]

[close]

oh yeah this bs 360 trick tip was really helpful... i kept reciting this while setting up for the trick and i managed to do a sketchy revert-y bs 180 with the revert.... hopefully with time the rotation become more natural...

all the times i've done semi decent b/s 360's, i remember a tip i read in this thread a while ago. start the rotation like you are, but one you get past the first 180 degrees, start rotating your legs a little faster then your shoulders. if you look at footy of people doing back 3's their torso alwys finishes the rotation after the legs/board so try to keep that in mind. and it always helps me if i crouch down much more than usual.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
man trick tips are so pointless
ONTARIO CANADA

heat1

• Rep: 1
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »
Can someone tell me how to catch tre flips with the front foot really good?

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »

step 1

learn 360 flips.

step 2

if you can do 360 flips you probably already catch it with your front foot, you probably aren't doing the back foot kick thing that all the youngins are into nowadays but thats good. that shits lame.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
damn i just realized how pointless this is ,  they just need to fuck around till you can get it by your self or have someone actually with you that can help you

BriDen

« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2009, 10:29:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

step 1

learn 360 flips.

step 2

if you can do 360 flips you probably already catch it with your front foot, you probably aren't doing the back foot kick thing that all the youngins are into nowadays but thats good. that shits lame.
I found it helps to pretend that you're going to land and ride away with one foot (while learning them). Once you feel comfortable with that, work on putting your back foot on before you land. Whatever you do, don't end up getting comfortable landing it with one foot and putting your other foot on a la Wade desOrmeaux. CUZ THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIT.

heat1

« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
I can already do tre flips and when i catch them its usually with both feet but it would be nice to kind of catch it with the front foot first but not too overexaggerated

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #383 on: October 21, 2009, 02:47:59 AM »
so stoked! Went out yesterday and ended up doing at least 5 (out of a possible hundred attempts)

I'd be psyched to actually get this figured out. It seems like it was a lot easier to flip if I placed my back foot with a little pressure already on the toe-side scoop of the tail, but aside from that I've still got no real understanding of how it works or timing, it just seems like a happy accident any time it works out, but those few times were awesome. Thanks, dude!
Theyre not that hard actually. just put your foot a little but more up the board, like closer to the wheel. It will flip way easier.

ThatOneGuy

• Rep: -29
« Reply #384 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
Anyone have any tips on fs bigspins?

I can do them switch but my reg ones just go into a weird looking big heel motion, even when i dont move my front foot.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #385 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »

I can do them switch but my reg ones just go into a weird looking big heel motion, even when i dont move my front foot.

keep your front foot up on the front bolts, maybe a little lower, and have your toes hangin off. pop the fuck out of it with your back foot which is placed around the pocket of the tail and follow through with your back foot when you're turning your body. its all one motion, just keep the back leg comin around with you.

afterhours

« Reply #386 on: January 06, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
Sorry im new and im not sure if this has been posted before
but i need help with my kickflip, i can only land it with my back foot on the board and my front foot off or vice versa
an which ever foot lands off board always lands on the ground first

WWD4D?

« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »

It's all in the back foot scoop. Just work on getting that back foot scoop. Some people like to put their back foot in the lower pocket of the tail, but that's not really necessary. Just go for whatever foot positioning that you feel comfortable with that works. The trick pretty much works like a front pop, but scoop it harder than you would for a front pop, have your body ready to turn and your shoulders in that frontside turn position like how Reynolds explained in that one transworld FS flip trick tip video, catch the board and land. You might have trouble getting the full turn, but if you have your shoulders and positioning set well enough and your body is winded up just right when you do it you should just revert the rest of the trick automatically.
Man, I'm terrible with trick tips, hah. Hope what I said helped though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote

I've got a good high back pop shuv and a decent heelflip, but I realize the foot extensions for inward heels are pretty wild when you have to combine the two. Should I focus on ing straight out perpendicular to me or diagonally?
[close]

I don't know what you mean by "Wieger style", but I do them by ing almost straight out. Just give the board a good scoop and try to kick out so that your heel will hit the pocket of the nose as it's coming around. How well you time that is gonna determine how well it flips. You can also kick out diagonally, but to do them like that you need to pop it differently, kinda of like you're doing an illusion flip, so the board goes semi-vertical.

i ram the ball of my foot against the concave on my toe side...I don't really hang my toes off...you just sort of load up that side so when you do your pop shove, your board flips....for me at least there's no real flick....it's just pop...and get your feet out of the way....so yeah...it's the heelflip version of an illusion flip.  You  might kind of catch it at 90.....

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
Front board 270s and noseblunts on flatbars?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.